by Bruce Bowman

Created

August 28, 2009

Apple has announced that they will be shipping Snow Leopard, a.k.a. Mac OS X 10.6 beginning today, and we’re getting a lot of questions about whether Adobe products will be compatible. We’ve prepared a FAQ document on this subject, but the short answer for Fireworks CS4 and the other CS4 products is that they’re compatible with Snow Leopard.
For the CS3, CS2, etc users out there that are considering upgrading to Snow Leopard, I advise you to wait a while and see whether other more adventurous folks can confirm compatibility. Adobe’s official stance is that we have not tested older versions of our software on Snow Leopard, and since those older products were not designed for newer operating systems, there may be some significant incompatibilities. We are not planning to create any patches for Fireworks CS3 or earlier versions if incompatibilities with Snow Leopard arise.
Please don’t confuse this stance with support for CS3 in general. Adobe still supports CS3 in the configurations recommended in our CS3 System Requirements.
If you’re a Fireworks CS3 user, and have Snow Leopard, please share your experiences here in the Comments.

COMMENTS

• By Joe Aleman - 8:57 PM on August 28, 2009

Fireworks crashes when shutting down

• By Ale Muñoz - 5:21 AM on August 29, 2009

Hi there,
    from a *really* quick test, FW CS3 installs, launches and seems to behave correctly with basic operations.
    Adobe Updater, on the other hand, errors when trying to upgrade Fireworks with the latest patches, so you’ll have to download the Fireworks CS3 1.0 Updater from adobe.com.
    I’ll test it a little bit more during the weekend, but I’ll advise anyone that uses CS3 for daily work to install SL on a new external hard drive. The cost of the new disk are nothing compared with the peace of mind you’ll get going back to a working system just by unplugging a USB cable : )

• By Dax - 2:16 PM on August 29, 2009

Fireworks CS4 consistently crashes in Snow Leopard whenever i select the type tool. I’ve been able to recreate the issue on two different Macs when I create a new file and select the type tool. Fireworks hangs indefinitely.

• By Tim Wilson - 2:32 AM on August 30, 2009

I am having trouble with Fireworks CS4 on Snow Leopard.
    1) The Firework’s window in not included in Expose previews. In-fact you can see Fireworks running full screen behind expose.
    2) Fireworks crashes when you try and quit. It doesn’t matter if I have files open or not, each time I quit it just crashes.

• By Larry Spencer - 10:42 AM on August 30, 2009

Photoshop CS4 is NOT compatible with Snow Leopard. My photoshop crashes every 5 minutes since installing Snow Leopard. Apple has ZERO answers as to what the problem is.

• By Jordan de Laune - 2:24 PM on August 30, 2009

Having a minor issue with Fireworks CS4 and Snow Leopard.
    Most of the time when I quit Fireworks it crashes with the error ‘Fireworks quit unexpectedly.’
    Most often occurs when quitting from the dock but it can occur from quitting from the menu as well.

• By Jane - 4:57 PM on September 1, 2009

CS2 and Snow Leopard are not compatible.

• By Joseph - 8:03 AM on September 3, 2009

Not true, Fireworks is buggy.
    Fireworks doesn’t recognize files when launching them from the desktop or external firewire HD. I also had to change the preferences to open PNGs in FW.
    Let’s get a patch going soon, Adobe and not as long as it took to fix the type issue!

• By Michael Sigouin - 6:10 AM on September 5, 2009

Fireworks among other CS4 applications all experience crashing issues. Hard to be specific regarding the steps to recreate since it seems to crash at random.

• By martin Bollmann - 11:22 AM on September 12, 2009

Fireworks CS4 won’t launch the fonts after installing Snow Leopard..

• By Stephen Mount - 3:08 PM on September 13, 2009

Fireworks CS3 doesn’t even work correctly in Snow Leopard. Not even Apple + C for copy or Apple + A works. How do you make an application not work *that* much!

