Dreamweaver CC: Your all-in-one tool for creating, publishing, and managing websites and mobile content

We are pleased to announce the release of a modernized and streamlined Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver CC is the all-in-one visual tool to efficiently and intuitively create, publish and manage websites and mobile content.

New in Dreamweaver CC:
Create immersive web experiences with the new CSS Designer and visually apply CSS properties such as gradients, box shadows, and more. Dreamweaver CC is committed to producing clean, web-standards code, enabling you to design without the need to hand-code.

Dreamweaver CC also includes enhancements to its responsive design framework, Fluid Grid Layouts. We’ve addressed key usability issues to improve the design workflow, and to help you visually construct and build responsive websites that render properly on multiple screen sizes and devices.

Responsive Design in Dreamweaver CC

Responsive Design in Dreamweaver CC

By removing under-utilized features in Dreamweaver, we are clearing the way to provide optimized workflows for the latest and most relevant front-end web technologies and standards. Over time we plan to evolve the Dreamweaver feature set to include relevant middle-layer and server side technologies as well. Our aim is to provide the ultimate user experience – a collection of productive and modern visual development features in a single tooling environment.

We have just begun the modernization process and invite you to voice your opinion. We are committed to taking action on customer feedback and remaining as transparent as possible about our future plans. More details will follow on what the modernization effort entails in Dreamweaver CC, and we eagerly await your feedback.

Over the past 12 months, we have been expanded Dreamweaver’s integration with many Creative Cloud services and tools. One of the many benefits to being part of the Creative Cloud is that you can access the vast and ever-growing Adobe Edge Web Fonts library. Also, with web technologies evolving rapidly, Dreamweaver CC helps you keep up by implementing features and addressing issues quickly. Creative Cloud members will receive regular updates to Dreamweaver.

Adobe Edge Web Fonts

Adobe Edge Web Fonts

Another benefit of integration with Creative Cloud is Sync: Dreamweaver CC lets you sync both site settings and preferences, streamlining your creation workflow. Sync in seconds and start creating without the need to recreate or manually copy and paste files. With Dreamweaver CC & Creative Cloud, the creative world is at your fingertips.

• Neil Martin says:

Well done – you’ve rendered Dreamweaver useless to most designers with basic development skills – which I believe is your main audience? No more bindings panel, insert/update/delete record behaviors, no way to insert dynamic text from a MySQL database, no server behaviours panel, or even a way to connect to a database.

Speechless.

• Tomas Fjetland says:

Hm, where did your web application development support go? More specifically, support for your own product Coldfusion?

I have to admit at first I had no idea where Adobe were going with all their weird but cool projects being presented as separate products. Why wasn’t this rolled into DW, I thought. But then I thought I had it figured out, that they were keeping DW as an “application development” platform, and then Muse and Edge reflow and whatnot would be for pure layout/design purposes and brackets to compete in an already overcrowded basic code editor market.

But then you go ahead and rip all the application features out of DW and I have no idea what it’s supposed to be.

I’m one of those who have been on CC for a little over a year and really thought it was great value for money for the number of apps I used. Now it seems there’s one less I need, so this is looking like a less and less attractive deal by each release…

• I too cannot believe that they have dumped all of the database stuff they had in DW, which was the reason I bought it in the first place, and subsequently moved to Creative Cloud. Maybe they could next “deprecate” that dumb GUI page design interface so people could type code more quickly. Adobe, you are idiots, and I will be looking for someplace else to spend my $49/month ………

• Dreamweaver is very slow and locks much. in system requirement of Dreamweaver CS6 was wroted that CPU:Pentium4 and RAM:512MB is minimum. my CPU is Intel dual core 2.40GHz and my RAM is 4Gb DDR2. in windows 8. but was very slow with much locking. just Microsoft Expression Web.

