Help with Downloading, Installing & Activating

I’ve tried to create a roadmap to finding help with purchases/orders, downloading, installing and activating your product.

Table of Contents:

Create an Adobe ID and Register Photoshop
Access Adobe Store Orders
Download, Install & Setup
Product Activation

Create an Adobe ID and Register Photoshop

First off, it’s extremely important to have an Adobe ID and register your copy of Photoshop. Benefits of registering your product:

If you need help creating or accessing your Adobe ID account, please consult the following documents for assistance:

Access Adobe Store Orders

If you purchased a product from Adobe and need help with your order, try the following links:

Don’t see the answer to your question? Contact support: choose “Photoshop” as your product, Choose “Orders, Refunds, and Exchanges” as the topic you need help with, then click the button [I still need help…] to be given options for chat and phone support if the self-help solutions provided don’t solve your issue. Chat support for order issues is available 24/7. I personally prefer the chat option over phone.

Download, Install & Setup

Bar none, this is the best place to find answers, ask questions and get help for download and install problems is in the specialized community where help is available 24/7:

Frequently Asked Questions:

If your question isn’t answered or you can’t find the the answer you need, please contact support: Choose “Photoshop” as your product, Choose “Downloading, installing and setting up” as the topic you need help with, then click the button [I still need help…] to be given options for chat and phone support if the self-help solutions provided don’t solve your issue. I personally prefer the chat option over phone. Chat & phone support for download and install issues is available Monday-Friday, 5am-7pm PST.

Product Activation

During the installation of Photoshop CS6, you will be asked to be online and use your Adobe ID to activate your software. You will only be asked to do this once, when you install your product. If you’re not online at the time of install, you will have 7 days to go online and complete this process. If your product is a subscription or Creative Cloud membership, activation will take place once every 30 days for a subscription license check. (This happens in the background) If you are not online for 30 days, your software will remind you to connect to the Internet.

Activation FAQs:

If none of the self-help solutions work for you, contact support: choose “Photoshop” as your product, Choose “Activating my product, or serial number issues” as the topic you need help with, then click the button [I still need help…] to be given options for chat and phone support if the self-help solutions provided don’t solve your issue. Chat support for activation is available 24/7. I personally prefer the chat option over phone.

90 Responses to Help with Downloading, Installing & Activating

1. Ken Gordon says:

Hi,
    I loaded the photoshop software on my PC but after I shut down and restarted my system would not restart until I went through the restore backup procedure which removed photoshop. The photoshop files seem to be still on my pc but I can’t seem to see a startup file to get me going again.
    Can you help me to get the show back on the road again?
    Best regards,
    Ken

2. I downloaded a trial copy of CS6 then purchased the program. When I installed the serial number I didn’t have an internet connection. After 30 days a window popped up stating that the trial had expired. I uninstalled the trial copy and installed a fresh copy. When I try to enter my serial number it says: This license has expired.

3. Hey there Rodger, you shouldn’t have needed to uninstall the trial and reinstall the software – in theory you should just be able to activate the trial permanently by entering the key you bought. Nevertheless, there should be no harm in doing that either.

If there’s no way you can get the software to accept your SN with Internet access on, then try contacting Adobe support via one of the options mentioned in “Product Activation” above.

There are also other ways to activate the software… See this FAQ for more details:

Adobe Software Installation and Activation FAQ

4. Al McKenzie says:

Yesterday I successfully installed Photoshop Elements 11. Seemed to work fine as I played around with it. Today I was asked to open Adobe Applications Manager to update Photoshop Elements. Everything went fine until I received instructions that I was to close ElementsAutoAnalyzer.exe. I can’t find that toclose. The Update stopped on Photoshop Camera Raw 7.3.
    Can you suggest what to do?

5. Al McKenzie says:

Thanks! I will give that a try!

