Heads Up: Photoshop System Requirement Changes

Back in September, the Photoshop team provided advanced notice that Photoshop CS6 (13.0) will be the last major version of Photoshop to support Windows XP.

In addition, all subsequent Photoshop feature updates specifically for Creative Cloud members will also require 512 MB of vRAM in order to use the 3D features found in Photoshop CS6 Extended.

Please note: The system requirements for Photoshop CS6 Extended have always indicated that you need 512 MB of vRAM, but this wasn’t a hard enforcement.

Users who do not have 512 MB of vRAM will see the following dialog if they try to access a 3D feature in future Photoshop updates for Creative Cloud:

We hope that by providing this information early it will help you understand our current decisions around operating system support and where we we’re headed with future releases of Photoshop. We encourage all customers who are currently using the 3D features in Photoshop CS6 Extended to begin upgrading their video card/hardware now so they can fully take advantage of future Photoshop innovations as soon as they are available.

Additional Information

56 Responses to Heads Up: Photoshop System Requirement Changes

1. Hugh Roper says:

I’m respectfully disappointed. This leaves out the computer I use at work (8 core, 16GB ram Mac Pro) and our home computer (6 month old mac).

2. Hi Jeffrey,

Does the Intel HD 4000 with its 512MB of shared memory on the 8GB configuration qualify?

Thanks

• I’d have to double-check with the 3D engineers, but I think it requires dedicated vRAM.

• David Burren says:

Especially as the HD4000 is used on the new Mac Mini, which with 16 GB RAM would have 512 MB for graphics and otherwise is a decent workhorse.
      In fact the HD3000 used in the previous rev of the Mac Mini should have 512 MB when the system ram is 8 or 16 GB.
      Looking forward to clarification Jeffrey, thanks!

• Hi Pedro,

That card should work with shared memory, but we don’t have an exact system with the same card, yet. We’ll be getting one soon for further testing.

3. Justin Katz says:

this really is going to be a blow to a lot of 3d rendering and digital video companies who have windows based systems. very disappointed.

4. Ilie says:

Iam dissapointed too, that means that my 2011 macbook pro won’t make it happen? I have a Radeon HD 6490M

• How much VRAM does the 6490M have? Looking on the AMD site, it looks like it has 1GB.

• Andy says:

Yeah, have a late 2011 MBP with the premium, extra video card with 256MB VRAM, and it works very competently with 3d processing in CS6.

This is a perfect example of software manufacturers developing their software in a bubble of screaming fast test machines with bleeding edge hardware, completely ignoring the fact that they have real users in the real world with real hardware… especially for mac users, where updating means investing a couple thousand dollars.

Supremely lame.

gMux Version: 1.9.23
          EFI Driver Version: 01.00.521
          Displays:
          Color LCD:
          Display Type: LCD
          Resolution: 1440 x 900
          Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
          Main Display: Yes
          Mirror: Off
          Online: Yes
          Built-In: Yes

5. LauraKay Bunnett says:

Both my macbook pro, and mac mini have only 256mb vram NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. I’ve had no trouble working with the 3d element of photoshop. Now I’ll be made to weigh up what else is in any future updates, with keeping using the 3d part. I find this a hard blow to the mac users who don’t have an option to just upgrade the graphics card but would have to buy a whole new computer. Is there no way the mac version can keep 256mb as it’s minimum?

6. Is there a check tool to test if a machine is compliant?

• You can choose, Help>System Info…

You will see video card memory listed in the information in the dialog (this is on my Macbook Air):

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0.1 (13.0.1 20120808.r.519 2012/08/08:21:00:00) x64
      Operating System: Mac OS 10.7.5
      System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:42, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading
      Physical processor count: 2
      Logical processor count: 4
      Processor speed: 1800 MHz
      Built-in memory: 4096 MB
      Free memory: 1749 MB
      Memory available to Photoshop: 3184 MB
      Memory used by Photoshop: 68 %
      Image tile size: 128K
      Image cache levels: 4
      OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.
      OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced
      OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.
      OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.
      OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.
      OpenGL Version: 2.1 APPLE-7.32.12
      OpenCL Unavailable
      Video Card Vendor: Intel Inc.
      Video Card Renderer: Intel HD Graphics 3000 OpenGL Engine
      Display: 1
      Main Display
      Display Depth:= 32
      Display Bounds:= top: 0, left: 0, bottom: 900, right: 1440
      Video Renderer ID: 16925441
      Video Card Memory: 384 MB

7. Dori says:

HD 4000 should max out in 1720 mb shared memory which should be sufficient for the 512 mb memory limit

8. Hey Jeff!
    Question for you, I’m looking at the new iMac… they will come with 1GB vRAM… obviously for future proofing it’s best to get more vRAM but for a non-3D user, is there any benefit to going with additional vRAM beyond the stock 1GB or should I go for 2GB (or more if available)? Are there non 3D things where I’ll benefit from the additional now?

Thanks!
    Jeff

9. J. Banfield says:

I am using a 2011 MacBook Air with 384 MB of VRAM, Intel HD 3000 chip. I am not a Creative Cloud user, I purchased the Production Premium bundle. Is this change going to affect my 3D capabilities? This is a brand new rig I put together for portable 3D and video work. I am concerned this is going to break my workflow…

10. Nader says:

The new maxed out Mac Mini 2012 @2.6Ghz quad core has HD4000 with 768mb vRam Versus 512mb @2.3 GHz Mac Mini.

11. Sue says:

I have a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz, Dual-Core Intel Xeon with only 256 VRAM. Are these older computers upgradeable?

12. Dan Rodney says:

When an update like this takes away features that used to work on that user’s machine, I think the updater should warn them in advance. That way they could choose whether they want to install it or not. As it is now, after upgrading users get a “surprise” they did not expect.

After applying the update I never saw the warning dialog you show above, it just seemed like Photoshop’s 3D features were broken. It was only after I trashed my prefs that this dialog appeared. And still the 3D features are there, just not working. I choose Type > Extrude to 3D (which used to work on my machine) and now nothing happens. No warning dialog, just nothing. That sure seems like a bug to me.

If you’re going to disable a feature via a simple software update (especially a feature that I’ve used on this machine in the past), at least remove that feature visually, or visually disable it so I can be sure that what I do see should work. If I see that menu item and can choose it, it should work. As it stands right now, it just seems like a buggy app. I’ve never used an Adobe product before that lets me choose a menu item that doesn’t work… where choosing it results in nothing happening. I should at least getting some error or feedback of some sort after choosing it. I hope you learn from this and can better handle these types of updates in the future.

13. Trilo Byte says:

This really stinks! My girlfriend and I have been using Creative Cloud since launch with no problems, and now after updating her 2011 MacBook Air (Intel HD3000/384MB shared VRAM) is unable to load files THAT SHE CREATED IN THE APP ON THE SAME MACHINE LAST WEEK!

We’re kind of in a difficult spot here, in order to upgrade the machine we’d need to not only buy a new machine, but step up from the MacBook Air to the much bigger (and more costly) MacBook Pro. All to do work that she has had no trouble doing with Photoshop CS6 Extended via Creative Cloud for the last several months.

Is there a way for Creative Cloud users to downgrade their Photoshop installation to a version that works for her?

14. Joe Hawkins says:

I was using the 3d functions just fine on my Mac Book Pro until I did the updates yesterday and now I am left with a half finished project due to the “strengthened” requirements. This is a massive let down and a huge black mark on the creative cloud…The only warning I got was “New Features”…and I fail to see how posting a note in “Jeff Tranberry’s Digital Imaging Crawlspace” is fair warning. I only found this thread trying to solve my problem because the above message did almost nothing to help after the damage was done. I don’t have time to get a new MBPro to finish this project…is there any workaround or way I can roll back the upgrades?

15. This error started showing up for me a few weeks ago and I have a MacBook Pro with 1 GB of VRAM. Need to google a solution, I should be supported. I bought extra VRAM just for the 3D features of Photoshop.

16. Gary Lopez says:

For those with less than 512mb vRAM that lost 3D capabilities. Easy work around for PHOTOSHOP CS6 3D for required 512mb vRAM. Uninstall Photoshop and re-install and don’t update. I am a creative cloud user and i updated photoshop and i lost all my 3D capabilities, since i only have a a macbook pro with 384mb vRAM. Now all my 3D is working good!

17. Gary Lopez says:

was able to download 13.0 again

18. Cary C. says:

I also had 3d and now do not. My system info says:
    Dedicated video memory 1024MB
    System video memory of 0MB
    Are either of those my vRAM?
    If so, any ideas why it would work before and not now.
    I have windows 7 and an nvidia card listed as compatible(geo 220?)
    When I update the drivers for my card to the latest I have system crash with blue screen.
    When I leave my old drivers in things work fine, but now with no 3D.
    Thanks for any help.

19. Kay Rice says:

I have mac pro i7. Will the ATI Radeon HD 5770 or 5780 graphics card work with Photoshop CS6?

Thanks

20. Dan Kuzmanovitch says:

I have an iMac (2007), with 3Gb ram, and 128mb of VRAM (OS: Mountain Lion). I signed up for the Creative cloud explicitly for Photoshop’s 3D features, which by the way worked fine until the last CC update.

Adobe recommends upgrading the computer’s graphics card, something not possible on a lot of Macs (including mine). So here I am paying for something I’m no longer getting, and customer service refuses to cancel my subscription of even downgrade it to Photoshop C6 alone.