• this is unacceptable – no more data tools for those of us who actually develop and work with databases??? . I will still have to use CS6 and I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before Adobe dumps support for that. Just when I thought Adobe might finally be on the right track – they blow it big time. Dreamweaver was the only tool left that had all these combined tools for design and development.
    This is very hard to comprehend. I’m disgusted by Adobe’s abysmal stupidity!

• Michael K says:

YEAH! BIG THANKS FOR REMOVIN THE DATA BINDINGS!!!!!
    NOW I HAVE TO USE BOTH VERSIONS!
    I know ho to design and know CSS from scratch and I also have PHP skills and the bindings, datbase, etc. panel was a big timesaver.
    And now it’s gone!
    Great and Thanks!
    I quit the updated Cloud 2014 and use Notepad++
    How stupid!!!

• Michael K says:

EXTENSIONS
    I have purchased extension for round about USD 8000. What the hell have you guys done? Now I have to convert it and after I installed it, ther are not visible bekause THER ARE NO PHP PANEL ANYMORE!
    Holy cow!

Really – Thank you for this useless update on Dreamweaver and thank you that I have to use now both versions. Thank you very much Adobe. I quit!

• Yes, all the features in the new Dreamweaver CC are great – so long as all you don’t have to do anything with a database! Hey Adobe – I stopped creating flat/static HTML websites back in the 90’s!! Almost every single website I build for customers involves content management tools, data driven content, or something that deals with databases and recordsets.

The fact that Adobe calls interactions with a database “deprecated” tells me that they aren’t actually in tune with what’s going on in web development at all. Yes, we love CSS3, HTML5, jquery, and all that great stuff – but sites that involve these technologies still also heavily involve database interaction.

Well, whatever company decides to fill this gap created by Adobe will get a ton of business, because there are millions of developers who’ve been using Dreamweaver for 10+ years who don’t want to go back to hand-coding their db connections, recordsets, etc.

Way to take care of your custom base Adobe! Epic Fail….

• Perhaps the wording needs to change, but the Dreamweaver server-side features are themselves deprecated, in that they have not been updated for a long time and do not provide the level of quality we are now striving for. Right now, Dreamweaver is focused on a core set of web technolgies that largely comprise front-end workflows, but as of this moment, you will begin to see middle layer and back-end workflows surface in Dreamweaver, either through integrated features or through extensions, such as the one here:

We still provide robust PHP support and very soon you will see more and more meaningful server-side support work its way into Dreamweaver.

• Thank you for guiding this, can’t wait.

Is it possible for me to join that prerelease program?

• Ummmm … so let me get this straight.

1. You remove popular CS6 features from the CC version
        2. In order to use these “deprecated” features you have to install them via Extension Manager CC.
        3. The features are found in the /DisabledFeatures folder, and all of them have a .mxp extension.
        4. Extension Manager CC doesn’t work with .mxp formatted extension files: these must be converted to .zxp
        5, In order to convert them to .zxp you have to use Extension Manager CS6.
        6. You then have to download/install Extension Manager CS6 to do the conversion, which you then …
        7. Install using Extension Manager CC.

Right. And I thought it was only Microsquish who engaged in such circumlocuted logic. How wrong was I ??

• Luís Felipe Otoni Soares says:

Why so many apps to build web pages???
    Dreamweaver, Muse, Edge, etc…
    Which one should I choice?

• Great question.
      Remember, Muse allows you to create and publish dynamic websites for desktop and mobile devices that meet the latest web standards — without writing code.

Edge Code gives you HTML Live Development, quick editing, and code hinting to help speed up your development without getting in the way of your code.

Dreamweaver is the all-in-one visual tool for creating websites and mobile content – an integrated visual tooling environment committed to producing web-standard, production-ready code.

• ..and a big thanks for removing all ASP features and support. I’ve spent thousands of dollars for DW extensions now rendered useless. I can’t even start a basic VBScript page anymore. Oh and if I want to use them, I have to convert them first, because its all about HTML5 and CSS now.

