Flash Player 9.0.115.0 for Solaris now availalbe

Flash Player 9.0.115.0 is now available on Adobe.com for the Solaris x86 and SPARC platforms. This update also addresses the issues in Security Bulletin APSB07-20 for Solaris. The one big known issue listed in the release notes is that the full screen hardware scaling feature is not supported on SPARC platforms at this time.

Thanks to everyone who tested and provided feedback on the Adobe Labs beta!

10 Responses to Flash Player 9.0.115.0 for Solaris now availalbe

1. Wayne Abbott says:

Thank you very much for the ongoing support of the Solaris platform.

2. alex says:

Hi Emmy.Sorry to make this the 6456378465873th post you have probably seen on this matter, but the quest for a native version of Flash for FreeBSD is really getting a bit long in the tooth.. Why is it solaris has native flash and the BSD users are left out in the cold? Most of the people I know use solaris to run servers, not as desktop machines. Thats my arguement for people saying that BSD only has its place as a server OS.A lot of people are turned off BSD as a Desktop OS because they cant browse to flash enabled websites like youtube etc.I have 10 years of C and assembly language programming experience.. Is porting it to BSD *really* that hard? I fail to see how it would be.. Would you like me to port it for you? Send me the code.Hell, even if its an unsupported release, its better than NO release at all.Please emmy, put us out of our misery! 🙂 Theres an easy way to stop most pf the whinging about flash. Release flash for FreeBSD, and include 64 bit versions for all the OS’s that Flash has been released on.****Hi Alex,Macromedia began supporting Solaris in 2004. We worked with Sun to bring the player to the Solaris platform.http://www.adobe.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2004/flash_solaris.htmlSupporting a new platform is more than just porting. Cross platform compatibility is very important to Adobe and when we support something, it means we fully support it. We work to make sure content works the same, that the same features can be supported (as much as possible, sometimes there are other factors), we do security updates, and do full certification test passes for release…the entire kit and kaboodle.Even putting out an “unsupported” player still means we have to update when we update the supported platforms (even if it means a lower level of testing) and for security updates. We definitely haven’t ruled it out as an option, but I just want to clarify that unsupported still means quite a bit of support if we want to stay true to the core principles of Flash Player.****

3. Tory says:

Every *Nix-based OS out there uses vast portions of BSD code.FreeBSD made all the Nixes out there what they are.There wouldn’t even be Mac OS X without it.Somehow, FreeBSD never gets the attention it deserves.But there’s . . . Microsoft/NovellSilverlight/Moonlight will run on anything.And the dev kits are free . . .Adobe might want to rethink it’s strategy.

4. Ravna says:

Supporting BSD has never harmed a company.BSD users are not much into GPL and understand the necessity of doing business.Look at Nvidia, their cards are a de facto standard on BSD boxes.We’d be happy to “buy” your products if you decide to offer any.Another thing is that BDS users have a different attitude than your average PC crowd.Look at this blog. what kind of messages do you get ?1.) It works, thank you.2.) It doesn’t work (insert rant here)In case of a problem, BSD users would give you an exact description of what’s wrong, and how to repeat the error.They’d provide error logs and backtraces. If you support BSD, you’ll get something in return.

5. Vadim says:

Hello, Emmy!Possibly, my question is off-topic, but I haven’t found any other place to ask… Is there way to play SWF file in the GUI context of my own C++ application? I know, there is ActiveX control doing exactly that, but I need a cross platform solution (running on MAC, too). I suppose, the player should have some external API, but to my surprise I have failed to find any information on the web… I haven’t even found how to ask this question at the Adobe site. Could you direct me to the right place to ask?Thank YouVadim****Hi Vadim – what you have available today is the browser plugins. The activeX control implements the ActiveX API, and the plugin the Netscape plugin API. Flash Player is written as a browser plugin, so those are the only API available. You won’t be able to find information on the Adobe site, as embedding the browser plugin within a native app is an unsupported configuration. The best thing to do, if it makes sense with your app, is to embed a browser and load the plugin as it is intended. Embeddable browsers have well defined, supported APIs, as well Flash Player does rely on the browser for some of its functionality and some features may not perform as expected when embedded directly in a native application.****

6. Jean-No says:

Hello Emmy,I don’t want code of any parts of source form flash player.I’m just a simple FreeBSD user.If your searching for beta-tester out of your team, i’m ready !We don’t have any solution actually for playing flash, but the linux emulation isn’t a good, it’s my view.Thanks for All and for this project.And sorry for this english i don’t speak a lot.Bye Jean-No

7. raw says:

Still no 64-bit Linux support 🙁

8. H3g3m0n says:

I’m also a FreeBSD desktop user, not supporting a platform because of the importance of cross platform compatibility seems a little odd.Currently the only way to get anything to work seems to require running a Windows version of Firefox in Wine or go back to a Linux version of Flash 7. nspluginwrapper with Linux Flash9 and FreeBSD Firefox just locks up the browser completely.This could of course be fixed with an open source client ;), given AJAX, SilverLight and the new HTML5 draft including streaming OGG Theora video, Flash is going to be hard pressed to keep its market share, especially if SilverLight starts getting bundled with Windows. Even SilverLight has an open source Mono implementation Moonlight.If Flash was an open, it would have had a good shot at becoming part of the HTML5 standard. I’m sure that would have boosted the sales of the Flash development tools and usage of Flash based frameworks such as Flex quite a bit. I understand there are probably proprietary components that cannot be opened and patented technologies and such but there are things like Cairo, Glitz, Freetype and such in the opensource area if rendering components are legally problematic and things like codec decoding can be offloaded to other things like gstreamer. ActionScript is already open. Having opensource frameworks are great, but then requiring closed source components to just view the content kind of defeats the purpose. There are also all the Linux opensource mobile phone devices that are starting to pop up, Flash could just be on these things without having to be specifically ported. I understand you don’t want forking, but the opensource components will need to track the more common Windows ones and if Adobe is maintaining the open source version then it can keep development of new features going as normal.

9. paul says:

another voice to add to the crowd clammering for a freebsd binary of flashplayer.adobe’s complete indifference to closs platform support seems quite absurd to me.freebsd has a huge installed base on the ‘net and supplies genuinely free code thatadobe makes use of regularly (see licences).you’re rapidly becoming the new “Evil Empire” adobe, be careful MS don’t sue.

10. mariano says: