By Scott Trudeau

Created

October 10, 2007

Photoshop Elements 6 has a slick new interface with loads of great tools to help with all your image manipulation needs. I just received my copy of Elements 6 and had to give it a spin.
I decided to create a photo collage using a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge that was taken in the wonderful city of San Francisco over the past summer. I suppose using the term “collage” is a stretch, as this project will only use a single photograph; however it will make use of Photoshop Element’s powerful layers functionality.
before-after.jpg
The final project consisted of 3 layers: a background layer, a duplicate of the background layer, and a Hue/Saturation layer. The background layer was converted to a black and white image while the copy of the background layer had a Hue/Saturation layer applied just above it to really make the colors pop.
elements78.jpg
For a step-by-step check out the Adobe Captivate video tutorial that goes along with this post.

COMMENTS

• By Bob - 2:35 PM on November 16, 2007

How does photoshop 6 compare with print shop pro 12 – I am in the market.

• By Kelly - 1:26 AM on November 17, 2007

I’m new to the whole scrapbooking thing, and these pictures using the photoshop are great. Do I have to print the photos at home, or can I simply take my photos and put them on my computer, edit and fix them the way i want then send to a photo store? Please help Thanks so much, Kelly

• By Julie Hamilton - 1:58 PM on February 27, 2008

I would like to know if there is a place in Adobe 6, I can go in and do a collage of several pictures – not a preset background, but a blank sheet that I can fill in with different pictures, different sizes, shapes, etc. Thanks for any help, Julie

• By vijetha - 4:08 AM on April 30, 2008

• By robert maccarthy - 8:49 PM on May 23, 2008

I have same question as Julie. I’m a family snap-shooter and want to do blank collages from family events. I purchase Adobe 6 after Thanksgiving and got the job done, but on a smaller format print than 8 1/2 X 11. It was frustratating. Layers,etc. is currently beyond me. I would like to learn the basics of the software…edit, organize and collages. I would welcome sources for advice: books, etc. Thanks-Rob

• By harold - 4:04 PM on June 10, 2008

I am a novice very green using photoshop. I am looking to scann older pictures that are black and white or blistered and cracked, torn. Some colored and I want to take old poloroid pictures and enlarge them and keep good quality, which product would you recommend to a novice that is cheap and easy to use.