Flash Player 9 @ 93.3% in September penetration study

The September stats are now up on Adobe.com. Thanks to Millward-Brown and our web team for giving us a quick turnaround so we could get these live before Adobe MAX.

The first row is how we present the data on the website. It tells you the percentage of people that can view a SWF of that version. The second row, is the % of the population with that player version installed (the delta between v and v+1).

September 2007 – Mature Markets v6 v7 v8 v9
% able to view content by SWF version 99.1% 99.1% 98.4% 93.3%
Install base by version 0.0%* 0.7% 5.1% 93.3%

* Looks like people finally retired their old machines and are upgrading to more current hardware 🙂

9 Responses to Flash Player 9 @ 93.3% in September penetration study

1. Perfect timing indeed. 🙂

2. Pirahna says:

There still are people who don’t have an internet connection. And people that don’t visit a lot of websites and just chat or use office apps.I upgraded to Flash Player 9 because of it’s fullscreen feature. That’s really all.

3. josh milane says:

Does the prospect of Silverlight make you folks nervous at all?Josh

4. Adam says:

Emmy, could we please get some Australia figures in your penetration data?I had to port a flash 8 project back to 6 recently as executive client (of major telco) would not believe us about flash (player > 6) ubiquity.All we could show was the http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html page which had him even questioning whether we should be using flash in the first place – due to the exclusion of any Australian data. It’s kind of embarrassing.We here in the Aus dev community are trying to push your technology, it would really help us by publishing this data for our market too.Thanks,Adam

5. This is defiantly an increased statistic since last year this time… (55.8% in mature markets and 56.4% US/Canada) and I bet it’s has everything to do with the way Adobe handles their upgrades.

6. Dan says:

Have you had any feedback and/or have any insights as to how accurate the Millward Brown study is relative to the sample representation in corporate IT environments? Specifically, most of the people who respond to research studies like this are not in a corporate IT environment, so the data is biased.The reason I ask is because I’m planning a new project and deciding between AS2 and AS3. I get that the Millward Brown study found that 93.3% of the are using Flash 9, but I’m concerned that the reality is lower because the sample is under-represented in users from corporate IT environments.Any thoughts or comments on this?

7. Dobr says:

Saying about me I don’t upgrated my flash player, because I prefer old version which worked good on my computer.

8. Margaret says:

An earlier poster asked for Australia flash 8 and 9 penetration. Would you please answer this question?Thank you.***There is no independent data for Australia. All of the information is available on the adobe.com website, including the whitepaper on the methodology. If you are interested in penetration for your customer base, I recommend doing a quick test on your site to determine penetration as that is the most accurate when considering your specific customer target.***