Adobe Systems Incorporated

Adobe Installation and Licensing

Blog to post all Installer and Licensing related info to users of Adobe products

May 21, 2010

Growl Installation with Adobe CS5

Yashodhan is a product manager for the Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) efforts here at Adobe.
Hi Everyone,
Adobe CS5 is installing the Growl Pref Pane when you install any CS5 Suite or Point Product. We added Growl notifications to remind users to claim their complimentary benefits for registering their product and to update their Adobe.com profiles. Complimentary benefits include things like “30 days of lynda.com online video training”, “PhotoTools 2.5 plug-in”, etc. To see a list of all registration benefits please go to http://registrationbenefits.adobe.com/benefits/
We realize that this is causing a lot of consternation with both CS5 and Growl users. We should have been more transparent and made Growl an optional install. We made a mistake and are actively working to mitigate the problem. Adobe is engaging the Growl team and will keep them updated on any changes that might impact them in the future. Our engineering team is reviewing options and will be addressing some of your concerns in upcoming updates.
In the mean time, please follow the link @ http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/840/cpsid_84093.html to get more details on how to remove Growl or disable these notifications. Disabling notifications or removing Growl has no impact on how CS5 applications work.
For enterprise IT administrators who do not wish to have Growl installed, we are making changes to the Enterprise Toolkit to disable Growl. The Enterprise Toolkit is being rebranded as the Adobe Application Manager Enterprise Edition (AAMEE) for CS5. AAMEE for CS5 will be available as a free download in early June. More information about the AAMEE tool can be found at http://www.adobe.com/devnet/creativesuite/enterprisedeployment.html
Checking the “Disable product registration reminders” checkbox in AAMEE will turn off notification and the Growl Preference Pane will not be installed on the user’s machine in that case.
Sincerely,
Yashodhan Gokhale
Senior Product Manager | CS Live

Uncategorized

Comments

• By Ölbaum - 8:39 AM on May 22, 2010

It sure is nice communicating over it.

• By Ian Lyons - 9:09 AM on May 22, 2010

You were warned that this would be the reaction, but you chose not to listen. Not everyone needs or wants this stuff on their computers, especially so in enterprise and corporate environments. That is, for both Growl and CS Live.

• By jani - 12:45 AM on May 29, 2010

i was wondering how that f* growl got to my machine…

• By Oliver - 5:11 AM on June 20, 2010

I came across this page after googling how I eneded up with Growl on a brand new installation and just PS CS5 and LR installed.
    Adobe – I’m so angry with this, you are really pi$$ing me off now. I’ve been a long time user and supporter since PS5, but now I can’t take it anymore. Was about to upgrade to LR3 and decided I’ll give Aperture a go. Steve Jobs must be right…

• By dirtypirate - 7:40 PM on June 20, 2010

Yep this annoyed me, and would have annoyed me even more if I had actually paid for CS5.

• By Annoyed customer - 9:40 AM on June 23, 2010

If you really want to mitigate the problem, send me new installation media without growl being included in the installer.
    This is total bs. NEVER NEVER NEVER INSTALL THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE!!! IF YOU WANT TO INCLUDE THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, DISCLOSE IT CLEARLY IN THE INSTALLER AND GIVE THE USER THE OPTION TO NOT INSTALL IT.

• By theo - 10:29 PM on July 3, 2010

I concur. Maybe this is a useful app. But my first reaction is WTF is something I didn’t authorize in my preference panes, and is it some kind of spyware.

Whose idea was this? Fire them.

• By angry with the 3rd party installing - 8:16 PM on August 29, 2010

I definitely agree with the “fire them”! I almost thought Growl was some kind of spyware crap which left me panicking about the safety of my Mac. That is, until I visited the Growl website in which even they were pissed about this, too.

Good job, Adobe.

Not.

• By Pelon - 5:52 PM on July 4, 2010

They are apologizing, admitting it was a mistake, and working on a solution. That is more than enough for a customer to be happy about a problem.

Adobe’s CS are the best products out there, thank you for the hard work you put in guys.

@Oliver
    Steve jobs can go suck it, he has the guts to dismiss his customers publicly about flaws with his products. You go to aperture and be amazed at how little you can do compared to the powerful tool Ps is.

• By Charles - 8:52 PM on July 20, 2010

Pelon, what department do you work for at Adobe?

• By sambo - 11:38 AM on August 17, 2010

They apologized? I missed that. I thought they just explained that they did it and got caught doing it. I sure missed the apology. I read through it again and cannot find the word “sorry” anywhere.

• By NelC - 8:28 AM on September 24, 2010

First, this is rather weak to be called an apology. Second, an apology isn’t meant to make people “happy”; if you think that’s what apologies are for, then you haven’t been living among humans for long enough.

Lastly, I have to join in the chorus of “What were you thinking, Adobe?” Whoever thought this up needs a dose of internal disciplinary procedure and to be sent on a course of programmer arrogance limiting.

I think Growl is kind of cool, I might have installed it myself, but you know, I like to know about stuff being installed on my machine, not have it sneaked in “for my own good” or whatever was going through your minds. I might just take it off again, depending how annoyed I’ll let myself get.

