Flash Player 9 Beta 3 available

The Flex 2/Flash Player 9 Beta 3 builds are now available at labs.adobe.com. The public beta for testing existing content has also been refreshed. It’s Beta 3, so please please please log any bugs for legacy content that is not working as expected in Flash Player 9 so we can fix backwards compatibility issues prior to release.

Although the builds are the same for this release, if you are working with the Flex 2 beta you should only install the version of Flash Player that is available with Flex 2 on Adobe Labs to ensure compatibility with the framework during development.

47 Responses to Flash Player 9 Beta 3 available

1. micheal says:

it’s exciting

2. HelloGreat to have the new player!BTW, the title on the public beta page still says Flash Player 8.5!Best regardsDaniel

3. Kelvin Luck says:

All the links on the public beta page are to http://fpdownload.macromedia.com which doesn’t seem to exist any more. Problems with the domain transfers?

4. Jason says:

Don’t forget the linux crowd…We’ve been waiting for a release since flash 7. Any updates?

5. Fred says:

here’s to a linux version of flash 9! whenever it comes, that is! ;-p

6. homerhomer says:

One more for the Team LinuxI really don’t understand why we are being ignored 🙁

7. Mark says:

Linux…Linux…Linux build…It’s quite a shame that adobe treats us this way. Please get Linux support out there.

8. Chris says:

I think it’s time to email some of the Tech Podcasters out there; http://www.twit.tv and some websites in the open source community.Maybe they can contact them and get a decent update or response. It’s the being ignored that bothers most of us the most.

9. Navin A.Sylvester says:

We r half-way thru in developin a mini ERP usin AS 2.0…AMFPHP is the hack…we face severe problems with linux flash player 7…we wud be happy if theres a proper response to new linux version of flash player…we need adobe to act swiftly…r else the ardent supporters frm the linux community will be let down badly…we want to take u furthur…but its possible only with proper support frm ur end…without proper linux integration…adobe will be the loser…

10. maryam says:

we’ve moved the whole company from windows to linux (currently novell 10.0), that’s not only servers, but also some thousand desktops. It’s very disappointing to see that adobe still seems to ignore the linux market.

11. Jason says:

Because of the abysmal lack of response from Adobe we’re left with this alternative until an open source alternative comes along.Here is an alternative workaround.Macromedia Flash 8 Basic and Professional works on any Linux via wine.You must install it first on any real windows environment (or via vmware) thenuse a hacked exe (FFF for example).(Of course: You should own a licensed version !)Patch the .exe and copy all three folders inside “Program Files/Macromedia”:”Flash 8″”Flash 8 video Encoder””Extension Manager”Goto to terminal and type:# wine Flash.exeThat’s it.

12. mneptok says:

Not only are Linux users awaiting a >7 Flash plugin, we’re also awaiting an AMD64 version, which has never shipped in any form. As it stands, we either have to chroot a 32 bit Firefox or install an x86 version of the OS.When Linux distros can ship x86-64 versions of their OS, and even Microsoft can ship an AMD64 version of Windows, it doesn’t build user confidence when one of the largest commercial software vendors can’t get a browser plugin done.Of course there are technical issues, but a browser plugin is not nearly as complicated a port as an entire operating system.With SVG on the horizon threatening to provide an open, free alternative to Flash, I don’t think alienating your userbase by foot-dragging and lack of architecture support is a great strategy.Get it done, Macrodobe. Provide version parity with Windows and OSX, and get AMD64 users a solution.My $0.02.

13. I agree that more aggressive support for Linux is crucial to adoption of the Flash platform. It isn’t about the distribution curve, it is about the ubiquity of the platform and developer-friendliness.

14. uptimebox says:

Good job on ingnoring Open Source community, Adobe! keep it that way!–Bill.

15. Rob H. says:

In all fairness, I think if Adobe was truly ignoring the open source community, they never would have made Adobe Reader 7 for Linux.Of course, I don’t work at Adobe, so who knows what the real reason why Adobe even took this action…

16. Mark says:

uptimebox, that’s total crap. Adobe Reader 7 for Linux doesnt even support DRM, so most PDF’s that schools or businesses make aren’t even viewable. It’s by no means a real release. I use WINE to run the Adobe Reader 7 for windows on my Linux machine.

