[Posted by Suresh Vittal, Chief Product Officer, Neolane]
Twelve years ago 4 best friends embarked on an adventure to transform how brands engage with their consumers. Over the last 12 years Neolane grew into a nimble, fast growing innovator who reset the rules of cross-channel marketing and campaign management. Today is the beginning of a new journey for Neolanians as Adobe announced its intention to acquire Neolane. This is great news for the Marketing organization. Here’s why:
- It’s about the customer. This is true at multiple levels. Marketing today is incredibly complex. And channel solutions like email or social aren’t the answer. While we do email and social well, we do think it is more than simply doing channel stuff. It is about operating with the customer at the heart of the business. This is incredibly hard to pull off. Marketers will succeed or fail on their ability to deliver persuasive content and experiences to their customers. They won’t win by pushing campaigns but by being able to address the individual in realtime. Adding Neolane’s world class segmentation, automation, and orchestration capabilities to the formidable analytic, content, and experience assets of Adobe empower marketers to win today.
- Technology for marketers, by marketers. We can’t overstate this point. Building technology for marketers isn’t like anything else that software companies do well. It’s about strong, marketer-friendly capabilities that hide complexity and fit to how marketers work. To do this you need to live and breathe marketing. This isn’t the story of a diversified technology holding company acquiring a marketing specialist. Both companies obsess about transforming marketing and changing the way marketers approach their discipline. And there isn’t a better time to do this as the role of CMO and the broader marketing organization shifts and morphs to address the connected consumer.
- Complementary capabilities. Adobe uniquely brings together creative content, and analytics while we at Neolane focus on data, segmentation, and execution. Together, we can impact the entire marketing value chain. This is exciting news for brand and direct marketers. Uniquely, we can bring data to amplify brand marketing and content and digital assets to make the segmentation that drives direct marketing more impactful. This helps both B2B and B2C marketers.
- Scale personalization. Addressing mass markets at an individual level is a promise that remains unfulfilled for most marketers. The challenge very often isn’t that they can’t get the data or insights on time but that they can’t connect the insights with the content at the point of interaction. Adobe’s strength lies in optimizing the content supply and experience value chain. Adding Neolane to the mix will allow marketers to scale their personalization efforts across channels and devices in a way that simply wasn’t possible before.
- A strong cultural fit. Adobe is a past master at finding the right technology assets to improve its overall proposition for marketers. The prior acquisitions of Omniture, Day Software, Efficient Frontier, and Demdex are testament to this fact. And it’s not just about acquiring these companies but integrating the assets and more importantly the people to create the first substantial marketing cloud. Our four founders were very clear in their message to the company: this is about sharing and extending our vision to the next chapter in the evolution of marketing and who better to share this journey with than Adobe. Our journey hasn’t ended. It’s simply shifted gears and accelerated.
- Benefits abound for each company’s customers, prospects, and partners. At Neolane, our clients and prospects already push us to focus on the customer experience. The complementary nature of the capabilities and Adobe’s size and strength means we can bring more to the table, faster. Our partners benefit too — they can build more on the combined platform and serve marketing across the spectrum of their channel, operational, analytical or content needs.
To sum it up, we at Neolane are humbled and excited to join a world class company like Adobe in our joint endeavor to transform marketing. This allows us to bring innovation to the marketing organization faster than we ever could on our own.