Digital Editions 1.7 Released!

We’ve released Digital Editions 1.7:

Adobe has updated its popular Digital Editions software, a lightweight, rich Internet application for reading, acquiring, and organizing digital books and other publications. Digital Editions 1.7 greatly expands language support.

In addition to the current support for English, German and French, Digital Editions 1.7 supports Japanese, Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), Korean, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and Portuguese. For publishers seeking to include special roman characters in their publications, we highly recommend embedding fonts in your digital publications. Version 1.7 also provides for a standalone installer option which can be used to install Digital Editions in networked environments including corporate, educational and other locations that require administrative installations of the software. The expanded language and installer support in Digital Editions 1.7 enables Adobe Content Server 4 customers to protect and fulfill both PDF and EPUB files to users who want to purchase or borrow content in the above languages and also to users who use Digital Editions in networked environments.

I think it’s worth mentioning that you may see a small change in behavior for files exported from InDesign CS3 and InDesign CS4. Digital Editions 1.7 supports justified text. If your books in InDesign have justified text you should now see them justified in Digital Editions.For other authoring applications, supporting justified text is a matter of using the text-align property:

p {text-align:justify}

11 Responses to Digital Editions 1.7 Released!

1. Ori Avtalion says:

Thank you for the justification support!Any idea when the new version will reach the Sony Reader?Here is an interesting review of the release:http://blog.feedbooks.com/?p=158

2. C Clark says:

Is there any information for licensing on the new Enterprise installation? The official links provided don’t mention the licensing part, just the installation.As far as I can see, the “stand alone installer” for Enterprise networks still asks for licensing options for the end user. Usually an administrative install will allow you to provide license details.In an open access environment for students, users will move from PC to PC.If they try to activate with their Adobe ID when running for the first time, they run out of activations after using it 3 times (on 3 different PCs). This stops them from using the app in an open access environment correctly.How is this overcome?

3. Moira Clunie says:

I know that Digital Editions 1.6 was not compatible with screen reader technology. Has there been any improvement in accessibility for 1.7? If not, are there any plans to make future versions accessible for blind users?

4. Paul says:

unbelievably, you can’t keep using the old version! It forces you upgrade, and you can’t read your books until you do.And it takes you to the wrong downlaod page… I downloaded 40 Mb of adobe bloatware reader, before I realized!Why does adobe make ebooks sooo difficult?

5. Benjamin Collins says:

Will viewing of password-protected documents be supported, ever? I very much prefer to read books in ADE rather than Acrobat Reader, but several books that I frequently go to are password-protected (and legally purchased).

6. Paul Norton says:

@Ori, I don’t know. As you’re asking about SONY’s Reader.. hmmm…. maybe check w/SONY? :)@C Clark – Unfortunately, I really don’t know. So, I’ve sent a message to the Tech Support group. You should be hearing from them via email.

7. Paul Norton says:

@Moria ClunieI don’t believe there was any improvement in 1.7, but it’s definitely on our feature list for the future.

8. Reina Brown says:

I, too, would like to know if this version is accessible. I tried to download it, and I was having trouble getting it to work with my screen reader, which is JAWS. I ended up having to remove it from my computer. Am I doing something wrong, or is the product not yet accessible? If it is not accessible, please modify the software so that it is, or release a version that is. Blind people also love to read. I’m a subscriber of ebooks.com, and PDF is the most popular ebook format. Thanks so much.

9. Thomas says:

Previously, our deafblind clients could read e-books with the screenreader software thanks to adobe reader 7.x. But since Adobe from march 2009 no longer supports ebooks reading in 7.x, everyone is forced to use Adobe Digital Editions which for a long time have been completely unaccessible and still are. I think that it is strange if Adobe not address this issue immediately! It’s not okay to be proud of Adobe Reader 9.x accessibility capatibilites and do nothing about the lack of accessibility in the Digital Editions./Thomas

10. Pete Marsh says:

I can’t read a book I purchased for $50 USD because Digital Editions crashes: “Adobe Digital Editions has encountered a problem and needs to close.” I rebooted, then removed and reinstalled. It still crashes. What should I do?

11. Wael Abdelsattar says:

I’m asking about the future versions of ADE if you planned to support CSS pseudo-classes/elements selector properties as you did in ADE 1.7 with justification support.Specifically the following propertis::first-child:last-child:only-child