• By Darren - 4:26 AM on July 10, 2010

Hey Adobe…focus more on making software that does not crash, not finding ways to upsell side services via a reminder service

• By Mary Beth Frezon - 4:31 AM on July 10, 2010

That is freaking ridiculous. All of the sudden a mysterious popup telling me I have updates to do from something I’ve never heard of. Gone. Never ever cause people worry about something being installed in their machines like that.

• By Shirley - 6:01 AM on July 14, 2010

Pretty outrageous in my book. I suddenly get this popup telling me to update Growl, something I know nothing about and never installed. I thought that some kind of virus had been installed. If I hadn’t googled Growl and found their explanation of how two companies, one of them Adobe, automatically installed Growl without giving me the option not to install it, I would have freaked out on finding it in my system preferences. Glad Adobe apologized, but not at all happy about this messing with my system.

• By Stephan Nicholas Reimers-Dahl - 5:53 AM on July 10, 2010

I was surprised (and more) to see the Growl update notification on my screen. This is not an expected event from a large company like Adobe, and they admit it right away 🙂

Thanks Adobe for expressing communication, but think in this situation it would be of more consequence and value if it was done more direct. The update notification appears directly in the users screen/face.

This situation is from my view, an outlier (ie. havn’t seen this from any larger software companies before) calling for a more direct communication.

But otherwise I agree with Pelon.

• By BM - 3:22 AM on July 11, 2010

Are you kidding me… I was a bit concerned when I realized growl was installed, visited their site to discover that CS5 was a culprit for installing it and figured that’s where it came from. However, when I go to the growl preferences, I see applications like Skype, Firefox, StuffIt, Adium, etc… are all utilizing it and I “never” approved installation for any of those applications. I highly doubt that Adobe and CS5 is the cause for the installation given “all” of these applications were installed prior to CS5. I don’t see people ranting and raving over these culprits…

• By tooki - 8:43 PM on July 11, 2010

@BM: Bearing in mind that I do not in the slightest condone Adobe installing Growl without permission: Those apps didn’t install Growl. Growl just detected that those are Growl-capable apps. You can install a Growl-capable app without installing Growl, and that’s exactly what countless apps do — they work with Growl IF IT’S INSTALLED. If it’s not installed, they ignore it. If you later add Growl, it figures it out. No malice or magic.

• By Charles Gutjahr - 11:10 PM on July 11, 2010

People shouldn’t rant and rave about Skype, Firefox, StuffIt and Adium because those apps do not install Growl. Skype etc only use Growl if it is available. Adobe CS5 installed Growl without asking for permission, that’s where Adobe broke the rules. In doing so, Adobe triggered the connection to all these other apps.

• By meekish - 11:24 PM on July 11, 2010

@BM: The reason that people aren’t “ranting and raving” over those “culprits” is because their presence in Growl’s preference pane simply means that they support Growl notifications; a far cry from installing Growl behind a user’s back.

And though Growl doesn’t require user approval for each app that would like to send notifications (thankfully), I can only gather by your use of quotations in the statement “…and I ‘never’ approved…” that you did approve, if only a little?

• By Jeremy K - 12:04 AM on July 12, 2010

@BM – Those other apps will use Growl if it is installed, but none of them actively install Growl themselves. Once Adobe installs Growl without permission, it is there for the other applications to use as well. They don’t know that Growl was installed surreptitiously, only that it is installed.

• By GFX - 10:04 PM on July 12, 2010

I’ve actively avoided installing Growl for many years and was beyond pissed to find out that CS5 installed this hack for me without asking.

A note to Adobe: DO NOT EVER install something on my machine without my permission.

I feel violated.

• By steve - 10:27 PM on July 12, 2010

whats this? an update is available for something i didn’t install?

this is very poor form, adobe.

you can “mitigate” this mistake by posting an uninstaller that removes what we never wanted as effortlessly as it went in. i paid a LOT of money to get photoshop, and i resent being told i must go here, read that, do this, etc etc to get free of your error.

• By Jeff B - 5:14 AM on July 13, 2010

Good. Friggin. Lord. You have actual employees who believe that installing something which will pop up randomly and without any indication of where it came from is a good idea? Just what kind of moronic subhumans do you have working there? Get this thing the hell off my machine. I’m trapped using photoshop, but the anti-flash army just got a new recruit.

• By Alan - 1:18 PM on July 13, 2010

What a crock of crap! You should know better than to force yourself on your users in such a manner. Shame on every damn one of you!

• By Jo Ann Snover - 6:08 PM on July 13, 2010

I found this article after doing a Google search on Growl to find out what the heck it was and how it got on my Mac.

It is now disabled, but you should never, ever install something on my system behind my back. It is completely unprofessional behavior. If it’s mandatory to have this for some feature to work then it must be disclosed at a minimum.

It wasn’t some awful spyware, but imagine how I felt seeing some popup come up asking me about updating something with a picture of an animal paw with claws? I’m very careful about keeping my system clean and though I’d messed up somehow.

