FAQ: Photoshop CC 2015.5 now available

Photoshop 2015.5 Update (6/20/2016)

6/20/2016 – Today we released Photoshop CC 2015.5 update.

I’ve assembled some Q & A around updating to the 2015.5 release of Photoshop CC below. If you don’t see your question answered below, let me know in the comments section and I will try and answer.

Table of contents:

Important information about plug-ins & installation, please read:

VERY IMPORTANT – Photoshop CC 2015.5 is a full version update. As such, you will need to install your 3rd party plug-ins for them to work with CC 2015.5.

If you want to keep CC 2015.1.2 installed until you’ve had time to update/install your 3rd party plug-ins for 2015.5, be sure to click on “Advanced Options” and uncheck “Remove old versions” when installing the update:

AdvancedView

• Note: When you uninstall prior versions, it does not uninstall 3rd party plug-ins installed for prior versions.
  • Note: Depending on what you choose you can always reinstall a prior version or uninstall prior versions at a later time if necessary.

New Features

For comprehensive information on the new features, see the Photoshop CC 2015.5 post by Pam Clark on the Photoshop team blog.

Additional learning and documentation:

Resolved customer reported issues

JDI features

1. Added ability to license Adobe Stock assets directly from the Layers panel
  2. Added support to “Open in Photoshop” from stock.adobe.com
  3. Added ability to filter search for Adobe Stock by content type
  4. Improved badging of licensed Stock assets in CC Libraries
  5. Fonts are once again grouped by font family
  6. Font Similarity now returns results from the Adobe Typekit library
  7. Improved Content-aware Fill (improvement in details, reduction in blur/smudge, improved color adaptation and now on by default)
  8. Reduced the number of abnormally slow start up times
  9. Improved brush performance (fixed things that were consuming time and shouldn’t have been, improved menu update speed that affected fast brush strokes)
  10. Improved type layer optimizations (much faster rasterization/update of type on large documents, much faster font preview creation)
  11. Exporting Artboards to PDF: Improved performance, and added ability to include artboard names and artboard backgrounds
  12. Improved UI contrast values in the default color theme
  13. No longer need to reinstall 3rd-party plugins with updates because of a new centralized Plug-in location (will require updates to third party installers)
  14. Improved detection of buggy video card drivers and crash prevention
  15. Improved responsiveness for pan with two-finger gesture
  16. Changed gesture for undo/redo from two-finger to three-finger to avoid view transform conflicts
  17. Oil Paint filter now works on some older/lower-end GPUs
  18. Added support for OpenGL features over Remote Desktop connections
  19. Added Stratasys 3D printing profiles
  20. Updated OpenEXR file format to support newer variants of the format
  21. Spot channel dialog can get names of colors selected from swatches panel
  22. Name or color value shown in tooltip for recently used colors in swatches palette
  23. Divide Slices command limits increased, performance improved
  24. Document layer count display available in status box and info palette
  25. Ability to add keyboard shortcuts to toggle if brush pressure controls size and opacity
  26. Ability to add keyboard shortcuts to toggle airbrush mode
  27. Help > System Info shows the full file path for Optional and Disabled plugins
  28. Info panel option to always show composite (all layers) values
  29. Greatly reduced chances of metadata loss due to external metadata editing
  30. Improved compatibility with some 3rd party OS X tools for resizing the application frame (use native all side resizing. Windows always used the native resize support)

Do I have to reinstall my 3rd party plug-ins & extension panels after I update to Photoshop CC 2015.5?

Because Photoshop CC 2015.5 is a major version update it will install completely separately from the current version of Photoshop CC (version2015.1.2)  and have a separate plug-ins folder.

The good news is we’ve been working with 3rd party plug-in developers to use a shared Creative Cloud location for plug-ins. This will allow their plug-ins to load in future versions of Photoshop CC (e.g. CC 2016/2017) without having to re-install.

