Things are quieting down a bit, so here is a more complete list of some interesting new stuff for the player launch with working links.

Stuff you might want to peruse, send to your boss, co-workers or friends:
* Flash Player 9 Press Release
* Updated Flash Player features page, which refers to both the features added in v8 and the new features in v9. Otherwise, the comprehensive list of cool-recently-released features is lost. There is a datasheet on the way as well, and I’ll let you know when that is available and localized into a multitude of languages.
* Logged In: Introducing Flash Player 9 which contains the often sought-after “Flash Player historical adoption curve” graph showing the adoption curves for versions 5 through version 8 current to the April 2006 NPD study. This is an influential graph that can help you explain the consistency of our adoption rates.
* Captivate demo of the Express Install experience, which you can use to help convince your boss or customers that being on the bleeding edge is low-risk and totally worth it. Credit for the idea goes to Peter Hall who wished for a video that he could have shown to his higher-ups.
* Release Notes that list some known issues and provides a link to the Emerging Issues technote (will be live later this morning) where we will put … yep, new issues as we come across them.

FreeBSD users, this one’s for you: We have updated the EULA for this release. The first key change is that it is a combined “player” EULA, so it also refers to terms related to Adobe Reader. Second change – and one that I hope will be welcomed by many of you – is that we did away with the concept of “authorized OS” …but this means you should review the Restrictions listed in Section 3a. These changes mean that IF you as an end-user want to install on a platform that we don’t officially support in the system requirements AND you can get it to work AND you understand that we won’t provide technical support for your efforts — you can freely install the player without being in violation of the EULA. This does not impact the free distribution license, which still lists “authorized OS”.

And now for some FAQs

Q. I just installed Flash Player 9, and this site says I need Flash Player 8. Where do I file a bug?
A. The issue is the site isn’t coded properly to detect Flash Player 9. Oops! Luckily, we have a bunch of resources available about detection on the Dev Center. You could email the site to let them know that they need to check for version 9, or tell us and we’ll contact them.

Q. I found a bug! Where can I submit it?
A. Please submit any issues with the Flash Player 9 release here: www.adobe.com/go/wish.

Q. Cool, but I’ve been really focused on this Flash 8 project and just came up for air. So…how do I start creating content for Flash Player 9?
A. If you want to check out Flash Player 9 and ActionScript 3.0, you can download a free Trial version of Flex Builder 2, the free Flex 2 SDK, or the Flash Professional 9 ActionScript 3.0 preview available on Adobe Labs. There are also a ton of great resources at the ActionScript Technology Center, including an overview of the language, learning tips, and more.

Q. Wasn’t there supposed to be a simultaneous release of the Linux version of Flash Player 9?
A. Not exactly. We never said it would sim ship. We did say that we were skipping the v8 port to get a start on porting v9 (formerly known as v8.5). We are working on it, and expect to release in early 2007. Which means a beta should be here very soon. For progress and updates, check Mike’s Penguin.SWF blog.

Q. When will I be able to install Flash Player 9 on my Intel-based Mac?
A. We are working on getting a public beta version of a universal binary Flash Player 9 out this week (!!) for testing. It hasn’t been fully optimized yet, but QA says the performance seems pretty good. No promises on the public beta live date, but it’s a goal we’re working towards. Hey, I did say it was a mini-sneak. 😉

Q. When will I be able to install a Windows Vista version of Flash Player 9?
A. We haven’t yet announced any release dates, but this one is in the hopper, too. Also planning to have a public beta before the end of the year.

Q. Seriously, when will we see the Linux public beta?
A. We’re close. See previous question on the topic.

25 Responses to A pocket guide to the Flash Player 9 launch (with a mini-sneak about the Intel Mac beta)

1. nathan mitchiner says:

Hi Emily, looking forward to testing the Flash 9 Player. Thanks for all the hard work to you and the team. Is there a standalone version to download?

2. nathan mitchiner says:

Also, is there a new video codec in the Flash 9 Player?thnx

3. Julian says:

Thanks, Em! Just in time for our project to launch 🙂

4. Josh says:

So, does the change to the “authorized OS” mean that even though I activated a copy of Studio 8 on OSX, it can still be installed on Windows XP later on?For example, if I install Studio 8 on OSX on an Intel Mac, when I boot it into Windows, I can still install and legally use Studio on Windows as well? Since it’s still the same hardware?