17. Rob H. says:

Adobe Reader 7 uses DRM? Wow, I work for the military (employee, not a contractor) and while we are a Microsoft shop, we don’t use DRM features that Adobe Reader 7 supports. At least, that I am aware of anyway.Now that you’ve told me this, I’ll be certain to steer clear of it as I am no fan of DRM!I’d be curious on exactly what else Adobe left out of their Linux version of Reader 7.

18. Clemens says:

Great News :)Kind of…since there still isn’t any newer Linux Version. We’re still stuck with 7.0.63 or something like that.Well, I sure appreciate Adobe releasing the Reader for Linux, but in my opinion it’s time to get some of the newer flash goodness for our beloved OS ;-)Clemens

19. Yop says:

It’s really *sad* to see that the linux ver is only 7. And no beta what’s ever. And since alot of sites are using ver 8, so in linux dist you are not able to view the content.

20. flargen says:

Does anybody at Adobe/Macromedia actually read these comments (or the millions of others around the web)? Can´t you see that Linux is the new big thing?! GET WITH THE TIMES!

21. emmy says:

Hi,Yes, I read the comments, although some days it is harder to keep up then others.We are actively working on the Linux port for Flash Player 9. Although I do not have any release dates to share at this time, we expect to have a beta available on Adobe Labs for feedback as part of the development cycle.best,e

22. me2 says:

Linux support please! Flash 9 beta on Linux at least, very soon.

23. H says:

Linux support please! 🙂 🙂 🙂 The world has moved on from version 7 almost overnight!! We’ve been waiting patiently.

24. melve says:

yeeees, please for flash 9 on linux. Some sites seem to want you to upgrade to flash 8 nowadays to see their content. Lots of developers using linux nowadays too.

25. Zac says:

Please. Linux needs a new client. PLEEASE!!! I BEG YOU. We refuse to order new versions of Flash Studio at match.com until a version of flash can view by our sysops (who only use Linux). No sense in upgrading our licences until then. Proof that you are directly loosing money with leaving linux behind.

26. Matt says:

I hate flash video and music sometimes. When I want it its great, but GOD #$#@ing #$# PLEASE SIMPLY PROVIDE A WAY TO DISABLE MUSIC, and VIDEOS IN SOME FLASH SETTINGS>>>

27. yasin says:

en iyisi bu

28. Tom Hibbert says:

Flash for linux is VAPORWARE.

29. Christopher says:

geez, i know why i didn’t choose flash in my multiplatform media player uni project now. can’t even get sound working anymore on flash players. gimme an update already.

30. bloo says:

flash player will be necessary for AMD64swaiting is hard.

31. jairo molina says:

its very good program thanks

32. Seth says:

33. John Doe says:

It’s a shame that there is no flash player for Linux AMD64! I hope webdesigners will eventually stop unsing this crap.Flash sucks!

34. Ross says:

Flash player for Linux AMD64 please, i don’t think it’s a big deal to do it.

35. Max says:

Flash player for Linux AMD64 please

36. AMD64 says:

Please release a flash plugin for amd64.

37. vijay says:

Hi Emmy Huang,I have been trying the linux version on an embedded x386 (1GHz) platform. I am seeing that the performance for 2D/3D graphics very disappointing. I found out that flash 9 on linux doesnt use OpenGL hardware acceleration available. Does the flash 9 player just depends on the CPU power for linux? and graphics acceleration doesnt help?~VJ

38. HelloGreat to have the new player!BTW, the title on the public beta page still says Flash Player 8.5!Best regardsDaniel

39. Flash player for Linux AMD64 please, i don’t think it’s a big deal to do it.

40. Bocskai Csaba says:

How much shall we wait for that 64 bit Flash?Sometimes I feel, there’s a sort of conspiracy against AMD…

41. cinsellik says:

Hi,Please release a flash plugin for amd64. thanks you nice 😉

42. e okul says:

flash player will be necessary for AMD64s waiting is hard. thnks

43. dulcie says:

i cant find any were adobe flash player 7

44. oyun says:

Flash Player 9 is a piece of junk. It totally breaks Flashpaper 2 printing. Text is turned into black-blocks when printed now.*****Hi,Have you filed a bug?http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=fp_beta_feedbackthanks,emmy

45. youtube says:

46. oyun indir says:

Hi,Please release a flash plugin for amd64. thanks you nice 😉

47. Thanks Ron – Was actually meant as a tongue-in-cheek dig at any american readers..