A Theme is blended with a set of elements to simplify the process of creating projects with consistent look and feel.
Few standard built-in Themes are available with Adobe Captivate 6. When you open a blank Project in Adobe Captivate 6, the default Theme called ‘White’ appears, but there are other standard Themes present within Adobe Captivate 6 that you can apply and use.
Adobe Captivate 6 also lets you create custom themes that conform to organizational standards or meet your specific needs.
How to create a custom Theme
Before you begin creating a theme, you may want to be sure about your goal first. If what you are trying to achieve is just a colorful background or stylish font changes, pick your favorite theme from the Theme panel and make customizations accordingly.
Or if you want to create a Theme from scratch to meet your specific needs you can perform the following steps:
Firstly, you have to switch to the Default Adobe Captivate Blank Theme. To do this:
- Create a blank captivate project, Right Click on the ‘Blank Theme’ present in the Theme Panel and set it as the Default ( as shown below). Click on the ‘Themes>Show/Hide Themes Panel’ in case the panel is not visible.
Set the resolution in which you wish to create your Theme, for example 800 X 600.
- Create another blank Project with a suitable resolution. Click on the Menu item ‘Themes>Master slides’.
Master Slide View is displayed with a set of default master slides as shown below
As shown above, master slide panel contains four different types of master slides.
- Main Master slide
- Content Master slide
- Question Master slide
- Result Master slide
Customizing Main Master Slide
- To make changes that affect globally in the Theme, do it on the Main Master slide. Typical changes include changing slide background colors/Images, inserting objects, etc.
- It is good to customize the Main Master slide before you start building individual Master slides as the Main master slide affects all other master slides present in the project.
Adding and customizing Content, Question and Result master slides
- You can add and customize Master slides that meet your needs to the Theme by inserting placeholder objects on the Content master slide.
- To Insert a new Content master slide, select ‘Insert>Content Master Slide’ menu option. You can override Main master slide customizations on individual slides by using its Properties Panel.
- Similarly Question and Result master slides Properties can be customized through its properties panel.
- To customize a Question or Result master slide, click on the Question or Result slide placeholder objects on stage and customize its properties from its Properties panel.
Customizing Object Styles
- Objects or placeholders inserted in the project automatically inherit the styles defined in the Themes.
- To customize Styles, Open the ‘Object Style manger’ through ‘Themes>Object Style Manger’ menu option.
You can specify the styles of recording objects as part of the Theme by defining them in ‘Recording Defaults’. (Click on ‘Themes>Recording Defaults’ menu option).
Customizing Skin Editor
Themes also allow you to customize Skin and TOC properties .To customize Skin Editor and play bar properties, open ‘Skin Editor’ through ‘Themes >Skin Editor’ menu option.
Themes Properties can be seen in the following places
- Play bar Tab
- Border Tab
- TOC settings dialog
- TOC info dialog
Saving the Theme
To save the changes that you made to the existing Theme, click on the ‘Theme>Save Theme As …’ menu option
The Theme is saved as a .cptm file and it is automatically added to the list of ‘All’, ‘My Themes’ categories in the Theme panel.
You can set the new theme as the Default by right clicking in the Themes Panel so that any new project created automatically gets the new theme. This newly created Theme will best fit on the projects created with resolutions 800X600 (As specified in step 2).