To install 3rd party plug-ins for Photoshop CC 2015.5:

DO:

DO NOT:

• Do not manually drag plug-ins from a previous version of Photoshop’s plug-ins folder to a newer version of Photoshop’s ‘Plug-Ins’ folder

If you encounter unexplained problems or crashes in Photoshop, use the following documents to determine if plug-ins are the problem:

If you have extension panels installed from Adobe Add-Ons, compatible panels will automatically be installed on your system (as long as sync is enabled in the Creative Cloud desktop app).

If you have extension panels installed directly from a developers website, those panels will need to be reinstalled via the installer from the author.

Are my presets and preferences migrated automatically?

Yes, your presets and preferences will automatically be migrated from your prior version that’s installed on your local system.

If you are installing Photoshop CC on a separate, new system, you should export your presets from your existing system and then import them on the new system. See migrate presets or manually export and import presets.

How do I install/reinstall a prior version of Photoshop from Creative Cloud?

How to get the updates

How to confirm that the Update worked:

Give us feedback!

Once you’ve updated to the newest version of Photoshop, don’t forget to leave us feedback about your experiences. The quality of Photoshop wouldn’t be what it is today without our passionate and loyal customers around the world. Giving us regular feedback helps us to find and fix issues that we may otherwise not know about. We are listening.

Here are a few ways that you can provide feedback:

Thanks!

100 Responses to FAQ: Photoshop CC 2015.5 now available

1. from Michael Jahn – michaelejahn@gmail.com – you have permission to use / post my name publically.

What do Photoshops CS6, CC, CC2014, and CC2015 all have in common?

Every one of them broke plug-ins, which have to then be rejiggered and re-released some months later.

In CC2015.5 you definitely have to re-install the plug-ins, but whether they will work properly we still do not know.

Questions – this is 2016, why is it called 2015 ? And why can’t the Photoshop dev team stop crushing the souls of the plug-in community ?

2. You changed the App’s icon (~/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5). It now looks like a software install package folder. Or is that an installation error?

3. Andy Harrison says:

absolute no sensical you not do offline installers who the hell has access to internet on every machine and time to download each time :
    see below the problems
    Users who want to maintain secure backup copies of the offline CC installers should they ever be without strong connectivity (traveling, at a client site, remote locations, etc.) and need to quickly [re]install their products.
    Folks who’d like to download the CC software using one computer with a high-speed network, but install it on other, different machine(s) without redownloading. Creative Cloud for Teams customers have access to the CC Packager, but Individuals (the vast majority of users) do not. Many customers do not keep their work computers online.
    People who have slow/limited or unreliable connections to the Internet. These users are often in less-developed countries and benefit from the free disc media offered by Adobe containing the Creative Cloud installers. Will these DVDs still be possible and available?
    Of course, there are many locations and premises which disallow usage of the CC Desktop App entirely and/or bar all connection to the Internet.
    If installer direct links are not available, then there would be no ability for a customer to roll back or roll forward a single version of the application, unless that capability is built into the software itself (which thus far hasn’t happened). Consequently there would be no way to revert or back out a troublesome product update, which does happen from time to time. Throwing away our insurance policy?
    Likewise, there would be no way to install an application to a previous version that isn’t the latest release. This is desirable, for example, when working in Premiere Pro where it is not recommended to upgrade in the middle of a large project. If you want to set up a second machine to work on the same .prproj file, then you want the exact same version of the tool as what you already have, not necessarily the latest version. The reality in fast-changing software is that not everyone wants to be (or should be) on the bleeding edge.
    Finally, just basic covering our bases and having a viable workaround in place for when it’s necessary or helpful. Software is built by humans, and both are imperfect. Try as we may, there are always going to be cases where the CC Desktop doesn’t work out for some customers (due to bugs, network or configuration issues, etc.), and having a fail-safe backup solution is simply best practices.

4. Will Tullis says:

select and mask does not work

5. Teodorico Morell says:

There are some really nice features, but there are still some important bugs present:
    – Issues with liquify tool: https://community.amd.com/message/2731165#comment-2731165
    – Cyan casting on gray areas. This goes away if Performance > Drawing Mode is set to Basic, but there goes CPU acceleration.
    Any ETA for these issues to be solved?
    Thank!

6. Wick Smith says:

I did drag and drop plugins from the earlier version and all seems to be well. Why would that be a problem?

