by Bruce Bowman

Created

March 14, 2010

We would like to let you know that we’re working on an Updater for Fireworks CS4. This Updater will fix the Snow Leopard crash on quit bug, as well as other high priority crash and data loss bugs that we’re aware of.
The Updater is expected to be available later in Q2 2010 available now.
[edit: This patch/bug fix release is going to address the crash, data loss and instability bugs that we're aware of on Mac. The list of known bugs that we're fixing on Mac are not just for Snow Leopard. I want to set expectations clearly - this release will not be addressing bugs that are not causing crash, data loss or other instability issues.]
If you have bug candidates that you’d like to see fixed, please report them to us using the Feature Request and Bug Report Form. We’re watching the reports closely and will consider your bugs for inclusion in the Updater.
If you haven’t already, please update to the latest version of Fireworks CS4 by using our 10.0.3 Updater. It is available via the Adobe Update Manager and on the Adobe Support site.

COMMENTS

• By Nick - 1:48 AM on March 14, 2010

Excellent news Bruce; I’ve updated my “Make Fireworks CS4 more stable” article with this announcement: http://www.nickcrossland.co.uk/blog/2009/make-fireworks-cs4-more-stable

• By Michel - 4:10 AM on March 14, 2010

Great news!
    A lot of people running Fw CS4 will be happy to hear that an upcoming stability patch is coming! :)

• By William Desouza - 5:33 AM on March 14, 2010

I have faced the issue lot’s of time.To-day I download the same and tried,the issue resolved now.So, I am waiting for a next Adobe Version release.

• By Raja - 8:32 AM on March 14, 2010

Good News and am eagerly waiting for the cs5 version . i want it to see it more integrated with PS and AI also i want to see some brush options similar to PS as well.
    Regards
    raja (Hyderabad ) India

• By Jim Babbage - 9:14 AM on March 14, 2010

Great news, Bruce! I’m twittering and blogging this information right now.

• By Timothy Kelleher - 12:22 PM on March 14, 2010

Good news. Thanks.

• By Carson Daughtery - 12:58 PM on March 14, 2010

This is wonderful news, hopefully this will fix the bugs because I love this software.

• By zinckar - 5:44 AM on March 15, 2010

FYI: This is the case with EVERY CS4 app!!! Crash on quit here with Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver etc. etc. Every single time.
    And what is Adobe doing? Nothing at all.
    Snow Leopard is out for 6 month now!?
    You suck.
    I want my money back Adobe!

• By Michel - 8:18 AM on March 15, 2010

@zinckar:
    Please log a bug using the wishform that Bruce posted a link to! This will help more than just cursing the CS4 apps… (note: I don’t like the stability of Fw CS4, but this is why Adobe will issue a new patch… so your bug reports may help).

• By Jason Rutherford - 1:26 PM on March 15, 2010

Thanks for posting this, but off topic question here: is FW CS5 going to have a public/semi-private beta period?

• By Karol Klat - 1:44 PM on March 15, 2010

Amount of bug in CS4 is just plain ridiculous. And I’m talking here of all the apps. Fireworks freezes every single day, from time to time “an unexpected error has occured” and application exports all the f***k slices instead of one image, sometimes “cannot render database”, or “out of memory”, while the file has 3 layers and some PS filters and gradients are enough to completely confuse the program. And what is this “EFFEX STUFF” and “GRAPHIX STUFF” showing sometimes on the properties panel? Is this beta version, or what? Almost every second time when I open the file I have all the panels blank, I’ve learnt that to fix it I have to click “preview” or “side by side” at the top.
    And who the hell designed UI? Flash CS4: adding filters requires us to click just sooo very intuitive icon of blank page, while at the same time adding a motion preset in motion editor requires us to click a plus sign, hidden so effectively, that I’ve spent HALF AN HOUR pondering over the issue first time I was faced with it, only to find this f***g button after googling it.
    Don’t get me started about all this “AE interface”, it’s just crap, every operation requires one click more than in an equivalent interface ten years ago. Changing UI in every version of adobe studio clearly shows that this company has no idea in which direction to go with all this. Adobe – leave the interface as it was, long ago, it was already functional enough. We don’t need bells and whistles, we need usability and stability. Do You think people will be paying less willingly if interface stays the same in new version? I’m personally fed up with all this patented floating palettes, popping up, popping out all over the place, hiding, hovering… who needs all that? Maybe boys from marketing department, but not us, developers.
    Making us all beta testers while requiring pretty heft amount of money for this lame excuse for a graphics program is nothing short of audacious.
    And I am with fireworks from version 3, if You want to know.

• By chris - 11:35 PM on March 18, 2010

I assume this isn’t just a patch for snow leopard? Cos us other users have been waiting for bug fixes since 2008.
    Priority list:
    1. Text resize bug! Have emailed and provided samples for this multiple times. This is my biggest problem with CS4.
    2. Pixel perfection. Have you tried using strokes on text? What the hell is that? I think there’s a word that’s relevant here. Antialias.
    3. Export slices. I think we’ve all tried to export slices and had just a single file saved. It sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t.
    So yes, would like to have them sorted. And screw the new Apple guys- we’ve been waiting longer! Or even better, sort both!
    Chris
    Ps. I’m with Raja on the brushes. If FW got that, I’d never need photoshop!

• By Paul Mayne - 9:45 PM on March 22, 2010

Am I going nuts or is there really no way to disable hyphenation for a text field in Fireworks CS4?
    (hoping this “patch” adds this seemingly forgotten standard feature).

• By Erwin Heiser - 3:33 AM on March 24, 2010

Frankly, I’m baffled it’s taken this long for a bug fix for widely know bugs. Q2 2010 is also very vague and probably means: after the CS5 release.
    Since CS5 is launching in April, can I assume all these bugs have been fixed in the new version?
    It doesn’t inspire a lot of trust for CS5 if you’re still fixing major bugs in CS4.

• By Bruce Bowman - 12:46 PM on March 24, 2010

This patch/bug fix release is going to address the crash, data loss and instability bugs that we’re aware of. The list of known bugs that we’re fixing on Mac are not just for Snow Leopard.
    I want to set expectations clearly – this release will not be addressing bugs that are not causing crash, data loss or other instability issues.
    Bruce

• By Junaid Ahmed Atari - 7:30 AM on March 25, 2010

Hope new update will fix up the bugs and give more performance.
    Here, just put atleast 7 folders with 100+ pngs in Common Library and see FireWorks not responding, overload pc, crash or to much time in file saving and creating new document.
    Please can you help me, FW close without notification during work or i see en error “An error occurred”, or “An internel Error”. or something I unable to select any icon on Toolbox.
    :( Truly disappointed FW CS4. :(

• By Quoc Anh - 10:03 AM on March 25, 2010

I want in FW CS5 to see it more integrated with PS and AI also i want to see some brush options similar to PS as well. :)) that the reason i want to bye bye with Photoshop

• By Mike - 10:30 AM on March 26, 2010

I surely hope this fixes the bugs we are experiencing. Our entire design team has had to downgrade to Fireworks CS3.

• By Ronald - 4:59 AM on March 28, 2010

Basically good news. And even bad news. Good, because it seems writing endless crash reports come to an end. I don’t know how many of them I’ve written since I’am using FW CS4. Bad, because I can’t hardly believe that you (Adobe) need so much time to fix SO ESSENTIAL BUGS THAT PREVENT US PROFESSIONALS FROM WORKING. I really, really hope that CS5 does better. Adobe: please listen to your customers and users of your products! Otherwise you will loose them.

• By yvonne - 8:41 PM on March 29, 2010

Will this update fix memory leak issues on XP?

• By Mychal McCabe - 9:46 AM on March 31, 2010

Found my way here last week, but was just nudged by Bruce on Twitter. Curious timing. Have spent most of the last three days in Fireworks after a year or so of sticking to my day job.
    Some things were more straightforward than I remember, like opening Photoshop files (even those with extensive use of Live Effects). Also an issue where my text boxes would jump around wily nily seems to have been addressed.
    Other aspects of the workflow are more problematic. The crash bug I don’t mind so much, I can see why folks find it tedious.
    My biggest pain point is item selection between tabs. The selection often doesn’t take, which routinely scuttles my copy and paste intentions. I don’t think this counts as instability per se. I’m not optimistic it will be addressed.
    I expect to update to CS5, but don’t feel great about it. I was a less active participant in the CS4 FW Beta, and wasn’t invited to participate in a Beta for CS5 FW.
    Still good to know the patch is coming.

