2014 release of Photoshop CC: FAQ

I’ve assembled some Q & A around updating/upgrading to the 2014 release of Photoshop CC below. If you don’t see your question answered below, let me know in the comments section and I will try and answer.

Updating/Upgrading to the 2014 release of Photoshop CC FAQ

Welcome2014

How do I install the 2014 release of Photoshop CC update?

From Photoshop CS6, choose Help>Updates… to launch the Adobe Application Manager. A new version of the Adobe Application Manager will start to download. After it’s downloaded, it will relaunch and the new CC applications will show up when you sign-in. (Note: If the Adobe Application Manager is already open, quit it and relaunch it to get it to self-update)

• Note: By default, the Creative Cloud app is a menu item on Mac:

CreativeCloudMenu

• If you want it to show up in the OS X Dock and show up in list of open applications when you Cmd + Tab to switch applications, 1. click on the Creative Cloud icon in the menu, and then 2. choose “Open as Window” from the gear menu:

OpenAsWIndow

Note: Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app is supported on Mac OS X 10.7 or later, and Windows 7 or later. If you’re downloading an App on an older operating system, Adobe Application Manager is used to download and install your app.

How do Install Extension Manager 7.2 to support CC 2014 applications?

After Installing Photoshop CC 2014 you will want to also Update the Extension Manager to version 7.2.

• To check the version of your Extension Manager, choose About Extension Manager and notice the version number listed
    If a version lower than 7.2 is installed, the Extension Manager will not be able to work with CC 2014 applications

• If no update beyond 7.1 is available via Creative Cloud Desktop app initially, perform these steps to get the latest version of Extension Manager installed.

• Uninstall the Extension Manager using its uninstaller.

• Mac: /Applications/Extension Manager CC/Uninstall Adobe Extension Manager CC

• Win: Add/Remove Programs

• Quit the Creative Cloud Desktop Application

• Restart CC Desktop Application

• Reinstall Extension Manager

You should now have Extension Manager 7.2 installed.
Where is MiniBridge/Kuler?

How do I install the Photoshop CC update for Creative Cloud if I’m a new member?

If you’re brand new to Creative Cloud, all apps and services can be installed from the Download Center(Note: if you still see “Apps” instead of “Download Center” clear your browsers cache and cookies for Adobe.com) Go to http://creative.adobe.com and sign in with your Adobe ID. Click Download Center:

Install-dwnldcenter-step1

You can browse through all the apps and services, and view details about all apps and services. Navigate to the App you want to download and install, and click Download. The product detail page opens:

Install-dwnldcenter-step2

Review the details, system requirements, and supported languages. Click Download:

Install-dwnldcenter-step3

• If this is the first time you’re downloading an app, Adobe Creative Cloud is downloaded and installed on your computer. Adobe Creative Cloud then manages the rest of the installation process.

If I install 2014 release of Photoshop CC, does it update and replace the current version of Photoshop I currently have installed?

No. The 2014 release of Photoshop CC (version 2014.0) is a major version update and will install completely separate from the current Photoshop CC or any prior versions you have installed. With major version updates, we may update compilers for development and/or change system requirements, so we don’t automatically replace the prior version for compatibility reasons – e.g. OS, plug-ins, or other system drivers. You are welcome to keep both versions installed, or uninstall prior versions of Photoshop if you would like.

Can I uninstall prior versions of Photoshop (CC, CS6, etc.) after I install the 2014 release of Photoshop CC?

Sure. That decision is totally up to you. After you are comfortable with the Photoshop CC and confirmed all your plug-ins, hardware & printer drivers are working correctly, feel free to uninstall CS6.

How do I uninstall a previous version of Photoshop?

On Mac, go into the Photoshop application folder and double-click the “Uninstall Adobe Photoshop CC” or “Uninstall Adobe Photoshop CS6” icon:

uninstall

On Windows, see: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/uninstall-or-change-a-program

Do I have to re-install my 3rd party plug-ins and extension panels after I update?