You need to send out e-mail to every registered user of CS5 products and do it now. You’ve known about this for ages (I just did my install of CS5 a couple of weeks ago) and you haven’t changed anything about the install. You haven’t sent out e-mail that I’m aware of – I get all the marketing junk, so perhaps it was buried in there and I didn’t read it.

You need to take this breach of expected behavior seriously – “we should have been more transparent” isn’t cutting it. Not to mention I haven’t been notified of any registration benefit – I thought there weren’t any with this release – so even the supposed reason for installing this don’t hold water.

• By Nathan - 6:29 PM on July 13, 2010

This is beyond horrible.

Bad Abode.

• By Trevor Koop - 1:14 AM on July 14, 2010

I am not happy about the automatic growl installation. I would be one thing if it were an Adobe product bundled with CS5 and I had the option not to install it, but this is a product by a third-party and I don’t have the option.

I don’t feel “violated,” but I hope you don’t do this again.

• By Dan - 3:45 AM on July 14, 2010

Unbelievable. After installing the demo version of Dreamweaver, I found “Growl” installed on my computer. This is a third party piece!! COMPLETELY OUT OF LINE!! I have uninstalled Dreamweaver and will avoid Adobe products. Perhaps Steve is right?

• By Morris Taub - 3:35 PM on July 14, 2010

Feel the same as Jo Ann Snover, would echo all of her remarks…the bear claw freaked me when I first saw it…I thought my computer was being attacked by some malicious virus or something…thanks for the ‘sensations’ Adobe…jeez…

• By Martin Williams - 9:29 AM on July 15, 2010

It’s incredibly annoying having to research what the hell this growl thing is.

I’ve read these comments and other threads on the net. People are saying growl takes up loads of memory and irritatingly tells you what you already know.

Is it any use on a mac, or should I get rid of it?

Thank you adobe for wasting my time researching that this worrying unsolicited pop up is actually all down to you and CS5.

• By gspain - 4:52 PM on July 15, 2010

This was a very bad idea on your part. What else are you installing that you’re not telling us about?

• By Marc - 8:05 PM on July 15, 2010

Well, that explains it. Unlike a lot of the people here, I know what Growl is and use it on some of my systems.

But when my laptop started giving me Growl notifications from capable apps, I wondered how it got on there, since I was pretty sure I’d never installed it. Now I find out that CS5 slipped it in there without any notification whatsoever. Something I never would have known if I hadn’t run across a link to this post on a news site, which is not the way I’d like to be notified about such things.

What’s really insulting about this, though, is the REASON Growl was installed. If it had been “to provide notification when CS5 applications complete a task” or something like that, then I’d even be willing to accept it as a CS5 component (though being a non-necessary one, would have liked to see it listed as an explicit line item in the installer).

But no, it’s installed to remind me of things I could be doing to give Adobe more revenue through whatever sort of demographic/advertising agreement this involves. System-level pref pane that will immediately become active with many applications–which can be good, but that’s a user preference–installed surreptitiously for marketing purposes.

That’s not cool.

• By JC - 1:17 AM on July 16, 2010

I got the “update available” notice this evening. WTF? WTF is “Growl”? OK, now I know, have taken time to get it off my system (if Adobe’s instructions are accurate) and am not happy. And I am an Adobe stockholder, so it’s not like I don’t like the company. This was a bad move.

• By Chris - 10:46 AM on July 16, 2010

Why would Adobe install a 3rd party program on my machine, then admit it was wrong to do so and post it to a blog?

ADOBE – YOU HAVE ALL OUR EMAILS ADDRESSES, PUSH AN UNINSTALLER OUT WITH YOUR UPDATES.

Bad form Adobe. You truly have become anti-customer with this crap. I shoudl not have to do anything to find out where this Growl came from and it should not be up to me to jump through hoops to fix it.

• By Steve - 3:16 PM on July 16, 2010

Grrr.
    Bad Microsoft! I mean Adobe. Or do I?

• By Mike - 11:58 PM on July 16, 2010

Am outraged what Adobe CS5 did to my Mac OS: 1.Installed Growl without my permission, 2. Removed Safari’s ability to open pdf files and causing it to crash repeatedly. I regret buying CS5 and don’t care how good it is if Adobe is this sneaky in modifying their customers’ machines without their knowledge or permission!

• By BB - 12:01 AM on July 17, 2010

If the pop-up and the unauthorized install were not bad enough…

The pop-up does not have a close button which left me with two choices:

1) Click it. NO WAY
    2) Restart my new clean Mac and hope it goes away.

I choose the latter then had to figure out what it was, how it got there and how to kill it.

Not Good

• By Gordon - 1:06 AM on July 17, 2010

I’ve had a love-hate relationship with Adobe for some time, and to some extent I am moving to Apple’s own software. (And I hate websites made in Flash!) I too am annoyed that I had to go searching to find out why this thing called Growl that I had never heard of was wanting to update itself. Thanks to the Growl people for supplying a clear explanation on their web page (http://growl.info/). I’m pleased to see that Adobe admit it was a mistake, but it certainly lowers the level of trust.

