Acrobat: PDF Printer missing after installation on Windows 64-Bit

Issue

If you have installed Adobe Acrobat on a Windows 64-bit OS, you may notice that the Adobe PDF printer has not been installed.  During the installation you may have received an error similar to the following:

Please note that the Adobe PDF Printer functionality to create PDF files  is only available with Adobe Acrobat (paid version), and not with Adobe Reader (free version).

Solution 1

Repair the Acrobat installation using the option in the Help menu.

Solution 2

Uninstall and then re-install Acrobat on your Windows OS.

Solution 3

Manually install the PDF Printer

• Click Start >  Control Panel > Devices and Printers
  • Select Add a printer
  • Select Add a local printer
  • Check Use an existing port and select Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) from the drop down.  Click Next
  • Click the Have Disk… button
  • Click the Browse… button
  • Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF
  • Select AdobePDF.inf from the list if using Acrobat Pro, or AdobePDFstd.inf if using Acrobat Std, then click the OK button
  • You will see many Adobe PDF Converters in the list, however count six down from the top and click Next (you may need to try this numerous times to find the correct Converter from the list that works with your version of Windows)
  • Name your printer, e.g. Adobe PDF
  • Follow the rest of the prompts and your PDF printer should now be installed correctly

If you are later prompted for the ADPDF9.PPD file, it can be found in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF\<OS version> folders.

Additional Information

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Was this helpful? Please rate the content.
Rating: 6.0/10 (106 votes cast)
Acrobat: PDF Printer missing after installation on Windows 64-Bit, 6.0 out of 10 based on 106 ratings

21 Responses to Acrobat: PDF Printer missing after installation on Windows 64-Bit

1. Pingback: Acrobat: PDF Printer missing after installation on … – Adobe Blogs | Penny Stocks

2. EK 2012 says:

This is a great website!!! I like your website very much and I’ll subscripe to it if you post more articles like this! Do you like EK Voetbal or do you wanna know the EK uitslagen take a look on my profile!

3. Pingback: Acrobat: PDF Printer missing after installation on Windows 64-Bit … - pdf-printer

4. Pingback: “The document could not be printed” and PDF repair | fast printer repairs and Servicing

5. Wai Lock says:

Hi, I am using Windows Vista Enterprise and Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.1.2 .
    I uninstall and install back, the printer is not come out.
    I try to install the driver manually, still the same problem.
    I have already try all the solution you provided but still have the error issue.
    Any solution?

6. Wendy says:

Tried this on 10.1 . C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF does not appear.

I have C:\Program Files (x86)\AReader9.0/Reader/ there is no XTRAS

Uninstalled and tried 9.0 still same menu. no XTRAS.

• dmcmahon says:

The Adobe PDF Printer is only available with Adobe Acrobat (paid version), and not with Adobe Reader (free version). You will only have the Xtras folder, under the Acrobat directory, if you have Acrobat installed.

I have updated the blog post above to reflect this.

7. Hans Petit says:

I tried to install the printer as you described. Windos keeps telling me something about the wrong architecture. By the way: first I reinstalled Acrobat X, after warnings about illegal installation copies (DVERTTL.DLL). The software I own is legal and registered. I’m well portected: windows firewal and AVG anti virussoftware. (+ the protection my proivider build in his router) Before the reinstallation the printer was visible in the printermenu.

• dmcmahon says:

If the solutions above did not work for you, it sounds like it might be an environmental issue on your computer. I am not sure what might be causing an error in Windows and it will be difficult to debug through blog comments.

I would request you to post the issue to our forums, including screenshots/details of the error you get trying to install the printer, the exact version of Acrobat, and the machine/OS details. It will be easier to format the problem description and follow the thread in the forums. These forums are monitored by our Acrobat experts and community, and I can also respond there.

The forums URL is: http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat

8. Jay says:

Thank you very much. I was abel to add the printer successfully. I really greatley appreciate your support on this issue. I used your solution 3. It was straight forward and took only about 2 – 3 minutes. Done.
    Thanks again.

jay

9. fireflight says:

Fantastic walkthrough! Two minutes and done! Thank you!

10. sunshinec says:

you’re the Best!!! Thanks :)

11. Peter Van Ostaeyen says:

Solution worked very well! Counting six down from the top was the hardest part, thanks.

12. joseph says:

I have done this but the problem come again,so this post was not good for me…

13. Jim McCoy says:

Thanks
    Worked Good

14. Pingback: Acrobat: PDF Printer missing after installation on Windows 64-Bit | defaultlogin

15. Yury says:

Unfortunatelly, no such option “Documents\*…..” available in the drop down menu. I have Win 7 Pro and just downloaded Acrobat 7 Pro, My error message in the popup window starts out as Warning 20225…

May be I should create a new local port? The only local port I see that has anything to do with PDF is “NITRO PDF Port:(Local Port)”

Thanks

• dmcmahon says:

Acrobat 7 is a very old version and no longer supported. I don’t think it was even supported on 64-bit Windows versions. If you are using a recent version of Windows like Win7, then you will need a recent version of Acrobat also (like Acrobat XI, i.e. version 11).

16. Ken says:

Had to adjust some, but this allowed me to figure it out. Thanks.

17. David says:

I have tried to do this method several times and I still cannot get PDF Printer to load on my Windows 7 64 bit with Licensed version of Acrobat X Pro I purchased a few months ago. This worked until a few weeks ago but is now out of Printer options. The rest of Acrobat works but no PDF Printer available. Do you have any other options available?