• By Tom Chung - 7:20 AM on September 21, 2009

I’ve just installed Snow Leopard and my CS4 Fireworks is now crashing–never had this problem before. I’m updated with the latest, but still it hangs every time I try to use the type tool. Ironically, I’ve gone back to CS3 Fireworks to get the job done.
    Is any one having the same problem?

• By David R - 10:10 AM on September 28, 2009

CS4 crashes on Snow Leopard. Don’t believe the hype.
    CS3 is much more stable.

• By Warren Blayney - 1:18 PM on September 28, 2009

Fireworks CS4 is absolutely not compatible with Snow Leopard. I am not alone in getting the ‘Fireworks can not run. An internal error has occurred’ error message when trying to launch FW.

• By Brandon - 10:12 AM on October 11, 2009

Is there any news about fireworks cs4 with snow leopard. It is crashing on me with increasing regularity, which is very annoying. Even just a “yes we know and we are working on it” would be helpful.

• By kosmar - 4:06 AM on October 18, 2009

teher seem to be a bunch of serious issues: http://blogs.adobe.com/sarthak/2009/09/fireworks_and_snow_leopard.html and http://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics/fireworks_cs4_wont_launch_after_installing_snow_leopard could you please officially confirm and address any of these?

• By Dan M - 5:43 AM on November 2, 2009

I too am getting the error message, “Fireworks can not run. An internal error has occurred.” I was having the problem before I ran the latest update, but worked fine after I installed it. As soon as I upgraded my computer to Snow Leopard it stopped working completely. It wont open at all. This is very frustrating…

• By Stephen - 8:06 AM on November 9, 2009

I am running Fireworks 8 on Snow Leopard. I am continually battling unexpected shutdowns of Fireworks. Any know fixes?

• By Brad Kamradt - 10:59 PM on November 10, 2009

Two issues with Fireworks CS4: 1) Crash upon close/quit. 2) I can’t save or export ANYTHING. When I try, I receive a message that says “Cannot complete your request. An internal error occurred.” ?!?!??!

• By Adam Crute - 6:47 AM on December 4, 2009

Fireworks CS4 on Snow Leopard freezes when trying to export images – this is a major part of the Fireworks work-flow so really annoying. At the moment my (pricey) CS4 software is doing little more than taking up space on my (pricey) Mac Pro, whilst I continue to work on Studio 8 on a G5.
    Come on Adobe – can’t you at least acknowledge that you’re looking into all of this?

• By Dana Beck - 12:47 PM on December 8, 2009

I have the crash on quit issue also–on Fireworks CS4 (Web Premium) on Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (Uni MBP); it also crashed on Leopard 10.5.8, with precise regularity whenever I invoked the text tool on any previously saved file from CS3, CS2, or Studio 8. This makes the program unusable for me, and I have used Fireworks since version 3! I was stupid to upgrade to CS4. I will not make that mistake again when CS5 comes out…and will continue to use either CS3 on my MacPro or Studio 8 on my older PC, as they are both stable.

• By John Pooley - 3:33 AM on December 21, 2009

FIREWORKS CS4 IS NOT AT ALL COMPATIBLE WITH SNOW LEOPARD
    Steps taken to cause problem
    Open fireworks
    re-arrange windows (or do anything else)
    2 min later…
    COMPLETE SLOW DOWN
    MOUSE IN PINWHEEL
    DOCK NOT COMING UP
    had to use key combo to open force quit and force quit fireworks
    I DIDNT PAY FOR THAT PROGRAM TO JUST SIT THERE!!! WE BOUGHT IT, SO YOU HAVE TO FIX IT. AT LEAST TELL US THAT YOU ARE WORKING ON IT!!!

• By ignite - 6:40 AM on January 7, 2010

Fireworks CS4 crashes on me *every* single time I try close the app in Snow Leopard. I experience numerous FW crashes during the middle my work. Why hasn’t this been addressed yet? I think you have enough people saying things aren’t working right on Snow Leopard to acknowledge that it’s a real problem, yet there has been no update to fix these issues. I’ve sent numerous crash reports which don’t seem to help you guys apparently since nothing has changed. Come on Adobe, fix it. This situation is ridiculous.

