The standard Adobe Acrobat and Reader installer, which are available for download on Adobe.com, and the installer for Adobe Reader MUI, include AIR. (There are separate installers for Acrobat and Reader that don’t install AIR, see ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader)
- The AIR-Installer is included automatically and starts in a separate process after the Reader MSI is installed. If the installation of any subsequent MSP patches starts too quickly after the MSI installation, then you receive an error as the AIR installer starts. You can work around this with a short delay in your installation routine between the MSI and MSP installers.
- The AIR installation remains on the machine even after Reader is uninstalled and has to be removed separately. (There is no option to disable it.)
- After AIR is installed, it requires an automatic update to be installed from the internet. Machines that do not have internet access cannot get this update.
If you don’t want to install AIR, you have two options to disable the AIR installer from the Adobe Reader installation package:
- Using the msiexec parameter “DISABLE_AIR_SHARE=YES” For example: msiexec /i Acroread.msi /qb DISABLE_AIR_SHARE=YES
- Using Customization Wizard/Orca, you can modify the installation package itself and remove the reference to AIR. (Only for experienced users)