Would like to put a note here to all our beta users and request you to report to us any instability issues that you might hit upon while using CFBuilder. For example, such issues could be something like editor becoming unusable, IDE freezing up, editing becoming unusually slow, system slowing down due to use of CFBuilder, certain file/operation causing editor to behave abnormally etc. Since such cases or any other similar ones are either not very consistently reproducible, or they do not have any straightforward reproducible pattern, in order to report them to us you need to launch CFBuilder from console, take a thread dump, attach and upload it in forums or mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is how you can do it:
On Windows – Start CFBuilder from console as CFBuilder.exe -consolelog -debug and keep using it. Once you hit upon the issue, take the thread dump using Ctrl+Break.
On Mac – Start CFB from Mac console. Go to /Applications/Adobe ColdFusion Builder/CFBuilder.app/Contents/MacOS. Then run ./CFBuilder -debug -consolelog. Use the “ps” command to find out the process id (pid) of the Java VM. Invoke “kill -3 ” where is the process id of the Java VM.
A thread dump will be printed on the console where you started Eclipse. Since it may be long, in order to Copy & Paste it, it might be necessary to scroll and/or reduce the font size (xterm: right-click > font size > unreadable).
Alternatively, you can use the handy stacktrace tool at http://www.adaptj.com/main/download
All you need to do is to select the CFBuilder process id from the current list of processes and get the thread dump. The tool is free if you use Java Web Start to download it. And works on MAC, Linux & Windows.
Follow the link and select button “Launch” (press “OK” to “Run as a Java WebStart Application”)
Select menu Process > Select
In the combo box “Process ID” press the “…” button, select application and click OK
Pick menu Process > Thread Dump
File > Save As (enter some name e.g. C:\myThreadDump.txt)
CFBuilder Beta2 will expire on January 1st.Please plan your upgrade to Beat3 so that you don’t have to do the upgrade on an extremely busy day.Last time we noticed many were affected because we didn’t notify in advance that CFBuilder will expire and were forced to do the upgrade in a hurry. You can download beta3 from here
- SQL editor now has the tab for executing a query. Currently, you can execute only a ‘select’ statement in the SQL editor and it fetches all records at once.
- Code assist has been added for Select, Insert, Update and Delete statements .
- More intelligence have been added to SQL code assist to ensure that code assist for appropriate tables and columns are displayed only at relevant places while typing.
Do let us know if you like what you see in SQL code assist and also what enhancements you would like to see in future releases.
Beta3 build of CFBuilder has some handy datasource specific code assist:
- As the ‘datasource’ attribute of tag is no longer mandatory, if this.datasource is specified in Application.cfc, CFBuilder intelligently picks that up and shows appropriate assist for tables and columns
- this.datasource in Application.cfc shows the available datasources
- <cfdbinfo> tag also shows code assist on tables and columns wherever applicable based on the datasource specified
Please note that CF server needs to be associated with your project in order to get datasource specific code assist.
Code assist now has a brand new addition under its umbrella – ORM code assist! Do try your hands on them and let us know your feedback.
Couple of ORM specific code assist that CFBuilder provides:
- for This.ormsettings in Application.cfc
- for entity names in entityLoad(), entityNew() and entityFindByPK() functions and method names for variables created in relevant cases
- for methods and properties returned by entityLoad(), entityNew() and entityFindByPK() functions
- for attributes table, discriminatorcolumn and joincolumn of cfcomponent tag
- if entity name is not speficied for ORM cfc, it is considered to be same as cfc name
- for code hyperlinks for entity names and methods
- for attributes of cfproperty – name, fieldtype, linktable, fkcolumn, inversejoincolumn, cfc, column, structkeycolumn and elementcolumn
CFBuilder Beta3 is Live on labs.
Please go through the release notes and Installation Instructions before you upgrade the build.We have noticed that those who upgrade from plug-in Installation usually face some issues in upgrade.So when you are upgrading the plug-in Installation we request you to follow the install Instructions properly.The most common cause of hiccup while upgrading a plug-in installation is that many users keep the ColdFusion/ColdFusion Debug Perspective open in eclipse and then try to uninstall and install the new build and things go wrong.You can close these perspectives by right clicking on the perspective buttons and choosing close as shown in the screen shot.In Windows use the Uninstaller application present in the uninstall directory to uninstall CFB.In mac use the uninstall_cfbuilder script present in the eclipse directory to uninstall CFBuilder.
Do start eclipse in a -clean mode before you install the latest build so that we can make sure that all the files are cleared from the eclipse cache.Now Install the latest beta and you should get your perspectives properly.