By Scott Trudeau

Created

September 25, 2009

output_module.jpg
The other day I had to create a contact sheet from a folder full of images. I opened up Photoshop CS4, clicked on File > Automate, and…to my surprise… the contact sheet options were gone. Vanished!
Where in the heck did the Contact Sheet plugin go? Well, Adobe now provides us with a much more elegant solution via the “Adobe Output Module.” Using the Output Module script, you can create Adobe PDF contact sheets that include header and footer information or throw together a PDF presentation in just a few clicks.
Here’s how

COMMENTS

• By Dan Naylor - 6:39 AM on November 18, 2009

Your information was very helpful. However, CS4’s
    new contact sheet is useless for my needs. Back to CS3.

• By tim - 9:58 PM on November 5, 2010

Adobe took a step backwards with this “Adobe Output Module” biz… “a much more elegant solution” way off the mark.

• By Mike Andrews - 1:52 PM on December 6, 2010

I agree with above, there are several things about CS4 that are a step backwards in my view

• By Anna - 6:47 PM on December 7, 2010

This was so very helpful! I have been confused about this for quite some time since the contact sheet option disappeared.

• By LtTawnyMadison - 2:55 PM on December 15, 2010

How can you make LEGIBLE contact sheets from Bridge? I tried making a contact sheet of EPSs and they look horrible! In Photoshop you could do any type of file at any resolution and it would come out great. In Bridge even though I chose “High Quality” they look awful.

• By lazydale - 7:56 PM on January 10, 2011

Wow! This may be silly but how do I get the output module script?

• By Betty Wilson - 3:37 PM on January 20, 2011

Worst idea ever on the new contact sheet set up. PDF is worthless for my uses. I was editing with the contact sheets and rearranging and now it is just a pretty picture.
    Why did you mess with something that worked great???? You don’t have to dummy down Photoshop!

• By Magnus - 7:11 AM on May 3, 2011

That’s why we are so happy paying a lot of money for the upgrades …

• By john dwyer - 2:55 PM on June 29, 2011

Im in the games industry. We used to use the contact sheet function effectively to create textures for particle systems. ie a row by row out put of an explosion animation. Perfect for workflow and very fast. You now cannot do this as a workflow method in CS5. So we cannot upgrade because this feature is gone.

• By kathg - 11:14 AM on August 25, 2011

Not happy at all!
    I kept cs4 just for the contact sheet, what were Adobe thinking taking it away.
    Just one of the things I used it for is printing on one sheet and need the high quality.
    I am lost without it. I hope they wake up that is was a very useful tool and bring it back.

• By rsarro - 2:47 PM on September 20, 2011

Yet again Adobe ignores core design workflow tools like a contact sheet for a BS redirect ‘makes us do things their way’. Thanks for the extra steps. I used Contact sheet for a dozen reasons…. give it back…. give it back…. give it back!

• By Arja - 4:19 AM on September 27, 2011

Useless for my needs as a photographer ! I will definjitely be back working in SC3 just for the sheets.

• By Kath - 9:52 AM on November 17, 2011

I miss the contact sheet sooo much.
    I used for printing of photos and could rearrange big or small on the one sheet.
    I am thinking of getting PAINT SHOP PRO as I think they have the capabilities of making a contact sheet. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS SO?

• By Dave - 12:47 AM on November 18, 2011

Agreed… Output Module is just plain wrong. Contact sheets worked just fine… and a lot faster too.

Bad form Adobe.

• By Barbara Shively - 4:33 PM on January 3, 2012

PLEASE bring contact sheets back — we need them!!!!

• By andrew - 5:35 PM on March 8, 2012

Also in the games industry here and always used contact sheet for animated sprite textures… please bring back contact sheet II!

• By Nicole - 11:30 PM on April 1, 2012

I’m not happy to find this out either!! If anyone finds a work-around please let us know!!

• By Yola - 5:35 PM on April 25, 2012

4/25/12

The contact sheets were reliable to make many photos and it was very creative to use in CS4. The most rewarding choices that anyone could keep is having a variety of photos. Keep the contact sheets and stop making new adjustments! We are challenged to re-adjust our creative professional outlook. So, bring it back! We are fortunate to have the contact sheets that makes our photos look nice.

• By Trev - 7:42 AM on July 12, 2012

Haven’t needed to use contact sheet for some time. Amazed that it isn’t in CS5. PDF alternative is useless. Is contact sheet re-instated in CS6?

• By Anita E - 11:13 PM on August 16, 2012
  • By Rob H - 8:24 PM on February 20, 2013

This is stepping back regarding no contact sheets in CS4 PS…not to say Bridge is a joke
    and very limited with the end result of the contact sheet! Adobe needs to rethink this.