NEW Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, Single Edition announced!

Post by Annemarie Beliard, Product Marketing Manager, Adobe InDesign and Digital Publishing Suite, Single Edition

Today during the MAX Keynote, Adobe announced Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, Single Edition, the newest addition to the Digital Publishing Suite product family. Single Edition is an ideal fit for freelance designers, small businesses and design firms who need to publish content including brochures, highly-visual books, annual reports, or a personal design portfolio to the Apple iPad.

The Single Edition offering truly democratizes publishing – it allows customers to publish a single, custom iPad app for a one-time payment of US$395.  Bottom line- it’s affordable.

“Adobe Digital Publishing Suite opens up a lot of creative possibilities for us in the mobile and tablet space, enabling us to take advantage of the fun qualities of mobile devices—vertical and horizontal views, accelerometer, compass, and more. Being on a tablet is a competitive differentiator and Adobe designed a solution that is hands-down the easiest way to get in the game.”
– Dan Marcolina, founder, Marcolina Design and Marcolina Slate

How does Single Edition work?
Use familiar InDesign CS5.5 tools to design a page layout. Then use the Folio Producer tools in InDesign CS5.5 to add engaging, interactive elements such as 360 object rotation, image panoramas and to preview the digital content on your desktop or tablet device.  To publish to the iPad, access and purchase Single Edition on the Adobe.com store.  Because the work takes place in InDesign, this means that the designer owns and manages the entire workflow – from design to publication – without writing code or depending on a developer.

To see interactive elements used thoughtfully, take a look at this app that was created by Gary Higginbotham, a one-man graphic design team at Alan Mascord Design Associates – a Portland-based home design company. They created an engaging, interactive brochure called Mascord Living Spaces.

“With Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, design and production works seamlessly. Adobe offers a superb level of integration between content creation and digital publishing tools. Now, with Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Single Edition, it’s even simpler for a small business to reach out to customers in exciting, affordable ways.”
– Gary Higginbotham, director of marketing, Alan Mascord Design Associates, Inc.

Can’t wait to try this?
The Single Edition service will be available soon.  In the meantime, if you have InDesign CS4 or earlier then now would be a good time to upgrade to InDesign CS5.5. Also, now is a great time to get your InDesign files ready, and start adding engaging interactivity – like audio, video, slideshows, 360 degree views, etc.  A little known fact is that once you have InDesign CS5 or CS5.5, you can share an unlimited number of folios with colleagues and other stakeholders via the dashboard in InDesign.  Here is more information. This is a great way to try out DPS and practice.

Also, Adobe also announced that Digital Publishing Suite, Professional Edition will be available as a monthly subscription at US$495/month.

Single Edition for iPad and Professional Edition, Monthly should be available in North America at the end of November. They will be available in other geographies in 2012 – stay tuned for more specific information.

For more information, visit: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitalpublishingsuite/

COMMENTS

• By Mick Farmer - 1:18 PM on August 1, 2012

Wanted to check I have understood correctly. I will be publishing Study Guides for a College. Is it 395 US dollars for each publication I produce? Is there a limit to the number of times it can be downloaded? Each Study Guide requires minor updates each year. Would I have to pay 395 dollars to update and publish an existing Study Guide?

• By muneer - 4:37 PM on July 2, 2012

please is single edition available in Saudi

• By muneer - 3:21 PM on July 2, 2012

please can can you tell me is DPS single edition available in Saudi Arabia.if no is there any way to get single edition. thanks

• By Adam - 3:37 AM on May 7, 2012

Love all ADOBE, but why make so expensive for people to enter iPad or other devices. I was thinking about DPS Single Edition and I found answer to my question above. Each time one wants to publish e-Book or Magazine, one must pay $395 (price in US). I have a client who wants to have his magazine available on iPad and he told me that he wants to have new updated issue 4 times a year. I`m afraid he wouldn`t pay each time $395 in addition to my work and it`s obvious I`m not going to pay for it either. Is there any way you can make this available for wider audience?

• By Rubye Sattlefield - 6:19 PM on February 15, 2012

Thanks for a tremendous submit, will study your personal others content. thank you your thoughts on this, I soon became somewhat struck by this short article. Thanks again! You commit a terrific moment. Has excellent data here. I feel if a greater number of people thought about it like this, they’d have a very better time frame have the suspend ofing the issue.

• By Cortney Sprow - 8:48 PM on December 29, 2011

Thanks for this glorious article. One other thing is that many digital cameras come equipped with a new zoom lens that permits more or less of any scene being included by way of ‘zooming’ in and out. These changes in the aim length will be reflected within the viewfinder and on big display screen at the back of this camera.

• By Lauro Santos - 1:55 PM on November 14, 2011

I understand that I can publish an edition, but I wonder if you have a download limit. I saw that in the Professional and Enterprise has download limit for files folio

• By MHD - 7:28 AM on November 6, 2011

I NEED TO ADOBE DIGITAL PUBLISHING SUITE. VERY VERY NESSECERY

• By MHD - 7:25 AM on November 6, 2011

how download this? plz help to me

• By staale Bjerke - 5:03 PM on October 23, 2011

Is is possible to update the publication, for example you want to change page 4 in the app ?

• By Gilberto Balderas - 9:05 PM on October 4, 2011

Great news; I was already thinking about other choices, and learn new plugins, :-)

• By Vivienne Wells - 3:48 PM on October 4, 2011

Please clarify. Would I need to pay $395 for each one of the ebooks that I want to publish? And do I then need to go through the ibook store?

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 12:39 AM on October 5, 2011

Hi Vivienne, With Single Edition, you would need to pay $395 for each book (application) that you want to publish to the Apple App Store via Adobe Digital Publishing Suite. If you want to publish an ebook to the ibook store, that is an EPUB workflow. Hope that helps to answer your question. Thanks for following our blog!

• By Albert - 7:42 AM on October 4, 2011

How does it come it takes longer before release outside of USA?

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 12:39 AM on October 5, 2011

Hey there Albert, We are working as hard as possible to make this solution available in all regions as quickly as possible and hope to make it available more broadly by Q1 2012. Thanks for your interest!

• By Sandra - 7:48 PM on October 3, 2011

Hi, there is something i did not understand. Is one pay but, for how long my content will be online? (sorry my english)
    thanks!

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 9:32 PM on October 4, 2011

Hi Sandra, With Single Edition, the content stays on the app store as long as the publisher and/or Apple let it. This is because with Single Edition, the content is compiled into the application and the content within the app is never divorced from the app. Please note, however, that multi-issue apps, which can be built with Professional Edition and Enterprise Edition, work differently since in those apps, the content can be updated and is not compiled into the application as it is with Single Edition. Hope that helps! Thanks for asking.

• By Neil - 6:29 PM on October 3, 2011

What about EDUCATION pricing. QuarkXpress has announced education pricing for their Quark Studio App. It only costs about $50 to publish an app to the Apple App store. But with Adobe – there is NO education pricing. It costs a whopping $395. Is Adobe going to introduce education pricing for the DPS so that students can publish apps?

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 5:15 PM on October 4, 2011

Hi Neil, Adobe is committed to making all products available to Education customers and we are exploring the possibility of offering EDU pricing. Thanks for your interest & reaching out here.

• By Sajid Holy - 5:56 PM on October 3, 2011