6. Al McKenzie says:

Okay, tried your suggestion, but the results are the same. About 9% into the update, I receive instructions to close ElementsAutoAnalyzer.exe. I cannot find this.

I closed everything, including the Editor, but the update still stalls.

Any other suggestions?

7. Trudey Peterson says:

I have an old version of Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1 and it is locking up. Currently I have Windows Vista…..were can I down load updates or fixes from?

8. Steve says:

I have purchesed the upgrade to lightroom 5 and now I am having trouble importing my catalog from 4. When I click on “File” there is an upgrade to Elements catalog but not Lightroom catalog. How am I to import my lightroom 4 into lightroom 5? I exported my catalog but it only seemed to capture 30% and those images I will need to relocate to use. Am I missing something very simple?
    Thanks
    Steve

• Choose File>Open Catalog and navigate to your Lightroom 4 catalog. Opening it up will give you options to upgrade it. On Mac it is located here:

/Users//Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat

9. Nicki says:

I currently have Photoshop Elements 9 installed. I can never view all my toolbar menus unless I reduce the icon size for my enire PC to small…which is almost too small to even read. I’ve purchased Elements 11 in hopes that this glitch has been remedeed but still wonder 3 things.

Does someone know if infact that problem has been fixed in “11”?
    Will I have the option to transfer my photos from “9” somehow?
    Must I uninstall “9” before I install “11”?

10. Richard says:

I have a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8 and when I try to install Lightroom 5 from CC it gets to 84% installed and quits. Any one know the reason why? it gives me these error codes:

Exit Code: 7
    – 0 fatal error(s), 2 error(s)

———– Payload: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 5.3.0.0 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.pkg_5.3 ———–
    ERROR: DW006: Apple Package failed to install successfully.
    ERROR: Third party payload installer Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.pkg failed with exit code: 1

11. Roger Bishop says:

I recently had to replace my trusty desktop which had Photoshop 7 and it worked fine.

I tried loading the program on the new computer with Windows 7.

I enter the product code for the upgrade of Photoshop 7 and it asks for an earlier version so I enter the info for upgrade 5 and I get an error message to contact you.

So what now?

12. Hi:

My Photoshop Elements 10 was working fine. However recently when starting up it doesn”t let me in. I get the message error 6. The Photoshop program was on my computer when I bought it.

Sandra

13. Terri Chandler says:

I am currently running Adobe Photoshop Elements Version 7.0 for Windows and for some time now I have not been able to “Sign In” from inside the software to my Photoshop.com account. Instead I attempt to log in and receive an error message that reads as follows: “Photoshop.com services are currently unavailable. Please try again later or check your network connections. Error 400″ I am not on a “network” and am not having any trouble with my internet connection. I came to the website, Photoshop.com and was able to log in and was recognized without any problem. When I click on the “Update Photoshop” option from inside the software it acts as if it is contacting “someone” and then says there are currently no updates available. Has Adobe stopped supporting Photoshop 7.0 and could this be causing my problems? I considered upgrading but would like to know why I can’t log into my account from 7.0 first. I have no other problem using the software at all, just can’t log in without receiving that error message. Thank you!

• Terri Chandler says:

Thank you for that information, which I promise I had called myself looking for and never found. I am relieved to know that I do not have to log in for updates, but what this link didn’t seem to address is that logging in is the only way we can use the scrapbooking artwork provided with and at one time downloadable, under the “Create” tab in Editor. I don’t do as much scrapbooking as I used to, but one does have to “log in” in order to use that feature before it will allow you to download any background artwork and since I can’t log in any more, that option seems to have become obsolete as well. Thank you and the fact of the matter is that I just need/want to update my Photoshop software and hope to do so more sooner than later. Thank you VERY much for all your help and support!

14. Jessica Grinaker says:

Hi. I am wondering if anyone can help me. I recently bought a new computer and i would like to install my photoshop design suite onto it, however the box was accidentally thrown away with the serial codes. Is there any way for me to get my serial keys back? And for me to install these programs? I bought them very recently and as it was quite expensive I am very hesitant to buy the box again. I require these programs as soon as possible for my studies, please if anyone can email me a solution or put me in contact with someone who can help me I would really appreciate it.