• By Dave - 8:10 PM on July 18, 2010

After installing CS5 I thought there was something wrong with my system, but no, it turns out there’s something wrong with Adobe. Who runs this company, a bunch of six-year olds? You didn’t make a mistake, you hacked my system. I think there are laws against that.

• By Tobias - 7:01 PM on July 20, 2010

I dont want this… why does adobe don’t give me the choice of installing growl or not?
    This is not what i expect when i pay so much money for a software like this 🙁

• By Charles - 8:49 PM on July 20, 2010

Dear Adobe Product Management:

I thought it was obvious to a reputable software provider that it is completely unacceptable to install software on a computer without the user’s knowledge – especially with the Internet awash in viruses, spyware, and other malware! And even better, from the statement above, it appears that Adobe added this third party software solely for marketing purposes! What were you people at Adobe thinking???

So, Adobe, here’s my feedback in the form of a synopsis of my out-of-box experience (OOBE): I paid for an upgrade for Adobe Illustrator CS5 (as I have done for each version since CS2). I installed the software I purchased, and consequently had third-party software installed without my knowledge. I found this software in my System Preferences, and spent my valuable time discovering how it was installed. Fortunately, the people responsible for Growl posted a conspicuous notice about this – something Adobe should have done! Now, I will get to waste more of my valuable time uninstalling this unwanted software. Not a very satisfying OOBE experience!!!

To be fair, Adobe makes some very good software products and I appreciate that you have admitted this was a mistake: “We made a mistake and are actively working to mitigate the problem.” I think you owe it to your customers to say a lot more about what you are doing to “mitigate the problem.” As one commenter suggested, how about email to all registered users? Are you, as another commenter suggested, providing replacement installation disks that provide a Growl removal tool and that allow the user to choose whether or not Growl is installed? This seems like the least you could do.

A previously happy, but now angry customer.

• By Bob Gerber - 8:09 PM on July 21, 2010

On May 21st, Yashodhan Gokhale, an Adobe Senior Product Manager, posted the first mea culpa regarding the Growl fiasco. OK. I agree with the broad consensus here that Adobe was somewhat dishonest and stupid to adopt this kind of shady business practice. I also applaud Yashodhan Gokhale for stepping up and taking public responsibility. But that was then; this is now — July 21st. Where’s the promised Adobe fix? I guess you are still “reviewing the options” and preparing to address “some of our concerns.” If you are this slow then I wonder if you don’t suffer from the same problem that has hampered Washington with the Gulf crisis — you have become too big and so bloated that “studying the options” seems like action. Moreover, you are going to address only SOME of our concerns; that’s your goal? Which part of “this kind of practice is unacceptable” did you not understand? The only satisfactory solution, at least for this longtime Adobe customer (PS 2.5; before layers) is to return our systems to exactly the state they were in before we installed your CS5 product,

• By Eric Wilde - 9:19 PM on July 21, 2010

Bob, I can’t speak authoritatively on all the changes being made right now; but, we have at least removed Growl from any upcoming software releases. Let me ask around and see what else is afoot.

• By Flguy - 10:51 AM on July 22, 2010

I have just wasted almost an hour working out why this apparent malware I had never heard about was popping up ‘update growl’ windows on my computer.

And now I find its a direct consequence of installing Illustrator last week.

Shame on you Adobe – you must never NEVER install this kind of crap on my computer. EVER

• By Bob Gerber - 6:27 PM on July 22, 2010

Thanks for the response, Eric. I appreciate any research you can do for us.

In particular, I share the concern of another post regarding Growl on LR3 upgrade. I have a modest CS5 upgrade schedule for my studio. That’s all my business can afford right now and a blessing in this case. But I do have an unopened LR3 upgrade and I would welcome the good news that the Growl decision just involved the traditional CS5 product line. It would “feel good” to punish Adobe by going to Aperture; the trouble is that I consider LR3 to be better for my needs.

• By Eric Wilde - 6:56 PM on July 22, 2010

Bob,

Growl was only distributed with CS5 branded products. It was not and will not be distributed with any products going forward. Lightroom (every version) does *not* deploy Growl.

• By Bob Gerber - 8:59 PM on July 23, 2010

Thanks for the update, Eric, and the good news re:Lightroom 3.

I presume that you are in the middle of the Growl melee at Adobe. From my experience here, you are one of the good guys. Hang in there; this too shall pass.

Bob

• By S. Howard - 8:21 AM on September 11, 2010

I bought Adobe software in SEPTEMBER 2010…..they first apologized in MAY!!!!! I guess after three months and thousands of installs of their products, they just keep on allowing the product to be installed?????F@#$ing ridiculous!!!! Why is this crap product still getting installed on peoples’ machines? They could do something to remove it in the initial install update?

• By Matt Cram - 1:16 AM on July 24, 2010

The Adobe installer askes if I want to install Illustrator, Flash, etc… but somehow you thought it would be a good idea to not ask if we wanted Growl? Poor judgement and rude.

