Maptacular is an Apollo application I wrote that lets you map addresses on your desktop (in vCard format) using Google Maps. You can download the public alpha binary from the Apollo application page on the Adobe Labs wiki, and if you’re interested in the source code, read the entry previous to this one.
Some important information on Maptacular (which I should have mentioned when I first released the app):
- Once the application is running, move your mouse over to the left side of the window. A drawer will open with contacts. You can click on the contacts for more information, and you can also expand the contacts into address cards.
- To map an address, drag it onto the map.
- To get driving directions between two points, "pin" the drawer open by clicking on the circle in the upper right-hand corner of the drawer, then drag your starting point onto the map. Once it has mapped, drag your destination address onto the map. You should get driving directions between the two points.
- Maptacular creates a directory in your documents directory (either "Documents" on Mac, or "My Documents" on Windows). Any vCard you put in that directory will get added to the list. Right now, you have to restart Maptacular for it to pick up new vCards. (I need to add some polling code one of these days.)
- When Maptacular runs, it puts a sample vCard in your Maptacular directory. I did this to make it easier to demo. If you don’t want this behavior, you’ll have to change the source. Just look in the init function — it’s very easy to disable. Someday, I’ll take this out.
- For a demonstration of how Maptacular works, you can check out this Google video.
- All the addresses and phone numbers in the sample vCard are fake. I’ve gotten tons of emails and IMs from people asking me if I meant to reveal all this personal information about my coworkers. All of the addresses point to offices or restaurants around the city. They look real because they had to actually be mapable. Oh, and most of the pictures are real, except for mine, who is my favorite character from Homestar Runner.