5. emmy says:

Nathan – no new video codecs, and standalones are bundled with the tools. Flex Builder or Flash Pro ActionScript 3.0 preview.Josh – this eula is for the Player, not authoring tool. You’ll have to refer to the tools eula for your question. I’m not sure about what you can/cannot activate for a single copy.

6. indianiec says:

There are a lot of people waitnig fo linux beta impatiently.

7. Jason says:

No doubt the Adobe boffins are sorting this as we speak, but was wondering whether any one else was seeing this:http://blog.wrench.com.au/2006/06/29/weird-flash-upgrade-error/

8. Jamie says:

Emmy, thanks for the update.. If you want to hit the magic 90% and beyond penetration quicker, you REALLY need to get the Linux version sorted. I know ALOT of people who won’t use flash 8 features until Linux and FreeBSD users can get at them! Alot of companies use linux desktops now, and so flash 8 or 9 is not an option.. Ok, a minority compared to Windows users, but we are talking about those last few percent… And surely, the sooner you can get everyone off legacy products the better for you guys too!

9. nathan mitchiner says:

Thanks Emily!!

10. Tariq Ahmed says:

Is there a link to *download* the I.E player installer? As opposed to the automatic plug-in install only page.thx.

11. Ceri Davies says:

Re: “authorised OS” stuff, thank you.

12. Matt Olander says:

Hi Emily, nice job on the EULA modifications to the authorized OS clause! The FreeBSD community, for one, appreciates it ;-)-matt

13. Sean Farley says:

Thank you for the EULA update to allow FreeBSD to run the Linux binary legally. Hopefully, we will see a native FreeBSD version someday. 🙂

14. Chronos says:

Thank you for the update to the EULA.Posting under my Usenet ‘nym as there are already far too many FreeBSD-using Matts posting, which could get a little suspicious 😉

15. TuxGirl says:

Thanks a ton for the EULA update. Are there any plans to eventually offer a native FreeBSD version of the player? (please????)(looks like this’ll be post 16, with 7 of the posts mentioning freebsd… we’re all hoping for some good news in that area)~TuxGirlp.s. thanks for the linux version too 🙂

16. Casper says:

I also appreciate the FreeBSD comment, and can support the comments cheering for the initiative. A fast growing FreeBSD userbase on the desktop would welcome adoption of a native flash player. In turn more users will also welcome flash content, increasing the popularity of flash as a format.

17. The news about the restriction for the “authorized OS” going away is also good news for NetBSD. Thanks a lot!(Of course we’d still prefer a native version of flash… :-)- Hubert

18. Josh says:

Actually, I heard at MAX 2005 that the Linux player was going to go out at the same time as the Windows and Mac players. Thanks again Adobe/Macromedia for letting us down.

19. someone who's tired of seeing Flash described as "cross-platform" says:

I think this needs to be pointed out. Here’s a quote from the March 30th entry of this blog, discussing why readers the published SWF specification are expressly disallowed from writing their own players:”the first restriction is designed to limit the ability to create a player. The purpose is to ensure the format doesn’t split (e.g. when you write a swf, we guarantee it plays back as expected on the browsers/platforms we support). So if you didn’t create a player, it’s probably ok.”In regards to the incompatibilities now found on various platforms and especially Linux and FreeBSD, it seems that Adobe is doing a fine job of splitting the format on its own.

20. andreas says:

Just a simple “Thank you” for remembering the other platforms than just Win & Mac.If there’s anything I can aid with when it comes to Linux…

21. asai says:

Hi Emmy,This is a late comment for this particular post, but there seems to be a real quality difference I’m seeing in Flash Player 9 vs. FP 8 when it comes to playing video. For example, when I play back video encoded with the On2 Vp6 codec (using the 2 pass method) with FP8 it looks great, but with FP9 it doesn’t look so hot. This is a real bummer. And I know it’s not just my machine, I’ve seen it on other machines as well. If you want some concrete examples, you can visit http://www.globalchangemusic.org and watch the opening video there and compare the two players and see what I mean. Is there any plan to fix this?

22. Rich says:

I think that CEOs of adobe are intentionally dragging their feet on this one.

23. Edward. says:

Hi,Users of *BSD please have a look here:http://www.petitiononline.com/flash4me/petition.htmlI think PC-BSD is growing at a strong rate and should be supported platfrom!Thanks.

24. jayan says:

adobe flash player trailvertion use after satisfaing i will purcaise