In my last tutorial I showed you how to take an image and apply that image to a 3D object in Photoshop. In this tutorial I will show you how to publish a 3D layer to PDF. Anybody with Acrobat Reader will then be able to interact with your 3D object.
- Create a 3D object in Photoshop (tutorial here)
- Right click on the 3D layer
- Select Export 3D layer
- Name the file and select U3D from the Format dropdown menu
- Click the Save button
- The 3D Export Options dialogue box will open.
- Make sure that JPEG is selected from the Texture Format dropdown
- Use ECMA1 for the U3D Options
The steps above exported the Photoshop layer to a U3D file. The U3D file can now be published to PDF.
- Open Adobe Acrobat X
- Select File>Created PDF>From File
- Browse to the U3D file you saved earlier
- An Insert 3D dialogue box will open. Select OK (You may want to check out the “Advanced” options by clicking on the Show Advanced Options check box. There are some neat options to play around with).
- Click on your 3D object to interact with it. Also notice the 3D tool bar that appears.
Cool! Now anybody with Acrobat Reader can view your 3D content!