In addition to the major features added to the 14.2 update, the update also contains a number of smaller enhancements to improve your workflow, compatibility updates to support new hardware, OS features, and notable bug fixes.

Table of Contents:

JDI Features/Enhancements

• Mercury Graphics Engine performance boost (Smart Sharpen on GPU – 5x – 20x faster when OCL is available)
  • Enhanced Scripted Patterns and Fills (Trees, previews, and other improvements)
  • Added a “do not show again” checkbox to the missing fonts dialog
  • Enabled Share on Behance for more languages
  • Improved history states for editing text, editing and applying Character and Paragraph styles
  • Generator can export padding in image assets by using layer masks
  • Layer names can now be up to 255 characters
  • Generator now properly rescales Illustrator Smart Objects when exported at 200%
  • New option for Narrow Options Bar, for small displays
  • On a background layer, one click on the lock icon unlocks the layer
  • Set custom background color in New Document dialog
  • Better negative number support in curves adjustments
  • See recent colors in the Swatches panel
  • Change “Clear” to “Clear All” for the Color Sampler tool
  • Increase number of color samplers from 4 to 10
  • Change all color samplers in Info palette at the same time
  • Improved font transformations
  • Improved selection of shapes with white arrow tool (clicking in the middle reveals white knots)

Documentation for new features: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Mac Pro Compatibility

The Photoshop CC 14.2 update provides GPU compatibility support for the new Apple Mac Pro. The 14.2 update will allow Photoshop to take full advantage of one of the two available GPUs at a time.

We expect to add support for both of the new Apple Mac Pro’s GPUs, and continue to optimize our customers experience by supporting additional GPU operations in a future release.

Each of the two GPUs in the base model of Mac Pro are faster than the GPUs available in any other Mac model, and provide plenty of speed and VRAM (memory on the GPU card) for most operations. If you spend a great deal of time editing very large images using one of the GPU-accelerated Photoshop features such as Blur Gallery, Liquify, or 3D, we expect this gain to be significant. (The 6GB VRAM in the highest end GPU option would only be needed for the largest 3D models).

For additional guidance on hardware, OS and Photoshop configuration see this document on Tuning Photoshop for Peak Performance.

Mac OS X 10.9.x AppNap Optimizations

AppNap is a new feature in OS X 10.9.x  that tries to save power used to run applications that are not the current application and are completely invisible to the user. As such, AppNap can reduce performance or delay automated processes running in Photoshop if it’s hidden or all its windows are covered by other applications. The Photoshop CC 14.2 update prevents AppNap from putting Photoshop down for a nap if you’re running commands, batch actions or scripts in the background while you check mail or surf the web.

Notable Bug Fixes

• Generator stability improvements
  • Fix for a crash while using Color Picker or Layer Styles
  • Fixed renaming of a path to playback action properly
  • Fixed Ctrl/Cmd-J merging multiple shape layers into a single new layer
  • Fixed skewing horizontally for live shapes
  • Fixed Layer in hidden (invisible) group is selected when auto-select layers is set
  • Fixed changing tracking values for font selection returns different results from selected value

33 Responses to Photoshop CC 14.2 Update – JDI features, Mac Pro/OS X 10.9 compatibility and notable bug fixes

1. Jon says:

Still hoping for automatic date and time layer naming. ;)

2. sam benelli says:

in mavericks 10.9.1 still impossible to view finder preview of multilayered tif / psd.

3. Brian says:

Any plans to fix the polygonal lasso tool? It still freezes and closes the selection prematurely (and it happens to be one of the tools I use most!).

4. Naftoli Mann says:

A preview option for patterns brushes and layer styles in bridge would be awesome

5. Cory says:

Is it possible to control where Generator saves images? If not, is it planned?

6. E Claeys says:

The Creative Cloud window that appeared on my PC saying there was an update for Photoshop CC mentioned “support for a broader range of Windows stylus devices…” but I don’t see that mentioned on this page. What additional devices are supported? For example, the stylus on the Microsoft Surface Pro?

7. I would like to see the Actions in the Action Pallet automatically condense into the title, so we don’t have to see so many actions open . I know there is the Button Mode option, but this addition will help many users too. Maybe lock Actions option so the Actions will not accordion out. Thank You.

8. Due to my work, I am in desperate need of help with Photoshop — is there a number I can call — Please help — my photoshop program just won’t work as it used to and it is becoming worse — maybe i need an update but cannot seem to find what i need — i tried — please helpTHANKS

9. Cory says:

I’m finding that the latest update (14.2) of generator is more flaky. In 14.1 it would occasionally stop updating a .png as I modified the layer, in 14.2 it will reliably stop updating .png’s as I modify the layers. I have to close the psd and open it again to force it to update all the png’s.

10. Pingback: OS X 10.9 Mavericks: Will Adobe software work? | conradchavez.com | blog

11. Mikayla says:

On photoshop cc I downloaded a templet I bought off if etsy.com, on the templet there are words that give instructions on how to do stuff but when I print it the words with instructions are still ther and print on top of the pictures. How do I make the words go away?

