by Bruce Bowman

Created

April 11, 2010

The Fireworks team is very excited to announce Adobe Fireworks CS5 today! This is going to be a great version of Fireworks, with many improvements that will appeal to a broad range of Fireworks users.
We listened to our users, and Fireworks CS5 is packed with features and improvements that you requested. We prioritized quality – stability, performance and polish – above all else for this version, and we made sure it is compatible and runs great on Windows 7 and Apple’s Snow Leopard OSes.
For an in-depth look at Fireworks CS5, see this new Adobe Developer Center article. (goes live on Monday April 12)
We hope you like what you see, and love using this new version!
If you’re interested in pre-ordering CS5, check these links:
Fireworks CS5: http://bit.ly/buycs5FW_t
Web Premium CS5: http://bit.ly/buycs5WP_b
Master Collection CS5: http://bit.ly/buycs5MC_b

COMMENTS

• By Longtime Fireworks User - 10:40 PM on April 11, 2010

I can’t believe you guys consider “stability” to be worthy of a major x.0 release. Was I totally out of my mind to expect that CS4 would also have been stable? Should I only pay for releases where “stability” is an advertised feature. Despite having paid to upgrade every designer in my studio to CS4, we’re all still on CS3, because you guys haven’t finished CS4 yet. You really think I’m shelling out again? Think twice. I’m going to go with the first half decent solution that helps me get a million miles away from the hapless garbage that Adobe now peddles.

• By Bruce Bowman - 11:23 PM on April 11, 2010

We announced that we’re working on a CS4 Update too. See: http://blogs.adobe.com/fireworks/2010/03/fireworks_cs4_update_coming_so.html
    Our goals is to ship the CS4 Update very near the time that CS5 ships. We’re working hard on it now.

• By Marek - 11:28 PM on April 11, 2010

Can you please tell me if FW CS5 will be 64 bit software? Thanks

• By Arpan Chinta - 12:11 AM on April 12, 2010

So, you had the time to work on a completely new version of Fireworks, but didn’t have the time to release a minor update to Fireworks, six months after a major OS release.
    Yes, you’ve mentioned that you found the problem months ago, and you mentioned that you are working on an update, but we haven’t seen anything yet. Promises mean nothing unless you follow through. Making us wait 6 months isn’t making us happy to be your customers.
    And you surely were aware of the crash months before 10.5 was released. Just the fact that you have treated us (your users) so badly, makes me think 10 times before I purchase CS5. I will probably skip this version, and am seriously looking for alternatives. So far Opacity looks like a great option, and it hasn’t crashed on me yet!

• By Douglas Bonneville - 12:21 AM on April 12, 2010

I love Fireworks but this release just looks like a total fail after all this time. This should just be free, or $29 bucks like Snow Leopard was. Or it should have just been CS4. I’ve been a 100% devoted user since version one back in 98 or so. I won’t leave it, but man it seems like you are trying to make me leave it.
    The “stability enhancements” better be good.
    I hope you at least fixed text rendering / editing!

• By Erwin Heiser - 3:35 AM on April 12, 2010

I’m going to await the reviews before shelling out, but I find it grating that “prioritized quality – stability, performance and polish” is touted as the main new feature.
    Those things should’ve been in Fireworks CS4, which still crashes on me on a daily basis.

• By James - 4:22 AM on April 12, 2010

Yes, Mr Jobs. You should run from Adobe.
    Some of us like Adobe.

• By John - 5:01 AM on April 12, 2010

If you haven’t fixed this
    Then I am going to be absolutely furious and will not be buying CS5

• By Arpan Chinta - 5:39 AM on April 12, 2010

+1 to what Erwin Heiser said.
    In case you’re wondering why all the hostility, you had time to release an update that we should pay for, but have yet to fix all the bugs in the current version that we have. Do you really expect us to upgrade just for bug fixes?
    Fix the bug in the current version first, and then we’ll trust you enough to upgrade to the next version.

• By Marc - 3:29 PM on October 12, 2010

Seriously agree with Arpan.

As much as i’ve touted Fireworks over the years – and as much as I was stoked to see Macromedia team up with Adobe – this seems to be the most problematic version of the software I have ever used.

Makes me regret doing the right thing and purchasing it. Should have just bootlegged a copy of the internet like I had done in the past.

THOSE versions run perfectly.

If I get another “System Error Occured” – “Not enough Memory” or other default message RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A PROJECT I’m gonna have set my computer on fire.

• By Julian - 7:08 AM on April 12, 2010

I’m just as frustrated as these people. I feel like this updated should almost free for beta testing the last release. I’m probably going to get the suite cause looks like Illustrator finally got serious about pixels so I will be trying that out.
    Also would like to know if this is 64bit like the rest of CS5?

• By Andreas Galster - 7:14 AM on April 12, 2010

Considering Fireworks doesn’t even has a “What’s new?” page like the other apps makes me think purchasing Fireworks CS5 won’t be worth it but I’ll be glad to be proven wrong. I am really curious what is new in this version. Unfortunately you almost find no information on the adobe website about the enhancements in FW.
    There is not a single new feature listed on the page. Only enhanced features and not even those features do have any images or video examples.
    Well, I am curious …
    Oh I just saw that there are new features listed on the starting page so why aren’t they in the feature list, too? But still the FW presentation is really bad in relation to the other applications :/.

• By Michel - 7:31 AM on April 12, 2010

I could try to answer some of the questions — now that Adobe Fireworks CS5 is announced officially!
    1) You can go check some of the new features here:
    and an incomplete comparison chart here:
    2) Adobe Fireworks CS5 is not a 64bit app. Only Photoshop CS5 is, and 2 more CS5 applications. All other apps are 32bit.
    3) Fireworks CS5 is faster, more stable, and packed with new features. Upgrade from Fw 8, CS3 and CS4 is only USD 149, as far as I know.
    4) Adobe decides if a patch for an app should be released and when, not the Fw Team.
    So all this complaining about Fireworks Team being irresponsible by *not* releasing a CS4 patch earlier, is just lame. They had to make Fireworks CS5. They had to make it stable, performant, and with lots of new features. And they did!
    Now that Fireworks CS5 is going to be shipped worldwide, the team finally will have a bit of time to make another CS4 patch, because Adobe decided to release a new bugfix for it. I suppose, in 1-2 months it will be made and tested and available via Adobe Update. And the fact that Adobe will issue a new patch for CS4, even if they released CS5, should be applauded, not laughed at!! Shame on you, people! I know, I know… Fw CS4 is not a good release. had a lot of bugs. It was also slow…
    Well, some of the issues will be addressed, and that’s good news!
    5) Also, you can help, instead of criticizing! Go to:
    select FIREWORKS in dropdown list, and post any bugs that you encounter in Fireworks CS4! Your bug reports will help the team fix Fw CS4 and make it finally as good as it is possible!
    * * *
    From my part, I can only say — Fireworks CS5 is going to rock! Fast, stable, performant, good new features (some of them — amazing!), and I think this is the best Fireworks version ever! :-)

• By Michel - 7:32 AM on April 12, 2010

1) You can go check some of the new features here:
    and an incomplete comparison chart here:
    Well, some of the issues will be addressed, and that’s good news!
    5) Also, you can help, instead of criticizing! Go to:
    * * *

• By John - 7:49 AM on April 12, 2010

@Andreas Galster
    I’m really hoping the lack of new features means that they knuckled down and finally fixed everything. Also noticed Fireworks isn’t in their main products drop down but LiveCycle is. Is Fireworks going the way of Freehand because Adobe stupidly thinks Photoshop is good for web design?

• By Julian - 9:06 AM on April 12, 2010

Why do I still have to restart Fireworks CS5 when activating a new font on a Mac? I thought this was modern times we are living in?

• By Vladimir - 9:57 AM on April 12, 2010

Well, I also think that adobe wants to eventually abandon FW like Freehand or like when Macromedia abandoned Homesite development, but I hope THAT will NEVER happen, loooooove this piece of software, better than photoshop in many ways!!!
    I was kinda disappointed too when I saw minor changes in comparison with CS4 version!!! There are no new features, except integrated template system and precise pixel rendering and NO DEMO VIDEOS :((((((
    Shame on you ADOBE, CS5 must be free for those who own CS4 version!!!!!

• By Bruce Bowman - 10:45 AM on April 12, 2010

@Arpan, @Julian – Fireworks CS5 is a 32-bit application, and runs well on both 32-bit and 64-bit OSes. You’ll see benefits to running on 64-bit systems with extra RAM.
    @Arpan – We’ve announced that we’re working on a Fireworks CS4 Updater. http://blogs.adobe.com/fireworks/2010/03/fireworks_cs4_update_coming_so.html
    @Andreas – This Fireworks CS5 article goes in-depth on the new features and many enhancements. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/bbowman_fwcs5.html
    @John – Quality was our highest priority for Fireworks CS5. We know CS4 quality did not live up to the standards of quality that it should have. We’re fixing it now. CS5 is solid, robust and will be a reliable release for you.
    @Vladimir – There are plans to make some videos for Fireworks CS5. I wish these could have been ready for launch today.

• By Arpan Chinta - 10:55 AM on April 12, 2010

@Bruce Bowman
    I’m aware that you have announced the updated. I’m also aware that you are aware of Fireworks crashing and a number of other bugs for several months.
    Snow Leopard was released 6 months ago. You’ve not yet released an update to fix the crashes. The update was mentioned last month. I haven’t seen it yet.
    What I am seeing is a major release that I’m expected to pay for. How is it possible to prepare an entire new release with a number of new features, but not have the time to do a minor bug fix pack?

• By Dominik - 11:39 AM on April 12, 2010

I’ve got mixed feelings about this.
    I’m a student and I loved working with Fireworks since version 8. Last year I decided to give CS4 a try and I got the web premium student package. I had (and still have) plenty of issues with the (de)activation of the suite and Fireworks is responding slow and crashes every now and then. The new features are great, though.
    Now seeing the price of the CS5 web premium student version here is increase by 40%, I won’t be able to afford this again. The standard version is dropped so I considered only getting Fireworks.
    Well, the student version here is 177€ (equals $240) while the US version is $99 (equals 72€). When getting Fireworks alone the only benefits I see are tons of fixed bugs and some helpful button here and there.
    Don’t get me wrong, stability is exactly what FW needed, but the lack of new real features is disappointing.
    You might do the CS4 updater now, but I guess it will only cover the most serious issues. And you must admit that releasing a light bug fix package to FW CS4 after FW CS5 (which mainly features bug fixing) is launched isn’t that great.
    I’ll wait how the FW community reacts to CS5, but at the moment I don’t feel like upgrading. I really hope you created a solid base with this release so you can focus on real features in CS6.

By the way, why is there no “Recovered files feature” for Windows?

• By Vladimir - 11:44 AM on April 12, 2010

HMMMM, after examining the detailed intro (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/bbowman_fwcs5.html) to this release I must say that It was very informative, and I was rather pleased with some of new features and improvements, but many of those improvements could have been made in CS4 too, for example, it is written that “900+ bugs were fixed”! WOOOW, that is a huge number!!!!
    ” Hey,FW CS4 users, you have 900+ bugs in your FW!!!! Throw it away an buy/upgrade to a brand new CS5 version, it is bug free!!! ” ;))
    I am just kidding!
    The update must be huge for our CS4, I guess! What can you say about that Mr. Bowman?

• By Arpan Chinta - 12:05 PM on April 12, 2010

For all my complaints above, I am really happy that Adobe seems to have really worked on fixing the bugs in Fireworks.
    I’m still waiting for the trial to become available to download and check it out, but I’m hoping, I really am hoping that it will be a solid stable app without the many quirks it’s had in the past.
    I really like how Fireworks works, but all the quirks, bugs and crashing has made working on it really tough. I’ve almost given up.
    If this next version is solid, that all’s forgiven. On the other hand, if it still doesn’t work well, then i’m giving up on this app. I really hope that you guys surprise us all.

• By Franklin - 12:09 PM on April 12, 2010

You know, it’s great to see this still alive. Fireworks is about the best (in terms of potential) product Adobe now has as far as design goes since it combines bitmap and vector elements, but MAN, your company is lost! After the indians got a hold of the development process the entire software platform has gone to hell in a handbag.
    Don’t you guys get it? You need better leadership. You’ve got some of the most potential on the planet for your software, but you don’t know how to pull your head out of the sand!
    Please Adobe, get a clue and put some real effort into Fireworks. Photoshop and Illustrator SUCK at design and development and you guys are just sitting on your thumbs without advancing the best things you’ve got going!

• By Franklin - 12:12 PM on April 12, 2010

Mr. Jobs, buy Adobe. These blokes need your leadership.