• By Wynn - 4:51 AM on July 24, 2010

What a waste of time. What an annoyance. What a disappointment. On top of that, the “disable” instructions don’t seem to work, except for Firefox and LabTick; Adobe Manager doesn’t even appear in Applications in the Growl Sys Pref panel. Unbelievable. Adobe seems to be going the Steve Jobs route of building an enticing little garden that has walls you don’t find out about until you’re stuck with it/in it. Dis-f***ing-gusting. Shame on you, Adobe.

• By Nigel Ashton - 3:03 AM on August 13, 2010

Since when can a subversive Growl installation be compared to Apple’s standard-procedure-since-their-inception ‘walled garden’?

I only found out Growl is on my machine when it popped up. I’m very annoyed.
      To be frank, I regret paying all that money for CS5 and Lr3.
      The Dodge/Burn tools are better but aside from some tweaks that’s about the sum of the innovation.
      CAF isn’t very aware, and the UI is still a mess.
      Bad form Adobe, bad form.

• By Pete - 12:38 PM on July 25, 2010

You install a pesky annoying active notification utility to force users to stay abreast of your products and services without their permission and then provide no way to remove it from our systems … and you’re an Out of the Box Experience specialist? There’s an oxymoron.

Please, please, please go and do another job. This one is not for you.

• By Robin - 4:54 PM on August 3, 2010

Thanks for the horror of having to troubleshoot this sht myself. How dare you? How could you? I thought we were friends, Adobe. I’ve been with you since Pagemaker + Illustrator 88. This is how you treat your users now? Up yours.
    I won’t trust you again. Thanks.

• By Spammers Suck - 6:29 PM on August 5, 2010

Adobe says…

‘We added Growl notifications to remind users to claim their complimentary benefits for registering their product and to update their Adobe.com profiles. Complimentary benefits include things like “30 days of lynda.com online video training”’

This is marketing-speak for “We bundled third-party annoy-ware without telling you to enhance our ability to spam you and sell you more crap.”

This is beyond disgusting. It is NOT a mistake. It is deliberate and simply evil.

• By leila - 2:58 PM on August 6, 2010

Ok, so I don’t really like that Adobe gave me Growl without my knowing it but I actually like how it interacts with Skype and puts a small box up at the top alerting me to messages coming in. Not the end of the world as this isn’t anything that is going to destroy my computer and I’m sure by now Adobe realizes this wasn’t the best of ideas. But I kinda like Growl.

• By Andy - 4:59 PM on August 8, 2010

Another thanks here for making me waste my time figuring out what had installed Growl on my machine without permission. I must have missed the email informing me once you figured out people were upset. Oh, wait, there wasn’t one. Idiots.

• By :/ - 8:14 PM on August 8, 2010

I am also very displeased by this. I payed $400 for the Adobe CS5 package and did not pay for some weird application I don’t even want or know the purpose of having. You do NEED to make this an optional installation, not “should” or “maybe” make this optional. You’re littering our computers with crap we don’t want or need and none of us appreciate it. And another thing I’m annoyed by is this Adobe Updater crap in my mac menu bar. With every other icon in my menu bar i can hold down command and drag them to rearrange or take them out, but not with this terrible pice of junk. I’d really appreciate an explanation on how to get this out of my face since apparently we have to troubleshoot all this ourselves. Thanks, con-artists.

• By Niko - 1:44 AM on August 9, 2010

This has made a lot of users mad including my self. I installed CS5 trial with high potential of buying it later, but I DO NOT THINK SO ANY MORE. Adobe are you at the end of your time that you have to this to your user? A SIMPLE APOLOGY will might come the waters down.

• By R James - 4:42 AM on August 9, 2010

Man, this pi$$ed me off. What a waste of time trying to figure out how this stupid app got into my system. I run a pro machine with no room for 3rd party crap. Then this junk appears without any warning.

Isn’t this called spyware, Adobe?

• By Peggy - 8:14 PM on August 9, 2010

Double shame on you. Not only did you install Growl on my computer without my permission your directions for removing it only disables Growl. It does not remove Growl. I had to do a search for System files to remove a slew of Growl files. Utterly disgraceful.

• By Ted - 5:53 AM on August 11, 2010

Wow, I thought someone hacked my machine, I didn’t realize I invited them in…
    As a rule, people like as little change (if any) on their machine. This is the first time that I see a recommendation to use uninstaller instead of dragging to trash, which means, ‘we installed more then what you see’.
    That’s why I hate installers, they pull blinds and do whatever they want on your system. A short (?) list of what is installed BEFORE installing it, would make a great difference.

• By Jim B - 7:08 PM on August 11, 2010

Ok, so on May 21, 2010, Yashodhan Gokhale fesses up that Adobe made a mistake. Almost 2 months later, I purchase a downloadable version CS5 FROM Adobe and install it on my machine and it still installs Growl! So, I guess Yash must have meant, we’re sorry we did that, AND WE’RE GOING TO KEEP ON DOING IT. There are probably several things that Adobe customers would like to install on Yashodhan without him knowing it, I’m guessing.

