March 19, 2010 /

Create EPUB eBooks with Adobe InDesign

I haven’t mentioned this on this blog before, but wanted to point out the resources on Adobe.com on how to create EPUB eBooks using Adobe InDesign.  We’ve produced some guides on creating eBooks in InDesign, including an overview of the EPUB workflow in the software, answers to commonly asked questions, and how to work with images.  These how-to EPUB authoring guides are available on Adobe.com.  While you’re there, check out the tutorial videos on Adobe TV that explain how to create EPUB, information about the EPUB specification, and where to find information about eBooks elsewhere on Adobe.com (like the InDesign help pages and the Digital Publishing Technology Center)

EPUB authoring resources:

Also – I’m looking at developing more guides on creating EPUB eBooks and would like your feedback.  What topics would you like to see covered?  What is most challenging about authoring EPUB for you?  Leave a comment on this post and I’ll review it for possible inclusion in our next set of guides on how-to create EPUB.

create_epub.jpg

Uncategorized

Comments

• […] Popular resources for creating EPUB files include Smashwords’ Meatgrinder, Calibre, and Stanza. Adobe InDesign, popular amongst book designers, can also be used to create EPUB […]

• By HoosierJoe - 3:40 PM on August 18, 2013

So far as I can tell, this website no longer offers tutorials or white papers on ePub conversion from CS5, just a link to Creative Cloud. Ought to be updated.

• By Me - 5:37 PM on June 20, 2013

I see the links have been broken for a year.

Dave Dickson: are you still reading this page?

• By Me - 5:34 PM on June 20, 2013

All links are broken!!!!!!!!

• By J - 9:24 AM on May 30, 2013

None of these links appear to work anymore. They all go to creative cloud. Can someone fix them???

• By Forte Douglas - 3:09 AM on April 24, 2013

Being a technical person I was looking for long time how one can do Indesign to ePub conversion and your post is quite helpful in that direction. The facts and things you have shown here are quite great stuff on Indesign to ePub Conversion.

• By carolyn crampton - 1:18 PM on April 2, 2013

I can’t understand why Adobe has all these broken links such as at the top of this page.

I would like more info on fixed layout: what are the resolutions I should have, 72dpi for everything or higher?

Does an existing publication set up for print need to be entirely reconfigured before making the folio or will indesign do some conversions?

Does the section start feature start on the right (print) or the left?

Do I still need to break the doc up into separate pages as Apple says and have all the images inline?

thanks

• By Daniel O'Brien - 10:02 AM on March 12, 2013

I think that I have successfully converted my print book to ebook specifications for Smashwords. I want to see how this ebook would look. Does Adobe offer any free downloads to allow this?

• By cmon - 10:53 AM on February 27, 2013

any fix for any of the links on this page? Such a bummer to finally think you’ve found a resource that isn’t a video only to have the links not work.

• By deena - 2:20 PM on February 10, 2013

Hi, we are laying out our books in InDesign and the printed versions look great, but the ePUB versions don’t look as crisp and look blurry. How can I improve the overall quality of my ePUB so the quality of the text and graphics isn’t compromised.

• By mparadis - 2:07 PM on September 5, 2012

Hi, I work for a publishing house. We are currently learning to convert our paper books in ebooks (epub format), using InDesign CS 5.5. We will soon install CS6. Is DPS a good investment for ebooks generation or is it optimal with magazines ?
    Also, are .folio only readable on Apple devices ?
    Many thanks !

• By Ravi Dugal - 2:34 AM on February 7, 2013

On flipick.com (currently in beta), you can find a InDesign CS5.5 plugin on Mac for automated conversion from InDesign to ePub3 with fixed layout.

• By Bob Powers - 11:29 PM on August 30, 2012

In preparing a French phrasebook in dictionary format with In-Design 5.5, I have to indent all lines under the main entry word. This I do with the “Indent to Here” feature, which works fine. However, when I export the ID file to EPUB, the indents I’ve painstakingly made are totally ignored, and everything winds up on the left margin. What do I need to do to retain the indents?