• It works in most cases. In some cases, if you’re not careful to copy all the required files or the plug-in relies on registry information to be updated, the plug-ins might not work. It’s best to try and use an updated installer to make sure all the required files are installed at the right location. Also, you’ll want to use the updated plug-ins that use the new shared CC plug-in location (so the plug-ins automatically load when a new version is released) and the plug-ins are updated with the Plug-In SDK versioning changes we rolled out for 3rd party developers. Without those updates/changes, you may need to install again and/or you may be loading duplicate/older plug-ins in the future.

7. Dave says:

Just updated and immediately AVG is giving security warnings about identity problems. Has any one else had this problem?

8. Steve says:

1st of all, the installer should have brought the plugins into the new version.
    2nd, it should have at least warned you that it was going to make them inaccessible.
    3rd of all this document should not be telling people to “install” their plugins, and don’t you mean re-install them? You do realize that what’;s involved there is hunting down the installation files, if you can find them, searching through your email for license numbers etc., yes?
    4th of all, what finally did the trick for me after a lot of wasted time re-installing things was to listen to some smart folks who know the workarounds, delete my partially rebuilt plugins folder and copy over the old one from the previous PS version. Sheesh.
    5th, Adobe really ought to concern itself more with its paying customers’ time and trouble.

• Copying the plug-ins works in most cases. In some cases, if you’re not careful to copy all the required files or the plug-in relies on registry information to be updated, the plug-ins might not work. That said, it’s best to try and use an updated installer to make sure all the required files are installed at the right location. Also, you’ll want to use the updated plug-ins that use the new shared CC plug-in location (so the plug-ins automatically load when a new version is released) and the plug-ins are updated with the Plug-In SDK versioning changes we rolled out for 3rd party developers. Without those updates/changes, you may need to install again and/or you may be loading duplicate/older plug-ins in the future.

9. Ian Carpenter says:

I’ve just downloaded the latest version and have noticed a definite slow-down in my operating speed. For example, it takes forever to save a psd file and twice as long to convert one to a smart object. I’ve noticed this over the past few upgrades. I’m just a hobbyist and do not know much about what goes on under the bonnet, so to speak. I don’t want to have to keep tweaking this, that and everything to get a decent performance. I have an i7 processor,16gb RAM, 3TB HDD and W10 which isn’t too bad. What have others experienced?

10. Cry More says:

cry baby above ^

11. Stan Burman says:

Some photographers have been reporting that they were able to successfully copy-and-paste plug-ins from the Plug-ins folder of a previous version of Photoshop CC 2015 to the same folder in Photoshop CC 2015.5. Are there any problems that may result from trying that approach and then doing a full reinstall for any that did not copy-and-paste successfully?

12. Tuan Hijaz says:

I am using Photoshop CC 2015 and I donot have Internet. I wanna Update 2015.5 Version. I did Offline Update Download and run it. I request to you to give Offline Update..

13. Kelvin says:

A: The Cloud didn’t/doesn’t ask if you want to keep your old version (like your picture above), it just installed the new one and removed the old one with no dialog,

B: That sucks, because…

C: Now I got no plugins in the new version, or the old version with the plugins I USE DAILY.

YOU guys really need to check this stuff before you put it out there. And this was one a MAC… which is usually a flawless process, but your insistence on including the Auto-Uninstall, made even the MAC advantage useless. Maybe it worked right on your computers, but it didn’t on mine. PITA. Why offer the auto uninstall of the old version at all? We can do it manually. Then it’s on us. At the very least it buys us time to re-install plugins. It’s not as convenient a feature as you might think. Come to think of it, that dialog didn’t show up on my Windows computer either. Great job on the new product, but You stink on the install !

• A: are you sure? I’ve installed CC 2015.5 on 3 systems and worked exactly like the screenshots. Is it possible you missed it?

We do test and check these things, and as noted in my post, we have been working with Plug-In Devs to update their plug-ins to make the upgrade/migration work more smoothly.

• Jason says:

A: it doesn’t say anywhere in this article that the installer is going to “ask” you if you want to keep the old version.

