An Early View Into the Next Generation Of Dreamweaver

Over the past 12 months we have been hard at work on the next version of Dreamweaver and today we’re excited to give you a first look. One particular feature we want to share is the new CSS Designer. The CSS Designer provides a visual interface that lets you quickly and intuitively work with CSS properties such as gradients, box shadows, and more. It also gives you the ability to visually create and apply different media queries for web content to be presented in different screen sizes.

CSS Designer Tools

CSS Designer Tools

Check out this video from our product manager Alejandro Gutierrez to see it in action:

As we have added new features, we have also begun reviewing the features that were integrated during the 15 years since Dreamweaver was released. What we found was that some of the features support web technologies that are no longer relevant for most Dreamweaver customers. We have decided to focus on modernizing Dreamweaver and streamlining the user interface by removing these older features. We have removed the Bindings, Server Behaviors, Components, and Databases panel, as well as Spry, Browser Compatibility Check, and a few others. Some of these items will be available as extensions for customers who still rely on these features. As we move forward we will continue to focus Dreamweaver on modern web standards and technologies including HTML5, jQuery, and more.

Make sure you check out Adobe MAX, where you can learn more about what’s coming next for Dreamweaver and for the rest of Adobe’s creative tools.

• Hmm – would be really nice to see the new things on the video, but its no longer available.
    Wh? The post is from yesterday and now not available? Very sad :/

• Please, make an optional dark layout for code view!!!! Lots of eyes will be very grateful.

Thank you.

• Patrice Olivier-Wilson says:

“We have removed the Bindings, Server Behaviors, Components, and Databases panel,”

:-( Not good news.

• I worked with Dreamweaver ten years ago. Since then, there have been many new web development apps on the market. I will be developing a site next month. Why should I choose Dreamweaver over a different app?

Thanks

• Without server behaviors, Dreamweaver will become a simple css editor… the most expensive css editor in the world!!!

• Truly spoken Michele! The promise is that people who rely on these things will be able to install them as extensions. Its probably best to stick with your last version (5.5 or even 6) if you can, though how long these will continue to work I’m not sure. You get less and less for your money at Adobe these days.

• I waite fore the release date.
    The CSS designer seems to be cool.
    I allso look foreward to see the html5 designer in it, and hov easy it will be to convert from older html sites, as I run 50 old sites, including more than 3000 pages..

• Christian Salway says:

I hope you’ve updated Version Control to use the latest subversion client !!

• When will these new features be available to Cloud subscribers?

• Andrew Gray says:

We have removed the Bindings, Server Behaviors, Components, and Databases panel.
    haha…good one…obviously due to time zone differences was posted on April 1 right?

• I am at a complete loss as to the direction that is being taken with “improvements” to Dreamweaver.
    To be frank. If I had known what I know today I would have NEVER taken the Cloud option for CS6.
    My issues surrounds the REMOVAL of features in Dreamweaver BEFORE the next major release.
    It simply should not happen.

Adding features is a nice benefit before a major release. Thank you very much. But to withdraw features such as the Expanded Tables Mode (subsequently returned after a hue-and-cry) and now the ability to drag-and-drop dynamic data to Code View is completely unforgivable to a paying customer.

My workflow is constantly been interrupted since the release of CS6 Cloud and its now irritating updates.

I am now forced to juggle Dreamweaver CS5 and CS6, switching back and forth, to enable development using the features I paid for but now not available on one code base. Simply Crazy.

The latest decision to remove the Bindings, Server Behaviors, Components, and Databases panel is totally baffling. This is one of the major reasons why I use Dreamweaver.

From what I have read I am led to believe that these may or may not be available as an extension.
    Needless to say if they are not it will be goodbye Adobe. The relevance of Dreamweaver will itself have been removed.

AndyG.

• “…removed the Bindings, Server Behaviors, Components, and Databases panel…”

I can’t imagine carrying on without these features and I’m in a genuine panic over this news! I’ve built a career on using Dreamweaver to create and maintain ASP and then PHP applications. This is the reason I have kept up with all product updates and now Creative Cloud since 2000.

Alejandro Gutierrez, please, please, please do not remove the very valuable database and application features of Dreamweaver!

• I’m really at a loss with this news. I’ve been a paying Adobe customer since 2000, always kept my software and suites up to date until last year. CS6 was very lackluster for my workflow, and now the removal of the only tools I kept Dreamweaver around for is beyond me. Rather than focus on its strengths, Adobe now wants to turn Dreamweaver into a very expensive CSS editor?

While I understand front end is the new fad, if there’s no backend to power it, the front end really doesn’t do much. Unless this article contains false information, or something incredibly impressive is announced at MAX next week, time to move on after 13 years.

• We have removed the Bindings, Server Behaviors, Components, and Databases panel, as well as Spry, Browser Compatibility Check, and a few others.

This is a shame to hear, some of those are good features which should remain in dreamweaver.

