2014 release of Photoshop CC: Separate 32-bit/64-bit installation

With the 2014 release of Photoshop CC, Creative Cloud will install the correct version of Photoshop for your Windows OS (operating system):

• If you have a 32-bit version of Windows 7 or Windows 8, Creative Cloud will install the 32-bit version of Photoshop
  • If you have a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Windows 8, Creative Cloud will only install the 64-bit version of Photoshop.

In order to optimize download and install time, we no longer package both the 64-bit and 32bit version in the same installer.

If you have a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 and require a 32-bit version of Photoshop for compatibility with legacy plug-ins or device drivers, you can download the 32-bit version of Photoshop here:

Additional info on the 2014 release of Photoshop CC:

45 Responses to 2014 release of Photoshop CC: Separate 32-bit/64-bit installation

1. Patrick says:

Hello,

Photoshop CC 2014 : using windows 8 on 64bit computer

Message: photoshop has stopped working.

I have uninstalled/ reinstalled it but still not working!

Help!

2. Aby Abraham says:

Thanks for the update. Now no need to worry about downloading different files for 32 or 64…..Its easy NOW….And i like it.

Thanks :)

3. John McAssey says:

Where can we download the CC 2014 64bit installer before I could clone the Photoshop Version 15 7Zip package it was extracted and the 7zip file was deleted.

4. Margaret Pyron says:

I like the “panel” feature in PS CC.. I didn’t realize that MOST of them would only carry over as actions–IF they carried over at all. I am confused. I feel sure that Adobe doesn’t want us to use 2 programs. Should I just DELETE the 2014 or what???? I can never find a place to ask a simple question !!!

5. CC 2014 installs as a trial only.

And CC and CS6 cannot get ACR 8.5.

6. Jean McCleery says:

Thank you for this information Pete! I was able to resolve my issue of switching platforms from Windows to Mac (concerning Photoshop CS6) by working with Adobe customer service. I appreciate their help and yours.
    This was my very first time to post to/or to use Adobe Forum. So I’m not exactly sure sure how to close out this thread now that my issue has been resolved. :) Working on it right now! Thanks to everyone who helped me resolve this issue. Jean M.

7. AJ says:

When I updated from the last version to this, it installed the 32bit version automatically rather than the 64bit version. Is there a way to download the 64bit version similar to the 32bit one you mention in the post?

8. Barry Heil says:

Does this also apply to InDesign? Looks like the 32 bit version is there, plus the 64 bit version and now the 2014. Making it very confusing. I primarly use 64 bit, this is now incorporated in the 2014???. My client is running 32 bit, doe not have Cloud or Internet. how do I save files for them and how will they get updates in the future. They just purchased 6 licenses for Creative Suite in March 204?

9. Diana Cooke says:

My creative cloud update to Photoshop cc 2014 does not have 64 bit after it, none of the extensions appear, such as mini bridge, I operate under 64 bit…how do I get the 64 bit program? thanks

10. Dov Isaacs says:

Although the need for 32-bit Photoshop is ascribed to the need “for compatibility with legacy plug-ins or device drivers,” the fact is there really isn’t anything legacy about TWAIN drivers for scanners. For a number of scanners currently on the market, TWAIN is the only manner in which Photoshop may be used to directly scan from those devices! Lacking any Adobe-provided interface between 64-bit Photoshop and TWAIN, at least on Windows, the need for 32-bit Photoshop persists for more users than the Photoshop product management team believes need it!

• Hi Dov,

I really don’t recommend that customers scan directly from Photoshop.

Personally, I do all my scanning in the background with the stand-alone scanner software. All TWAIN really does is call that software, so there’s no quality difference, plus you’re not locking Photoshop up just to doing scanning or arbitrarily running PS in 32-bit just to scan. You can retouch and edit images in Photoshop in 64-bit while you scan in the background – which is far more efficient.

• Dov Isaacs says:

Maybe yes, maybe no.