The author wrote, and I quote:
      “If you want to keep CC 2015.1.2 installed until you’ve had time to update/install your 3rd party plug-ins for 2015.5, be sure to click on “Advanced Options” and uncheck “Remove old versions” when installing the update.”

Maybe YOU should read more carefully and then double check that you’re doing the install correctly before you pull the trigger on a major update. The fact you didn’t and then tried to blame Adobe makes points B and C irrelevant…had you taken the time to ensure you understood the clearly written out process to update but still keep the previous version, you’d still have usable plugins to use while waiting for the plugin developers to update their installers.
      Chalk it up to User Error and triple check the info next time.

14. Louisa Hancock says:

I have just upgraded my PSCC an LRCC to 2015.5 version, I had to reload my Nik and Topaz software, there doesn’t seem to be any problems with Topaz but with Nik I downloaded the most up to date version and it has installed and opened but I don’t have all the features that are usually found in this software. In the Silver Effex which I use often in the Global Adjustments it doesn’t have any sliders for the Whites or Blacks anymore and the other sections don’t have all the features either. Can someone help me with this problem?
    Regards Louisa

15. Victoria Meyers says:

How large is this new update?

16. matt says:

Is the new release compatible with OS 10.10.5?

17. Alan Butterfield says:

Hi,
    I’ve updated my desktop machine to PS CC (2015.5) and got all my plugins working OK. So I’ll uninstall PS CC 2015 once everything appears to be OK.
    Now I’m trying to do the same on my laptop and keep coming up against the dreaded ‘Installation Failed / Retry. I’ve retried 3 times with the same result. The additional information given is –
    Exit Code: 146
    ————————————– Summary ————————————–
    – 2 fatal error(s), 0 error(s), 1 warnings(s)

FATAL: Error (Code = 146) executing in command ‘MoveDirectoryCommand’ for package: ‘AdobePhotoshop17-Core_x64’, version:17.0.0.88
    FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobePhotoshop17-Core_x64 Version: 17.0.0.88). Error code: ‘146’
    WARN: Failed to move directory ‘C:\adobeTemp\ETRDF4C.tmp\1\Application’ to ‘C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5’
    ————————————————————————————-
    So . . which file do I rename ?
    Where do I find it ?
    What do I rename it to ?
    Thanks for your help.
    Alan

18. Alan Butterfield says:

Hi Jeffery,
    Sorry to be a nuisance, but can you please disregard my question above. I shut the laptop down, restarted it, tried the upgrade to PS CC (2015.5) again . . . and it worked perfectly.
    Thanks.
    Alan

19. Ann Shelbourne says:

I am getting a “123” error when I try to install the new Updates on a MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013) running Mac OSX 10.10.5.
    Adobe Tech Support tells me that I need to install El Capitan.
    Is that true because I would much prefer to continue to use Yosemite 10.10.5

20. Jack Sabato says:

Hello I need to reinstall Photoshop 2015.5 to get the older version of Photoshop 2015 because a program that i use needs that version to run correctly.

I do not know how to install the older version. Please help

Thanks

Best, Jack Sabato

21. Kenny Powell says:

OUTPUT module is missing in Bridge CC 2015.5.
    How can I install it

22. Charles Waugh says:

Why does PS NOT follow the windows convention for interface colors?
    It is darn near impossible to tell which is the ACTIVE window if I have a bunch open.

Sigh… the interface is way too cool-lookin’ to be of daily use – it’s yet another triumph of ‘design’ over function.

My hip-designer friend says everything is supposed to be FLAT these days – well, it’s flat all right, kinda like trying to find a piece of white paper on a white desk in the gloaming light of dusk.

23. Iris Fox says:

I’m having issues with Photoshop running sloooooooow on El Capitan. There is a plug-in I installed for version 2015 1.2 that reslolved this, and I copied it over to the plug ins folder for 2015.5, but it doesn’t seem to be helping.