Contacted support > Answer:
    Active support for ASP has currently been discontinued to make way for enhanced support for HTML5, CSS, and emerging web technologies. You will see an Adobe Blog post that will provide the messaging and the way ahead, but this is what I have for you now.

Hmm, emerging web technologies. Point and click websites by Adobe, so glad I have spent the last decade honing my skills as a developer, because everyone knows its easy to build a website, you don’t need to pay anyone. Look at the code behind these and see the results of their work. SEO – what is that.

• Peter Tuzzolino says:

I have to say that I really love Adobe products but it seems like your marketing decisions are being entirely based on squeezing as much $ out of your customers as possible by dividing up products and services and it is really becoming confusing. I have the adobe master suite 6 which incudes dreamweaver yet you now have a dreamweaver for cc and dreamweaver for CS6 customers? I mean really? It makes no sense and is very frustrating..

• Me too.
    I was a BIG fan of adobe and special adobe dreamweaver.
    I bought more then 2000€ of extensions to make development faster.
    Luckly I still didn’t register for CC and believe me I WILL NOT… I will continue with CS6 and then I will move to sublime text.
    Well done adobe, it seems that your updates instead of creating more customers, it will make them quit about your products.

• Brandi Evans says:

They said during live chat that the data bindings will be provided by a third party. I sure hope its free. But I agree, it’s the main reason I use dreamweaver. No love for developers.

• Alejandro Gutierrez says:

Hello,

I’m Alejandro, product manager for Dreamweaver. I’d like to comment on a few things related to Dreamweaver and server-side features.

We actually began removing server-related features last September: Tag editing and In-Context editing were both removed at that time. Additionally, our CF integration was sub-optimal, our other server-side integrations were problematic and had not been updated in ages, Spry is now a deprecated technology, and so on. Along with these integrations, many other workflow solutions needed (and still need) real iteration and rethinking.

In the CC release, we have indeed removed several panels that provided functionality across a range of server-side technologies, which did not include certain back-end technologies that a majority of Dreamweaver customers utilize (php, ruby, node, python etc). Some of the functionality in those panels did include ColdFusion, as well as JSP, ASP.NET, and others.

Removing these panels was critical in streamlining Dreamweaver so that we can focus on delivering visual tooling support for relevant front-end web technologies, providing a modern and productive all-in-one web design environment (Later we plan to revisit back-end integrations). We do care about the community, so to mitigate some of the growing pains, we have developed a few extensions, and are working with extension developers to provide workarounds wherever possible. More info on this to follow.

In addition, many users have complained that we removed the ability to open and edit CFM docs, but this is not accurate. We removed the Dw – Cf file association; by mistake this broke the ability to open CFM directly from within the Files panel. HOWEVER, you can still open CFM docs in Dw as well as drag cfm files directly into Dreamweaver. Details here (download the Word doc):

Finally, we have developed extensions for both Server Behaviors and Datasets management. The Server Behaviors extension can be found right within your Dreamweaver CC application:

Please note: I’ve deleted comments that include profanity.

• Sam Katakouzinos says:

Hello Alejandro.

Thank you for pointing to the forum thread “OT: Bindings panel, Databases, and Server behaviors in Dreamweaver CC”.
      I also followed Silas’ instructions in that thread YouTube link.

This is much appreciated.

— Sam Katakouzinos

• Hi Alejandro, just wanted to voice my support for Dart in future versions of DW. I have been looking for a great IDE to do cross-platform mobile apps in but they all only support JavaScript and as you know JavaScript sucks (well it does to those of us who come from an C#/Java OO background).

I’ve seen that the Flash Pro team implemented a Dart toolkit for their stuff and it would be absolutely awesome to have such a powerful IDE as DW supported by a sensical OO based language such as Dart. I think you would see DW adopted by many of the C#/Java community. Make it happen my friend :-)

• Peter Keras says:

Like most of you, I too am very disappointed. Both Dreamweaver updates have been disasters just a bunch of hype and making things far more difficult and time consuming than they ever were before. So far I can still use the cs6 version and I’m sticking to that one as long as my annual membership to the Cloud runs out. Photoshop and inDesign have had smoother updates but Dreamweaver has been the most frustrating one of them all beginning with the previous update this past winter. Just horrible all around no matter how they try to hype it.

• Joel Finch says:

Just wanted to say how disappointed I am by the loss of support for ASP-JS in Dreamweaver. I realise it’s a legacy technology, but it is still an important part of our business and is still active on the web as a whole.

As a result of this “streamlining”, we don’t get ASP-JS code support, which was a helpful feature, but more critically we apparently don’t get the option to natively open the files or to switch to design view on ASP files any longer. Installing the deprecated JS server side extension did nothing to restore the previous code and file type support functionality, so I am now actively seeking a different editor.

To say that you removed all these features to streamline and make way for emerging technologies such as the responsive templating seems to me to be making Dreamweaver more of a toy than a commercial-grade tool. In our business we need to use a variety of frameworks, and work on different projects which we don’t always originate, so we need a tool which will support the old web, not just the shiny new one. To think that everyone is going to want to use your particular responsive template system and is even in a position to joyfully abandon all their old code and legacy projects is a serious mistake.

I’m sorry to be missing out on the new tools you’ve worked up, but frankly, being able to effectively edit a whole category of files which our clients require is more important.

• I thought to myself being an Adobe Cloud subscriber is a good thing. I’ll always have the latest version. I’ll always be up-to-date. But now, on this latest Dreamweaver CC, I can’t even open a dang .ASP file in simple Code View! This is not an upgrade, this is a DOWNGRADE! FYI, Not everyone uses .php in all their projects. Not all clients run their websites on Apache/Linux. Don’t forget the other big guy (Microsoft). Based on googling around, you also dropped a lot of other features used by seasoned developers! Wow Adobe! Now, you’ve given me a reason to rethink my subscription and start looking for alternative tools. This kool aid suddenly tastes bad. I hope you reconsider and bring back all the features you removed in Dreamweaver CC! This sucks!

• How any company can arbitrarily remove important features from their flagship web product is beyond me. This really shows how out of touch Adobe is with their customers. What’s the point of CC if the latest versions of software break all your old projects? What’s the point of having to spend hours of time investigating solutions and work arounds, time that should be spent working on projects? Releasing DW CC without Sever Behaviors as an option during install and not having the Data Insert panel ready to go at the time the software was released should not have been acceptable by the DW team.

• My sites were built in CS5 with lots of paid for and free extensions here and there. I’m teaching myself how to do websites and have tried many things to efficiently move through the process. I made the mistake of opening some previously created sites to tweak them for whatever reason and found some cosmetic things changed. In any case, I’m thinking of removing external extensions (DMX’s} and starting anew with what in CC alone. Good or bad idea?

• According to me Adobe Cloud subscriber is an useful thing and i have used it many times. I got great experience with it.

• It´s simply frustrating to see Adobe´s positioning becoming uncertain the usage of Dreamweaver CC in the future for the great legion of faithful users already habituated to have the necessary resources to their daily work. For sure that have to consider the technological modernisms in the decisions and bets of improvements of Adobe´s products but must be in place the sobriety and the respect relatively to the expressive universe of sites and applications existent actually founded on its old methods, tools and processes already consecrated. None serious organization would crazily abandon its development platforms without come up first a real maturing of the market and their responsible professionals’ community’s reorientation as well. These are the final customers and the real technology sponsors.
    What Adobe has just done, to me and I believe for many others, was to relegate itself in second plan when people are looking for an web edition solution. Whom should be applauding on its decisions right now are the Adobe´s competitors and do not find strange if in the next weeks they start offer solutions and alternatives to the disappointed consumers.

• Hello,