• By Gregg Peterson - 12:55 PM on March 31, 2010

Wow, you having problems must all be on the Mac. I rarely have any problems with FWCS4. Never crashes on my XP system.
    I just discovered the ability to create CSS pages and am amazed at how well this works. There are a few quirks, but not bad at all. I hope that is really fleshed-out in CS5. That would be an amazing sales point, if you could get the CSS page export to be solid and intuitive and very-usable. Keep up the great work, I stopped using Photoshop years ago and pretty much use FW exclusively.
    FW rules!

• By josh - 7:47 AM on April 1, 2010

This comment is in response to a tweet Bruce Bowman gave me on twitter. See the stream here:
    Bruce, I am honestly not sure how you interpreted my tweets to suggest I would prefer CS5 w/o a CS4 Fireworks update. If you are trying to make me look like a fool it didn’t work. Your product support is seriously flawed. Adobe is the one looking bad right now.
    Regards,
    Josh

• By @dworni - 8:42 AM on April 8, 2010

I’m absolutely thinking what Karol Klat wrote above. How can a big company as Adobe buy a Software form Macromedia and then sell it jears for jears as it would be usable? Fireworks (also the newest Update 10.0.3.011) is a buggy and ugly old peace of software.
    A lot of useful ideas behind for webdeveloppers but still not useable for normal and bigger projects. I’m very disappointed (as I wrote on twitter). Please Fireworks-Devteam, go to you bosses and tell them, that you are grounded and need more heads and money to develop a new, fres, proper and working Fireworks.

• By Mariano Marin - 12:33 PM on April 8, 2010

Quality in click to magnific zoom extend to area of retouch on areas of area of work,
    The quality is so poor and is dificult work now.
    In Photoshop CS4 Same problem, i think is all programn no is normal to work.
    Thank you for readme.

• By Lisa Firke - 7:24 AM on April 9, 2010

Glad to hear this patch is coming… I’ve put off upgrading to Snow Leopard because I use Fireworks every day.

• By Bob Spryn - 11:00 PM on April 18, 2010

Wrote this elsewhere, but this seems to be where the action is.
    Give me a break. Only when you see people bitching about CS4 when you are trying to release CS5 do you attempt to fix the joke software known as Fireworks CS4.
    If you were at all interested in making this right, CS5 Fireworks would be a free upgrade for those of us who plunked down our hard earned money for Fireworks CS4. Tried to use it in vain for a long time. It has some features I like, and I USED to like previous versions, but this was just plain alpha software.
    So buggy, such a crappy UX. Make it right.

• By David Radisic - 12:43 AM on April 21, 2010

I adopted Fireworks as my primary graphics editor for creating my web layouts, not using the automatic features but doing things manually the way I want to, I used to love Fireworks, thought it was the best thing since Corel Draw which I started with some years back.
    With all these problems on CS4 maybe I should have stuck with my PC and Corel Draw.
    When is this so called patch coming? CS5 seems to be where Adobe want people to be right now and I for one will not be upgrading as there is nothing worth upgrading for. CS5 has no real extras in it and how do we know if it won’t have the same problems CS4 has??
    I think it is about time Adobe sorted out their software or give up and call it a day. All I ask is that the software I pay good hard earned money for works as expected and does not double my work load.
    Why can we not have a Fireworks CS5 upgrade for free? Seeing as the patch or fixes are not forthcoming and we still have to deal with these issues on a daily basis.
    Please sort something out, I have just had enough.

• By Bruce Bowman - 10:02 AM on April 21, 2010

The Fireworks CS4 Updater 2 for Mac OS X is almost ready, and will be a free update. It will fix all known critical bugs.
    Fireworks CS5 has many improvements, new features both big and small. Within the next couple of weeks, the Trials will be posted onto Adobe.com. I invite you to try Fireworks CS5 for yourself.
    Bruce

• By Jason Spencer - 1:22 PM on April 22, 2010

I just wish that I didn’t have to wait for the next version to release in order for my version to work properly.
    Over a year of FW CS4 crashes is absurd. You should practically give us CS5 to make up for it.