24. Joseph Muench says:

I installed 2015.5 not realizing that I would be starting out without all of my plug-ins. I do not have time at present to re-install them. I noticed that the plug-in folder and plug-in files from the previous version still exists, just not the previous version PS files. If I re-install the previous version (where the plug-in folder resides), e.g. 2015.1.2, will that work for the time being (i.e. will the plug-ins work right away with the newly installed previous version)? Or will I lose my previous version plug-in folder in the re-install process?
    Also, now that I have installed 2015.5 without unchecking the “Remove old versions” box (I wish I had known about that option!), have I lost the actions that I wrote under the previous version or should they push forward to 2015.5?

25. Asad Qureshi says:

the oilpaint filer used to work in Photoshop cs6 but it doesnt work anymore in CC 2015 and 2015.5…..!!!
    whats the use of upgrading if u start dropping good stuff from it…..

still the official site says there are many unsupported GPUs which doesnt work with few features like Oilpaint filter and 3d. This wasnt any problem with CS6…..

im disappointed guys… 🙁

26. Erich Wester says:

Photoshop CC 2015.5 will not start on my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10. Have uninstalled and re-installed 3 times with no success. I have a valid software subscription. Lightroom works fine. I have not installed Bridge.

27. Miad says:

i am getting a 117 error when ı tray to install .
    Adobe Tech Support tells me that I need to install El Capitan. help me

28. Judith says:

On my Mac I installed Photoshop CC 2015.5.
    My layers do not show previews/thumbnails but an brush icon.
    What can I do to see the previews in the layers?

Thanks,

Judith

29. Pam Greer says:

I know I should not have installed the latest update!! It crashes constantly. I barely get through editing one photo before it crashes and bounces me back to Lightroom. I’ve submitted the reports on the crash where it says to submit reports. I tried letting it create a new preference file and that didn’t work. I guess I’ll try to go back to a previous version! Running on a Mac with the latest upgrade. So frustrated!

30. bill says:

You should never ‘update’ to new versions of Photoshop until at least a month or two after the release and all the bugs have been ironed out.

31. Peter Quin says:

PS CC 2015 > PS CC 2015.5
    Having just unwittingly upgraded from one functional version of PS to what appears to be a lessor offering , where we have lost our ‘measurement scale.psp’ file and with it our ability to measure seen material. A file that was formally found for version PS CC 2015 in the following directory structure: C:\Users\imaging\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings.
    However with the unannounced and sudden emergence of PC CC 2015.5 out of the cloud, we have searched for the location of *.psp files and an associated path which appears is lost to us.
    As a public science education based institution we are engaged in critical mission production work to deadline and operating at an industrial level where Adobe PS plays only one part of our overall digital workflow, yet without it in full operation, all has come to a grinding halt. Therefore having soured the blogs we would appreciate insight into where the new location of the measurement scale.psp file that informs the Image/Analysis//set measurement scale/ and /place scale marker now resides. This has been painstakingly crafted for analysis purposes and critical to our operation. Time is of the essence and we cannot afford the time to beta testing software new ambiguous structural configuration in a live production context. We now look forward a response and simple solution to this vexed issue. Oh and needless to say we are very interested in exploring the possibility of securing an Adobe off-line exemption licence for CC5, so as to ensure on-going product stability. Your support is appreciated.

• Is it not located here? C:\Users\imaging\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 Settings

• Peter Quin says:

Greetings Jeffery, thanks for the prompt reply, to repeat the above: We do not have a corresponding path similar to the C:\Users\imaging\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings\ that would or should contain the ‘Measurement Scale.psp’ file as there is no directory nor path for C:\Users\imaging\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 setting\ . As this issue has effectively crippled our workflow, please advise at your soonest convenience. So as to save time and not go around in circles perhaps you could email ourselves directly. Cheers
        Peter

32. Dennis Brown says:

Photoshop CC 2015.5 is an absolute abomination. When I installed it I forgot to save the previous version. Is there any way I can retrieve the previous version.

33. Kim says:

The color in PS does not match Windows Viewer – pictures print with a cyan cast – look washed out.
    I can’t click on the move tool and drag something – bounces to the bottom layer and moves the entire image.
    What are the fixes for these problems? I offer digital downloads to customers and I can’t do that knowing their pictures will look horrible when they print.