• By John P. - 5:59 PM on August 12, 2010

While I applaud the apology, I was confused at first how Growl came to be on my machine, then frustrated and even angry. I always review the list of installed components, but this *isn’t* a component, it is an application. I’m very careful with my machine, what gets installed, etc… and I had first thought another app update was responsible. Another tick on my ‘things I hate Adobe for’ list. Especially since I was installing the trial of AI CS5 (yesterday – August 12), to see if the upgrade was worth it.

• By Dennis - 1:06 AM on August 13, 2010

Everything I want to say has already been said by those above me.
    I just wanted to add my name to the list of extremely pissed off customers.

• By Dale - 4:09 PM on August 13, 2010

Hello Adobe,

When will you be offering free replacement installation disks without growl?

• By Paulo - 12:25 AM on August 14, 2010

Nice to see that there has been an apology from Adobe, but staggering that a fix hasn’t been made, and truly unbelievable that it ever got done in the first place.

• By dogsayswoof - 3:54 PM on August 22, 2010

Unfortunately, it wasn’t even an apology…. just a notification.

• By Andrew - 9:49 PM on August 15, 2010

Extremely bad Adobe! I am so surprised to find that not only do I have to monitor my system for uninvited software from unscrupulous companies but now find Adobe doing the same. I am very confused why Adobe need to use a 3rd party piece of software to do a job Adobe normally have written into the Adobe software. Anyone would think i’d installed some shareware…not an expensive one.

How do I know Growl has been removed completely from my system? How could you add a HIDDEN piece of software and then expect us to believe it isn’t still sending information to somewhere? My opinion of Adobe has been tarnished badly and I am even more angered by the unacceptable delay in a software patch to rectify this product.

Stop just paying lip service to your customers and rectify this ‘beneficial notification’.

• By Doug - 9:30 PM on August 16, 2010

Are you also going to give us the option to not install Adobe Air and the darn updater? Even after I clobber the LaunchAgents/LaunchDaemons plists your apps keep putting them back in there.

It’s very simple: I don’t want ANY of your code running on my machine unless I click on it. Period. You’re welcome to check for updates when I run your applications (assuming that I’ve checked that preference – and fine, for acrobat, you can even make that the default for the great mass of user), but there is NO REASON to do it when I simply boot the machine. This kind of bloated garbage is what sunk windows.

• By Ben B. - 6:33 AM on August 17, 2010

Alright, Adobe. You made an error. Flash Catalyst makes up for it. But don’t let me catch you doing it again, ya’ rascal.

• By Jim - 12:00 PM on August 17, 2010

This is bad. And stupid. Adobe is considered arrogant by anyones standards ( they even make quark look good, and there was a time that i would have said that was impossible).
    I’ve been using photoshop since it was called binuscan, and i’ve never encountered something like this before. stop listening to the mba’s and go back to listening to the engineers.

• By Wing - 1:15 PM on August 17, 2010

How can someone in an organization large as Adobe not see it as a problem… the six figure marketing geniuses at Adobe needs to be fired. Adobe used to be a software company run by engineers creating innovative products. Now they are run by marketing dweebs. Like Quark, I won’t be surprise if they move operations to India in the next few years to save some money. I know the marketing guys will remove my post in a few hours so keep spreading the word.

• By Wing - 1:25 PM on August 17, 2010

Hey everybody, Adobe just moved to India…. wow that was quick.
      I also found out that advertisement also appears on the first sheet of every document you send to the printer.

• By Eric Wilde - 5:21 AM on August 19, 2010

Well, Adobe’s not quite in India. We do have offices in many countries across five continents; but, I’m still alive and well in California.

• By Wing - 1:29 PM on August 17, 2010

BTW, a coupon also pops up on my computer when you want to save a file. My said “”save $3 on hemorrhoid cream”

• By AAAAANDRE - 5:56 AM on August 18, 2010

Was Ist LOS!???

Me too! ;-((((

• By John woods - 2:47 AM on August 21, 2010

What a Bonehead move this was. Here a hint ask first, you don’t own the computer, you don’t own anything on the system. You politely ask and make it an Optional part of Install. Adobe has certainly been diminished significantly in my mind doing this.

• By dogsayswoof - 3:52 PM on August 22, 2010

SORRY????? Read Gokhale’s statement several times…. couldn’t find the word. In my option, apologizing would make the customers that Adobe deceived feel more comfortable about trusting the company again in the future. As it stands I do not believe Adobe realizes how deceptive and manipulative their actions were if they can’t even apologize for their questionable business practices. Even GROWL’S website gives Adobe a little slap on the wrist. I’m now questioning what else was installed on my HD without my knowledge. Adobe you have broken the circle of trust with your customers….. time to step up and correct the problem, YOU OWE YOUR CUSTOMERS A PROPER APOLOGY!

• By Joe - 12:36 AM on August 25, 2010

Glad I found this in the trial version before shelling out big $$$ for the full version. I believe I’ll be looking for an alternative program for web design on my Mac now. It’s a shame too because I really like Dreamweaver.

• By Bill - 6:37 AM on August 28, 2010

count me in on disappointed users. This was just plain irresponsible and has certainly wasted hundreds, more likely thousands of hours of users cumulative time. What a colossal waste of our energy. Shame on you Adobe, I feel like you owe us.