15. Ann Marano says:

Hi, In 12/13 I purchased photoshop elements 12 online version. could not download it. I had an adobe support advisor try unsuccessfully to help me. five different times. I got a refund. I tell you this because a week ago I purchased 12 again, this time a disc . Can’t install it. Keep getting error message 2343. Also a message saying remove 12.. .This is what I think..When trying to download the online version in 12/13, there is some part of it still on my computer. I found a file but it is empty. I have elements 8 which crashed just before I tried installing 12. I uninstalled 8.
    Hope you can help me..thanking you in advance.. ann

16. joshua wright says:

i recently bought photoshop cc but when i try to download it i get a message sayin “You are running an operating system that Photoshop no longer supports. Refer to the system requirements below for a full list of supported platform ” please help!!!!

17. Brie says:

Hello. Everytime I try to set up the adobe id/account it just loads forever. Nothing happens. It’s stuck doing it again right now. why does it do this? All I am doing is putting the correct info and “creating account”…

18. Shawn says:

I did a fresh install of photoshop cs6 on my win8 laptop and it gave this error message.

Some of the product(s ) could not be installed successfully. Shows the 2 of the PS Icons
    This was in the message code for the error
    Exit Code: 6
    Please see specific errors below for troubleshooting. For example, ERROR:

————————————– Summary ————————————–

– 0 fatal error(s), 4 error(s)

———– Payload: Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86 1.0.0.0 {92D58719-BBC1-4CC3-A08B-56C9E884CC2C} ———–

ERROR: Install MSI payload failed with error: 1618 – Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install.
    MSI Error message:

ERROR: Third party payload installer Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86.msi failed with exit code: 1618

———– Payload: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) 9.0.30729.4148 {9C4AA28F-AC6B-11E0-8997-00215AEA26C9} ———–

ERROR: Third party payload installer vcredist_x86.exe failed with exit code: 1618

ERROR: Failed to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86). Please try installing it by double clicking on the executable at “C:\Users\Shawn\Desktop\Adobe CS6\Photoshop\Adobe CS6\payloads\Microsoft VC 2008 Redist (x86)\vcredist_x86.exe”, or download and install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) from Microsoft website – http://www.microsoft.com

19. Ashutosh Nigam says:

Please restart your system and download the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019667

Let me know in case of any issues.

Regards,
    Ashutosh

20. Helena Schulin says:

Hi!
    I can’t believe I can’t find any e-mail for Adobe Support!
    I really need to get my photoshop up and running after having to buy a new computer. I can’t use my license anymore. When I type it in it says that my license is invalid! I was told that I should “deactivate” my license to use it again, but I have no idea how and where to do that. Please help me.

Regards Helena Schulin

21. Jimmy Nicholson says:

I have Design Premium Suite CS4 (student version) installed on a 7 year old laptop that does not work. How do I remove the Adobe software to another usable computer? Although I have the Product Code # and Serial #, I have lost the discs.

22. Carol Riznikove says:

I have been trying for 4 days to find out if Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2 will run on Windows 7 64 bit. When I asked the first time on June 14 I didn’t know it was 64 bit. I also have a disc for Elements 7 if that will work. I have serial numbers from the programs and want to put them on Windows 7 64bit machine.

• Pete Green says:

I think the best way to test this would be to try installing it. Both CS3 and LR2 were created prior to Windows 7. It could/should work, but not exactly a supported configuration. We have newer version of both Photoshop and Lightroom that have included newer OS support.

• Carol Riznikove says:

Thank you for your response.
        Not being very computer savvy, I am concerned about causing problems if I install. What is the worst that can happen?
        I would have to put serious thought into purchasing new programs. I am retired, but I like to work on personal projects. I am concerned about the longevity of the Windows XP computers that I use now and was hoping this could work.

