Digital Editions 1.5 Released!

Digital Editions 1.5 now released
(May 14, 2008)
Adobe has updated its popular Digital Editions software, a lightweight, rich Internet application for reading, acquiring and organizing digital books and other publications. Version 1.5 features enhanced DRM flexibility through named activation so that users can move content across platforms and mobile devices using an Adobe ID. In addition, ADE 1.5 is localized in French and German and has support for Mac® OSX 10.5 (Leopard). Adobe Digital Editions supports both PDF and IDPF EPUB, a standard format designed to reflow for the screens of mobile reading devices, which has gained broad acceptance among book publishers.

Adobe Digital Editions has over 1 million installations since the June 2007 launch. The new software will be automatically provided to users who have installed Digital Editions 1.0, and is available at the product site .

Adobe has also released an updated Digital Editions installer and launcher for distributors of eBooks. The installer is used to detect and install the latest version of ADE for retail or library customers of Adobe eBooks. The software is free to use and available with implementation instructions .

14 Responses to Digital Editions 1.5 Released!

1. Ric says:

This update just totally does not work. I opened Digital Editions tonight to continue working through an ebook I had bought, was forced to make the upgrade, and the upgrade refuses to recognize I have a licensed and paid for book! Surely it cannot be _that_ hard to code it to recognize an existing installed book?The system yields a “page not available” error when I click on the “more info” link in the activation page and will not recognise that I exist as a paid user.Enough. I simply will not buy another book that uses Digital Editions. I have clearly wasted a lot of money already and will be telling the publisher what I think of this software.

2. Chris says:

Hello, Linux support – when?

3. John Abrash says:

Should we expect to see it in reading devices like the Sony Reader now?

4. Yokel says:

Why does DE have to be localized? Now because I’m sitting in Germany, I have to work with a German version. Up ’til now I had the English (because English is my language).Is there some way to get an English update?

5. salty-horse says:

Is there an official place to submit feedback?When bookmarking, it would be nice if the note entry box would automatically be filled with the current place in the book, according to the table of contents (Chapter name, for example).

6. Ramnish Kalsi says:

Firstly, apologies for asking a question here..How do I find out the version of ADE installed using the SDK provided by Adobe. I dont want to use the badge, however I am looking at the callback functionality which is documented in the SDK. However, the callbacks do not seem to be called. any ideas, who can help me with this. I have posted questions on forums, however luck seems to be eluding me until now.Best,Ramnish.

7. Using Paragraph Numbers for Navigation and PrintingDE 1.5 shows numbers to right of the text to replicate something like page numbers. My understanding is that these server as navigational tools, e.g., for figuring out where one is in the middle of the book, and for printing purposes.Why did you choose an arbitrary unit to call it a page? This does not make sense in a true digital reflowable document. If you want a way to cite passages of the document or to aid in navigation or printing, the paragraph number is the way to go, in my opinion. Paragraph numbers have a number of benefits including that they are truly related to the content in a very natural way and are viewer independent. If I am reading a document on DE, I can send a friend or colleague a message saying “looking at paragraph 154,” and if he/she is reading the same document using another viewer than DE, he/she can still locate the right paragraph.This can be very useful in extending the epub format to include bookmarks and social networking sharing features. Paragraphs can be counted easily and unambiguously within any epub document. Why not using them? The only drawback I can think of is that books will have a relatively large number of paragraphs.

8. Karen says:

I’m also eagerly waiting a Linux version.

9. Pankaj says:

In adobe digital edition 1.5 there are some numbers at right align. What are exactly these numbers? Are these page numbers or paragraph numbers? Please clarify me?

10. Peter Sorotokin says:

Ahmed, paragraphs in XHTML are quite ambiguous. Do titles count as paragraphs? How about block quotes? What about floats, image captions, list items, table cells (which all can be single character or multi-paragraph). We need a simple and reliable algorithm that would also work without a need to decompress and parse the content.We will be looking into providing a better control over the positioning of the page number marks in the future.

11. Mike says:

I tried to open Digital Editions today and was told that I needed to download the update. I clicked OK and was redirected to a page here on Adobe’s website which provided absolutely no help and did not allow me to download the update. Very disappointed.

12. Mike says:

13. Susan says:

I tried to open Digital Editions today and was told I needed to download updates. Clicked ok and was directed to a page that was of no use. I paid for my e-books and now I cannot read them. What a waste. I am really disappointed to have a program tied to the book companies that does not work just because of an upgrade. It should be consumers choice to upgrade. And if you do upgrade at least get a web page that will be of help to upgrade.

14. Janette says:

I tried to download digital editions today. The software did download…in spanish. I’m an english reader. I did not request spanish. I checked all through the adobe downloads and did not find a download for the english version.