Making it official: the next major release of Flash Player is codenamed “Astro”

In the category of “better late than never,” JD stopped by the other day to tell me that Ted Patrick debuted the codename of the next major release of Flash Player on his blog. And that I had left Ted hanging by not providing a solid, reference-able source for that detail out on the web.

“Good point”, I said. Then promptly forgot to deal with it in the flurry of the standard daily Flash Player activities. Since the community is eager to see what we will show at MAX, and is already starting to talk about it, I wanted to make sure that I publicly confirmed that the codename is Astro.

We’ve obviously been hard at work since Flash Player 9 released in June 2006 (seems soooooo long ago). Tamarin was open sourced in November, the Linux player was released in January. We added support for Intel Macs and Vista. We rolled out full screen mode. And of course, the latest Flash Player 9 “Moviestar” beta has delivered H.264 and AAC support, along with performance enhancements and other useful bits. All these things make the time fly by.

But now it’s time to start focusing on life after “Moviestar,” and we have more bunnies to pull out of our hats. Our platform has been behind some of the most creative content on the web since Flash first hit the web over ten years ago, and we intend to continue delivering the capabilities you need to deliver on the fresh, innovative, and mind-blowing ideas that you all have floating around in your heads. More on that…at Adobe MAX 2007. Come and check out what we’re thinking about for Astro and beyond!

23 Responses to Making it official: the next major release of Flash Player is codenamed “Astro”

1. German Bauer says:

Emmy, you’re such a tease!

2. Alec says:

We are a decent size widget company, using Flash. Our wishes for Flash API:1) Make Actionscript aware of the URL of the page where the widget is embedded. Currently this is impossible.I.E. if youtube widget is embedded into myspace.com/tom , make this ‘myspace.com/tom’ a read-only property in the movie.2) Use the browser API to differentiate USER-Induced clicks to open pop-ups from flash, bypassing pop-up blockers. I.e. if a user clicks on a link in flash, open the pop-up bypassing pop-up blocker, but if the getURL() is called by the script automatically with no user click, pop-up blocker should be invoked.3) This one is a long shot.Add P2P capabilities, so we could have a mini-server in the flash listening for incoming TCP connections, much like your localConnection object. This would be very cool, but I do not count you’d make it in the foreseeable future.Best regards,Alec.

3. Saeed Ashour says:

Hi emmy ..is there any new news about support flash to RTL langunages ?

4. Sean says:

5. MrSteel says:

antialiasing and pixel manipulation would be first on my list for hardware support

6. paul says:

when is a decision likely to be made on whether you’re going to build a freebsd binary ?it would be nice if you could tell us”not this year” or even “never”.leaving us dangling like this with vaguestatements like “not right now, but soon, maybe!”or “we have no plans now but that may change”doesn’t really help at all.after years of that, it would be nice to just know where we stand.thanks

7. LEE says:

Glad to hear it! Flash 9 with the new VM has been amazing performance-wise. I’m definitely hoping to see more of that, especially looking towards 3d environment, and filter rendering = ]

8. randomcrc says:

Great!Now what about a simultaneous 64-bit release and a decent linux version? 🙂

9. Antyki says:

Is there any new support forflash to RTL langunages?Thanks

10. finaldream says:

– true alpha-channels that work like masks, but instead allowing semi-transparence. These should work with vector-shapes and bitmaps as masking-source!- advanced transformation-modes like Distort or Envelope that could be applied to Symbols and MovieClips (not only to Shapes)!- What about runtime-created parametric textures / bitmaps who’s parametes could be also animated? That would save bandwidth and would allow high quality texturing at once. I think since Flash can handle Pixel-Effects like Blur, Shadows etc, this should be possible, too! 😉 Example could be bricks, water, plasma, grass, noise, rust, wood, marble. Perhaps those modifiers could be “stacked”, like the current Pixel-Effects, so advanced combinations are possible.

11. Shanness says:

Can we get an update for when a 64 bit version will be released? Running the 32 bit version using the plugin wrapper is very unstable.Flash and Java are the only two products that don’t work properly on my 64 bit Linux box… I have 3 64 bit linux boxes..64 bit hardware has been out for many, many years, can we please get an update when Adobe is going to finish it’s 64 bit port?

12. Please!!!! says:

One thing that is missing from the flash player, that I feel is crucial (especially for embeddable/syndicatable widgets), is detecting settings that were set on the embed. For example, if fullscreen is available (I have to pass a flashvar :P). Or if I can successfully call getURL() (it just fails silently on myspace :P). And if javascript is available (ExternalInterface.available is wrong, I check with ExternalInterface.call(“eval”,”1==1″)).I have a lot of hacky stuff for my AS2 projects, and it’s unnecessarily consumed our resources and caused a lot of headaches. I haven’t seen any fixes for AS3 mentioned, but hopefully there is an API in the new player for this…Anyway, I’m a big fan of flash, but there’s a lot of hype about new stuff when the fundamentals aren’t addressed.

13. 3walim says:

I hope will be really support for RTL language speacilly arabic language

14. jro7i says:

I hope will be really support for RTL language speacilly arabic languagelike me

15. dimiril says:

With a Solaris Flash Player in existence, is there any chance for a FreeBSD version in the future????????????,

16. Porcelana says:

Is there any new support forflash to RTL langunages?Thanks ..

17. العاب says:

18. FREEBSDman says:

SUPPORT FREEBSD PLEASE

19. Maya says:

is the next flashplayer the version 10? or start you with a new naming like “10 = X (roman version)”? or astro? but i think thats an internal thing.Maya——————————http://www.a-p-c.de

20. Nate Wondra says:

Hi Emmy,We are a company who develops online leadership and custom training and we use Flash heavily for our content. We are having a serious problem with the latest version of the Flash player: 9.0.115 in combination with IE7, which renders much of our content unusable. I have read all the documentation on policy files changes, as well as the known issues and workarounds. After implementing all the required changes, we still have this issue which i believe may be a bug. Here’s the issue:Our html is located in a different domain than our Flash media files. This is a requirement of our architecture because users may choose to host their own media, while accessing our application online. These Flash files use getURL() to call an ASP file (in the same domain as the html) in order to initialize some variables from a database. These getURL calls no longer work when the flash is in a different domain. This only happens with the latest flash player and IE7.We have set the allowScriptAccess to “always” as per the following tech note:http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=50c1cf38&sliceId=1Also, i have set up a policy file where allow-access-from domain=”*”The file structure looks something like this:appdomain/loadswf.htmlappdomain/initdata.aspappdomain/crossdomain.xmlmediadomain/media.swfAny help is appreciated! Thanks!*****Hi,I have forwarded your issue to QE. You can also file bugs and report issues to the bug form: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=fp_beta_feedbackthanks,e*****

21. te3p says:

I hope will be really support for RTL language speacilly arabic languagethanks

22. sultan says:

is there any new news about support flash to RTL ?Thanks ..

23. alsajee says:

What about arabic language ?We want good supportThanks for u .