Some common questions came up after the 2014 release of Photoshop CC which were mainly centered around the theme of “Where is my stuff?”… more specifically:

Welcome2014Why a separate, new version for 2014?

“Why do I now have two versions of Photoshop installed?” is  is at the heart of the confusion. The 2014 release of Photoshop CC (2014.x) is a completely separate application from Photoshop CC (14.x). But, why?

The most common reaction is: “I thought the whole idea around Creative Cloud was there wasn’t going to be new versions…just continuous updates.” In theory, yes, but there are times when software and hardware changes require us to make more radical changes to the application. We may need to change hardware or OS compatibility as we continually modernize our software. We may need to cull some existing features as part of an architectural spring cleaning. Some applications may need to make changes to their file format. Some changes may break compatibility with old plug-ins or device drivers.

In the past, we regularly released separate, full versions that you could go back to for compatibility reasons – perhaps to work with a client on an older version, or to eke out a few more years from an ancient computer, scanner, printer or favorite plug-in that was no longer being developed. If you’re a long time Photoshop user, you’ve lived through compatibility changes with shifts from 32-bit to 64-bit OSs and hardware, and older shifts for things like OS9>Mac OS X, PPC>Intel, etc.

With the 2014 release, there were enough major changes to necessitate the release of a new full version. By default, we install full new versions on release, however you can uninstall the prior version if you like.

In the future, should the need to release a new full version arise, I’d like to see us provide a way to replace the current version by default, but also offer a way for you to decide if you want both versions installed.

Why aren’t my settings, workspaces and presets synced?

Photoshop has provided a way to Migrate Presets between versions since CS6. In CC, the idea of Sync Settings was introduced. There currently are some subtle differences/behaviors between Migrate Presets and Sync Settings that need to be considered.

• Sync Settings synchronizes settings between installations of the same major version of Photoshop. For example, settings are synchronized between a Photoshop CC version 2014.0 installation and a Photoshop CC version 2014.1 installation.
  • Sync Settings does not synchronize settings across installations of different Photoshop major versions. For example, Photoshop CC version 14.1 settings are not synchronized with an installation of the 2014 release of Photoshop CC (2014.0).
  • Migrate Presets works to migrate your presets from one major version of Photoshop to another major version of Photoshop locally on a single computer. For example, if you have Photoshop CC, you can migrate your presets from Photoshop CC (14.x) to the 2014 release of Photoshop CC (2014.x) if they are installed on the same computer.

There are two ways to Migrate Presets:

• When you first launch the newer version of Photoshop, you are prompted to migrate the presets/settings. Choose Yes.
  • At any point in time, select Edit > Presets > Migrate Presets to migrate settings.

After you Migrate Presets from Photoshop CC (14.x) to the 2014 release of Photoshop CC (2014.x), you can use Sync Settings to synchronize those settings across computers on which the 2014 release of Photoshop CC (2014.x) is installed.

In the future, I’d like to see us auto-magically handle Preset Migration and Sync Settings for any update, whether it’s a minor version update or a full version upgrade so that when you launch the new version, all your settings, workspaces and presets will be available.

Where are my plug-ins? Where are my Extensions? Why is the Extensions menu disabled?

3rd party plug-ins using their own installation mechanism aren’t automatically moved or syncronized between major versions. Often, 3rd party plug-ins put required files for things like DRM (activation) in directories outside the plug-in folders. For this reason, just moving the plug-ins between versions can sometimes break things. It’s always best to go to the 3rd party developer’s website and download the installer for the latest compatible version.

If you installed extensions in CS6 or CC (v14) using the Extension Manager, your 3rd party extensions aren’t automatically synchronized between major versions. Further, extension panels using Flash are no longer supported. We’ve worked with 3rd party developers to migrate most panels to use the new SDK/HTML5 so they are compatible with the 2014 release of Photoshop CC.

There is good news for customers who use plug-ins and panels. With the advent of Adobe Add-ons, add-on products (including extension panels, plug-ins, scripts and presets) installed from the Add-ons site will automatically be synchronized between desktops and compatible application versions.

In the future, I’d like to see us continue to work with 3rd party developers to use Adobe Add-ons such that the synchronization story is stronger for plug-ins and extensions panels.

We’d love your feedback!

Let me know if you have any feedback on other improvements you’d like to see. You can share your feedback here in the comments section or via the following links:

30 Responses to Photoshop CC to 2014: Where’s my stuff? (Settings, workspaces, presets, panels, plug-ins)

1. Jim Kelly says:

I cannot open Photoshop. I get a message in German and error message 16.
    Please help.

2. Anya says:

I deleted Photoshop CC and installed Photoshop CC 2014. I would like to reinstall Photoshop CC due to plug in issues, however it is no longer offered in my cloud menu. How can I get that back as an option. Please advise.

thank you.

3. Kerry Nobbs says:

Lost Photoshop in a computer crash from a worm and the original disks lots in moving.

4. I purchased a new iMac in late August and downloaded CC on September 2nd. I have tried to familiarize myself with Lightroom 5 and discovered today that in in the Develop module I am missing the Section that is identified as Basic. The entire section is missing. Under the line of icons that starts with the Crop icon I see only Tone Curve, Detail, Lens Correction, Effects and Camera Calabration.
    Where do I go to pick up the missing section?

Also, in Library, my film strip at the bottom of the screen has some duplicates. How are the duplicates deleted?

5. Cristin says:

Wait, so is there a way to import my old workspace and key commands?

• Yes, use Migrate Presets to move your stuff from one major version to another, use sync settings to keep your settings in sync between different computers running the same version of Photoshop. Instruction above.

6. Sam Laundon says:

Plugins Loading Slower In Photoshop CC 15.2.1 – Mac
    Hi Jeffery – Maybe you have a clue as to why this is happening.
    Since updating to the latest version, two plugins I created for Photoshop CC are loading very slow. At times I need to click in the panel to make it load. Prior to the update the plugins loaded fine and the still load quickly in Photoshop CC ver 14.2.1.
    This slow loading is on a Mac. The plugins still load fine on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance – Sam

7. Sam Laundon says:

Hi Jeffrey,
    I thought plug-ins and Extension Panels were interchangeable.
    I was referring to extension panels that I created for Photoshop. There we initially created in Configurator, but then I recreated them in HTML5 for Photoshop CC 2014.
    As I said, since the last Photoshop CC 2014 update they are loading very slow on a Mac (Mavericks), but load normally in Windows 7.

Sam

8. Sylvia says:

Why, all of a sudden can I not get into any of my PhotoShop work? I am totally locked out of it. I have NOT reconfigured my computer and when I click on the bogus instructions purporting to remedy the situation, I am told that it cannot be done. What a cheap way to try to FORCE people to upgrade!
    I do NOT want CC. Furthermore, as a poet and photographer, I do not want my work on a cloud. I like the version of PhotoShop that I already have. I bought it and paid for it years ago. I am happy with it and wish to continue to use it. So, why are you holding it and all of my projects hostage? Please release your hold.
    What an outrageous business practice! I would expect more professional behavior from Adobe!

• What version of Photoshop? What OS? What error are you getting? I looked up your account and I don’t see any registered products under the email address you’ve used here. Is it possible it’s under a different email address?

9. John says:

Sorry to be such a dummy, but, I just got the upgrade to CC 2014 and my plug-ins are showing, as we know. The directions above direct me to the Adobe Add-On site. I’ve got several add-ons: Google Nik Collection, Imaginenomic, PortraitProfessional, etc.

1. Do I need to reinstall all of my plug-ins from the 3rd party sites? Even if I’ve already got them on my MBP?
    2. When I used the Adobe Add-On site, the 3rd party site took me through the standard purchasing procedure which, of course, I don’t want to do since I’ve got the plug-in already. I just want my plug-ins to function in CC 2014.
    Can you help? Your directions are somewhat incomplete or unclear regarding how to install or otherwise recover already-purchased plug-ins and how to get them into CC 2014.

10. Melanie says:

I am unable to import my crop tool presets from CS6 to CC2014. I am also unable to locate instructions on how to do so.

11. Laura Simpson says:

Suddenly Photoshop CC 2014.2.2 will not let me print with either of my two printers. The error message reads: “There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer and reopened any documents.” I have gone to System Pref.> printers> and deleted and readded both printers. I have disconnected them both, turned the power of both off and back on again, and I still cannot get PS to let me print. The printers both work fine on my Mac (OS10.9.5) in printing Word documents. Help! I hate to delete PS and reinstall it because I have 10+ plugins I would have to reinstall from the manufacturers’ we sites. I’ve done that once months ago and I don’t have time to do it again.

12. John Redman says:

I have both Topaz Impressions and Topaz Suite along with on-one Perfect Photo Suite Plug-ins that say the are not compatible with PhotoshopCC 2014 that I just bought. I paid a lot of money for these program plug-ins and now i can’t use them??? What gives???

13. Angela says:

Where can I find to have the Tools panel show on the Photoshop CC 2014? Clicked the x (close) and now I can’t get it back on to show again.

14. Wesley Channell says:

April 15, 2015 update
    It seems ridiculous that you would take so little consideration for your customers. I have relied on plug ins for my workflow for years and now, in an already busy workflow, I must add the time to reinstall and reconnect things that were working perfectly until yesterday’s updates. Multiply that by the multitudes of customers you have, it has created millions of hours of unnecessary bother and work.
    As one who has always bought and paid for your services, it seems you show little customer loyalty to create such a problem and a great smugness to suggest all that we have to do, when Adobe should have thought of making it easier for their customers first.

15. manjunatha says: