by Rich Lee

Created

December 14, 2011

Today Edge Preview 3.1 was released on Adobe Labs. Preview 3 is set to expire on December 31, 2011, regardless of when it was installed. Preview 3.1 extends the expiration until Preview 4 is available in January.

To continue using Edge, please follow these steps:

• Uninstall the version you currently have.
    - Mac: Run the Edge Uninstaller in the folder named “Adobe Edge Preview”, located in Applications
    - Windows: Uninstall “Adobe Edge Preview” using Add or Remove Programs
  • Download Edge Preview 3.1
  • Unzip the file and run the Adobe Installer

We intended to release Preview 4 before Preview 3 expires, but we feel it needs more work before making it available. We are VERY excited about the new features we’re working on, and think it will be worth the wait. Preview 4 will introduce:

• Symbols: Create reusable objects that animate and interact independently of the main composition.
  • Persistent Code Panel: Easily navigate to any code in your composition.
  • Element Display: Manage an element’s lifetime so they’re displayed only when needed.

Preview 4 will also include improvements to usability, as well as fit and finish.

Thanks for using Edge and being a part of our community. We’re sorry for the trouble and appreciate your understanding. Stay tuned for more updates on Preview 4, and Happy Holidays!

Regards,
Rich

COMMENTS

• By Craig - 7:36 AM on December 17, 2011

The download link isn’t working.

• By Rich Lee - 12:31 AM on December 20, 2011

Hi Craig, sorry about the download issues. I sent an email to you with other options to download it.

• By vizza - 4:52 PM on December 16, 2011

Great! Can’t wait. Will 4 have more API features? I would love a bytesLoaded for preloading heavy stuff. This product is so close to being a viable production tool! I’m stoked.

• By Rich Lee - 12:33 AM on December 20, 2011

Hi Michael — Preview 4 will have more API features, but not ‘bytesloaded.’ Here’s a note from Josh Hatwich, one of our senior engineers: “There are some tools that can be used to determine download progress, but there isn’t a widely adopted technique other than showing an indeterminate loader (animated gif). The W3C has a related proposal: http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-progress-events-20110809/

In Preview 4 the runtime will make sure that content created as part of an Edge composition will not show until the composition is ready to play.”

Hope this helps!

• By Nelson Therrien - 4:32 PM on December 15, 2011

I can’t find the uninstaller (not listed in the programs in the add/remove programs).

It seems that I have version 1 installed (maybe the version 3 is on my laptop)…

I’m on Windows 7 64bits, but my laptop is on Windows 7 32bits and from memory, I didn’t find it on it either. Usually, when we run an installer on a software that is already installed, it allows us to uninstall it, but not this time…

• By Nelson Therrien - 4:46 PM on December 15, 2011

Fortunately, I still had what seemed to be the Preview 1 installer… I was able to install it, then it appeared into my add/remove program… So I uninstalled it and then was able to install Preview 3.1… I hope I won’t have the same problem going from 3.1 to 4 (and on my laptop)…

• By gothamdiner.com - 3:57 PM on December 15, 2011

This is excellent news! Thanks for adding the immensely useful interactivity functions to Edge 3.1 preview. Looking forward to Edge 4!

• By Fiely Matias - 3:58 AM on December 15, 2011

Awesome!!! can’t wait til 4 is here!!! I am a flash animator and I can’t wait to use symbols again!!!!

• By Chris - 8:33 PM on December 14, 2011

Is it just me, or did you remove some of the effects (bouncing etc…) that you could do before?

• By Rich Lee - 8:43 PM on December 14, 2011

Hi Chris – Other than the expiration date, nothing else has changed.

• By Darrell Leland - 7:51 PM on December 14, 2011

Actually, it’s good to see you decided to hold off and delay the release until it really worked. Edge looks very interesting, and I’ve already tried it out on my website.

• By filmtex - 6:17 PM on December 14, 2011

I looked for the uninstaller in Application>Adobe Edge but did not see it there. Is there a link? Or am I just missing something?

• By Rich Lee - 8:40 PM on December 14, 2011

Here is the location on disk:
      /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Uninstall/{D68F3D7F-596C-4664-A654-E27C24B15C59}.app

• By Michael - 6:04 PM on December 14, 2011

I don’t understand you send a mass email to download edge 3.1 and i get error processing request is adobe getting overwhelmed??

• By Rich Lee - 6:12 PM on December 14, 2011

Hi Michael – Sorry about that…were you able to try again and download it?

• By Michael - 1:21 AM on December 17, 2011

yes but i keep getting an error message page from adobe saying sorry for the inconvenience so i dont know what is happening with adobe

• By Michael - 1:25 AM on December 17, 2011

its a web page saying Error processing your request its a page
        so not sure what the problem is i am logged in and all that so not sure the issue.
        is there another area i can go to download it??

• By Rich Lee - 12:34 AM on December 20, 2011

I sent you an email with an alternate download option…please let me know when you receive it. Thanks