• By Ted - 2:22 AM on August 29, 2010

To add to insult to injury, in addition to Growl, I had a pop up asking me to allow ‘rs_mac’ (what???) internet connection???

So, here I go again, on Google, to see how in the freaking world did something like this slipped in system. And guess what, it’s Adobe’s Akumi, the same one you need before installing Adobe.

I won’t wait for a third surprise, I had it. I Just uninstalled everything, Adobe, Growl, Akumi (yes, Akumi). I’ll stay as far as possible from Adobe from now on. I want to know what’s on my system thank you very much!

• By Eric Wilde - 10:47 PM on August 29, 2010

Akumi? Can you provide a bit more information? Looking about for Akumi I do see a company named ‘Akumi Software Inc.’. I know of no relation between Adobe Creative Suite products or installers with Akumi Software Inc. or any other Akumi.

• By Theo Stauffer - 8:25 AM on August 29, 2010

Adobe, in my humble opinion, you are on the long road to losing your market. There are many people on both supported platforms that are unhappy with your latest products, in fact who have been unhappy with your latest products for quite a while. The constant focus on features over quality has led your premier products to become bloated monstrosities that have very little consistency from one release to the next.

The bloat and terrible installation processes (who came up with the idea to use Flash for panels and installers???) make me think that I made a mistake updating from CS3 to CS5.

I am responsible for the Adobe CS acquisition in our company (32 licenses Design Standard and Web Premium) and I simply cannot justify a full upgrade considering that I’m going to have to do even more testing to see that Adobe doesn’t break things yet again.

I am not too sure of the legal situation (I’m in Switzerland), but installing products that connect to the net without informing the user is very likely to be illegal here, and if not here, then in the EU.

Do we even have a guarantee that uninstalling growl will not break the Adobe installer (or uninstaller)?

I am going to speak to our legal department to clarify this situation tomorrow.

• By Greg - 4:19 PM on August 29, 2010

I appreciate this update, even if it takes quite a bit of digging to locate. What I don’t appreciate is how this problem has not been solved, three months later. It gives an impression that no effort is being made to correct a very serious issue, one which violates the relationship between Adobe and its customers.

It is tiresome that we so frequently see situations such as this, only get resolved through the extreme action of a class action suit. Lets hope that is not necessary to have this problem fixed.

• By Eric Wilde - 11:25 PM on August 29, 2010

For all future software releases Growl has been removed. The engineering team is implementing a lighter-weight notification system that will no longer be used by any other software publications on the user’s system.

• By Carlo - 7:38 AM on September 1, 2010

Thank you, Eric. This looks to be ok for the future.
        What Adobe think to do to correct the PRESENT situation?

• By Greg - 4:22 PM on August 29, 2010

Also, you may wish to note that this has given me an ill impression of the Growl software, whatever it’s purpose. Very bad publicity for them.

• By Jonathan - 8:52 AM on September 1, 2010

If you really want to COMPLETELY get rid of Growl, get rid of these folders as well:
    /Users/~user name~/Library/Caches/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp
    /Users/~user name~/Library/Preferences/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist
    /Users/~user name~/Library/Application Support/Growl

• By Chris - 6:04 PM on September 3, 2010

I am furious with Adobe for putting this software on my computer without my permission, especially after the price that I paid for the software. I am going to return this overpriced junk and learn a new software package.

• By SC Norman - 5:34 PM on September 6, 2010

I BOUGHT CS5 – installed it and found this piece of shareware loaded on my clean computer – complete with donate button in the about tab. I find this totally unacceptable and am thinking some action must be taken beyond “things sometimes slip”. Did Adobe forget we purchase their software to do work. I am so angry about the loss of time and probable trouble I must step away from the computer. Lastly – I have not heard a real “apology” and “we will never do it again” out of Adobe.

• By David Ellul - 3:54 AM on September 11, 2010

I wasted 2 hours of my life trying to find out where and what the hell this was. The notifications from several apps that I need to keep running in the background were constant and getting in the way of work. PISSED OFF!!

• By Proserpina - 5:02 AM on September 17, 2010

WE ARE NOW IN SEPTEMBER 2010 AND THIS ISSUE STILL HASN’T BEEN FIXED. Where are you at with this? I just downloaded your software and ran into the same situation that all these folks (and I imagine all the silent users) have been lamenting for months now. If you still haven’t been able to fix the issue on the installation end, at minimum, please let users know that this WILL be installed.

• By Eric Wilde - 11:55 AM on September 17, 2010

All releases of new products after CS5 shipped have Growl removed. At this time there is no plan to reproduce the media for CS5 to remove Growl from it.

• By Mikkel - 2:52 AM on September 20, 2010

You know the kicker here? Growl is a shining example of what makes Mac OS X’s interoperability great. It’s streamlined, customizable, and will seamlessly accept notifications from hundreds of different apps. I’ve used it for years and list it among my top pieces of Mac software. Now Adobe comes along, installs it without permission, uses it for promotional purposes rather than useful notifications as it was designed, and people react to it as spyware. For shame, Adobe! Great work destroying the reputation of a fantastic pieces of software.