Yes. Because the 2014 release of Photoshop CC (version 2014.0)  is a major version update it will install completely separately from the current version of Photoshop CC (version 14.2.1)  and have a separate plug-ins folder. To install your 3rd party plug-ins for Photoshop CC:

DO:

• Only use the plug-in manufacturer’s installer to install their plug-ins

• Always check the plug-in manufacturer’s website for the latest version of your plug-in

DO NOT:

• Do not manually drag plug-ins from a previous version of Photoshop’s plug-ins folder to a newer version of Photoshop’s ‘Plug-Ins’ folder

If you encounter unexplained problems or crashes in Photoshop, use the following documents to determine if plug-ins are the problem:

Note: we removed the option in preferences to point to a “Additional Plug-Ins Folder” in Photoshop CC as it caused more problems than it solved.

How do I migrate my presets from a previous version of Photoshop?

Choose Edit>Presets>Migrate Presets… and follow the on-screen instructions. http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preset-migration-photoshop-cc.html

Why don’t my 3rd Panels show up in the 2014 release of Photoshop CC? What happened to Oil Paint, Mini-Bridge & Kuler?

With each release of Photoshop, our development team needs to do some architectural spring-cleaning. As we modernize our code and add cool new features, we sometimes have to make tough decisions to cull existing features from the herd.

With that said, 3rd party panels using Flash, Mini Bridge, Kuler, & the Oil Paint filter were removed from the 2014 release of PhotoshopCC.

Details and workarounds here:

My sync settings function is disabled. How can I fix that?

Go to Help>Sign Out… to sign out. Choose Help>Sign-in… to sign in again. Quit and relaunch Photoshop CC. Sync Settings should be enabled.

I don’t see the updates for the 2014 release of Photoshop CC in the updater. Why? First, make sure your computer meets the minimum hardware and OS requirements for installation and use.

• Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1 or Windows 8

• Mac OS X v10.7 or v10.8

If your system meets the requirements, make sure that you quit the Adobe Application Manager and relaunch it. If it’s been open it needs to be quit and restarted so that it updates itself to see the CC updates.

I’m having trouble installing Photoshop CC on my system. Where can I get help?

Help with Creative Cloud Download & Install

I’m a Creative Cloud member and Photoshop is asking me for a serial #. How do I fix it?

This is likely your problem: Creative Cloud applications ask for serial number: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/ccm-prompt-serial-number.html

If you need more assistance, get help on our forum here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1234635

How do I sign out of the Creative Cloud app? Click the gear icon in the upper left of the Creative Cloud app and select Preferences:

preferences

Click Account in the preferences dialog and click Sign-Out:

signout

Where can I learn about more about the new features in the 2014 release of Photoshop CC?

I’m brand new to Photoshop. Where should I start?

Where do I find older versions of Photoshop to download from Creative Cloud?

Additional Questions:

Additional Information:

Additional info on the 2014 release of Photoshop CC:

94 Responses to 2014 release of Photoshop CC: FAQ

1. Thanks for sharing all of this, it’s very helpful. This information really should be available upfront when installing the latest version of the CC apps. The naming conventions for the versions (13->13.2->2014, etc) are confusing and not-so-obvious considering that the version prior to “2014” came out in January of…2014.

2. Drew says:

After installing all these updates I find it is no longer possible to open a file with ACR into Photoshop CC, they will only open into Photoshop CC 2014. You know what Adobe? That is just not very useful. I mean what is the point of retaining the old version of the program anyway, if you can’t really use it? Here I was thinking I could setup 2014 on the side while continuing my work, instead I have a big glitch to deal with.

• Pete Green says:

Are you opening from Bridge? If you are, you can Right click one of the RAW images and choose to open in Photoshop CC instead of Photoshop CC 2014.
      Are you on Mac or Windows?
      Might need to adjust the file association with the RAW files you’re working with.

