Using Encore CS6 with PremierePro CC

by David Helmly

Created

May 15, 2013

En CS6 & PR cc splash
Installing Encore CS6 for use with Premiere Pro CC

1. Install Premiere Pro CS6 from Creative Cloud (requires cloud account or serial number to use Encore CS6 – no trial mode due to licensing fees for DVD & Bluray)

1. Install from Creative Cloud

2. Mac Users: From the Adobe Premiere Pro folder , Unistall Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.

Win Users: Use the Control Panel >Programs >Programs and Features

2. Unistalling Premiere

3. Uncheck Encore to keep it installed (just Premiere Pro CS6 will be uninstalled)

3. Uncheck Encore to keep it

5. Apply Update via help Menu

5. Update via Help menu

6. Apply Premiere Pro Family Update (this will update Encore)

6. Apply Update

7. Add Encore Functional Content (extra templates & menus) using this link:

7. Adding Encore Functional Content

Here’s a workflow video for using Encore CS6 & Premiere Pro CC

COMMENTS

• By Dave - 8:53 PM on July 26, 2013

According to this I need to install Prem Pro CS6 together with my Prem Pro CC installation – to get the Encore app loaded.

Once loaded – I go and un-install the Prem Pro CS6 – leaving the Encore CS6 installed.

I have third party plugins installed in my Prem Pro CC, will they be affected by installing a second variant of the same thing – and then un-installing it?

Wonder if some bright spark at Adobe might put 2 & 2 together and bring Encore into the cloud to join its brother apps, or is that too logical?

• By David Helmly - 9:45 PM on July 26, 2013

Dave,

I agree 100% having to Install and uninstall is a royal pain and I have made a request for a single En installer. It’s not a quick process as we have multiple languages and OSes and all those need to be re-tested.

As for your plug-ins, those will not be effected because the install path for CS6 and CC are different. You’l see a folder called Common and inside that folder you will see a folder called Plugins and then 7.0.

Hope this helps.

• By Dave - 9:23 AM on July 27, 2013

Clarified beautifully thank you.
    Thanks too on the note re requesting a single En installer – will help those not technically proficient and those who hate duplicity on their OS hdd.

Thanks for note re my plugins too.

Your explanation video is about the best I’ve seen in terms of professional presentation, audio – and many many tips, well done and thanks.

• By Eric - 1:41 AM on July 30, 2013

After un-installing ppcs6 and clicking on updates in Encore5.5 it finds no new updates. What am I missing here? Is it possibly step #4?

• By David Helmly - 2:04 AM on July 30, 2013

You should have Encore CS6 not 5.5 . Yes there was a CS6 update. It will show up as Premiere Pro CS6. It’s part of what we call the family installer. Yes, it’s confusing…

• By Eric - 6:52 AM on July 30, 2013

Ok I uninstalled ppcs6 and installed ppcc then opened up encore cs6 (which I didn’t even know was installed) and ran updates but it found no updates and I can’t import my cs6 timelines into encore cs6. What am I missing?

• By Eric - 5:40 PM on July 30, 2013

I uninstalled Encore CS6 & PPCC to start all over (I’m moving from CS5.5) & reinstalled PPCS6 to see if I could use it with Encore CS6. Once reinstalled it seems I don’t have Encore CS6 anymore. Do I need to reinstall PPCC to get it back? Can I not use PPCS6 with Encore CS6, I have to install PPCC?

• By Eric - 7:45 PM on July 30, 2013

After watching the video link you provided I can see now that I probably did everything right and that I might have assumed that it wasn’t working because I was still trying to use the old 5.5 workflow. Once PPCC finishes installing (again) I’ll delete PPCS6 (leaving Encore unchecked) and try again.

• By Eric - 6:41 PM on July 31, 2013

Ok I now can use encore6 with pp6 just fine. Turns out I was opening the wrong project file that was an old pp5.5 project that looked like a version 6 project because the icon had updated to the version 6 icon. The only strange thing I’m seeing now is that encore is not listed in my programs anywhere (even in the adobe program folder). Even when going to control panel under programs it’s not there YET when I click on the shortcut pinned in the taskbar it opens up encore and runs fine. I even authored a couple pp6 projects using it. A strange thing is that it no longer displays the adobe thumbnail icon. It’s the white page default icon that you see when the computer doesn’t know what program to use to open it. Is this because I have both ppcc and ppcs6 installed at the same time? If I uninstall ppcs6 (leaving encore unchecked) will encore6 be listed under programs and display the correct thumbnail icon?

• By David Helmly - 11:05 PM on July 31, 2013

Eric – thanks for the update and glad things are working.

I’ve seen the icon behavior before and it’s a windows thing where it looses track of the ico (icon file) . After a few cold boots the icons usually return. It has to do with changes in the registry .

• By Rob Richman - 1:33 AM on August 3, 2013

Question, does ‘adobe dynamic link’ still work with premiere pro CC and Adobe encore CS6? I actually use dynamic link a lot now to save time. I open in files in premiere pro, and then dynamic link it to open the encore program to author the disc…. no need to ‘render’ it first then open in encore. ?? thanks.. great videos!

• By David Helmly - 1:59 AM on August 3, 2013

Rob,

we pulled Encore DynLink out of Premiere CC. Premiere CC and After Effects CC have a newer faster version of DL. We are optimizing DL for faster response in each major release. In order for DL to work, all supported apps have to run the same version of the DL code. DL only supported sending 1 sequence to Encore and for me it was quite limiting. I use a lot of sequences in my projects to create playlists and larger interactive media experiences for Blueray. I always ended up reverting to the older manual method described here of exporting then importing the sequence. I do agree that for many people, sending 1 sequence worked perfectly fine. I hope this video helps those people get around it for now.

• By Deryck Lewis - 11:58 AM on August 3, 2013

‘DL only supported sending I sequence to Encore and for me it was quite limiting.’ And not having Encore at all isn’t limiting, is it?

• By David Helmly - 2:35 PM on August 3, 2013

Deryck,

In case you missed it, you can install Encore by installing Premiere Pro CS6. Creative Cloud gives you access to older versions. Once Premiere Pro is installed, you can uninstall it using the uninstaller app in the Premiere Pro Folder and uncheck Encore Cs6 and it will leave Encore installed. I agree is this odd way to get it installed. I am requesting to engineering that we get a separate installer for Encore . It’s not a trivial case as we have multiple languages and OSes that would need to be tested. Make sure to refer to the blog article here for more info: http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2013/06/installing-premiere-cc-encore-cs6.html

Hope this helps.

• By Steve Puffenberger - 4:27 AM on August 15, 2013

Hi, Dave…from CS5 beta days.
    So. I have Premier CC installed and no EN! What a fool to upgrade. So I have my CS6 disk – can I just install EN-CS6 from there? But now I see you’re saying no DL? How soon before EN-CC???