• By Jillian - 9:41 PM on January 12, 2010

I’m running (or attempting to run) Fireworks CS3 on Snow Leopard. I can’t get half my fonts to load even after trying 3 different font managers and clearing font caches several times. Sometimes they load and display properly but then the text suddenly reverts back to Verdana or whatever the default is when I select it again.
    Fireworks will also crash if I scroll down the font selection dropdown too quickly, and also more often than not when I close the application. Even if I was willing to pay for CS4 (which I’m not) it appears to have similar issues. Nice job putting the final nail in the Macromedia coffin…

• By P Kerr - 2:53 AM on January 23, 2010

I’m running Fireworks CS4 Leopard and have also experience numerous crashes during the middle of my work…Apparently, from my experience there may be no difference whether you are using Leopard or Snow Leopard. I’ve noticed it fails especially when I’m creating buttons using designs from the common library. It is sentimental and may or may not implement my modifications to text on the button. I noticed when I click on the gradient tool in the properties panel it crashes…”The application Fireworks quit unexpectedly.”

• By Scott Matthews - 12:15 PM on January 27, 2010

I’m running FW CS4 on Snow leopard. Clearly I’m not alone with the ‘Crash on quit’ issue (although this has just started today since an Adobe software update!) but.. One thing that does annoy me greatly: When I preview in browser (in this case Safari) two browser windows open! One displaying my default home page, and the second the artwork I intended to view. I am VERY new to Fireworks – so forgive me if this is a characteristic of the program, I know it’s not in Dreamweaver. Hitting the preview button inside the app doesn’t often work either – simply displays a blank ‘transparent’ canvas. Nightmare. As Mr Crute pointed out, this stuff isn’t cheap…….!

• By Paul Humphreys - 6:22 AM on February 9, 2010

I use Firework CS4 as part of the Master Collection. I also run a MacPro with Snow Leopard. FWCS4 is possibly the singlemost buggy, unreliable p-o-s I’ve ever used (except for Flash Player). Using it can be truly soul-destroying. It always crashes on quit, it quite often just refuses to accept input in number fields, selecting an object to copy and paste takes two clicks to make the selection; masking and the replacement of masked object is totally counter-intuitive, it uses non-standard keyboard shortcuts, it’s just rubbish… the only reason I use this is because it’s part of our web workflow.

• By Ben Frain - 9:10 AM on February 11, 2010

I find it quite disturbing that an application as expensive as Fireworks has still not been patched to address the issues with Snow Leopard. Fireworks crashes on closing almost everytime I use it. Having found this thread I’m clearly not the minority as most people with this problem won’t even bother to post. The fact that the first post of this ilk was now over 6 months ago is a disgrace. Come on Adobe, pull your finger out.

• By M Sy - 12:57 PM on February 19, 2010

Yes, Fireworks CS4 crashes almost every time I quit. It also takes 10 years to startup. There are also other bugs too. To be paying so much for these buggy CS4 apps is a disgrace.

• By Liam - 9:50 PM on February 25, 2010

Im running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and my copy of Fireworks CS4 still crashes any time I try to select a colour from the colour palette + every time I quit…

• By dwight adams - 11:31 AM on February 26, 2010

is there no help with all these Fireworks issues, most of which I am also experiencing with CS4 and OSX 10.6.
    Or am I looking in the wrong place?

• By Pippen - 3:51 AM on March 23, 2010

I have on 2 Snow Leopard systems exactly the same problems. Adobe CS4 apps who constantly crashes. Hopefully Adobe will fix this soon! Adobe and Snow Leopard are absolutely NOT compatible!
    It looks like it crashes when a file will be saved.
    Other apps like Microsoft Office don’t have these issues. To bad…

• By Rich Tarrant - 8:43 AM on March 23, 2010

As many others have found that Cs4 is definitely not compatible with Snow Leopard. Until it is I would strongly suggest that Adobe quite implying that it is. Their sales for use with Snow Leopard should be immediately suspended.