• Drew says:

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m on Windows. Setting the file associations for my RAW files to PS CC allows me to right click and Open With PS CC. Double-clicking still opens in 2014 despite CC being the default. I can live with that for a little while, until I get all my plug-ins installed in 2014.

• captainifr says:

I had this problem a few years ago and found the solution in the registry.

I just found this online and it sounds similar to what I did to correct it.

From:

After looking at a new user’s registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER and comparing it to the one on the original user, I found a registry value which was not changed, and should have been.

I found a key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

This key was set to the path for Photoshop CS6 when it should have been set to Photoshop CC.

In other words, in my case, it was set to:

“C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe” “%1″

When I changed the CS6 to a CC, in other words, so the whole key reads:

“C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe” “%1″

Everything now works perfectly.

3. Chiaki says:

how about 3rd party extension?
    (not plug-ins, add on installed from extension manager.)
    I can see the extension on the extension manager on the ps 2014 section, but it doesn’t show up on ps.
    I disabled once and enabled it but it won’t show up.
    The extension is KNS5.

4. Brad says:

The whole “Creative Cloud” apps concept has always been advertised that we’d be getting all of our applications updated with new features as soon as they were added. Doing this 2014 release is no different than going back to they way we changed from CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6 with “major version updates” every 12-18 months.

Looks like Creative Cloud was just a cheap parlor trick by Adobe to get people paying monthly. If not, then why weren’t all of these new 2014 features rolled out as soon as they were developed?

• The 2014 release of Photoshop CC (version 2014.0) is a major version update and will install completely separate from the current Photoshop CC or any prior versions you have installed. With major version updates, we may update compilers for development and/or change system requirements, so we don’t automatically replace the prior version for compatibility reasons – e.g. OS, plug-ins, or other system drivers. You are welcome to keep both versions installed, or uninstall prior versions of Photoshop if you would like.

• Tim says:

Agreed, I feel cheated. My “photography” package that promised updates for life, and I sold friends on because I’ll always have the latest version. Now looks like a cheap trick to get photographers off the pirated versions easily available, from what I’ve been told.

5. Ollie says:

I have just installed Photoshop CC 2014 and uninstalled the previous version. I use Lightroom 5 and regularly use the merge to HDR Pro function in Lightroom which opens up Photoshop. I have tried this on the 2014 version and it opens Photoshop but that is all it does. None of the merging happens at all, it’s just a blank Photoshop page. Is this a glitch or should I try reinstalling PS CC 2014? Any light shed on this matter would be greatly appreciated as it’s annoying me somewhat. And I can’t reinstall the old version either.

• Try this: install Photoshop CC 2014 over the top of itself (without removing it). To do this, in the Creative Cloud desktop app, go to the Apps tab. In the lower half, labeled Find New Apps, there is a filter drop-down to the right. By default it says All Apps or Filters & Versions, click it and choose Previous Version. Find Photoshop on the list and the button will say “Install” but it will also be a drop-down menu. Choose CC 2014 (15.0). This will do a “repair” install over the top of your existing files.

6. KAthy Smith says:

Since updating to PS 2014 Windows/Extensions is greyed out!!! I have many extensions in my previous version of photoshop CC.

7. Jay Gould says:

From Glyn Dewis:

WHERE ARE MY PLUG INS?
    Ok so if you were using plug ins with Photoshop CC before you updated you may find now that you have done so you can no longer see them and in fact if you navigate to where the plug ins are stored within the file structure you’ll not see them there either HOWEVER there is a simple fix without having to re-install them…

STEP 1: Navigate to the Photoshop CC folder in APPLICATIONS
    STEP 2: Double Click to Open the PLUG-INS Folder to reveal all those installed and simply highlight them all and EDIT – COPY (Right Click + Copy)
    STEP 3: Navigate to the Photoshop CC 2014 folder in APPLICATIONS
    STEP 4: Double Click to Open the PLUG-INS Folder and then EDIT – PASTE (Right Click + Paste)
    STEP 5: Close and Re-Open Photoshop CC 2014

????????????

