Adobe is pleased to announce the immediate availability of Adobe AIR 2.6 for Android smartphones and tablets. AIR 2.6 for Android adds support for Android 3.0 and the latest Android tablet devices – including the Motorola Xoom – as well as improvements to performance and GPU-based rendering, updated Android gesture support, and improved handling of HTML content within AIR apps.
AIR 2.6 for Android provides the foundation for the new Content Viewer for Android, part of Digital Publishing Suite. Content Viewer for Android uses AIR 2.6 to enable publishers to author immersive, engaging publications and deploy content across platforms and different devices. Major publishers using Digital Publishing Suite are on board to create and distribute content using Content Viewer for Android. Condé Nast, National Geographic and Dennis Publishing are among the first publishers to indicate they will use this new viewer to amplify the reach of their iconic titles.
AIR 2.6 for Android can be downloaded from the Android Marketplace and is available on devices running:
- Android 2.2 (FroYo)
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Android 3.0 (Honeycomb)
A list of mobile devices that meet the AIR system requirements can be found at http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/certified_devices/.
AIR 2.6 for Android performance improvements include:
- Up to 20% faster scrolling performance
- H.264 video decoding at 30fps
- GPU-based animation and games at up to 50FPS
AIR 2.6 for Android functional improvements include:
- Support for the latest Android system gestures
- Bitmap Capture for StageWebView, which provides tighter visual integration between Flash and HTML content
- Asynchronous Bitmap Decoding, which improves the performance of transitions in image-intensive applications
Applications developed with the Adobe AIR 2.5 SDK are compatible with the Adobe AIR 2.6 runtime. Adobe is on target to deliver the AIR 2.6 SDK and desktop runtime before the 2nd half of 2011.
* Tell us about your AIR app for Android after you’ve posted to the Android Market at firstname.lastname@example.org