23. Jake morris says:

hello,
    I just downloaded and installed Adobe Photoshop CC 2014. However, whenever I open Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 it shows the splash screen then an error message immediately pops up that says “Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 has stopped working”, “A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.” I read about similar things happening to users with an out of date driver but I have a Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 and it says its up to date. Any info on how I can fix this quickly would be very much appreciated

24. Ann says:

I have an old version Photoshop 7, it uploaded to my new computer running Windows 7. I used the Adobe Image Ready and after closing it the program stopped working. Restarting my computer didn’t work, re-installing didn’t work so I uninstalled Photoshop. Then I tried to install Photoshop again and receive the following message;

Component Move Data had the following error:
    Media Name: Data
    Component required
    File Group: Required- shared
    File:C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Required\ADMU13.fon
    Error Number: -115 (refer to online help)

Please help now I don’t have either Photoshop or Image Ready and I need both.

25. Carole DiGangi says:

My downloaded version of photoshop opens frozen. Rebooting the computer does nothing for the problem. Help. Carole

26. CINDY D says:

I HAVE A VERSION OF PS4 AND JUST BOUGHT A NEW COMPUTER. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE SERIAL NUMBER IS TO REINSTALL IT. IS THERE A NUMBER I CAN CALL TO PHOTOSHOP THAT MIGHT HAVE A RECORD OF IT? THANKS.

• You can log into your Adobe account using your Adobe ID – your email address – to retrieve your serial #. I see it registered in our system under your account. I’ve sent you an email with the info.

27. Please help I need to uninstall CS6 but uninstaller is now gone.
    I installed Photoshop 2014 because I was having problems with Phoshop opening up on my backup drive when I opened images from light room and often it would open the two Lightrooms.

I installed 2014 and uninstalled CS6 Photoshop but it did not remove the program how ever it did remove the uninstaller for CS6. Now I can’t uninstall and need to get rid of CS6 because Lightroom is still opening two photoshops often. Sigh…..

28. Gabby Weil says:

My fiancé has photoshop elements 12 installed. He bought it on line and it has been working fine until it has suddenly reverted back to a trial version even though it is not. He cannot get any joy from Adobe as to how he can remedy this – do you have any ideas please?

• Brett N says:

This behavior can occur when the serial number which is stored on the computer is removed (generally by something like a registry cleaner or similar application). When you launch and see the Trail screen, you should have a button that allows you to license this software. When you click that, you’ll be able to re-enter the serial number and make the product fully licensed again.

29. Nat Abrahms says:

Where is the ID NO. located on the Photoshop Elements 12 Installation package?

30. Kurt Navratil says:

I have LR5 CC version. It has been working fine up till a few days ago. Now it will not import any files. I have version 5.5 . After I insert the card reader, the pictures come up on LR but when I hit import, I get this message.
    “The following files were no imported because they could be read.”

I also have Photoshop CC and LR4 both will import no problem.
    Any ideas?
    Kurt

31. Al Buescher says:

Running Windows 7 and have tried all suggestions to get past error message of “error during installation of shared technologies software”, which then uninstalls my newly purchased Photoshop Elements 12 software. Hoping you can advise?. Thanks

32. Natalie says:

Hello! I Purchased a student design program package in May of 2011. I am finally getting a new computer, but I can’t seem to access my serial number. I log in to my adobe account and it says I have no products listed. The confirmation email was sent to a work email address at an office where I no longer have employment (therefore no longer have access to those emails). Help?

33. Leona says:

I have Photoshop Elements 9 that I purchased a few years ago. I established an account, but never really used it. I want to be able to edit photos and them share them, but I am unable sign on to my account. I get an error message saying Photoshop.com services are unavailable please try later with an error code of 400. I changed my password earlier today through the Photoshop website, but this did not help me access my account from within Elements 9. I received the same error code. Please help. Thanks.