8. terrellc woods says:

After updating my creative cloud suite last night PS2014 no longer loads my plugins. The main two being NIK and OnOne. Is this there problem or on my end. I would assume Adobe had at least tested the more popular apps that integrate tightly. Also how long will the the PS CC run as the option to 2014?
    Thanks

9. Katherine Mann says:

I updated PsCC to 2014 yesterday, as well as Lightroom 5.5. Lightroom is running ACR 8.5 whereas PsCC 2014 is running ACR 8.0 and I have installed all the updates.
    How do I update PsCC 2014 so that it will be in sync with respect to ACR with Lr 5.5? What am I missing here?

Thanks!

10. Dave Katz says:

I’m curious why this update has a year-time-stamp on it, while all of the other updates have been just within the same package/bundle. It is slightly confusing that I now I have to check to see if there’s any changes I’m unhappy with, and then go back and uninstall the previous versions. Although I see how it would be nice to “check before you upgrade” I guess I’m now just used to blindly accepting the upgrades and rolling with it, isn’t that the idea with CC anyhow? I mean, how long with the older versions of CC be supported anyways, its just a matter of time before you have to go to the newer version of CC “2014” or “2015.” I’m confused, but I thought CC was a way of getting rid of the time-stamp-based programs.

11. A. Cathalifaud says:

The Flash-based Extensions not being supported info detailed above was not easy to come by. I spent close to three hours yesterday with your chat and twitter “support” teams and got nowhere. The whole thing is rather puzzling because you decided to leave the Extensions menu just where it was before but grayed out and then one has to start digging around for quite a while just to find out is just a “ghost of things past”. (Why is it even there?). Like someone else suggested in this page, these things should be made clear upfront. If you disable a command, leave it there, grayed out, ok, but when hovering above it, for example, a pop up shows up with info and/or a link to find out more and an option to hide the deprecated command. Seriously, this is just an idea (offered for free here) and your hired team could come up with 20 more in an hour. This is the thing: as a designer I spend a large part of my time in creative meetings, dealing with clients and one form or another of paper work and after all that find very little -but precious- time to actually do creating work. I do not appreciate how your team, after all if the WOW exciment you created about your new products and how wonderful they are, leave “easter-egg bombs” for us to find and deal with. I do not have time to do your IT work and for free! At the very least, as proposed above, information about deprecated and/or moved commands and functions should be available right away as one opens up a new or just-updated app, not after wasting time with someone across the world who asks pointless questions over an over again but does little to actually solve an issue correctly; or sifting through dozens of chat board posts and forums and twitter … Come now! Are you thinking these issues through from a user’s perspective?? It does not fee like it at all.

12. Extension manager 7.2 shows my extensions are installed in cc 2014 but they are not showing up in cc. What is wrong?

13. Keith says:

That’s the great thing about JT providing the info here, it’s easier to find the topic/question you have & an easy to use answer rather than trudging thru pages of stuff on adobe.com. He may have even helped answer my question.

14. Glenn Edens says:

The solution to have to re-install all of my plug ins is another astonishing dumb move on the part of Adobe, that and the whole Creative Cloud thing is forcing me (and our large organization) to find other solutions. Adobe you’ve lost it, your treatment of customers is dreadful, the new apps solution is so bogus it is hard to even share thoughts in a professional manner. This is all very sad.

15. Frank says:

Hi there, I’ve updated to CC 2014 today. When choosing Window/Extensions, it’s greyed out. This is the only way to activate the OnOne software panel. In the previous version of CC everything worked fine. I’ve reinstalled OnOne software following their advice, but no result. I’ve checked the folder Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014/Plug-ins/Panels, but the OnOne Palette folder is in there, so that can’t be the problem. Please advice, Frank

16. Hugh Flouch says:

I installed photoshop cc thinking I was just updating CS6. When I went to uninstall it asked me to close CS^, form which i Took it that uninstalling CC will also uninstall CS6. Does anyone have any info on whether it’s safer for me to uninstall CC without also uninstalling CS6?

