My daughter exclaimed, “Hey Dad, I want to play soccer for the University of Alabama!”
I work with the Adobe education team, and my iPad is filled with examples of applications created with Adobe InDesign and the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite. A University of Alabama DPS “app” that I had installed a few days prior was responsible for my daughter’s surprising exclamation.
The exclamation was surprising because:
- both my wife and I graduated from the Texas A&M system
- we live in Texas and have never been to Alabama (although I hear it is a great state)
- I was cheering for LSU during the BCS championship game
Curiously, I glared at my daughter and replied “You want to play soccer for Alabama? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!”
My daughter, after disappearing for a few seconds, returned holding my iPad. She plopped down next to me and exclaimed, “Dad, Alabama has a cool app!” and proceeded to show me all the “cool stuff” that makes up Alabama’s female soccer program.
Some quotes lifted from the lips of my daughter:
- “Check out this amazing video!”
- “…wait Dad, swipe the image to see more pics.”
- “scroll up and down to view stats about the players”
- “Keep flipping to the right to watch some more videos.”
I’ll have to admit, the Alabama “Fan Guide” app is pretty darn slick. The rich-multimedia experience captivates the audience and makes good use of video integration, photo slideshows, and interactivity. The app really makes the Alabama athletics program look great.
My daughter, with a smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye, looked up at me and said, “So what do you think Dad, can I play soccer for the University of Alabama? Before I had time to answer, she blurted “click the home button, they also have one for Volleyball!”
As I walked away shaking my head and mumbling something about out-of-state tuition, Kelsey’s younger sister ran up and asked to view the app as well. For forty-five minutes both girls sat around the living room zooming, swiping, playing videos, and learning all about Alabama’s athletic programs. My girls had been “hooked!”
Publications that are part of the Alabama DPS “Fan Guide” app:
- 2012 Rowing
- 2012 Softball
- Gymnastics Fan Guide
- Women’s Basketball Fan Guide
- 2011 Volleyball
- Note: The Soccer publication is no longer available (perhaps they are updating for the new season?)
You may also want to check out the Alabama “Game Day” App.
Learn more about Adobe Digital Publishing Suite (DPS)