By Ross Wallis
As well as playing with Flash to get my seminar presentation on line in a fashion that sort of reproduced the look and feel of the Keynote in which it was created, I have spent the last couple of weeks getting my end of year exhibition up on our departmental website – a job that I do every summer.
So I thought that I might share the process for any who may be interested.
The site is http://www.artatsidcotschool.org.uk and the link is to ‘current exhibition’ (the site is a bit wobbly at the moment, so if it is down try later…)
If you click on ‘digital’ at the bottom of the page, and ‘Key Stage 3’ at the bottom of the menu, you will get examples of the different galleries that I have created.
For much of the work I simply edited the photos in a combination of Aperture and Photoshop – I guess that I should be using Lightroom, but Aperture came out first…
Most of the galleries were then created directly from Aperture – very simple and very quick to do, but not much in the way of templates. I am sure that I could as easily have used Lightroom, and Photoshop has lots of templates for web galleries – lots of choice for simple web galleries these days. The Yr 7 Land Art is an example of this sort of gallery.
For galleries with lots of images, I used a Dreamweaver plug in called Image Gallery Pack from a company called Project 7. They do lots of cool plugins for Dreamweaver. The menu on the digital page is also from them – Popup menu magic. I really like their concertina plugin too. The Holborne Museum photos are an example of this type of gallery.
The book effect in the Time Capsule project has been created with a bit of software called Banner Zest Pro from Aquafadas – with the images created pretty directly from Acrobat files. The project itself was originally created with Comic Life from Plasq. A slightly cheaper alternative is a Flash plugin called FlippingBook, but this is a little more comlex to use.
Another example of Banner Zest Pro is the kiost effect in the GCSE panel – either Meg or Sasha’s photos, or Holly’s (my daughter…)
And finally the animations and films that have been put together using the template that I created for the seminar presentation, which is done in Flash, with an extra component called TweenMax. I can offer instructions and a template if folk would like – contact me.
In terms of showing good practice in relation to digital photography, the work of Alex Hughes-Games is spectacular. I have included flipbook versions of his workbook/journals – but in order to keep them to a reasonably sensible size I have had to compromise on quality, so they may be hard to read. Useful on a mac is the alt apple = shortcut that magnifies text (if it is on in preferences). There is also three of the movies that he created with a binary application called mathmap.
The Paris photos of Nathan Al’Shebab are worth a look too. He has created a beautiful website to display them using msql and php.
Because these journals will be really useful to me (and I hope others) in demonstrating good practice to future students, I have also included one as an Acrobat 9 portfolio (thank you Adobe – thank you Steve) The downsite is that it weighs in at 25.6mb.
It strikes me that acrobat – the portfolio, and form creation are a simply perfect digital solution for the International Baccalaureate record book.