17. Garrett says:

Having problems with using Adobe Exchange, or any Extensions for that matter. Extensions menu is grayed out under Window (can’t even get a fly-out menu). Was working just dandy in PSH CC. Any help would be appreciated. (working on Mac running 10.9.3, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB memory). Thanks

18. William Stewart says:

Pull down menus in Photoshop CC 2014 are smaller than Photoshop CC. I use Windows 8.1 and I can change the size of pull down menus by changing personalize/display/menus size in Photoshop CC. In Photoshop CC 2014 I can’t change the pull down menu from the default size by adjusting personalize/display/menus.
    Is this a bug in CC 2014? I really want to be able to adjust the pull down menu size.

19. Dennis Smith says:

I can not edit lightroom images is Photoshop cc 2014. When I go to the edit in box it shows PS cc 2014 and the program will open but the image will not appear in PS cc 2014. I have uninstalled PS cc and have no third party plugins installed.

20. Brian Wadie says:

I installed Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 but found that the help files were not available. An error message showed suggesting I should re-install the programme, which I did but I am still seeing the same message.

Any clues as to what I am doing wrong would be most helpful

21. James says:

I’ve been playing with the new Spin and Path Blur filters, but the ‘Blur Effects’ panel doesn’t display any of the sliders to fine-tune the look of the blur. It’s curious, because I know they’re there (if I hover over the blur effects panel the descriptions pop up, and even the two-way arrows). the problem is, I can’t see any of them!

22. Shannon says:

I’m trying to sync my settings/preferences from Photoshop CC to CC 2014. I’ve signed out multiple times and every time I go to sync settings and tell it to download, all it ever does is start, it never finishes. I love your programs but honestly this is so beyond frustrating. Your whole spiel was that you improved efficiency and work flow with the 2014 release. When I update my programs and all my preferences don’t carry over (Illustrator failed too, apparently that’s a known issue) it is NOT efficient!

23. Jeff, you are a star! Your older troubleshooting guide has been super useful for earlier versions, and after reading through this one, I think it will help fix at least 90% of the problems asked about in the Adobe Photoshop forum. Thanks for putting it together.

24. Robin says:

I have a free trial of CC 2014 running. I lost my Oil Paint drop down on CS 6. Not too happy about that. How do I get it back. Can I uninstall all of the programs that this free trial put on my computer? Will it affect my CS6?

25. Joe S says:

Why is Extension greyed out in CC 2014? Manager says my Extensions are installed, but I can’t get to them through the Greyed out field in the drop down under Window. I have Googled this problem and it seems a lot of others are having the same problem. Is this one of the features that’s gone forever or is something wrong????

26. Neil Wallace says:

Hi there

Just wondered if you have any insight as to why Photoshop CC 2014 continually crashes on launch. I’ve trie the logging out of Cloud fix to no avail?

Cheers

Neil

27. Carol Parker says:

I took a look at Extension Manager and it is version 6.0.8.28 named Adobe Extension Manager CS6. I am still using my owned version of CS6 as well as my subscribe copy of CC 2014. I looked at uninstalling it to upgrade to the latest version per your advice but there is no uninstaller. What should I do?

28. Gail says:

Hi Jeffrey,
    Running Mac 10.9.4, LR 5.5 and CC 2014. When I updated to CC 2014 I have errors. I cannot edit a photo from LR in CC 2014 unless I select open as smart object. I looked at your response to others – I do not have the option to install a prior version of CC in my CC APPs window.
    If I select open as smart object, do my edits and then chose save to return to LR, the file doesn’t save. The error message is: photoshop is undefined. Line: 1 – photoshop.notifyLightroomDocSaved (‘lightroom-2.0′, ‘2E9FD358-3D55-4E4C-9D61-EEECA077E88′, followed by the filename.
    When I close CC 2014 I receive a message Photoshop quit unexpectly, would you like to report to Apple?
    Would it be best to completely uninstall LR and PS CC? I also use onOne, Topaz, Alien Skin and NIK softwares so I assume I would need to re-install these as well.
    Thanks,
    Gail