• By Tom - 3:40 AM on September 20, 2010

@ Eric Wilde:
    that is not true. I bought Adobe CS5 Web Premium from the online store a couple of weeks ago and had the box shipped to my place. It installed Growl without warning me… luckily I found this blog post quite easily.

• By Eric Wilde - 12:17 PM on September 20, 2010

Tom, I mean that all future software releases have Growl removed. CS5 is already built and released. So what you purchase off the store is what was delivered earlier this year. If a CS5.1 or some other new build were to be released it would not have Growl.

• By NelC - 8:39 AM on September 24, 2010

Oh, wow, I just realised that this has been going on since May!? And the minor upgrade I just downloaded doesn’t include an optional Growl remover? Get your skates on, Adobe! This is not what we want from a giant in the software biz.

• By Paul - 5:38 AM on September 26, 2010

This is outrageous behaviour from Adobe. I have cancelled my CS5 trial and uninstalled it… but Growl is still there. If you acknowledge that installing this 3rd party software without permission, why haven’y you emailed all users to advise them of the fact and give the option of uninstalling? It is the very least you should do.
    How can I ever trust Adobe if you install things without my permission? How can I be sure that next time it won’t be a keystroke logger? I only found out about Growl when I received an update notice from them. Even THEY say the hate you for doing it.
    You’ve 100% lost my trust.

• By Hg Wells - 9:31 PM on September 26, 2010

First, Growl is actually a really good product. For those of us who use it, it is really helpful. The people themselves at Growl are not happy that Adobe let this happen (and continue it). They are also not happy that a few other aps do something similar. This is clearly no fault of Growl. And Growl itself is a really good ap letting me know all sorts of things so I don’t have to check things all the time. I especially like Growl Mail. And it’s free. I want to be sure that the venom here is directed at Adobe, not Growl. And, no, I don’t work for Growl or know anything about it other than what’s on their site and my experience with it. Adobe used to have great products. Now, it has SOME great products. If they can’t even fix this little Growl thing, no wonder SJ gave up giving them time to fix everything else.

• By lol - 6:17 AM on September 29, 2010

Megastoopid Adobe!

• By SM - 6:20 AM on September 29, 2010

“The people themselves at Growl are not happy that Adobe let this happen” is plainly false, and silly to say. First because they obviously hold the copyright (ie right to copy) and coul sue adobe for millions. Secondly because we’re all here talking about some useless piece of sw – obviously to its advantage. I uninstalled it, and wonder how growl has gotten through my firewall – this is damn creepy.

• By Alexis - 7:27 AM on October 2, 2010

Not really as Growl is licensed under BSD. It is actually really cool, but this is not the way to go about using it.

• By James - 9:33 AM on October 4, 2010

Wow. So, I installed a copy of Dreamweaver I downloaded from Adobe in late September — four months after Adobe acknowledged their “mistake” and promised to correct it — and it *still* automatically installs Growl, with no user notification. Like many posters here, I was appalled to discover I suddenly had Growl installed, with no idea of where it came from or how it got there.

Excuse me, but the “we’re going to fix this in future builds” excuse doesn’t cut it. I understand if we’re talking about retail copies of the software that are already on the shelf — but this is software downloaded directly from Adobe.

The very least Adobe could do is remove the Growl installation for install packages that are downloaded from their website every day.

After four full months and many, many customer complaints, Adobe still has not corrected their “mistake” in the software they make available for download every day. Nor have they even bothered to post anything on the download page about this issue, to at least alert customers. That tells me all I need to know about Adobe’s attitude toward its customers.

(Adding injury to insult, the Adobe Updater app, another helpful little app that’s installed without giving the user the option to disable it, also managed to crash my menu bar in Snow Leopard. Awesome work, Adobe!)

Hey Adobe — goodbye. Count me in with the many former fans of your software who are now actively avoiding your products like the plague.

• By James - 9:38 AM on October 4, 2010

Dear Adobe,

What address do I use to send you the bill for the four hours my IT staff wasted tracking this down and uninstalling the third-party software you snuck in for your stupid marketing purposes? We bill out at a reasonable rate — $150 per hour — so you only owe us $600.

Maybe you can pay us before you make that big donation to the Growl folks for ruining their reputation?

• By Fazal Majid - 11:25 PM on October 4, 2010

Perhaps the clueless goons who manage CS should ask their clueful colleagues at Lightroom how to do it. Lightroom shows notifications like “memory card ejected” without installing unwanted bloat. I shudder to think what the “lightweight notification solution” being prepared will entail.

• By Jeremy Flowers - 12:32 PM on October 10, 2010

You guys have done this with FlashBuilder 4 without my knowledge either.
    Now I’m getting notifications of a newer version of Growl I never asked for.
    What a liberty!

• By Jeremy Flowers - 12:34 PM on October 10, 2010

PS: It could of course be Tour de Flex too..

• By Matti - 11:28 PM on October 10, 2010

This is unbelievably arrogant from Adobe.

I just uninstalled your stuff and won’t put it back. I’ll head for some open source solution instead.