34. Farid Kerba says:

please inform the guys of the high need for the offline installers of all adobe suite..

35. GaryMak says:

RE: REFINE EDGE TOOL
    Hi!
    After using 2015.5 for months now since it came out, my biggest gripe is the now over-complicated “REFINE EDGE” tool that has disappeared and become “select and mask.” Adobe has taken a very very useful tool, gotten rid of it, an replaced it with something that does not, in fact, do the same thing, and is very complicated to use. Could you please use your column and influence to tell Adobe that “improvements” mean something is “made better” not “something useful is replaced by something less useful and more complicated.” Return the old “REFINE EDGE” tool. It worked great! Thanks!

36. Harriet says:

I just uploaded CC 2015.5, and thought i would be great…..but i can’t do anything
    When i try to open 2 fils at once it cashes
    When i try to add type it crashes
    These seem like really simple things but they are now making my job impossible, is there anyway to fix this? or is it a bug with photoshop

37. Andrew says:

Why is it so hard for Adobe to listen to its customers…. There are so many people wanting OUTPUT module left in bridge, why must you make us constantly manually install it!!
    So very frustrating Adobe

38. Sabra Floyd says:

Hi,
    I use a Win10 PC and recently updated my PS CC to 2015.5. I truly love it! I use a custom workspace and have reset a few shortcuts that work better with my brain 🙂 I’ve also started using a borrowed Ugee 1910b digital tablet (yuck!) bc my bamboo was broken. However, I recently noticed something strange going on (sorry…not sure about the timeline). Now when I add an adjustment layer to anything, it automatically “clips” itself to the layer. To save time, I’ve simply “unclipped” it and gone on with my work. But now I’ve noticed that several of my purchased actions are stopping at “The command ‘Create Clipping Mask’ is not available at this time.” I’ve gone back to the default Essentials workspace and reset all my shortcuts, menus and tools to the defaults, but nothing has changed with that crazy old clipping mask! When I stop the action and look in the action folder to see if there is a shortcut missing or whatever for the “create clipping mask” I’ve noticed it has actually clipped itself like it would if I had added it manually?! Weird….

The creator of the actions says it’s something with PS or something I’ve changed but I can’t figure it out! Please help before I have no hair left at all!

Thanks!

39. Alys Briggs says:

I upgraded to PS CC 2015.5 on a Mac, OSX 10.11.5 recently. I print on Epson 3880, either using paper manufacturers’ ICC profiles, or my own custom profiles created by ColorMunki. I use a Cintiq 22, which is calibrated also using ColorMunki. I have several years experience printing for a gallery, so feel confident in my technical skills printing with PS. So, imagine my surprise when my prints started looking horrible with 2015.5. I did some internet sleuthing and discovered numerous other people have reported similar issues. I have been able to print using colorsync and then loading my profiles, but the results are still unsatisfactory compared to PS 2015/2015.1. So, it think a further debugging is required.

40. Michael Hutton says:

In the latest version of Photoshop (CC 2015.5), scrubby zoom seems to be greyed out. I’ve checked numerous forums, and they all tell me it’s an issue with my graphics card, but I suspect that there was something available in a previous version of Photoshop CC that I’m no longer able to get to now.

41. Jim Fleckenstein says:

Photoshop used to have many more brush textures available to select in the dropdown, that I do not see them in CC 2015.5 (ie. Cloud Texture. Is there a way to get those back or are they available somewhere else?

42. Usha says:

Hi,

Can i know if it supports Canon 1dx mark ii raw files?

43. Jennifer Galloway says:

Photoshop updated to the newest version and I lost everything. My actions, portraiture, several things I invested much of my money into. How can I get them back??

44. Bob Klavano says:

I had a new hard drive installed on my computer. How do I now reinstall Photoshop CC 2015.5?

45. Albert (Al) Whetton says:

Hi I was Given a download of Photoshop CC2015 for Christmas I did not know that I only had 72 hours to down load it. I didn’t get it done. NOW I CAN’T GET IT SO WHAT THE HELL DO I DO.
    I called a number they just jacked me around, plus they can’t even talk good plan English.