Thank-you Adobe, I think that move alienated a lot of Mac users, which I’m sure constitutes a good portion of your customer base. Congratulations for behaving like a monopoly and not listening to customers (remember what happened to AT&T??). Will i renew my subscription? Probably not. Will i recommend it to anyone? Definitely not!

A disgruntled customer…

Dan

21. David Webster says:

I meet the minimum requirements for 3D and then some (e.g. 2048 mbtyes vram, 6 gbytes ram, Windows 7 Ps 6), but 3D photoshop still seems flaky. I When I am using 3D, Photoshop frequently crashes. Also, the contents of 3D layers will just disappear. Perhaps the problem is with the 3D software. Has Adobe checked this?

David Webster

22. Lucas R says:

Are there Any Plans that Users with less than 512MB can reactive 3D features?
    I use Maya an rendering 3D Models and this works fine … so why 3D not for those configuration?

Hope there will be an Solution!!!

23. adam says:

I would of liked it adobe would have been conscious of the fact that designers do use macbook pros and the Vram can’t be upgraded and this move was inconsiderate to the small design agencies as well as adobe CC overall, meaning that the grand i spent on a laptop not too long ago now can’t handle this feature and im limited to the software updates even though I’m paying for them just like now my software that I might not wanted to update yearly meaning I could of spent just 600 pounds over 2 years im now going to pay roughly 900 pounds for access to this software for 2 years which if i miss a payment can be taken away from me at any time.

I think small businesses and freelancers could possibly fail because of these changes you have made and it’s a shame you have a monopoly over the industry, If a competitor does come along and treat it’s customers better, i’ll be jumping ship and recommend everyone follow.

24. Sam says:

Guess I’m late to the party but wow, this sucks. Upgraded to CC and now my 2011 MacBook Air can no longer use 3D features.

It would’ve been nice if you guys let us use the old 3D features… I needed basic 3D features today at work for a project but looks like I can no longer do that.

25. Sky says:

I was just looking for a solution and found this blog. Seriously, why place restrictions that require us to uninstall photoshop? I’m on a MacBook Pro and I was able to do 3D until I upgraded to the cloud. I just installed a new Solid State Drive and 8 Gigs of ram. Along with many other people using Photoshop at work, I’m more then frustrated about this…. Please fix this!

26. giigle says:

Hi, i have :

Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.0 (14.0 20130423.r.221 2013/04/23:23:00:00) x32
    Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit
    Version: 6.2
    System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:10, Stepping:9 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading
    Physical processor count: 4
    Logical processor count: 8
    Processor speed: 2395 MHz
    Built-in memory: 8077 MB
    Free memory: 5663 MB
    Memory available to Photoshop: 3255 MB
    Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %
    Image tile size: 128K
    Image cache levels: 4
    OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.
    OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced
    OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.
    OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.
    OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.
    OpenCL Unavailable
    OpenGL Version: 3.0
    Video Rect Texture Size: 16384
    OpenGL Memory: 2048 MB
    Video Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Video Card Renderer: GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2
    Display: 1
    Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1080, right=1920
    Video Card Number: 2
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    Driver Version: 9.18.13.697
    Driver Date: 20121002000000.000000-000
    Video Card Driver: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Video Mode:
    Video Card Caption: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    Video Card Memory: 2048 MB
    Video Card Number: 1
    Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    Driver Version: 9.17.10.2875
    Driver Date: 20121017000000.000000-000
    Video Card Driver: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32
    Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors
    Video Card Caption: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    Video Card Memory: 2112 MB

But 3D option still greyed-out

27. I bought a new MacBook Air w/ Intel HD Graphics 5000. The 3D option is no available but my System Info shows 1024 MB Video Card Memory. Why I don’t see it?

28. Arno says:

Just bought the CC Photoshop today , and I am very disappointed: it does not run on my MacBook Pro.
    I get the Meassage “at least 512 MB vRAM needed”
    Must i update my hardware?
    The Message also says I can look for a new driver. Where can I get it? I would prefer that!!!!
    I use Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5. , with GPU Intel HD Graphics 3000

THX!
    Regards from germany

29. robert says:

I am not sure, but I thought my computer had enough RAM but the 3D option is still greyed out.
    here is my system info, please advise…
    Toshiba
    Toshiba
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6200 @ 2.13GHz 2.13GHz
    Installed Memory: 4.0 GB (3.80 usable)
    64x bit operating system, x64 based processor

• What is your video card VRAM? If you’re using an integrated Intel card, you’re sharing RAM with the CPU – in which case 3D isn’t supported. You need at least 1 GB of dedicated VRAM on the video card.

30. Pavel Halla says: