Submitting Crash Reports

In this article I explain what the Adobe Crash Reporter is, why you submit crash reports, and how to submit crash reports in an effective manner.

Table of Contents:

What is Adobe Crash Reporter?

In the unfortunate event that Photoshop should crash, the Adobe Crash Reporter can collect a log of what Photoshop was doing at the time the crash occurred and upload that information into a database here where the Photoshop engineering team can analyze it.

Adobe Crash Reporter has been an invaluable tool for helping the Photoshop development team track down and fix the majority of crashing bugs in Photoshop

What is Adobe Product Improvement Program?

The Adobe Product Improvement Program is designed to help us understand how our customers are using our products so we can improve our products to meet your needs.

What information is collected?

• System information, such as operating system, processor, and memory installed
  • Browser type and version
  • Adobe product information such as version
  • Adobe feature usage such as menu options or buttons selected

Find out more about the Adobe Product Improvement Program here: http://www.adobe.com/limited/apip.html

How & why should I participate in the Adobe Product Improvement Program?

If you participate in the Adobe Product Improvement Program, it will supply our crash reporter system with the steps prior to crashing which can further help us track down and fix crashing issues.

To start participating in the Adobe Product Improvement Program (Photoshop CC 2014):

Note: if this already checked, you are already participating and you don’t need to do anything else.

To start participating in the Adobe Product Improvement Program (Photoshop CS6 – CC):

• Launch Photoshop and select Help>Adobe Product Improvement Program…
  • Click the [Participate] button.

Note: if the button says [Stop Participating] you are already participating and you don’t need to do anything else.

Why Submit Crash Reports?

Why submit crash reports to Adobe with your email address and description of what you were doing when the problem occurred?

1. With known issues, we can email you a solution for correcting the problem.
  2. For unknown issues, the more reports we have with detailed descriptions and contact info, the more likely we will be able to track down the problem and provide a solution.
  3. Thanks to the help of users who have submitted reports with email contact information and detailed descriptions, Photoshop is one of the most stable application in the Creative Suite.

In addition, the use of Crash Reporter during the prerelease beta testing period prior to shipping Photoshop CS5 was extremely successful in helping us identify issues from the major rewrite on the Macintosh platform (Carbon to Cocoa conversion).

How to Submit Crash Reports

On Macintosh, the Adobe Crash Reporter dialog will appear a few moments after the problem occurs:

1. Please provide a detailed description - If you can consistently reproduce the problem with specific steps, submit those steps. Even if you don’t know the exact steps to consistently reproduce the problem, try to provide as much detail as you can about what you were doing when the problem occurred: What operation were you performing when the problem occurred? What type of document were you using? Did you recently use and plug-ins? If the problem is specific to a particular file, feel free to post the file via Dropbox, YouSendIt, or some other free file sharing service and include a link to the file in the problem description.
  2. Please include your email address - Someone from the product may want contact you to gather more information from you or we may notify you of a fix or a workaround via email.

Please Note: The Adobe Crash Reporter should not be confused with either the Apple or Microsoft crash reporters, which do not send any information to us.

How can I troubleshoot a crash if Crash Reporter doesn’t return a solution?

Try these steps to fix most issues encountered while using Photoshop: http://bit.ly/Troubleshoot_PS

Adobe Crash Reporter Privacy

You have the assurance of myself, and the rest of the Photoshop team, that Adobe is not monitoring your activity through Adobe Crash Reporter. Photoshop detects the crash and we don’t know anything about it until you send the report to Adobe. The report originates on your computer. If you choose to submit a report (and we very much appreciate if you would) only non-personally-identifiable information is sent to Adobe. This includes information such as which part of the software encountered an issue.

Adding more information, such as what you were doing when the error occurred, is very helpful in diagnosing the problem. If you choose to provide your contact info such as your email address, it will only be used in case we want to contact you about your crash or notify you of a fix or a workaround. It will not be used for marketing purposes. You can send the report anonymously if you’d like.

These reports go directly to the Photoshop engineering team and it’s a tremendous resource for you to help us improve the product.

Thanks in advance for helping make Photoshop the best product it can be.

Additional Information on Adobe Crash Reporter

Changing Settings for Adobe Crash Reporter

91 Responses to Submitting Crash Reports

1. John Hawkinson says:

Hi, Jeff.

Is it possible to customize the address to which crash reports are sent, so we can triage them internally and forward them on? I find that our users don’t submit crash reports to Adobe (for a variety of reasons; mostly that they’re not comfortable with it and also they don’t take the time to write clearly about what they just did). Changing the AdobeCrashReporterEmail Info.plist property (Mac) doesn’t seem to redirect crash reports.

I posted a slightly more detailed query at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/830052. Context is InDesign, but I assume it’s the same tool?

Thanks!

2. Hi Adobe on our creative team Adobe Photoshop doesn’t crash for us, it freezes not allowing us to submit a report. We don’t use a lot of fonts, or prefs are clear, we use macs, all our computers have 4 or more processors, and 8 or more gigs of Ram. We use SSD drives, but was using regular HD’s before and thought that the crashing was a result of the seek read time on our HD’s so that’s why we pursued SD. But still, no resolution. Could you please help us? Jeff helped us at one time, and we thought it was memory issues, but it appears to keep happening. Thanks Again

Sincerely,
    Aman Anderson

3. pak says:

i am a windows user, and i can not find the sen crash report option. can i just leave my info here?
    windows 7 32bit / photoshop cs5.5 v12.1×32

Application Error (from event viewer in windows7):

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 12.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d90cf71
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x65637275
    Faulting process id: 0xdb8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cc429a7b17258f
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\Photoshop.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report Id: 538058f0-ae8f-11e0-80cc-18a9052287e8

4. Photoshop CS4 (11.0.2) crashes when I try to open file, maybe after the last Apple System upgrade.
    I already restored PS prefs, and run Onyx to check my hard disk.
    Photoshop only works if I create a new account as administrator.

I add the last Crash report.
    Thank you for the reply.

• Thanks. Unfortunately, there are no symbols in the crash report, so submitting it with your email address via crash reporter will help resolve the code.

Given that you can run with a different account indicates that there are OS/permissions issues. I would doublecheck that you have read/write access for both user and root library directories.

5. I am having a similar problem as Giovanna Fenti. I am using Adobe Photoshop CS3.
    When the user tries to open more than one file the software crashes with the message ” Adobe Photo Shop has encountered an error and needs to close” Does CS3 have the error reporting built in that I can send a file and track this problem down?
    If I log in as administrator or another user the software works fine. I have also tried giving the user admininstrator priveleges, but that did not work either.

6. stuart dahne says:

Windows 7 & PS CS6 crashes with Noise Ninja and or Topaz Denoise

7. Jane Klaus says:

I downloaded CS6. It was a zip file. If I clicked on it the file wouldn’t open and if I clicked extract all the following message came up:

The compressed zip folder is empty.

8. Norton Jensen says:

When I try to use Extension Manager CS6 it bogs down saying “Loading Extensions…” I have to use Windows Task Manager to shut it down. I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

9. Loren Charif says:

Beginning with the second time I started CS6 Beta, I get a runtime error R6034. I cannot continue to get the program started. I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled twice now, but am at a standstill.

Running Windows 7 64 bit. This only happens w/64 bit version; 32 bit appears to run ok.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Loren

10. Michael Yessik says:

I have had crashes with both Bridge and Photoshop CS6. The instructions here talk about Adobe Crash Reporter. Where do I find this?

11. Helen James says:

Using the Free Transform/Warp Tool causes CS6 to stop working.
    1. Select an object to transform
    2. Ctrl/T
    3. Right Click and choose Warp.
    4. Moving one of the points causes the object to show up very distorted then I get a Microsoft Message screen “Photoshop CS6 has stopped working”
    5. CS6 screen closes.

If I convert the object to a smart object it works fine.

12. Frank Tirrell says:

I was using Photoshop CS6 beta yesterday and which trying out the 3D sections, my system expierced and AMD Drive error. The system did not reboot; however, PS appeared to close and become non responsive. The icon was still in my system tray as being open but would maximize the program. I have use task manager to close the program. I had no other programs open. I have Windows 7, 64 bit – 4GB Ram.

Frank

13. Joel Holcomb says:

My Photoshop CS5 recently started crashing about half the time when I exit the program after an editing session. So far, it has only happened when I have both Lightroom 4.1 and Photoshop open at the same time, which is the way I almost always work. I don’t get an Adobe crash report, just a Windows warning that Photoshop has stopped working, and it asks to either search for a solution or just close the program. I do get the following information from Windows event viewer. I am running Windows 7, 64 bit, with all recent updates installed. All Adobe updates are installed.