29. John Strain says:

Hi Jeff,
    I have a subscription to Photoshop and I have Lightroom as a perpetual licence. I had a trial subscription to Lightroom and its mobile app before I acquired the Lightroom program.
    I now find that my mobile app on the iPad will not work. It keeps telling me that my trial has expired and yet whenever I close Lightroom on my PC desktop it always asks me if I really want to close because it is syncing with my mobile app and that this will resume when I next open Lightroom. Lightroom itself when I have it open, also says that it is syncing.
    I have spoken to Adobe support but they cannot help and say that it is because I have a perpetual licence instead of a subscription.
    This is a real pain for me as I really need the mobile ap but I do not want to have to spend more money having already bought the perpetual licence. I feel that this would be very unfair. I would not mind paying separately a small amount for the mobile app.
    I have noticed this article: http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw0JSAox8 which seems to resolve my problem.
    I just wondered if you are able to help. It seems that other users have the same problem.

I have tried to put this on another Adobe forum which you reply to as well but I don’t think it worked. So apologies if I am double posting.
    All the best,
    John

• Hi John, I see you have the single app membership for Photoshop. You really want the CC Photography Plan because it includes Photoshop, Lightroom & Lightroom mobile at a better price. I’ll have someone contact you about changing plans and getting you up and running.

• John Strain says:

Hi Jeff,
        Thank you very much for your reply – much appreciated indeed.
        I look forward to discussing the options.
        All the best,
        John

30. Sarah says:

Dear Jeffrey,

This is completely unrelated to the topic, but I was reading various articles (some kinda old) and saw you customer advocating for the mongol hordes awhile back on controversial subjects. It looked kinda rough. I just wanted to leave a message of appreciation for your information and wish you a nice day. So, thanks. And have a nice day!

The end,
    Sarah

31. Tony says:

I run Win 7 on a PC. I installed Photoshop CC (2014) OK, but there is no desktop icon for it. I still have desktop icons for CS5 (in order to print custom sizes on HP Z3100, which CC can’t do) and Photoshop CC, but no icon for Photoshop CC 2014. The Bridge update remains the same icon.
    I can’t find the 2014 program in my program lists, I can only find Photoshop CC (64 bit), Photoshop CC (which seems to be the 32 bit version of the old CC) and Photoshop CS5. Therefore, I can’t make an icon for it either.
    Without an icon, nor access through the program lists, I can only run PS CC 2014 in two ways: open any PSD in Windows Explorer or run Bridge.
    \How can I make an icon for PS CC 2014?

If anybody is collecting feedback, one reason people upgraded Photoshop every second new program was the complexity of getting the working space and 3rd party plug-ins back into shape. Now, with CC it seems I am drinking from a fire hose with frequent updates, extended download times and lots of ancillary fuss to get the thing working again…..

32. martie rumley says:

can not print to my my Epson 3880 from CC2014
    freezes computer

33. Carla says:

Thank you Adobe for costing me a whole bunch of money in downtime. I’m now trying to fix the lost file associations

• What issue are you having with file associations? Are you on Mac or Windows? Try this: install Photoshop CC 2014 over the top of itself (without removing it). To do this, in the Creative Cloud desktop app, go to the Apps tab. In the lower half, labeled Find New Apps, there is a filter drop-down to the right. By default it says All Apps or Filters & Versions, click it and choose Previous Version. Find Photoshop on the list and the button will say “Install” but it will also be a drop-down menu. Choose CC 2014 (15.0). This will do a “repair” install over the top of your existing files.

34. Tim Wilcock says:

I have installed CC and have managed to get my NIK software set up (through a utube video) but I cannot get my Tony Kuyper Actions Panel set up as it was before. According to the TK website and my Download Instructions the Actions Panel should be loaded into
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Panels
    BUT there is no Panels folder in my CC files anywhere.