It seems to be more an issue of personal preference for workflow. Scan time using USB 3 or IEEE 1394 connections is relatively fast and I don’t find that background scanning does anything for me. On the other hand, independently scanning with a scanner vendor’s utility in standalone mode requires specification of file name to save to (remembering to use lossless TIFF as opposed to lossy JPEG) after each scan and then to explicitly open the images in Photoshop.

It is a personal preference that I feel has been taken away from us in Photoshop 64-bit.

• For devices that never provided native 64-bit driver support, it was never an option in Photoshop 64-bit. :)

If one really wants to scan directly in Photoshop 64-bit, and their device manufacture doesn’t provide a 64-bit driver, VueScan 9.x adds 64-bit support for TWAIN scanning on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux: http://www.hamrick.com/

11. Kwesi Arter says:

Hi, I have installed the latest Photoshop CC 2014 but the 3D option is not working. Anytime I try to change the work space to 3D mode, its tells me ‘Photoshop has stop working’ “Crushes”. Any reasons and solutions to that? thanks.

12. Tom Buckner says:

Hi, I’ve just installed CC 2014, using CCloud to download and install. Every time I start it, it comes up, looks like it’s settled, then crashes within 10 seconds with a message: “Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 has stopped working. Windows is searching for a solution. . . . ” I’ve checked/updated the video driver for AMD Radeon HD 7570, I’m running 64 bit Win7 Professional on a Dell 8500 with 8GB of RAM. I’ve rebooted, closed all other programs, etc.. No probems at all with Photoshop CC. Would appreciate some help. Thanks.

Tom Buckner

13. Michael Sandman says:

I’m running Windows 7 64 bit. I’ve repeatedly installed Photoshop CC 2014 using the Creative Cloud application, but the application installs only the 32 bit version. I’ve uninstalled CC and Photoshop CC 2014 and reinstalled them and get the same results. Bridge 64 bit is installed. When I click to open a file in Bridge, I get an error message: Windows cannot find ‘C:\Program Files\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe…” And indeed, the 64 bit version is not in the folder.

If I right click on an image in Bridge, I can select Open with.. and select Adobe Photoshop CC 2014, but it seems to be the 32 bit version.

I can probably download a trial version of Photoshop CC 2014 64 bit from teh website, but Is there a way to make the 64 bit version download properly from the Creative Cloud application? I’d like this to work liek it’s supposed to, and update properly in the future.

Thanks

14. tlw2 says:

Same problem with Windows 8.1 64-bit. Creative Cloud is 32-bit and only installs 32-bit apps.

15. Junko says:

I accidently uninstalled photoshop on my mac. I tried to reinstall but it won’t let me.

16. Kevin says:

How do I activate CC 2014?
    My CC version is showing as 14.2.1 x64 and Update tells me I’m updated.but new features like Focus Area Selection are not available.
    Help please.

17. Kevin says:

Had to open the CC app separately but all good now.
    Thanks

18. Stephen McGuire says:

I have downloaded the trial version but keep getting this error message when attempting to enter photoshop
    C:/programfiles(x86)\microsoftoffice\office15\ospprearm.exe is not working windows are looking for a solution

Can anyone help its driving me nutty

19. Steve says:

Hey,
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit SP1 new install fully updated,
    GE Force 8800 GTS (latest driver)
    2.4 Ghz Quad-core processor 4GB ram

Photoshop.exe Bad Image

C:\Windows\System32\MSVCR110.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

got any ideas?

Thanks

20. Megan says:

I installed PS 2014 and I worked fine that day. The next day it wouldn’t start up. Initilaizes then the message ‘photoshop has stopped working’. I was on this forum and followed the steps. Drivers are up to date, still didn’t work. Deleted the preference file and restart, it worked. Then to day it wont work again. The pref file I deleted isn’t there, the drivers are fine. I unistalled and reinstalled and its still getting same message. I don’t understand why you are giving advice to go into ‘edit-preferences, etc.’. Obviously if it doesn’t start up and shuts down no one can get to the edit screen.

I really need someones help. I have work that is due and I pay for a subscription. I need tobe able to access the product without comlpletely reinventing my hard drive.