• By Learn to make eBooks from InDesign « Matt Maldre - 11:44 PM on August 10, 2012

[…] Adobe’s eBook intro page. http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/2010/03/create_epub_ebooks_with_adobe_indesign.html – Has a bunch of broken […]

• By mattmaldre - 8:53 PM on August 10, 2012
  • […] course designers can use the Adobe Creative Suite InDesign to create ePubs and the Adobe Digital Publishing […]

• By Lauren - 6:45 PM on May 8, 2012

I just want to thank you for being here and for helping me feel less overwhelmed by your comforting Title ~ Create EPUB eBooks with Adobe InDesign. Yesterday, for my Birthday, my guy got me Adobe which I had wanted for a long time. It’s so cool looking but I have no clue where to start – even reading the possible Tutorial classes is feeling like overwhelming homework:) So..I thought , “Hey, I have been wanting to write that little childrens simple ebook for so long so sort of feeling like a child looking at my first math problem…I somehow landed here. Hope you don’t mind if I just sorta hang here for awhile until I get more courage. Thanks

• By Grover - 6:17 PM on April 26, 2012

Since you asked, I’d love to see more on how to include multimedia and interactivity beyond just playing audio or video files from a link within the ePub. The kind of thing I have in mind is for example a word randomizer or a built-in quiz or a simple app to create a tally at the push of a button and send it via e-mail or IM or, say, a simulated coin toss. I know these can be pretty easily built using Flash/Shockwave. The question is can such interactivity be ported to any kind of ebook especially given that Macs and Flash don’t mix.

• By Ralph Schmidt - 4:32 PM on December 27, 2011

My starting file is in word 2008 I copied it to Pages.

How can I best get it to be an iBook?

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 10:39 PM on January 11, 2012

Hey Ralph, it sounds like this is a question that Apple can help you with?

• By Maybray Digital - 9:15 AM on November 24, 2011

Great stuff. But some of the links you have provided are broken or non-existing.

• By Robert - 8:12 AM on October 24, 2011

‘I am writing to ask for your help please. We currently have E-format maths books in PDF and we would like to be able to convert them to E-Pub with DRM and search facility automatically embedded.
    We can provide a sample of our material. Can you please say first of all if you have software that would be capable of converting to E-Pub with DRM and search built in? We know from experience that the mathematical symbols etc can cause problems. If you could run our free sample successfully then hopefully that should be a sufficient test.

Can you please advise me of the cost of the E-Pub conversion software?

Many thanks,

Regards,

Robert Dobbin

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 7:53 PM on December 12, 2011

Hi Robert, You can export EPUB files from InDesign, but InDesign does not include DRM options. You would need to use a different tool to apply DRM to the exported EPUB. Hope that helps!

• By A - 10:56 PM on June 23, 2012

Apparently a lot has changed since December. When I export files to EPUB format they’re automatically restricted with DRM.

• By Manish Rai - 5:23 AM on August 9, 2011

if i have my content written in text or word format how can i change it into indd format,without it importing document results in incompatibility,please help i am new to this.

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 10:10 PM on September 27, 2011

Hi Manish, Please bring your question over to our DPS forums for help from the team: http://forums.adobe.com/community/dps. Thanks for reaching out!

• By Joanne - 4:13 PM on May 25, 2011

Clicked on “Producing EPUB eBooks from InDesign: How-to guides” and the address is no longer there with the PDFs.
    Anyone know where I can download these pds again?

• By Joanne - 8:43 PM on May 26, 2011

seriously, this page has nothing but broken links!

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Admin - 9:05 PM on June 2, 2011

Hi Joanne, Thanks for letting us know! We are working on fixing this asap.

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Admin - 9:14 PM on June 2, 2011

Hi Joanne, Thanks for letting us know. We are working on updating these links. In the meantime you can find many of our PDFs if you scroll to the bottom of this page: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalpublishing.html. Thanks for reaching out.

• By Rachel Rowan - 4:18 PM on September 12, 2012

Adobe Digital Publishing, can you please give us a specific link at the bottom on the page? I still don’t see the Producing EPUB eBooks from InDesign: How-to guides.

• By Steve - 4:41 AM on January 17, 2013

Still broken links, not very good is it!?

• By JOn - 7:04 PM on April 21, 2011

Guys im looking to the adobe package that will allow me to turn my word document into a very secure PDF document. Ideally dont want to pay $700 for a program I wont even use half of. Can anyone recommend please?
    Jon @southwest6@msn.com

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Admin - 12:02 AM on May 3, 2011

Hi Jon- Digital Publishing Suite is for publishing to tablet devices. If you are looking for Word to PDF conversion you may look at Adobe Acrobat http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat.html

• By Ram Ashish - 10:27 AM on March 22, 2011

Thank you for such valuable service. This is great resource for me

• By Trishna Rodriguez - 12:37 PM on October 21, 2010

I found this article while hunting down how to publish digitally, like what they were able to do with the .issue file type on wired magazine. I would really like to see something about that, it seems like similar features are used plus the options to use animations and videos is there, similar to the .issue. Thank you

• By sallyslc - 1:34 PM on March 21, 2010

Thank you for the ebook resources. I find working with master page items a challenge, since I encourage my students to use master pages when working with long documents. Since InDesign ignores master page items when creating ebooks, I would love any tips you have on preparing the docs for ebook publishing. Thanks.