• By Spike - 8:23 PM on April 25, 2010

I’ve been in this game a long time now and just have to say that Adobe are pretty much unique in the industry. Your brand expects (and for some unfathomable reason actually gets) people to buy (for serious money) what would normally be a ‘service pack’ release or a bunch of patches for any other smaller, less dominant software company. It’s laughable how little of the core product actually changes between these ‘major’ releases, and as of recently, how unfinished and more bulky the products are each release.
    Perhaps if the staff weren’t driven to annually release these products they’d actually have time to innovate. I feel for Bruce, I can just imagine what kind of pressure he’s under from above to get the next version out with an understaffed development team, let-alone fix bugs in existing versions.
    I’m thinking the day is not too far off when another company spots this ever-growing gap in the market and fills it with a product that is what Fireworks used to be. I have no sympathy for the Adobe brand when this happens.

• By John - 7:59 AM on April 29, 2010

I couldn’t agree more Spike. 900+ bug fixes!! and Adobe wants us to pay again, after this torture. I hope Bruce is wise enough to report this comments to the shameless Adobe policymakers.

• By Marco Wilbrink - 1:05 AM on April 30, 2010

Hi Fooks, waiting long time but yesterday I just got an update via Adobe of Fireworks CS4 10.0.4.1 and so far no problems anymore!
    Marco

• By Matthew Brindle - 10:45 AM on May 4, 2010

I can’t believe it’s now May and there still is no update for Fireworks cs4 on WINDOWS since May 2009.
    I’m so tired of having to re-align dodgey text boxes and deal with constant crashes / memory leaks.
    It’s completely disgusting.

• By Joseph Dent - 8:01 PM on May 6, 2010

I would also like to register my disgust at the lack of fixes for the many, many problems of Fireworks CS4, and that Adobe’s solution is for us to give them more money to upgrade to CS5.
    I won’t do that. You guys should fix this broken product you sold me.

• By Kari Sewell - 4:56 AM on May 7, 2010

When will the Windows version of the patch be completed please?
    I’d like to try it before we consider other software packages. I can’t afford to have my web designers losing any more work with the daily crashes.

• By Dominik - 9:09 AM on May 7, 2010

@Kari Sewell: There won’t be a patch for Windows. They want you to upgrade to CS5.

• By Gerardo - 8:18 PM on May 12, 2010

Please don’t let FW die. It’s a whole lot better than photoshop for web purposes. Please don’t let it get killed like Freehand.

• By matt - 5:01 AM on May 13, 2010

Tried to install CS4 10.0.4 on the Mac with SL10.6.2 and got refused with error ‘Adobe CS4 not installed’ when it is, cant find it on the forum, is anyone else getting this?

• By polskie biuro ksiegowe - 4:19 AM on May 31, 2010

It seems that all of you have the same problem. I do not understand why no one is trying to solve this problem asap… there are couple of months where we have the same problem!!!!

• By Paul Susnet - 5:08 PM on April 21, 2012

I stopped using fireworks because of annoying bugs, looks like they have been sorted for some time, might be worth me investing again.

• By Adam - 9:38 AM on July 26, 2012

I personally use Fireworks sparingly in my day to day work, the only real reason i go near the program is to produce basic online prototypes of the website designs i have created for my clients.

One of the main reasons i don’t use Fireworks more is due to the fact of its buggy nature. I found the main issue i had was that the program constantly seemed to crash. Although i believe this has been improved with CS5 i do try to stay clear of using Fireworks for any prolonged period of time.

I personally think Fireworks is great for small tasks, however i would choose a more reliable program to work on bigger projects.

• By web design - 9:31 AM on November 15, 2012

i agree with paul, there has been too many bugs in fireworks but looks like it might be worth another go. will be downloading it in creative suite online

• By Mathew at MB Web Design - 11:23 AM on January 12, 2013

I love Fireworks but it’s never been the most robust. Shame.

• By web design and development - 3:28 AM on February 12, 2013

I love Fireworks yet it is never been the most powerful..not shame, but a lot to improve.

• By Website Design Essex - 5:36 PM on March 3, 2013

The latest version of fireworks is a lot more stable so I have started using it again for building client websites.