Flash Player 9 for Solaris now available!

Flash Player 9 (9.0.47) for Solaris (x86 and sparc) is now available for download at adobe.com.

Flash Player on Solaris supports Solaris 10. The functionality is equivalent to the original Linux release in January, so keep in mind this means no full-screen mode support. The only new known issue is that the player on Solaris does not support any camera or sound drivers at this time. Release Notes

Thanks to everyone who tested the beta on Adobe Labs!

13 Responses to Flash Player 9 for Solaris now available!

1. Really sorry to bother you on your blog like this, but I thought I’d ask here rather than create a blog entry or asking in Flex/Flashcoders.Why has the standalone Flash Player filename changed? Seems like a small issue, but it’s an added extra step (renaming the file) that didn’t have to be done (imho). The standalone fp is named SAFlashPlayer.exe in my Flex Builder installation, and was that name in previous Flash versions as far as I can remember. However, the 9r47 update is named sa_flashplayer_9_debug.exe.The last run player is used by Flex when debugging, so it may not seem like a big deal, but if you want to actually replace the previously installed file you have to remove it instead of just overwriting it. And any other applications/scripts developers may have setup to run the EXE will need to be modified or the file renamed. Again, not a huge undertaking, but an unnecessary step that could be prevented if the filename did not change.I realize it may seem like nitpicking, but I thought I’d ask if there was a thought out reason for doing this.

2. Hurtenflurst says:

I commend you guys for thinking about the alternative operating systems. I am secretly hoping one day there will also be a native (or at least stable) FreeBSD player out there, but still, it’s nice to see you not forgetting about Linux and Solaris despite Windows being by far the most-used OS.

3. Shell says:

Congratulations on the Solaris version of your Flash Player!Will this make a FreeBSD version more likely to happen any time soon?

4. Kim Born says:

@Hurtenflursti have read somewhere few days ago that there will be a freebsd version soon. i can’t find the link to that site anymore. so i am sorryi am waiting for this freebsd player too.

5. emmy huang says:

@JamieKeep in mind that adding or dropping platforms for each release is something that is carefully considered. Solaris has been and is a supported platform, and so it would make sense that we would release a Flash Player 9 for Solaris to update users from v7 to v9. Yes, believe it or not, Solaris is fairly common in government and education.BSD is not yet on our supported platform list. Yes, I know it is a popular request. 😉

6. Groups says:

7. Bob Atkins says:

Wonderful idea to release Flash v9 for Solaris. I have so far spent 6 hours and compiled and installed several packages of software attempting to get it to work on a Solaris 8 system.Just to start the following shared libraries don’t normally exist on a Solaris 8 system:libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0libfontconfig.so.1libfreetype.so.6libm.so.2libpangox-1.0.so.0libpango-1.0.so.0libpangoxft-1.0.so.0libgobject-2.0.so.0libgmodule-2.0.so.0libglib-2.0.so.0libatk-1.0.so.0Thankfully I had a few already installed however the following still had to be done:1) Downloaded and Installed GNOME 2.0 due to the requirement for the libgtk-x11-2.0 and libgdk-x11-2.0 libraries2) Found, downloaded and compiled and installed fontconfig.3) Found and copied /usr/lib/libm.so.2 from a Solaris 10 system because that was my only alternative.4) Found (not easy with just the libmlid reference), Downloaded the 112MByte Media Library package and installed…. almost there. I’m down tolibpangoxft-1.0.so.0 => (file not found)5) Download pango 1.18.1. Can’t build because it requires glib 2.14.0.6) Download and build glib 2.14.07) Build pango but wait, libpangoxft.so didn’t build becuase I need libXft which in turn requires libXrender which in turn requires…. Need I go on?6 hours and no joy – mission impossible to build the last library libpangoxft.so even for the most dedicated effort.You haven’t released v9 of the Flash Player you have just teased us. You need to give some serious thought as to wny you need such an esoteric library like libpangoxft.so or you need to release a version of Flash v9 with that library and all of its dependancies statically linked in which I think will end up linking in most of the X window system.Back to suffering along with Flash 7 and dealing with the broken CitiBank website which started me down this waste of time path in the first place.

8. emmy huang says:

@bobIf you check the system requirements, Solaris 8 is not supported by Flash Player 9 which is why there are probably a number of libraries that were not available on your system.

9. sam says:

umm…i think i turned my flash player (9r47) off, because i could play flash games earlier this week, and now i can’t! It says something like i don’t have some plugin. I do have it! It was working earler this week! HELP!

10. I run Solaris 9 on a Sunblade 150 (sparc).I too spent at least 12 hours trying to install all dependencies for flashplayer 9 because unlike flashplayer 7 this one requires many files and programs that either are not part of Solaris 9 or when installed will not execute. Solaris 9 is really stable and not open source so I choose to stay with it.I cannot believe how many websites are out there which will not open with flashplayer 7. Apparently there was no thought given to backward compatibility when Flash 9 was released. This is quite unlike Acrobat which allows almost all documents created with recent versions to be read perfectly well on the old version 5.PLEASE PLEASE make a version of flashplayer 9 that will install and work correctly on Solaris 9. It should follow the same conventions as version 7 did, and not require a zillion extra packages to be installed.I have the latest mozilla project installed. It is SeaMonkey 1.1.5 and when it encounters a webpage with flash 9 on it, then it frequently crashes and does a core dump. The mozilla developers have definitively determined this problem is in Flash.

11. emmy huang says:

@JeffreySolaris 9 is not a supported OS for Flash Player 9 (http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/systemreqs/). We do maintain backwards compatibility in the majority of cases, and typically only make changes to behavior where security is concerned. Most changes that would impact content are conditional upon SWF version — for example, if you have a SWF 6 and we changed behavior in SWF 8, the SWF 6 will play in the latest player as expected and not be affected by the content behavior change.If you are viewing sites that don’t play with Flash Player 7, then they are likely published for viewing for a post-7 Player.

12. Mark says:

Yes I too am sittin here on FreeBSD waiting for latest flash. I emailed Adobe about this a couple months ago and the reply i recieved was that the engineers are working on a port for FreeBSD (No timeline was given), and that until then i could use the linux-flashplayer9 that has some know issues. Only problem is that those issues on my box are that in linux-opera, i get only a grey plugin windows, and freebsd just crashes anytime i try to play any flash video… very frustrating being limited to only a handful of sites that use older flash.

13. Steve Cox says:

Emmy, is there a standalone executable available for the solaris flash player in addition to the shared library? This seems to be needed for continuous integration environments like cruisecontrol with flexunit.discussion: http://groups.google.com/group/as3flexunitlib/msg/9803e0efc2a7e75cThanks for your help.Steve