• By Fireworks user for +7 years, Adobe user for +10 years - 1:49 PM on April 12, 2010

There are 900+ bug fixes in Fireworks CS5. So this means that Adobe had no problem shipping Fireworks CS4 INCLUDING 900 bugs and letting people pay for it?
    Let alone the very questionable pricing policy where EU customers pay at least 1/3 rd more for exactly the same software!!!!!

• By Arpan Chinta - 2:03 PM on April 12, 2010

@Franklin
    Not fair. How is it India’s fault that Fireworks is failing. All of Adobe’s apps have a problem with bloat. And I’m pretty sure that Fireworks budget is tiny compared to the budgets of Photoshop, Acrobat & Illustrator.
    I’d say Adobe’s problem is the leadership. They have become more concerned with marketing and profits over the needs of their users.

• By Angry User - 4:25 PM on April 12, 2010

Seriously, 900 bugs and instead of a patch we have to “buy” an upgrade? That’s regoddamndiculous!

• By Franklin - 5:38 PM on April 12, 2010

@Arpan, I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound biased, however I have a team of Indian developers myself and I’ve worked with hundreds. There is not the passion and motivation generally in this group of developers. There is also not the vision frequently to really accomplish innovative things with this group. ALL management and vision MUST always come from another direction I have found. It’s not their fault, it is the educational system of India that is at fault. People are generally rewarded for attaining to the status quo and therefore the creative groups are not nearly found with as much frequently as with other cultures. Again, I’m speaking from much research, experience and depth of understanding as well as working with multinational teams for many years.
    Further, I’m sorry, but Photoshop and Illustrator are not very earth shattering either in this release. Ho hum. Woopie, the usual. Sure, some cool things, but generally the code bases of all products suck air big time.
    But yes, leadership is an insanely huge problem and are you not aware that much of their leadership now is stemming from India? Including their CEO? HUMMMM… Now do you see where I’m coming from?
    These are general statements Arpan, but they are true more than people may want to admit. Adobe needs a wakeup call. If a company with just a few million dollars to spend were to contact me I promise that I could single handedly launch a suit of products that would destroy the Adobe core lineup. Its really not hard.

• By vinewood - 11:39 PM on April 12, 2010

Hope cs5 will be the best one !
    不知道这里有中国来的不,对Fireworks CS4的频繁崩溃很头疼,希望CS5是最好的版本,期待!

• By Joris Heyndrickx - 12:47 AM on April 13, 2010

Comparing pricing for Adobe products between Adobe stores was interesting. As someone here stated before there is indeed a HUGE difference. EU customers PAY A LOT MORE than US customers for EXACTLY THE SAME software! Even taking import taxes into consideration when ordering boxed versions, this does not explain the difference. It feels like a ripoff if you ask me. An I hear a lot of people saying the same thing.
    Fireworks still is my favorite tool even if it lives (or is kept) in the shadow of Photoshop. I do respect the work the software developers put into it.
    I wonder what happened with Adobe when they released CS4. I cannot imagine that the software developers al a sudden got sloppy. Too much pressure from the marketing department to release no matter what? (well the pricing policy certainly looks like a not-so-bright marketing idea). Sad.
    “Customers need to upgrade, there is no alternative”… that’s what the people at Quark Xpress must have thought in the past too, before everybody switched to InDesign.

• By Michel - 5:00 AM on April 13, 2010

@Joris:
    I love Fireworks, too. Version CS5 is very robust, indeed. Very much unlike CS4 was.
    You also must know that the Fireworks team has less resources than Ps/Ai/Dw/Fl and many other Adobe teams possess — less funding, less developers…
    And when Fw CS4 was released, yes, I suspect that there was a lot of pressure from Adobe marketing: “Release it no matter what on a certain date!”. Well. They did release it, on a certain date, and we know what happened after that… :(
    This whole “CS cycles” thing is a very bad thing in itself. Each app must follow its own pace, but this does not happen, so some apps ship with serious bugs inside… (not only Fireworks).
    Good news is that Fireworks CS5 works great and CS4 will be patched again, so as to address at least some of the bad issues still happening in CS4.
    I am glad Fireworks is still around. That is by far the best piece of software for designing for Web and screen, and I am not kidding when I say this! Photoshop is not good for screen design and for working with vectors — and Fireworks is the one piece of Adobe software that I use almost 24/7! :)

