Custom Context Menus in Flash 8

I was reminded by some comments at Tinic’s blog about the hassles of making custom context menus in Flash. If a parent movie clip and a child movie clip both have context menus set, the parent’s menu is always shown, even when clicking on the child.
At least that’s how it used to be….

To preserve backwards compatibility, the new behavior only applies to SWF8 content and later. To demonstrate, I whipped up an example. There is no difference between the two movies except the SWF version they are published to.
Right-click all over the movies to see what I’m talking about.
Published to SWF 7:

Published to SWF 8:

If you’re really curious, download both samples here.

13 Responses to Custom Context Menus in Flash 8

1. David R says:

Ah, that’s great, that was a huge annoyance previously.
    Strangely, the new linux flash player exhibits exactly the same behavior on both movies (gets the correct child context menus)

2. flashape says:

flash player 9 on mac also produces exactly the same results for both swfs.

3. Jon B says:

I’m using Flash player 9 on XP in Firefox (the 9 debug browser plugin) and I too see exactly the same (intended) result for both swfs – I’m guessing that version 9 of the player has removed the old style way the context menus worked?
    Anyway, this is handy I guess.

4. Rick says:

Anybody now how to pass multiple parameters to the Context Menu?

5. daniel larsen says:

It seems that some things changed again with Flash 9 (on any platform). anyone know about this?

6. arkadas says:

Here is the same appli, slightly modified for Cairngorm2 final, and FP9.
    I included CG2 in the source, you can run it as a project on Eclipse..

7. saglik says:

very good nice site..do you like to adana ??

8. veryy good site thanks You…

9. motosiklet says:

Anybody now how to pass multiple parameters to the Context Menu? whatt ?

10. result for both swfs – I’m guessing that version 9 of the player has removed the old style way the context menus

11. Ethan says:

thanks for noticing, islami. Yeah, it’s funny that the old functionality got updated…

12. Flash Player 8 changed this behavior to something more intuitive. The deepest child with a context menu that satisfies the hitTest gets to provide the menu.