Jul 30, 2012
AAMEE 3.1 Beta Live (Yes, Updates Have Returned!)
Update for Sep 13, 2012: The release of AAMEE 3.1 is live and features 3 significant features not in the beta. See the blog post AAMEE 3.1…or why puffer fish is a delicacy for more info.
I was working on another draft of my acceptance speech for Software Industry’s Worst Product Manager of the Year 2012 award when I got the call: AAMEE 3.1 could be released as a beta. And this series of mudslinging and thinly veiled (and some not so veiled) insults will no hopefully come to a close. With the return of the Updates workflow we can now can dodge rotten tomatoes thrown our way for worthy reasons (like breaking imaging workflows) instead of taking out features everyone liked.
The beta of AAMEE 3.1 is now on Adobe Labs in the Enterprise IT Tools for Adobe Creative Suite section. We decided to go the route of releasing the beta on Adobe Labs instead of our traditional Prerelease program because we wanted to get this in the hands of as many people as possible, as soon as possible. This release is not 100% “feature complete” and I am hoping to get one more significant component into this release. In the meantime, here is the Top Ten of what is new with AAMEE 3.1 beta:
1) Updates added to Installation Package workflow
2) Updates added to Trial Package workflow
3) Update Package workflow added
4) Modify Existing Package workflow added
5) Support for eLearning Suite 6
6) Support for Technical Communication Suite 4
7) New Welcome screen
8) Display of build time now in % (and more accurate)
9) Ability to specify specific updates with Remote Update Manager
10) Adobe Exceptions Deployer now in Exceptions folder
Okay, so I ran out of things for the Top Ten and had to include changes for RUM and xDA. But you get the point; the AAMEE crew has been b-u-s-y these last two months! And now get thee to the Internets. Oh wait, you are on the internet already. Okay, then, please follow these easy steps:
1) Go here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/aameetools/
2) Read the 3.1 Read Me and updated Deployment Guide
3) Read and accept the terms and download the AAMEE 3.1 beta
4) Use the AAMEE 3.1 beta and happily make update packages in the comfort of air conditioned rooms while drinking lemonade.
5) Provide your feedback about this release in the Labs forum:
6) Follow the @Adobe_ITToolkit and/or set your RSS reader to this blog so you can be informed of when AAMEE 3.1 ships
Thanks to the AAMEE crew for getting this out so quickly and thanks in advance to everyone for helping us out testing this beta.
Jody Rodgers | Senior Product Manager | Enterprise + Volume | Digital Media | Adobe Systems