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 12.0.4.0, time stamp: 0x4d9d8f8e
    Faulting module name: image_runtime.dll, version: 2.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4d9d8aa3
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000007cc2
    Faulting process id: 0x938
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd5665e927d16a
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\image_runtime.dll
    Report Id: 68974533-c25e-11e1-a712-002219149ed7

P6: 4d9d8aa3
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 0000000000007cc2
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\jholcomb\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Photoshop.exe_f352868a46da4dee7cf55dca28ae1f681f234f_1bdbaa10

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 68974533-c25e-11e1-a712-002219149ed7
    Report Status: 0

I’m looking for any help or suggestions what to do next. If it only crashes when I exit, at least I’m not losing any working files. I’m just worried it could get worse.

Joel

14. Jonathan Baumgartner says:

I am using the Photoshop CS6 Extended Student version. When ever I mark more than 17 pictures and want to change the color of the marking in the Adobe Bridge, the program crashes. This also happens if I want to change the name of the marking. The program also has already crashed, there though only once, as I pressed a button in the Photoshop.

A report on which it was written that I shall update the graphics card driver since the Photoshop crashes on the PC. I have done this after that but the problem staied

Here are any informations:

Grafiktreiber: ATI Radeon HD 5700
    Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0.1 (13.0.1 20120808.r.519 2012/08/08:21:00:00) x64
    Betriebssystem: Windows 7 64-Bit

Can somebody help me?

Jonathan Baumgartner

• Pete Green says:

First thing I would do in crashes of these kind is update your video card driver for the Radeon HD 5700 by visiting their website (not using the disk or windows update) — More info including further troubleshooting can be found here in this document: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html#troubleshoot

• Jonathan Baumgartner says:

I did that, but the problem is still the same. The Photoshop crashed too as I wanted to make a second light in a 3D-object with a report on witch it was written that I have too little RAM. But I have 8GB RAM. Since this morning I cant start the Photoshop. There is a report on witch it is written, that I have to activate the Photoshop. But I activated the Photoshop two weeks ago.

• Pete Green says:

It still sounds like a video card driver related crash, but could be old plug-ins too.
          What is the version of the video driver are you currently using? Which video card?

Can you provide your system info from Photoshop’s Help > system info dialog here too?

• Jonathan Baumgartner says:

I can’t post it. When I click “Post” the site scrolls up to the top. But I can’t see the things, I post to you.

15. David Wildash says:

I have downloaded the free trial of CS6 and every time i try and save a document it crashes.

Can you help?

16. Quandra Gray says:

i have been on all the forums…and tried to no avail to fix the issue of photoshop displaying the message ” Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document” i am running windos vista via parellel on mac ox. i need help

• When I’ve seen this happen, it’s usually because file is one type (say JPG) but it has a .TIF extension for example. Do you have a link to the forum post where you’re working on this issue?

17. sharon says:

crashes every time I try to play farmville 2. no matter if I try google, firefox or their own site zynga.com. please help me on this. I have up-dated and it still won’t work!

18. Ken says:

I am using Windows 7 and Photoshop CS6 Extended (64 bit), via Creative Cloud. After Photoshop has been open for just a short while, say 10 minutes of working, I get a windows message saying ‘Adobe Photoshop has stopped working’. It then closes down. This is often followed by the message ‘Windows has stopped working’ or ‘Internet Explorer’ has stopped working, but it always seems to start with Photoshop, because it doesn’t happen if Photoshop is closed. Please help.

19. Virginia Lincoln says:

Photoshop 9 crashes whenever I try to use the Panorama feature. This just started today. It minimizes and my laptop just freezes. No error message. Nothing. Just a frozen machine. No idea what to do about it. Alt-Control-Delete does nothing. I have to take out the battery and restart the computer.

20. Moulin says:

Mon PC Asus fonctionne avec windows 7.
    J’ai assez souvent un message: “photoshop a cessé de fonctionner, Windows cherche une solution” mais la solution ne vient jamais. La dernière fois c’était pire , plus rien ne marchait et j’ai dù forcer l’arrêt de l’ordinateur.
    Pourriez-vous me donner des explications en français? J’ai des difficultés à suivre ce forum en anglais…
    Merci!
    Hélène Moulin

• Google translated (sorry if it’s bad):

Je soupçonne que cela peut être le résultat d’un mauvais pilote vidéo ou un mauvais 3ème prise de parti po je voudrais aller sur le site du fabricant de votre carte vidéo et de télécharger les derniers pilotes et désactiver toute 3ème partie plug-ins. Vous devez également vous assurer que vous disposez des dernières mises à jour en allant sur le menu Aide de Photoshop et en choisissant “Mises à jour …”

21. Karen Lewis says:

I’m wrestling with repeated (several times per hour) crashes of Flash CS6.
    The following message appears in crash report:

“Adobe has found a solution or workaround for the recent crash in Adobe Flash CS6.
    Please click here for further details.”

