A Microsoft AdCen­ter upgrade last week now pro­vides search mar­keters with the abil­ity to A/B test mul­ti­ple ads (Pre­vi­ously, you could run mul­ti­ple ads in Adcen­ter, but the ads would not rotate evenly, mak­ing test­ing dif­fi­cult. This even rota­tion func­tion­al­ity has been avail­able in Google Adwords for years).

Prior to this Adcen­ter upgrade, if you were run­ning mul­ti­ple ads in an ad group, Adcen­ter would deter­mine which ad to favor most of the time (i.e. – while run­ning two ads, one ad would get 93% of the traf­fic, the other ad would get 7%), and Adcen­ter would favor the ad gen­er­at­ing the high­est vol­ume of clicks (rather than con­ver­sions, which is typ­i­cally the indus­try best practice.)

As a result of this Adcen­ter fea­ture update, it’s worth review­ing some best prac­tices in A/B ad text testing:

1. Use tightly themed ad groups, so that your ads can eas­ily reflect the search query
2. Describe your offer­ing clearly, using proper gram­mar and punc­tu­a­tion
3. A/B test based on con­ver­sions, or con­ver­sion rate (rather than clicks, or CTR)
4. Test dif­fer­ent com­po­nents of an ad at a time (Head­line 1 vs. Head­line 2; dur­ing this test, make the descrip­tion lines iden­ti­cal)
5. A/B test dif­fer­ent Value Propo­si­tions (e.g. – Descrip­tion 1 in Google Adwords; or the first half of the descrip­tion line in adcen­ter)
6. A/B Test dif­fer­ent Calls-to-Actions at the end of the ad (Descrip­tion 2 in Google; the sec­ond half of the Adcen­ter descrip­tion line). Exam­ple: “F/S Ends Soon. Buy Now!“
7. A/B Test dif­fer­ent Head­lines (e.g. – Dynamic Key­word Inser­tion (DKI) vs. sta­tic ads). You may find that DKI dri­ves a higher CTR, but that may not trans­late into a bet­ter con­ver­sion rate.
8. Con­sider run­ning your tests for at least one week (or even two), because online traf­fic for many indus­tries vary each day of the week). There­fore, you wouldn’t want to com­pare traf­fic from a Mon.-Wed. period against a Thurs-Fri period.
9. Set a bench­mark period (i.e – one week with orig­i­nal ads), then launch revised ads to run the fol­low­ing 7 days (or 14 days).
10. In Adwords, punc­tu­ate the end of Descrip­tion 1, if Descrip­tion 2 is a new sen­tence. This is often over­looked, because some search mar­keters assume the descrip­tion lines are two sep­a­rate lines. But they aren’t if the ad appears in a pre­mium position.

If you have any thoughts on this list, please share your ideas in Comments.


Swift Pay Systems

we're a credit card processing company that also does loans.


Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, Swift Pay Systems opened its doors in 2008 with ideas and procedures that would later revolutionize the payment industry.

Get More info about us: http://swiftpaysystems.com/