Any clues as to how I get this sorted?

35. Brian Hodgson says:

Hi,
    I purchased the monthly PS+LR today although I have been a happy LR user since it started. I specifically wanted PS to use the Focus Stacking but after a few hours I could not get it to work and so looked on line to see if I could find anything. From a post on the PS forum it would seem that Focus Stacking is no longer working (although I’ve seen nothing from Adobe to confirm this)

Is Focus Stacking working on PS 2014?
    If not, when will it be fixed?
    If it isn’t going to be fixed for a while can I download an older PS version, which works, even though I have only signed up today (18 August 2014)?

Thanks

Brian

36. Wayne says:

Just installed PS CC; opens in edit mode. How do I get to the organizer?

• Hi Wayne, sounds like you’re more familiar with Elements which has an Editor and Organizer. Photoshop CC works with Lightroom as the “organizer” and Adobe Bridge CC as a file browser. You can browse files using Bridge by selecting File>Browse In Bridge or simply launch Lightroom 5 from Windows or the Mac Finder.
      Free Photoshop and Lightroom learning resources (video tutorials, user manuals, etc) from Adobe: http://adobe.ly/iczlLh

37. Daniel Aguiar says:

I took two semester work in Photoshop way back in ’98+’99 and bought the 4.0 version. I never mastered every feature of that complicated program, but often employed layers and masks in personal photo work in the intervening years. I registered my version with your company as recommended. Is there any way I can update to a version now popular for the general public that might provide me some handy photo editing features? Thank you for any consideration.

38. Mark Twemlow says:

I am a new CC subscriber using a well specced Win 7 computer. Lightroom 5 works well but I have not been able to use PS CC 2014. I have installed it and have got the following message: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working corrrectly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available””> Windows didn’t close the program – except with my help – and has not notified me of a solution.
    I have uninstalled and re-installed the program from Cloud. I have tried the installing a previous version over the first version. Creative Cloud says I am up to date. I have updated Windows and I believe all my drivers are also updated.
    What to do next?
    Cheers, Mark

39. Pat Leduc says:

I need a new computer for Photoshop cc 2014 and will be using Photoshop, Bridge, and Lightroom. I do not know much about computers I just use them. Could you give me an idea of what I should Buy.

40. Russel Ray says:

I tried upgrading from CC to CC 2014 the day 2014 came out and found that I lost all of my Actions and Plug-Ins. So I uninstalled and went back to CC, deciding to wait until people could answer all the questions relating to why things didn’t work and such. Today I’m taking the plunge because I’m too far behind my customers.

This thread was the most useful ever regarding upgrading, but I may be back with questions if things don’t work. Thanks.

41. robert says:

Why on earth did this happen without sort of warning or notice? Suddenly one day – thinking i’m simply updating CC with my subscription ‘- im faced with an entirely new Photoshop app on my computer. And now–im the midst of the busy wedding season- have to try and navigate getting all my plug-ins to functions. Isn’t this “Creative Cloud’ nonsense we’re paying for supposed to prevent hassles and make this all easier?….

42. Nathan MacDonough says:

After updating to the latest version of Photoshop CC 2014, the program will no longer open. When I try to pen the program, it seems to open fine for a few seconds, then a second window opens that seems to be introducing some of the new features, then another window opens stating that “Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 has stopped working.” I then need to close the program. I tried uninstalling and re-installing, but to no avail. I saw that someone else in the above comments had a similar problem. What can I do? (Lightroom is working fine…) I would appreciate some help! Thanks.

• Hi Nathan,

Does the application tell you what the faulting module is? Do you have any antivirus installed? If you temporarily disable it, does PS launch properly? If so, check for an update for your antivirus.

43. Udo Jansen says:

Hello,

I have now installed Camera Raw version 8.5. After deleting the content in the folder AAMUpdater, it was shown that an update for Camera Raw is available.

Best regards,
    Udo Jansen

44. Great. Thanks for closing the loop.