November 11, 2010 /

Martha Stewart Living – reimagined for iPad

Martha Stewart Living, one of the world’s most recognized consumer lifestyle titles, today launched a new special edition of the magazine created with Adobe Digital Publishing Suite.  Celebrating the magazine’s twentieth anniversary, the “Boundless Beauty” special edition includes content created especially for iPad.  The issue includes an Alaskan narrative with immersive photography, panoramic photographs of Martha’s garden, a live display of Martha’s Twitter feed, step-by-step “how to” slideshows, and a beautiful animated cover.  Previewed last month at Adobe MAX, the cover features 180 photos taken over a period of 10 hours and animated to show the flower blooming. The experience also features immersive advertisements that deepen user engagement and allow sustained interaction with a brand.

Gael Towey, Chief Creative and Editorial Director at Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, notes that the app pushes the boundary of design on tablet devices. “The launch of our new digital magazine is an exciting moment for us,” said Towey. “Our app is the culmination of a tremendous creative effort as we worked closely with Adobe to push the limits of what is possible on the new tablet devices.”

Earlier, we visited Martha Stewart Living headquarters to get a sense of how they designed content for the digital experience and what role the Digital Publishing Suite played.  Learn more in this short video below:

Adobe Digital Publishing Suite allows publishers like Martha Stewart preserve their meticulously crafted brand and have a direct relationship with their readers.  To date, Digital Publishing Suite has been used to create wide ranging types of content – including highly designed monthlies like WIRED, text-intensive weeklies like The New Yorker, and now specialized lifestyle content like Martha Stewart Living. Digital Publishing Suite includes the ability to use PDF and HTML as options for article content in order to optimize production workflows and streamline file sizes.

Digital Publishing Suite will be available generally in Q2 2011.  Publishers can begin creating content for commercial deployment today using a beta version of the tools.  Access the tools by registering for the Digital Magazine Publishing prerelease program at http://www.adobe.com/beta or download them on Adobe Labs.

Learn more

Uncategorized

Comments

• By gra o tron - 11:22 AM on April 22, 2013

Great, thanks ;)

• […] I thought I’d post a link to the Martha Stewart video I mentioned. Back in 2010, Adobe posted information (including a short video) on their website that provided an overview of how Martha Stewart’s […]

• By The Death of Print Media? | Merge - 9:19 PM on May 3, 2012

[…] and digital distribution also means a significant cost increase. Applications like the Martha Stewart app or the Popular Science app are serialized, subscriber friendly, branded applications with monthly […]

• By Kvisoft - 6:20 AM on December 23, 2011

Seeing the flowers blooming is amazing. I do appreciate such work.

• By LUIS JARAMILLO - 7:23 PM on November 24, 2011

Just wonderful, extraordinary, is a new world for the people that like the art and beauty
    thanks for sharing

• By shaji - 6:29 AM on October 5, 2011

This is Very Good Programming

• By Al Glick - 2:19 AM on September 10, 2011

I contract with a firm that is having me investigate the many uses of the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite. They need to have easy access to documents and video in the field during an oil spill cleanup.

BioWorld has a proven bioremediation technology that degrades hydrocarbons very rapidly – 1 to 60 days depending on several factors. The Adobe product can assist with the application method where the local people will be using aircraft, water vessels and land vehicles with spraying equipment attached. The BioWorld Bioremediation Method was fully tested by independent laboratories using specific USEPA protocols.

The BioWorld Method was used in the Prestige oil spill cleanup in Spain after the tanker leaked out Bunker “C” heavy oil in 2002. BioWorld was prepared to assist in the San Francisco Bay oil spill in 2008 but the EPA testing was not complete.

The Deepwater Horizon crude oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico continues to cause challenges for the mechanical cleanup using soaker pads, booms, vacuums, dispersants, A Whale, and many other systems that each had major problems. Once again, BioWorld had additional testing at LSU that was ordered by the EPA spill managers.

The BioWorld Bioremediation products had 100% biodegradation of the alkanes and a 85.1% reduction in PAHs in less than 28 days. BioWorld has been proven to be the most effective technology for oil spill cleanup yet there were 18 various Agencies, including state and Federal, where people were to decide on using bioremediation based on old information and where several rudimentary types of bioremediation using fertilizers on the Valdez oil spill back in 1989.

At this point in time, the area continues to have oil in locations that are difficult to reach for the mechanical cleanup ways but are relatively easy to have the BioWorld applied by using airplanes, helicopters or by small boats.

The Adobe will be used to build the documentation of the past oil spill and have training ready to go for any future events. You can follow them at http://www.bioworldusa.com/ This company and several other firms I contract with can have a professional appearance with their information using the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite.

Thank you Adobe for having great programs for my clients to use!

• By Bonnie Wheeler - 8:46 AM on June 28, 2011

OutI’m getting prepared to start a new business called Preferred Custom Clothiers.(for small dogs.) I am really looking forward to be able to learn all I CAN IN ORDER To utilize this astounding Adobe Technology in the near future. I think its fabulous that we’ve become so technologically advanced to actually have what Adobe is offering us, right at our fingertips. I wish many times over that my grandparents and even my parents would be able to see Adobes accomplishments. Thank You Kindly,
    Bonnie M.Wheeler

• By Angela - 6:19 PM on April 8, 2011

Very cool! I don’t have an iPad. I chose the Nook. Hopefully, this digital mag will be available on multiple platforms including the Nook! I am a subscriber to Living. Martha is keep up with the times and I totally appreciate that aspect of the brand!!

• By Est Magazine: Gorgeous New e-Magazine « DIGS - 5:30 AM on March 31, 2011

[…] want to see “behind the scenes” of articles for instance, or exclusive content. I think this video from Martha Stewart Living and Adobe explains exactly what I mean by all of this… it’s […]

• By Martha Stewart Living- reimaged for iPad | Spazio - 2:59 PM on March 12, 2011

[…] to the article – Click here This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. ← User Experience Books […]

• By les - 6:25 PM on March 9, 2011

That’s why we have libraries. Because everybody can’t afford every book, magazine, newspaper, etc. whether it’s the paper or digital edition. Most public libraries enable you to access e-books. I hope there will be this capability for high priced, glossy publications like Martha Stewart Living.

• […] sure you’ve heard about the Wired, Martha Stewart, and New Yorker magazines on iPad, right? Those were created with a new suite of tools that […]

• By Nat - 9:34 PM on December 30, 2010

But you can make that argument about many things, cars, education, meals in restaurants, and on and on. The world can not stop innovating because everyone can not afford everything.

A percentage of the worlds population will never have access to or be able to afford a telephone. Do we stop communication altogether?

• By LSP - 9:17 PM on December 7, 2010

My only problem with ereaders, IPads, etc. is that if you can’t afford all the apps, fees, etc. that goes along with having these devices, how will those people be able to enjoy reading whether it be in a newspaper, book, or magazine? Not fair if you ask me…..

• By Jairo - 10:08 PM on November 11, 2010

I wish I was able to watch the video about iPad in my iPad :'(