Apple’s recent announcement that it has lifted restrictions on its third-party developer guidelines has direct implications for the publishing options available from Captivate 5 and Adobe eLearning Suite 2. You can now author your elearning courses in Captivate and publish them as a swf to run on any Flash enabled device, or follow the steps below to publish the same as an iPhone app.
To deploy a Captivate course on an iPhone you need Adobe eLearning Suite 2, or both Adobe Captivate 5 and Adobe Flash Professional. You also need to install the ‘Packager for iPhone’ from Adobe Labs.
1. Get an iPhone developer certificate from Apple
2. Get Development Provisioning profile from Apple (A file that lets you test or distribute an iPhone application. You obtain provisioning profile files from Apple. A provisioning profile is assigned to a specific development certificate, an application ID, and one or more device IDs). More details here.
3. Create a Captivate project for the iPhone form factor – 320 *480
4. While publishing the SWF, turn ON this option in the publish dialog – “Enable SWF for conversion to iPhone application”.
5. Now use the ‘Packager for iPhone’ to convert the Captivate 5 swf to an iPhone app.
We will have a more detailed blog post to walk you thru this later this week.