• By nocturnal YL - 11:23 AM on April 13, 2010

Well, I have been using Fireworks for long, since Fireworks 2. Basically speaking, Flash 2~CS3 = fast. Flash CS4 = slow. And I’m talking about from the fastest-to-start among other products of the same line (Flash, Dreamweaver, FreeHand, etc) to the second slowest (second only to After Effects, but that’s memory-absorbing anyway; and it’s quite unforgivable to lose to Photoshop and Premiere Pro). I wonder if that’s because Fireworks is suddenly given the heavy burden to ba able to make AIR apps.
    This time around, it seems like we can get hopeful again. Glad to see how things are positive about the next release. If only Adobe actualy tries to market it as a full application. It’s not like Fireworks only exists as a “graphic editor” plugin to Dreamweaver.
    The new Fireworks icon looks delicious. Reminds me of honey-coated desserts.
    @vinewood
    Yeah, CS4 does crash very often. At least it’s better than Flash, heh…

• By nocturnal YL - 11:25 AM on April 13, 2010

Um, I meant Fireworks 2~CS3 were fast but not CS4. Got them mixed up =P
    I’m mostly a user of Flash and Fireworks. Their historical relationship makes using both easy.

• By dfsdfsfsd - 9:13 AM on April 15, 2010

“second slowest (second only to After Effects”
    After Effects is the fastest of the entire suite for me, you can throw anything at it and it will never freeze up always remains responsive even when throwing much more data around than any of the other garbage Adobe sells.
    Hats off to the AE team, bet they don’t outsource to india

• By nocturnal YL - 4:13 PM on April 16, 2010

Um, no. I’m talking about launch speed, not responsiveness. And I’m using a 32-bit OS as of now.
    Once AE is launched, it IS fast.
    Adobe’s promotional materials this time did not mention the following software:
    – InCopy (as always, and it just won’t hurt to include InCopy in the Design series, no?)
    – Contribute
    – Fireworks (which isn’t quite fair, considering Fireworks did chnge quite a lot in the recent releases)
    – OnLocation
    – Soundbooth (which is almost identical to CS4)
    – Just some brief mention of Acrobat (which hasn’t upgraded for a long while)
    But I don’t think Fireworks (or Contribute, for that matter) will be dropped soon. Adobe favored Fireworks over ImageReady for a reason – I think its old connection with Dreamweaver helped.
    As for Fireworks itself, the numbers in the DevNet post made me wonder.
    900+ bugs fixed
    110 improvements to increase reliability
    As mentioned above by lots of people, it’s basically like they are bug fixes you have to pay for. I hope the upcoming CS4 update help fixes some of those problems.
    Recovered files feature for Mac OS
    Actually, this should be present for all major file-based software. Microsoft Office had this feature since very long ago, and Flash has an auto save feature – although it’e not very reliable (the “save as separate file” option won’t work). Hope it will work its way to Windows – as as an update, please, not as a “new” feature in Fireworks 12.
    More responsive contextual user interface
    This is a big welcome.
    Installation times improved by 17–42%
    Uninstall times reduced by 36–79%
    I don’t really mind about installing a software for too much time when it just happens once every year, but it would be a welcome feature for site license users.
    Installation footprint reduced by 7–10%
    Best if this figure approximates zero. Adobe CS in itself is known for its enormous size.
    Cold launch times improved by 3–9%
    This is something I don’t really like. Like I said before, Fireworks has a horrible launch time since CS4. A 9% improvement won’t help much.
    Warm launch times improved by 30–32%
    Memory consumption reduced by 2–16%
    This is good. After launch, Fireworks isn’t quite what you’ll define as a system hog. Further improvement is good, even by small numbers.
    In the past, Fireworks (same for Flash and Dreamweaver) was known to be fast and compact. It’s now far larger (thus slow launch speed) – I think it’s different to be in a 5-app combination and a 15-app one, after all. That’s why I still keep Studio 8 now.

• By Bob Spryn - 10:27 PM on April 20, 2010

Again, since you acknowledge that you made us pay for shiesty software and beta test it for you, this update SHOULD BE FREE!

• By M R K Development - 12:33 AM on April 27, 2010

I just wonder if the 900 bug fixes are going to be released in cs4 ?
    They should be released as a patch because really the software is faulty.
    I expect Adobe with try and shaft all the cs4 users and not release these bug fixes to cs4 as a patch and really what can we do about it ?
    Shout and rant and range is what we intend to do. hopefully Adobe listen, not that they are known for being receptive.

