November 8, 2012
Digital Publishing Suite, Release 24, is now live. We are excited to announce support for new devices, analytics on end user behavior, and improvements to the publishing workflow and reading experience. For more detail on any of the features, visit the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Help Site, hosted by Bob Bringhurst.
REACH MORE READERS: EXPANDED DEVICE SUPPORT
Support for iPad Mini
DPS apps built for iPad2 will automatically work for iPad Mini. With no extra effort, your app will be available for iPad Mini users as well. This benefits our Single Edition customers, as well as Pro and Enterprise.
Support for Kindle Fire HD 8.9” Device
The Kindle Fire HD 8.9” device is planned to ship on November 20th, and your publication can be immediately available for early adopters. In order to target the device, designers can develop a 1920×1200 folio.
Web Viewer on Windows 8
If you use social sharing, articles shared by your readers can be viewed on Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8 web browsers.
IMPROVEMENTS FOR READERS
Folio Download in the Background
Your readers can now download a folio, leave the app, and do other activities on their iOS devices (check email, play Angry Birds) while the folio finishes downloading. Publishers must update the app to R24 in order for this to work.
UNDERSTAND YOUR AUDIENCE WITH NEW ANALYTICS
Track Reader Behavior
For Site Catalyst users: Find out how long readers are using your app, the number of times they are opening it, total days spent reading, as well as peak usage hours. See a sample “App Usage” chart below.
URL Navigation Tracking
For Site Catalyst users: Track the number of readers that click on URLs associated with hyperlink overlays (e.g. “Buy now” button) and web content overlays (e.g. Twitter feed) and also understand how people are opening the URLs (in Device Browser or in app Viewer or in Webview). Now you can tell advertisers how many people opened up their website within the app or clicked on a link in a web content overlay. The chart below provides a sample of URL tracking.
Track User Device and Operating System
New analytics will show the devices and operating systems that are being used by readers to download your publication. Data will be broken down by the following information. See the chart below for a sample.
- Device type (e.g. mobile phone, tablet)
- Devices (e.g. Apple iPad, Amazon Kindle Fire)
- Device name (iPad 2, iPad 2 CDMA/GPS)
- Manufacturer (e.g. Apple, Samsung)
- Operating System (e.g. iOS, Android)
- OS Version (e.g. iOS 5.11, Android 3.2)
- Connection Type (e.g. LAN/Wifi, Mobile Carrier)
- Carrier Name (e.g. AT&T)
- Screen Size (height & width)
When it is time to renew your DPS license, you will be able to update your account through the reseller you purchased from or if you purchased online you can renew on adobe.com.
Workflow Enhancements for Designers
The engineering team has made several changes to improve workflow efficiency for your designers:
1) They can update multiple articles at once, instead of needing to update a single article at a time
2) If a folio fails to publish due to server error, the publishing process resumes from the point where it stopped publishing.
3) Folio Builder UI enhancements force designers to select the folio orientation before proceeding. This helps prevent publishing issues down the road.
4) Error messages now point designers to Knowledge Base articles to aid in troubleshooting.
Workflow Enhancement for Enterprise Developers
You can now sign an in-house application with an enterprise mobile provision file that contains an explicit (non-wildcard) application ID. This change lets you manage the application independently from other apps in your organization.
- Publishers can disable the Cover view in the iPad viewer library
- The dialog box that asks readers to restore purchases has been eliminated. Readers can restore purchases using a button in the top right-hand corner.
- Publishers that distribute private publications can remove an app from the collection without removing others.
Visit Bob Bringhurst’s site for details on any of the new features.