Clicking leads just to the Adobe home page, where I’m left to flounder in the forums (which I’ve already done, repeatedly). This doesn’t seem very useful or helpful – to be told there is ‘a solution or workaround’ and not be linked to a specific thread or solution. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Running Creative Studio CS6 on a Mac 2×2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon desktop – OSX 10.6.8

22. What are programme errors. And how do I solve them. This is happening too often, since I started using cloud

23. SUBHASH CHANDRA says:

I am subhash raghav having 15 users in my organization using cs6 std. suite. when user use photoshop cs6 they compalin for crashing application many times in a day. an error message shown [” photoshop stopped working” check online for a solution and close the program or close the program] .mostly they face problem when saving files of applying color strock in a picture. they work with psd as well as tif files. when file size grown, problem increases. we have set preference and other releated options as suggested by ps experts but problem still continues. we have applied windows updates & also cs6 updates but it didnt reactify problem. no plug in is installed additionaly.please help us finding solutions
    we have following configuration
    windows 7 sp1
    i3 2.9 ghz cpu
    4 gb ram
    500 gb hdd

24. Stephen Malshuk says:

I can’t get Photoshop to open a file. It just sits there after taking a long time to open. I’m not sure if this can be classified as a “crash” when it hasn’t really gotten off the ground. It has worked fine until recently.

There has been no change in equipment or programming on my PC. Also, if I attempt to transfer a file from Lightroom to Photoshop it won’t open a file. In fact, you can’t close Photoshop. It won’t allow me to back up my catalog at that point either.

Lightroom works just fine if I don’t open Photoshop.

25. Nancy says:

Bonjour,
    je ne sais pas si je suis au bon endroit ni si cela peut être considéré commme un “crah problem” mais voici ce qui se passe: J’utilise Adobe Creative Cloud depuis environ 3 mois. Hier, j’ai fait les mises à jours nécessaires pour chacunes des applications que j’utilise. J’ai ensuite tenté d’ouvrir Photoshop CC et ce message est apparu :”Impossible d’initialiser Photoshop en raison d’une erreur du programme”. J’ai donc redémarré mon iMac(OS X 10.9.1) et réessayé de nouveau d’ouvrir Photoshop CC. Le même message est apparu. J’ai tenté d’ouvrir d’autres applications comme Illustrator et tout fonctionnait bien. J’ai désinstallé Photoshop CC et je l’ai réinstallé. J’ai redémarré encore une fois mon ordinateur et tanté à lancer Photoshop CC et le même message d’erreur apparait toujours. Ainsi, je ne peux pas ouvrir ni utiiser Photoshop. Pouvez-vous s.v.p m’aider?
    Merci

26. Mark Schmidt says:

Every time I try to use the filter Liquify, it crashes. I get the error, “Photoshop detected graphic hardware that is not officially supported. If you experience problems, please uncheck the Use Graphics Processor checkbox in the Performance panel of the Preferences dialog” which I have checked and unchecked, same problem HELP!!!!!

27. adj says:

Hi,

When in Lightroom 5.4 cc, i cannot modify a photo in Photoshop cc. i get this message:
    “Adobe Photoshop CC cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure Adobe Photoshop CC works with this version of OSX. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X”

Lightroom, Photoshop and Mavericks are up to date. i uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled, reboot the computer, but the message is still there. It was perfectly working 2 weeks ago.

PS: i also created a new admin account to make a test. The problem is exactly the same.

Please, help… i cannot work :-(
    Thx in advance!

• Does Photoshop CC launch correctly when you launch it from the finder? Can you open a raw file in Photoshop CC Ok?

• adj says:

Hi Jeffrey!

Thank you very much for your help.

- i uninstall 3 times yet and the problem remains. i used the Photoshop CC uninstaller found in: Applications/utilities/Adobe installers/uninstall Adobe Photoshop CC
        – Photoshop launches correctly from the Finder and i can work on RAW files

28. G says:

My cs2 is crashing when I try to change font size. This is a first time occurrence since the software was loaded over 2 years ago. Love this software and rely heavily on it. hope you can help. Running this on xp2 os.