• By Sascha Schwartz - 4:02 AM on May 4, 2010

I’ve been testing the text rendering in Fireworks CS5 comparing it to Photoshop CS5 on my Windows 7 64bit machine:
    – The auto kern Option shows no effect at all.
    – spaces between letters are chaotic compared to the clean rendering of Photoshop.
    – Impossible to render a font wiithout Antialias on a small font size like 11px similar to System Rendering – This was correctly rendered in CS3.
    It’s sooo damn disappointing that still the major issue, the text rendering has not been fixed.
    Please provide a fix for this soon.

• By David - 4:41 AM on May 10, 2010

I am totally disappointed again! Since first CS I’m constantly getting Not Enough Memory, and Fireworks crash in the middle of the work! And this continues through all versions! I have 8 GB of RAM and still no help. Total SHAME. I was about to buy CS5, but this ridiculous ERROR definitely discouraged me from purchasing.
    So sad…

• By Fireworks for TyPe?! - 7:01 AM on June 9, 2010

As stated above AUTO KERN does nothing.
    FW was never tool of choice for type, but please exaplain why this feature is defunct on install?
    It NEEDS to be fixed asap, please.

• By Tom Collins - 1:21 PM on August 11, 2010

Hi Fireworks Team,

I’ve been using Fireworks since before it was Adobe and just made the jump from CS2 to CS5. I still love Fireworks and all the unique things it does.

One tool that’s changed so much I don’t recognize it is the Twist and Fade feature. It used to be so simple to select an object and then tell it to fade up, down, left, right, or from the center outward. Adjustments could be made before deselecting the object.

That was a really useful tool.

Now, it opens up a hopelessly complex tool with a dozen or more parameters that I don’t understand. None of the basic directional fade presets seem to be available. It may take years for me to figure this out by trial and error.

And as far as I can tell, there is no how-to in the “Help”!

Am I missing something? Can you help get me over this piece of the learning curve? A response here, or even better, offline via email would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for an otherwise wonderful tool.

Tom

• By vasilisgr - 10:51 AM on September 6, 2010

I have just one line to say for the CS5 version of fireworks:
    “Out of memory”

• By blastyblast - 8:49 PM on September 23, 2010

I think Fireworks CS5 has a major bug that causes a memory leak or memory “cap” where the application stops functioning once it has used approximately 1.5 GB of memory or so. I only have 10 undos set in Fireworks, so I know that’s not the problem. I have searched high and low to resolve this, but it seems like Adobe just hasn’t recognized this as a high priority.

I had the same problem with CS4. I have Fireworks installed on two PCs, both have quad core 3Ghz processors, one PC has 6GB of RAM, the other has 8GB. Once an hour I have to shut down what I’m working on and wait several minutes for Fireworks to reopen the file. Sometimes Fireworks just stops responding and won’t let me save my work at all. And since there is no autosave in Fireworks, I probably lose work at least once a day.

Please address this… I love Fireworks, and I’d really like to keep using it.

• By Blakeyg - 9:53 AM on October 8, 2010

Having recently purchased CS5 I am experiencing serious issues with Adobe Fireworks. On trying to resave a PNG work file (approx 10mb in size), I am constantly experiencing the “Could not complete your request – an internal error occured”. This is not acceptable when running on a high-end Windows 7 machine with 12Gb RAM and a Xeon quad-core processor.

The memory cap/leak issue has been plaguing Fireworks now for several versions, and it is simply not good enough that this has not been addressed.

To the Adobe Fireworks developers: this problem really needs to be sorted out urgently . If this kind of issue existed with Photoshop, your technical support lines and forums would be innundated with thousands of irate customers. Fireworks is a professional tool included in the Adobe Creative Suite ($1000+) and deserves better support and attention than it currently seems to be getting.

Let’s hope the Adobe Fireworks developers are listening and that Fireworks users don’t have to resort to a campaign of publicly embarassing you into resolving this issue.

• By Velizar Savov - 8:37 AM on November 12, 2010

Hi Fireworks CS5 is relly great product, BUT when I’m saving working PNG files it’s VERY VERY slow. What is the problem ? I have very powerfull machine and don’t have any hardware and software problems. Is this a bug or ….. ? I’ve tried Photoshop CS 5 and he has no slow saving problem.

