It has been a few weeks since the announcements about Flex and Flash became public and during this time we have received a number of inquiries on what this means for the Creative Suite SDK and Creative Suite extensibility (the Flex team has posted this FAQ) overall. With this post, I would like to explain our thoughts and commitments to the extension developer community.
- Flex development remains absolutely critical for a significant number of use cases especially around enterprise application development. There is are a significant number of developers using Flex to develop extensions for the Creative Suite (as well as other apps) and we are committed to continue supporting them.
- As an organization we have made a significant investment to support Flex development in the Creative Suite. We believe that we have a top class development environment (CS Extension Builder and the CS SDK) that provides significant developer productivity features, makes extension development simple and easier to use, and is low cost and efficient. We expect this approach to continue for at least the next few years.
- We do not believe there is currently a compelling alternative to ActionScript extensibility or a need to move away from Flex. Despite the enthusiasm around HTML5 and the potential it has, there are significant challenges both around the runtime and the development environment. This is not to say that those will not be addressed, but we strongly believe that we are a few years away from that.
Based on the above, I would like to state that:
- The Creative Suite SDK and CS Extension Builder will continue to be developed and enhanced with new features and support for Creative Suite applications.
- We will make CS Extension Builder available through the Adobe Store at a compelling price point. We want the tool to become broadly available, so that every Creative Suite developer can enjoy its benefits
- We will continue our investigation on new technologies (e.g. HTML5) for extension development and occasionally share our findings with the developer community. We want to be transparent with the community and keep you involved in our planning.
We are firm believers that the CS extensibility story will continue to evolve as it has been doing for several years. Our ongoing goal is to make this story compelling for you by providing best of class development and distribution tools and help you reach as many customers as possible. Ultimately, your success is our success!
Hope this addresses the concerns some of you have recently expressed. Your comments are welcome as always.