I recently read a published paper “The Best Practices in Online Video Across Industries” from Forrester by Bobby Tulsiani and thought that it would be useful to share some basic dos and don’ts from the article. I’d like to invite you to share your best practices with us as well.
- Enhance the ease of playback by providing a simple and frictionless playback experience
- Highlight the information being presented by providing a thumbnail preview and the total running time which could earn user trust and increase clickthrough rates
- Provide users more control to enhance user’s interactive experience
- Don’t isolate the videos without context
- Avoid obtrusive experiences such as automatically start playing without any warning
- Avoid barricaded experiences such as requiring users to download new software, register, or sign in before viewing a video, especially for videos with ads