• By Joe Gold - 9:26 AM on December 1, 2010

We just upgraded to CS5 and new machines (Dell T3400 with Intel 2 Due CPU 3.GHz, 64-bit, with 8 GB Ram, Windows 7) and all (8) of us are experiencing the same problem with PNGS. When you save them in Fireworks it takes over 1 minute to save a 34kb file. It is brutal especially when you save a few minutes to avoid losing work in the case of FW crash…. I am ready to pull my teeth out over this. It is killing our production work flow time.

• By Francis - 7:28 PM on January 21, 2011

I’m having the same “OUT OF MEMORY” issue everyone else seems to be having. I also have a very fast brand new 64 bit machine with a quad core and 8gb Ram. The file i’m working on is only 28mb, and it’s using up all my memory. FW CS5 just started crashing on me today. It won’t allow me to save any new work, it’s not rendering the pages, and I keep getting a message that says “Could not render the database. Not enough memory.” I also noticed it seems to be causing problems with copy/paste functions in other programs like MS Excel (been happening for a few weeks not). I wasnt sure if it was caused by FW, but now i’m pretty sure it is. This needs to be fixed asap.

• By Zac Evans - 3:38 AM on January 27, 2011

For the love of god, Adobe, get these issues solved!! PLEASE, why wasn’t the out of memory bug part of the NINE HUNDRED + Bug fix list? It is absolutely unacceptable that CS5, let alone CS4!!! hasn’t become the stable product that was promised, i have spent THOUSANDS updating every version HOPING ill have a product i can use without crashes and Hundreds of hours of lost work!

PLEASE

FIX

IT!!!!

• By beeny man - 7:34 AM on February 15, 2011

can u guys tell me wat is soo good about firework. i would really like to know

• By Bob Spryn - 12:26 AM on March 10, 2011

Just wanted to mention again what a sham it is that we had to pay for CS4 or CS5. This product, even after the mentioned 900+ bug fixes from the joke of a piece of software known as fireworks CS4, the program is still a user interface nightmare. Clearly its hobbled together pieces of macromedia’s old school interface and adobe’s newer stuff.

It has so many annoyances, little gotchas, inconsistencies, and flat out bugs that its embarrassing. It shouldn’t be sold in a nice shiny box, as that’s a discredit to other software that’s deemed ready for ‘release’.

Either just kill this product and roll its good features into the already giant Photoshop, or truly turn this into a worthwhile product and provide it as a FREE update to those of us who have paid TWICE for alpha/beta-ware.

• By Nik - 6:07 AM on March 28, 2011

I’m trying Fireworks CS5 and I get a “Could not complete your request. Not enough memory” message from a 2,1 Mb file on a 4GB machine with pleny of paging memory. The process itself is using just 356 Mb. Sometimes there are also some strange behaviours more typical of a 1st edition, low price product. I’m using it to develop a new homepage and found it much faster and richier than Photoshop for the task but these bugs are a serious issue when you have to shell out hundreds of bucks.

• By jonschlinkert - 6:52 PM on May 29, 2011

I’m hugely disappointed, but not surprised to say that the memory leak was not addressed AT ALL in the CS 5.1 update. And seriously Adobe, it’s not hyperbole to say that charging for upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1 is a completely dishonest sham. I don’t see how anyone at Adobe feels justified in charging for it. I can’t find one single improvement or new feature. NOT ONE. And it’s still as buggy as it always was.

• By Jano - 2:31 AM on August 3, 2011

Shame on you, Adobe!

I ran into the same issue today and multiple times before even in previous Fireworks releases. I tried saving my file and I got “Could not complete your request”. It just laughed into my face. It should have said “Adobe and Fireworks developers in particular feel very ashamed that your effort just went into trash. Please click this button to send us information that would help us finally fix this long lasting issue. We feel your pain and sincerely apologize for all the problems our expensive product has caused you.”

That would make me feel a bit better. BTW, even free OpenOffice can recover files after its crash!

Shame on you, Adobe!

• By John - 7:03 PM on March 8, 2012

It is now 2012 and having tried all of the fixes i can find for Fireworks cs5 – still ‘not enough memory’ as soon as i get over a few pages – any resolutions on this yet?