34. Tami says:

Help! My light room shortcut disappeared from my desktop, so I went to creative cloud and re installed LR 5.6. Now when I open light room, the splash page opens and locks up, when I click on anything it says LR is not responding and I have to close down. Now my LR is totally useless, can anyone please help!!!. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, still the same problem.

35. Harry Layne says:

I was running LR 4.4 while the computer was unattended and not plugged in and it ran out of power and quit. When I re-started the computer, LR will not start after several attempts. It says “Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and need to quit.” numerous re-launches of the program failed to be effective. Thanks

36. Susan Fry says:

I just upgraded to LR5 on a new computer. When I import photos from a card the thumbnails are blank and gray. There are 3 dots on the upper right hand corner which state “loading”. I tried restarting. No change. The photos that where in there are showing up no problem. This only happens with the new 1st import.
    I have many problems besides this one but I would at least be able to work on my current photos.
    Please help.
    Susan :)

37. viola upchurch says:

My sister is slightly challenged and found Adobe Photoshop 4.0 (from years ago) easy to use. She has tried PS 6.0 and Elements 12. and hates them. She runs Windows 8.1 and can not install her old 4.0, as it states there is not enough memory? Is there ANY way for her to get it to install? If not, which of the many ‘Photoshop’ programs available, would most closely resemble the Adobe Photoshop 4.0?

38. Lawrence says:

“Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 has stopped working” pops up whenever I try to open the app. It then immediately exits out. Please help

39. Larry Taggesell says:

My computer hard drive crashed. I had downloaded Adobe Elements 12 and Adobe Premiere 12. Both are lost. How can I get them back? I am a PC user with windows 7.

40. Jan Hill says:

I have just bought a new Mac Book Pro and on using LR tried to ‘Edit in CS6″ but Error 1 came up. Can you help please?

41. Dick says:

I experienced a hard disc crash and need to download Elements 12 for reinstall. I have my serial numbers from the original purchase, but I can’t find a link to download the software. Most Adobe related to Elements 12 links divert me to Elements 13. How do I find a download for Elements 12??

42. Anneke says:

I have downloaded the Extra Downloadable 3D content for Photoshop CC2014 but the Materials.zxp uses Photoshop CS6’s Adobe Extension Manager CS6. How do i install it on CC2014.

43. Donna says:

I recently bought a new computer and want to install Photoshop 4, which I’ve been using on my older computer, on the new one. I deactivated the version on my old computer and downloaded PS4 on my new computer but when I started the installer, it accepts the serial number from the version that was on my old computer but then asks for a serial number from an earlier version of PS, which I don’t have. How can I install and continue using PS4 on my new computer?

44. Donna says:

Hi Jeffrey – it’s Windows 8.1. I just installed PS2, which is now available as a free download on the Adobe site, and that works fine, but I’m still unable to upgrade to PS4, which is the version that I had a licensed copy of on my old laptop.

45. jayvee says:

I have my Adobe photoshop cs6 in my program files but the .EXE file can’t be opened..i’m a windows 7 user.. please help..

46. John says:

Had to reload my PE 10. Now it won’t let me sign in to my Photoshop.com account. I have sign into it by logging in through my web browser but not through Photoshop Elements. Got any ideas how I can get this fixed?

47. Jerry Meyer says:

I am running Win 7 and trying to update LR 5.3 to 5.6. No problem downloading the installation package, but when I run the installer, it can’t find the Adobe_Lightroom_x64.msi file. The temp folder that should contain this file has not been created. Moreover, I get the additional error message “Error 1714. The older version of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 64-bit cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. System Error 1612.” Thanks in advance for your help.

48. HELP! I can’t get started with Lightroom. Installed trial version, then purchased CD. Upgraded to 5.7. Never used it and now when I hit the “Import” button I get this message:
    Could not find namespace: AgCreativeCloudUtils