12. Julio McLaren says:

creo que no se deverian de apegar mucho al procesador grafico, dejarlo opcional aunque sea lento pero opcional, en una pc sin GPU photoshop pierde cada vez mas caracteristicas, y la pluma la siento demasiado lenta aun al utilizarla a grandes velocidades en trazados

13. I run the Mac labs in the ACE Faculty at the University of the West of England, Bristol
    We have intermittent faults with Adobe Photoshop CC. The usual fault is something in the nature of Photoshop has run out of memory and then it won’t save the students work – seems to happen mostly with Macs with 4GB, running 10.7 & 10.8. Can’t tie it down.
    However in my quest to prove there is a severe problem with memory management, i now have a guaranteed way of crashing Photoshop and usually the Mac too. The same routine with CS6 runs smoothly and quickly with no problem.
    Try this:
    Use a Mac with masses of free scratch disk space.
    Make an A4 multi-layered file; say 50 small objects at 200 dpi.
    Now resize it: Image…Image Size to 1200 dpi keeping it at A4.
    Don’t save it. (This works fine, albeit slower than CS6)
    Resize it again to 2400 dpi keeping it at A4. Eventually Photoshop chokes with the progress bar getting stuck and usually the Mac has to be switched off and on – reminds me of the good old days!
    Activity monitor for Photoshop zips up to about 600 then slowly reduces to about 30, the disks seems to keep thrashing but that’s it – stuck.
    If anyone wants the file I use you are more than welcome.
    This seems to me to prove the point that the virtual memory management has indeed changed from CS6.
    Also I have purchased ~ 4,600 copies od Adobe CC for the institution and I am not best pleased!

• Hi George,

Are you saving to a local drive or a network server/device? I’ll have someone work with you to help get you sorted.

• I have just tried Brett’s advice on not leaving it on “Automatic” and selecting “Bicubic Smoother” and sure enough it works very well indeed.
        As for the saving problems and memory complaint, I will try and get precise details of particular machines acting up as otherwise it is too vague.
        My confidence in Photoshop CC feels a bit restored and I really appreciate your active response.

• Brett N says:

Hello George,

In Photoshop CC we introduced a new enlargement interpolation method called Preserve Details. The new Image Size dialog box defaults to using “Automatic”, which will select Preserve Details when enlarging images. This interpolation method is much more processor intensive than the CS6 default: Bicubic Smoother. If you use Bicubic Smoother in CC, you will likely see a performance increase over CS6. My benchmarks looked like this: When increasing from 200 dpi to 1200 the times were:

Photoshop CS6 with Bicubic Smoother: 12 seconds
      Photoshop CC with Bicubic Smoother: 11 seconds
      Photoshop CC with Preserve Details: 3 minutes 28 seconds

As we can see, there is a marked difference between Bicubic Smoother and Preserve Details. I would recommend using the same interpolation method in CC as you were using in CS6 to see the same (or better!) performance.

• Brett N says:

Just to note, this test was with an A4 sized file with 53 layers (52 plus the Background).

Just completed my bench marks for 1200 to 2400 dpi:
        CS6: 1 minute 8 seconds
        CC: 1 minute 5 seconds
        CC w/Preserve Details: 23 minutes 13 seconds

14. Brett
    Brilliant, you’ve pinpointed the resize problem.
    Just tested your suggestion and all works well and quickly.
    I will try and pinpoint which machines are giving us problems with memory and saving errors.
    The saving is to local drives.

15. Adam says:

Is there a vector mode in this update? for example on a mac if I were to fullscreen preview a 500x500px psd on a retina macbook by selecting the file in finder (pressing spacebar) the shape and text layers (vector layers) don’t pixelate even though the dimensions are tiny, this shows that it’s possible. As it stands Photoshop will open the same file and make it tiny as the canvas runs at a 1:1 pixel ratio and then when zoomed in the vector layers pixelate, the only other current option is to run in low res mode which is equally as bad as everything looks worse than a non retina display.

16. anthony g says:

i have had 4 crashes today all when trying to scape a layer …. and im on cc

17. Graham Baker says:

I have a new Mac Pro 3.7GHz Quad Core with 32 GB RAM. Running OS 10.9.2 and Photoshop CC 14.2.1. I have 2 scratch discs assigned in Photoshop in this order 1. an external 2TB USB Disk with 1.5GB free and 2. my internal SSD which has 16 GB free. Recently my Photoshop has been crashing for no obvious or common reason, stating “There is a scratch disc error, photoshop will now quit”. Has anyone had any experience with similar issues and if so did they solve them? It’s doing my head in now. Never had this problem before. and it’s not really helping not knowing which scratch disc is causing the issues.

• Hi Graham,

Is this happening regularly. I would start by eliminating the external drive as a scratch disk. If the problem goes away, you know it’s the external drive or the connection.