29. Michael Beaver says:

I am having a problem with Photoshop CS6 where the filter: lighting effects, causes PS to freeze. I went to the video card manufacturer’s website and downloaded the latest driver, but the problem still exists. The card is ATI Radeon HD 4200.

My PC is Dell Optiplex 580
    AMD Athelon II x2 B26 Processor
    Plextor PX-128m5s ATA drive SSD
    windows 7 64-bit
    4GB RAM
    64 bit Photoshop CS6

What can I do to get this filter to work?

30. Derek Bailey says:

I just recently purchased Adobe Photoshop 3.0 but its not installing because windows 8 says I cannot install it. Any downloads available to help with installation?

31. Piero Annoni says:

Photoshop keep crashing when brush is selected and trying to use it!

ver: PSCC win64 just updated

Piero

32. Heather says:

Purchased PS bundled with Lightroom several months ago. Crashes of the whole computer, not just the program, mean that I have not tried to do very much with PS at all. I can report that the problem has occurred several times when I have tried to Sharpen a photo. Definitely has happened with Sharpen>Shake reduction, but not sure whether it has happened with other Sharpen functions.

33. Deirdre Griswold says:

My photoshop will not work. It says that I am not the adminstrator.

34. Walter Walenda says:

I am working on windows 7 system. The system freezes when I go to move photos from Bridge to Photoshop.The Photoshop screen says,”Scanning for Plugins”. The system is cleared when I use the task manager. CS6 64 bit Photoshop also freezes without bridge being open. I deleted all Photoshop off the computer and re-started it. I reloaded CS6 and the same results appear, “Scanning for Plugins”.

35. david morin says:

Jeff,
    When working in Adobe Bridge, it periodically crashes when trying to open a file. When it crashes I get the following message:
    “Adobe has found a solution or work around for the recent crash in Adobe Bridge CS6. Please click here for further details”

When I click “click here” nothing happens.

Please help
    ___
    Process: Adobe Bridge CS6 [2932]
    Path: /Applications/Adobe Bridge CS6/Adobe Bridge CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Bridge CS6
    Identifier: com.adobe.bridge5
    Version: 5.0.2.4 (5.0.2.4)
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [260]
    Responsible: Adobe Bridge CS6 [2932]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2014-08-15 09:13:04.494 -0400
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)
    Report Version: 11
    Anonymous UUID: 6AD80088-F412-83A1-1E87-76E4B049FACD

Sleep/Wake UUID: 46EAB716-E63E-4D17-8787-DD47FE1B6FF4

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:
    –>
    __TEXT 0000000100000000-0000000100fed000 [ 15.9M] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Adobe Bridge CS6/Adobe Bridge CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Bridge CS6

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0 ??? 000000000000000000 0 + 0
    1 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001004ebe24 ThumbMetaLib::MediaCoreInitialize() + 340
    2 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001002d93f8 start + 2974792
    3 com.adobe.bridge5 0x0000000100021284 start + 123604
    4 com.adobe.bridge5 0x000000010001f383 start + 115667
    5 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001003f4230 start + 4133504
    6 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001003f48cf start + 4135199
    7 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001003f776e start + 4147134
    8 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001003f7882 start + 4147410
    9 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001003f89ec start + 4151868
    10 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff94ec5d67 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 23
    11 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff94ec5cd7 __CFRunLoopDoObservers + 391
    12 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff94eb7493 __CFRunLoopRun + 995
    13 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff94eb6e75 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 309
    14 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff8d144a0d RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 226
    15 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff8d1447b7 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 479
    16 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff8d1445bc _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 65
    17 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8be0b24e _DPSNextEvent + 1434
    18 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8be0a89b -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 122
    19 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8bdfe99c -[NSApplication run] + 553
    20 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001003f5d16 start + 4140390
    21 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001003ef309 start + 4113241
    22 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001003ef16f start + 4112831
    23 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001004c54b3 start + 4990211
    24 com.adobe.bridge5 0x00000001004c51d8 start + 4989480
    25 com.adobe.bridge5 0x0000000100002fe4 start + 52

36. Paul Carter says:

Hi,

This is my second attempt to get some support. I purchased Adobe 12, and have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled it on my computer numerous times trying to get it to not crash on open. I finally was able to edit a few pictures, but PSE is again crashing and submitting a report that is generic. and not telling me what the issue is. I have received no updates, and now my Adobe PSE will load, then crash, sometimes with a picture in process.
    I truly need some help here. I love my Adobe PSE. No one I have talked to knows how to proceed other then to say my issue appears to be a common problem that no one wishes to address…

• Pete Green says:

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the crashes. Have you updated to 12.1 yet? Choose Help > Updates from the Editor or the Organizer and install the 12.1 update.

Are you on Mac or Windows?
      Is it the Editor that’s crashing? or the Organizer?

Try the troubleshooting steps in this Photoshop Article, 12.1 updates, permissions and updating drivers would be a good place to start: blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2012/07/photoshop-basic-troubleshooting-steps-to-fix-most-issues.html

If more troubleshooting is required here, it would be best for you to post here for further assistance: feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

37. christine says:

My photoshop keeps crashing when i want to print and then I loose what I was just working on. !. how do i prevent this from happening again and 2. is there anyway to get my file back? thank you.

• Hi Christine,

Sounds like you have a bad printer/driver. Easiest way to fix it is remove the printer, install the latest drivers, and re-add the printer. Also, make sure Photoshop and your OS are up to date.

38. Laura Roberts says:

My computer hard drive crashed unexpectantly (as they usually do). There is no way I can uninstall Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 5, that was on it, so that I can reinstall on new computer when it arrives. I have the disks and the serial numbers. I was in the process of taking an online CS6 class and that teaching assistant told me Adobe had a way to take them off from their end, so the license/s would still be available to me.

My Lightroom 5 was an upgrade to Lightroom 4, so need info on whether or not the Lightroom 4 needs to be installed first and then the disk that came with the upgrade, just like I did before.

I cannot tell you the stress that this has caused, so hope that someone can give me advice about how to go about getting them removed from the dead computer.

39. Karl Wimer says:

I have been using PS CC for the past 6 months with Windows 7. It now crashes every time I open it after my computer has rebooted. Usually 2 or 3 times before it starts working normally. Almost always when opening a file from a folder. After extended use, it will sometimes slow down then crash. I’ve reinstalled it to no avail, and although Crash Reporter is enabled, I never get the popup to allow me to send a Crash Report. Frustrating and time consuming. Please help!
    Thanks, Karl

• Hi Karl, Photoshop uses Windows native crash reporting system. What do the crash reports say the faulting module is? Try these steps to fix most issues: http://bit.ly/Troubleshoot_PS I suspect it may be video card driver related.

• Karl says:

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the response. I updated my video card (which was in need of an update), but I am still getting the crash. I captured the data from this one. Please let me know if this helps or next steps:
        Problem signature:
        Locale ID: 1033
        Additional Information 1: 0a9e
        Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
        Additional Information 3: 0a9e
        Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

40. adj says:

PS: As it was possible to send a report to Apple with the description of the problem, i did it and here is a copy of it:

Process: Adobe Photoshop CC [2442]
    Path: /Volumes/VOLUME/_CCC Archives/*/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CC
    Identifier: com.adobe.Photoshop
    Version: ???
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [207]
    Responsible: Adobe Photoshop CC [2442]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2014-04-09 15:06:11.386 +0300
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
    Report Version: 11
    Anonymous UUID: 244BEAA6-2EE0-18ED-2EA6-84762543602E

Sleep/Wake UUID: 531F19D8-BDB7-45EC-B263-79A43CAFE289

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
    dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/libtbb.dylib
    Referenced from: /Volumes/VOLUME/_CCC Archives/*/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CC
    Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
    0x7fff6398c000 – 0x7fff639bf817 dyld (239.4) /usr/lib/dyld

Model: iMac8,1, BootROM IM81.00C1.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 6 GB, SMC 1.30f1
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS, PCIe, 512 MB
    Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 2 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 800 MHz, 0xAD00000000000000, 0x48594D503132355336344352382D53362020
    Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM1, 4 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 800 MHz, 0x2C00000000000000, 0x31364854463531323634485A2D3830304331
    AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.16)
    Bluetooth: Version 4.2.3f10 13477, 3 services, 15 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
    Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
    Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HDS721010KLA330, 1 TB
    Parallel ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-875
    USB Device: Keyboard Hub
    USB Device: ET-0405A-UV2.0-3
    USB Device: Apple Keyboard
    USB Device: Built-in iSight
    USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub
    USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
    USB Device: IR Receiver
    FireWire Device: My Book, WD, Up to 800 Mb/sec
    Thunderbolt Bus:

41. Photoshop is unable to load a required library. My guess is an uninstall and reinstall would fix it. How to uninstall: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2013/06/updatingupgrading-to-photoshop-cc-faq.html#how_uninstall