• By Krowdrah - 2:56 PM on April 27, 2010

Am running 10.6.3 on a new 27″ iMac
    Fireworks CS4 10.0.3.11
    Both fully updated.
    I too get the crash on Quit.
    There is also a text bug: Type in text; copy and paste it, rotate it and move it- try re-selecting it later and you can’t! The only way is to click on it in the Layers Panel- where it clicks in the place where it was BEFORE rotation and moving!
    Also, when using brush tool to erase with a mask, it seems as if the machine goes really slow after a few minutes, and when you swipe the brush, it follows after you in slow motion.
    I would echo the sentiments expressed previously. I have used different versions of Fireworks for 7 years, and would expect a product of this calibre from a company like Adobe to be far far more robust and stable than it currently feels. I LIKE Fireworks as a program; it is stunning given the range of tools and what is possible with minimal effort, but I end up working with it constantly on tenterhooks, never quite sure when it is going to go slow, or worse still, hang. This is in complete contradiction to the whole feel of Apple, particularly Snow Leopard- it feels light, airy, helpful and intuitive. And it is stable.
    Does the fault lie with Adobe? Or with Apple? The two of them are like two sullen children on a playground. Time to play nice.

• By Cynthia - 9:58 AM on August 20, 2010

Not just Fireworks … none of my CS4 programs work on my new IMac running OS 10.6.4. Tried to do a clean install on the new Imac first with my CS4 program disks (just purchased in March BTW). Wouldn’t install. After spending 3 hours with support on the phone … even giving them remote access to my computer, they couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t load. Said they would call me back with help. Several hours later, no call back, I call San Jose and ask to speak to someone in charge. They hook me back up with someone in India. They said they would take it to a “higher level” and work on it and get back to me. Called back. Another hour on the phone with the “higher power” and still no fix. Then they say “must be a disk problem we will get back in touch with you and send you a new disk or give you a download code”. 48 hours now … no phone call.

So, I decide to do a migration instead from the old computer. Think that will work? Nope. I keep getting the “licensing for this product has stopped working” error. It is now 3 a.m. I have spent the last 6 hours trying every solution given on the support page for this error. Nothing works. I guess I will have to call India … uh I mean Adobe … again tomorrow and spend another 3 hours on the phone NOT resolving this problem.

And I have a 5 pm deadline on the work I was doing … so I guess I’ll have to forget working on this $2K new Imac I bought and the $1.5K I spent on Adobe CS4 and try to make up for lost time.

Dontcha just hate spending $3.5K and getting absolutely nothing but headaches and lost time for it.

Thanks Adobe!!! If only there were another choice, so many of us would dump your products.

• By masivatack - 4:38 PM on October 18, 2010

I wonder if anyone from Adobe even reads this blog. Nothing to see here…. Move it along!

• By Cory - 7:06 PM on October 25, 2010

CS3 will not work when I update Snow Leopard.

• By Chris Reall - 12:48 PM on November 12, 2010

Can’t install Photoshop Elements. Can’t install Fireworks.

• By Arlene Kliewer - 12:25 PM on November 29, 2010

Issue still exists but figured out a work around. Once Fireworks loads I wait for about a minute. Then it works for awhile. Then once spinning wheel shows up then I wait another minute. Then okay for awhile. It isn’t fun but my images are very small. Sometimes I have to Restart in order to continue.

ATTENTION TECH SUPPORT: There is a memory leak somewhere in the CS4 products running on a Snow Leopard 10.6.5. Fix it. “Pretty Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

• By poweruczak - 1:32 AM on January 13, 2011

my WF CS3 from Adobe CreativeSuite3 Premium is working but when im writing instead of text I see boxes-smallwindowses…etc thnaks God i still have OS 10.5 on iMac – im affraid that Macs soon wll be like PC – no more macs for profesionalists :(