Today, I had the pleasure of connecting with the talented team at HipChat, developers of an a new instant messaging service. HipChat is designed to help companies easily collaborate on projects using chat rooms and file sharing. The video above provides an excellent overview of the service and demonstrates the desktop application powered by Adobe AIR (users can also use a web interface).
From the HipChat website, features include:
- File sharing and storage. Share PDFs, mockups, and documents for instant feedback. Access them any time from the HipChat client or on the web.
- Chat rooms. Use rooms for departments, teams, or projects. Rooms can be open for anyone to join, or private for only invited members.
- One-on-one messaging. Have side conversations with your teammates. You’ll have chat history and file sharing to help you keep track.
- Notifications. Customize HipChat alerts with sounds, flashes, and pop-ups. Get someone’s attention by typing @name.
- Chat and file history. HipChat automatically saves your conversations and files. Never forget who said what, and when. Access history anywhere you have internet
- Emoticons. Express yourself using emoticons.
- Spell checking. HipChat will keep you from embarrassing yourself in front of your team members (at least spelling-wise).
- … explore additional features on the HipChat website
If you are interested in checking out the service, it is free for 30 days and you can sign-up here.Congratulations to the team! It is great to see another company targeting the enterprise with a service that includes an AIR application.