Are you a power user – try using Insert HTML Snippet

,,,

Do you want manage Google Analytics using Contribute? Do you want embed YouTube video into webpage?’ You can achieve this easily in Contribute. To know how to achieve this, read on….

Contribute being a Simple WYSIWYG tool how power user would add codes on fly? For example, you can insert code snippets that run video or audio files in your web or blog pages. However, you can add code snippets only if the website Administrator has granted the relevant permission to your user role.

If the website Administrator has not enabled the Allow HTML Snippet Insertion option for your user role, the HTML Snippet option in the Insert menu will be disabled. However, this option is enabled by default, for blog entries.

HTML Snippet option in Role Editing dialog

How to insert HTML code snippets in web pages or Blog entries?

1. Create a new web page or blog entry.

2. Otherwise browse to a web page or blog entry and click Edit page or Edit Entry.

3. Place the insertion point in your draft where you want to insert the HTML code snippet.

4. Select Insert -> HTML Snippet.

5. The Insert HTML Snippet dialog box appears.

Insert HTML Snippet dialog.

6. Type the code snippet, or insert the HTML code snippet you have copied from another source.

7. Click OK.

It’s done. The HTML code snippet is executed in the pertinent draft.

We will go with the real time use case. For example, you found an interesting video in the youtube.com

and you like to embed that video in the your site. It’s very simple, copy the embed code from the right side panel

youtube page

In Contribute, create a new page and select Insert à HTML Snippet menu and paste the copied code in the Insert HTML Snippet dialog. Click OK in the Insert HTML Snippet dialog and publish the page to embed the video.

Insert HTML Snippet dialog

The video will be embedded fine.

After inserting the embed code

Another real time example is Inserting Google Analytics code. To give a brief about Google Analytics, is a free service offered by Google that generates detailed statistics about the visitors to a website.

Create an account in Google Analytics, register your website and get the Google Analytics code, paste in web page using HTML Snippet, for which you need the statistics.

Video demo for the insertion HTML Snippet in web page or blog entry.

Demo video for using HTML Snippet

var addthis_pub=”dmichael”;Bookmark and Share    Adobe Contribute  Contribute Publishing Server  Dominic Michael

23 Responses to Are you a power user – try using Insert HTML Snippet

1. Patrick Ackerman says:

I’ve tried this technique in Contribute for embedding a YouTube video. It works initially, but when the page is edited and published the object code is replaced with script code and the video no longer plays in IE. Any ideas?

2. Sara says:

I love that I can insert an html snippet, but how do I delete one? I keep trying in Contribute to delete, but it tells me I can’t do it in that region of the page. What am I missing? Thanks!

3. I am trying to insert HTML snippet but when I get to the box to inter the code the “paste” button is grayed out

4. How do you delete it? I am having a hard time removing it. Please help!

• Michael Dominic says:

Are you facing problem in deleting the inserted content (through HTML Snippet option) in the webpage? Can you please give the scenario of your exact problem?

• I loaded an html snippet on the webpage and decided to delete it. When i went back to remove the snippet it gives me a response of “You cannot perform this action in this region of the page”….does that help? Thanks –

5. Kim D says:

Same problem here. Can’t delet or change it. Ever figure anything out?

6. Rob Moore says:

1. In the main menu go to >File>Actions>Edit page source in external application
    2. In the external app (usually notepad). find the code you want to remove and delete it
    3. Save the file
    4. Return to Contribute and publish the page

• Angie says:

This sounds like it would help my problem (can’t delete certain html snippets), but Contribute is trying to open Dreamweaver, which I haven’t had on my computer for a couple of years. Any idea how to tell Contribute to use a different program?

Cheers!

• Michael Dominic says:

You can set in the Contribute preference to use different program for external editing.
        Steps:
        1) Launch Contribute.
        2) Select Edit –> Preferences…
        3) Select File Editors category in the left panel.
        4) Select the extension for which you want to set new editor.
        5) In the Editors tab, click on the + button to add new program and make that as primary.

Hope this helps you.

7. Jason says:

I’m trying to add a scrolling text widget on our website. I’m able to post a flash widget but an HTML/Javascript widget will not display correctly. I’m using Adobe Contribute 4 and a widget from Widgetbox. Any suggestions?

8. Samantha says:

I’m trying to delete the HTML code in the external application, but when I go to it, I cannot see the HTML code to delete. Any ideas?

9. My problem is somewhat different. On any page, new or old, I can insert a snippit for one product shopping cart. Despite using the correct code, I cannot insert a snippit for a second product shopping cart. My shopping cart supplier says it’s the code that’s wrong or corrupted, but I’ve had it checked and the code is correct. Another Mac person told me that the problem is with Contribute. Is there some “trick” to putting more than one product shopping cart on a page? Does the page need to be segmented in some way?

10. Gillian says:

I am having the same problem as Judith did on Au 19th. I followed the directions that Rob gave and it worked as instructed. i opened the page in textedit. i also did not see the code that I wanted to delete, so i just deleted the space. When I try to save, it tells me that it will save as RFTD (or was it RTFD), do I want that? Should I save it?

11. Bill says:

Also cannot find the code to delete a snippet. Can’t Adobe find a way to solve this problem?

12. Joe says:

I’m having the same problems with trying to remove a snippet on a page because Google Analytics is not picking up that page. I’m using Contribute CS4 on a Mac and am considering upgrading to 5.5 before I go to a completely different CMS. Has anyone found a remedy because it appears some of these questions remain unanswered?

Note: I also tried the external edit route and Text Edit was no help at all. I don’t have Dreamweaver on this Mac so there’s no way to test that.

13. Don says:

I want to insert a counter script and cannot find the insert html snippet function. Using contribute 4.0

14. tracey says:

sporadic ability of uploading of pdfs- am using adobe pdfs versions 1.4 through 1.7, sometimes cannot be uploaded to the server – this error appears…am on snow leopard/MAC

Exception thrown in Native function

this triggered and I can’t find out what is causing it OR what it means. HELP! It has also been triggered when uploading a docx and and xlsx, but more often it doesn’t like the pdfs

I get this error on pdfs that have already been successfully uploaded on other days – weird – WHY?????