• I really do not get it.
    Server behaviors do need updating, but they are one of the core features of Dreamweaver, something you won’t find in no other software (at least to my knowledge). They are a real time-saver when creating small CRUD applications. It’s not just visual designing at stake, here, it is also about speed of coding.
    Adobe say they are listening to their customers, but it does not seem like this. As for me, I have completely lost faith in Adobe: you spend an awful lot of time and money in learning and using their products, only to get told one day that you have to do with the fact that THEY have decided to remove brilliant features you have come to love and use extensively in your daily workflow. Not everybody need to build websites the MVC way. Not everybody need to turn to slow, cumbersome, over-bloated CMSs to build a website. They are huge benefits in building simple systems as DW allow and is so good at.
    And DW is not just a visual editing tool! Its visual capabilities are a great way to speed up coding, but the strength of DW is that it allows you to code as well when you need to get your hands “dirty” to build such and such feature on a website. Without Server Behaviors in DW, tell me why I should not turn to the FREE NetBeans (which allow me to debug PHP and JS, to boot) and develop other ways to make CRUD apps fast ?
    Really I do not get the way Adobe is going… Why have they bought Macromedia for, if now they are slowly killing their best products, as Adobe are also doing with Fireworks?
    Maybe like many, it is time for me to move on and stop wasting time and money on Adobe products…

• Sylvia Glockland says:

I can’t believe that Adobe is removing server behaviors, especially database connection support, from Dreamweaver. I’ve been waiting for Dreamweaver to support the “new” mysqli extension for several years now but instead of keeping up with the times, they are going to drop database connection support altogether! This doesn’t make sense. I’m looking at alternatives to Dreamweaver now after being a loyal paying customer for 10 years. Really disappointing!

• Juan Pablo says:

Hi:

I use all day server behaviors. NOW they gone….. You need to reconsider that or you are going to loose market.

• Robert Gruenloh says:

Xavier’s comment above is spot on. My discovery of Dreamweaver several years ago at the CS3 level with its database capabilities enable me to develop a whole new aspect of my business – small volume data-driven web sites that served special needs for customers that were not addressed by major packages and services. These types of customers had a need, but did not have the budget to pay for extensive PHP coding – DW allowed me to serve these customers with fast, reliable sites. Adobe’s removal of these capabilities is certainly one of the most inexplicable actions I have ever seen from a major software company.
    This has been a wake-up call for me – you simply cannot trust these big, marketing-driven software companies to do the right thing. Years ago, Microsoft released a capability with Access called the “Access Data Project”, a direct connection between Access and SQL Server that was to be their wave of the future, positioning Access as a front-end development platform for SQL. I jumped on this and developed a couple of significant applications with it – Microsoft flushed it after about two more product revisions, leaving me and a lot of other people high and dry. Now it has happened again with Adobe. Xavier, there is no reason not to pursue NetBeans or Aptana for development. Since the 18th, when I first installed the CC version of Dreamweaver, I have reverted to my old CS3 version of Dreamweaver for the time being, cancelled my subscription to Creative Cloud, and subscribed to Lynda.com to learn the finer points of what Dreamweaver used to do for me automatically. I am betting that there will be a lot of people who will take a similar course, and I wish Adobe the best of luck in their mission to provide the world’s most expensive CSS editor. I might suggest for their next enhancement that they “deprecate” that silly WYSIWYG view so they can concentrate on more effective ways to type code …….

• You can all relax. All it takes is a little digging around. Let me instruct you on how to relieve your ailments here.

Step 1) Install Extension Manager CC from the Cloud.

Step 2) Once installed, open up Windows Explorer/Finder (for you Mac Folks). Navigate to your DW installation (keep in mind that DW is a 32 bit app) –
    C:\Progrma Files(x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CC
    OR
    Applications\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CC

Step 3) Continue to navigate the Disabled Features folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CC\configuration\DisabledFeatures
    OR
    Applications\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CC\configuration\DisabledFeatures

Step 4) Double click on the Deprecated_ServerBehaviorsPanel_Support.zxp file or right click and choose open with…, then choose extension manager cc.

Step 5) Wait for it to install.

Step 6) Open DW and click on the Windows menu item.

Step 7) Be amazed. Jump for joy. Rinse, repeat.

• Holy Mackeral says:

Hold on Joe!
    You may not be jumping for joy for too long. PHP 5.5 has deprecated the mysql() function in favor of mysqli or PDO. These will NOT be updated by Adobe and their “Disabled Features” will indeed be truly useless once hosting companies update to PHP 5.5 in the next couple of years. Meanwhile, I’m holding my breath for some REAL solutions coming soon from extension providers like DWXzone – they’re working on a nice Database Connector that not only will replace Adobe’s server behavior panels but will keep up with the times using mysqli and PDO for PHP developers.
    Boo Adobe… Yeaa DWXzone!