by Bruce Bowman

Created

April 29, 2010

fwicon.jpgAdobe Fireworks CS5 is now shipping!
A fully functioning free 30-day Trial can be downloaded from Adobe.com today. English is available now, French and German will be available on May 6, and the other European languages on May 10. Japanese Trials will be available on May 27.
For an in-depth look at Fireworks CS5, take a look at this article on the Fireworks Developer Center, which covers the new features and many improvements that make this the best version of Fireworks ever!
Fireworks CS5 is also included in these Suites:

COMMENTS

• By Garth Humphreys - 9:18 PM on April 29, 2010

I tired this link, but it goes to a “Product notification” page. Help! I want to try it out :D super excited for the new version.

• By Chris - 10:00 PM on April 29, 2010
  • By Garth Humphreys - 10:03 PM on April 29, 2010

Thanks man. Downloading now.. I can’t wait to work with it.

• By Quoc Anh - 11:02 AM on April 30, 2010

I’ve just download it and try it now

• By Arpan Chinta - 5:18 PM on April 30, 2010

Will the trial install on the side or will it replace CS4.
    Basically I need to know if I can continue to use CS4 for work while I evaluate CS5.
    Thanks

• By Arpan Chinta - 5:41 PM on April 30, 2010

Quick Review:
    Everything looks exactly the same. I had to check the about box to make sure I was running CS5.
    So far no crashes.
    I was unhappy with the increased use of Flash panels. When using Flash panels, the panel takes focus away from the document, so scrolling in the document etc. does not work, & requires an extra click before items can be selected.
    Scrolling works in some panels and not in others. Example, 2-finger scrolling on my Macbook Pro does not work in the Auto Shapes panel, History Panel, not even in the Filters box in the main properties panel.
    On the whole, other than welcome bug fixes, I don’t really see anything new in CS5, and I definitely see nothing that I should be paying for. (The bug fixes should be free)
    I do see a few welcome improvements, such as moving some items in the properties panel from menus to buttons, making it faster to access and improved compatibility with Illustrator & Photoshop is great.
    I’m just worried that Fireworks is mostly abandoned by Adobe. Only bug fixes, but no major improvements in the UI or features. Basically looks more like CS 4.1 than CS5.

• By Bruce Bowman - 5:46 PM on April 30, 2010

Hi Arpan,
    For a more in depth look, and one that might convince you that there’s a lot of new things in Fireworks CS5, check out the following:
    Thanks for giving it a chance.
    Bruce

• By Bruce Bowman - 5:47 PM on April 30, 2010

CS4 and CS5 products can co-exist on the same machine, on both Mac and Windows.

• By Arpan Chinta - 5:50 PM on April 30, 2010

Thanks for the links Bruce. I’ll take a look.

• By Syed Muhammad Azmat Shah - 11:09 PM on April 30, 2010

I downloaded fireworks cs5 but everytime i try installing it…a BSOD(blue screen of death) appears and my pc restarts..i am on Winxp and screen resolution is 1280 *768….

• By John - 12:17 AM on May 1, 2010

Why do documents ALWAYS open full screen on a Mac even if they are tiny?
    You broke this in CS4 why have you not fixed it in CS5?
    It’s so damn annoying when you open a bunch of icon graphics, I have to sit there and resize every one of them (I don’t use tabs, I don’t consider them a sensible solution to document management).
    Seriously this fullscreen bug was the ONE THING I wanted fixed in CS5, its something I encounter countless times a day and means I have to move and resize documents EVERY TIME I open them.

• By Chris - 11:06 AM on May 1, 2010

I already found a bug in Fireworks CS5 – its the same text error bug we were getting in CS$!!!!
    More about it at http://allaboutchris.co.uk/blog/?p=445

• By Peter - 4:26 PM on May 1, 2010

I gave Fireworks CS5 a quick look and I was disappointed to find (old and new) bugs already. This release is a $ervice pack for CS4 with very little new features.
    I guess I have to wait 2 more years and buy CS6 to see the bugs I find now getting fixed?

• By Tim - 8:23 AM on May 3, 2010

The main problem I had with CS4 was performance, and this has been fixed!! It looks like its usable now:)
    Anyway, will check the new features…
    good work and thanks!

• By John - 2:20 AM on May 4, 2010

can we have some answers on these bugs above please

• By gfgdfgdfgdf - 10:03 AM on May 4, 2010

Just had a load of text shift when copying lots of nested groups.
    SERIOUSLY ADOBE? You had a year to fix these bugs, its basic stuff.
    I won’t be upgrading to CS5, I’m going to take my business elsewhere.

• By vinewood - 12:41 AM on May 6, 2010

太悲剧了,刚删了英文版,装上了中文版,发现以前在英文版或者8里面某个对象用了色相饱和度滤镜后,在cs5中文版里面就成花脸了,只能关掉这个滤镜。
    太悲剧了,都中文版了,adobe居然还有这么一个bug,还是这么严重的bug。
    重现办法,在8或者cs5英文版里面对一个渐变色使用色相饱和度滤镜,保存后用cs5中文版打开,发现这个对象花脸了。。。。。。

• By vinewood - 12:54 AM on May 6, 2010

太悲剧了,刚删了英文版,装上了中文版,发现以前在英文版或者8里面某个对象用了色相饱和度滤镜后,在cs5中文版里面就成花脸了,只能关掉这个滤镜。
    太悲剧了,都中文版了,adobe居然还有这么一个bug,还是这么严重的bug。
    重现办法,在8或者cs5英文版里面对一个渐变色使用色相饱和度滤镜,保存后用cs5中文版打开,发现这个对象花脸了。。。。。。

• By Joe - 10:32 AM on May 9, 2010

How is it possible that CS5 still has such terrible text rendering?
    Anti-aliasing is not as good as what my Mac does natively. The Mac tries to do anti-aliasing as fast as possible, while Fireworks has the luxury of taking a bit more time if needed to get the best results, yet Fireworks text looks horrible by comparison.
    Underlines are blurry (not good if you happen to be mocking up web designs – uh, I think we’re all doing that).
    And when you make Arial bold it’s not bold.
    This all worked in CS3. Heck, it worked in Fireworks 4. What’s the problem, guys?

• By Jeremy - 10:40 AM on October 31, 2011

I agree Joe. Have you seen any resolution to this? I HATE doing web layouts in Photoshop but I am left with little choice since CS5 renders text so poorly.

• By Nathan Daniel Huening - 1:33 PM on May 23, 2010

I realize this thread is a few weeks old, but I really want to echo John’s sentiments. Opening full screen in Fireworks drives me utterly batty. Please, how can I disable this? Why doesn’t it work like Photoshop?
    Speaking of Photoshop, the ‘Zoom’ button on Fireworks is — and has long been, as far as I can tell — broken. Zoom is NOT supposed to maximize a window, that’s what Maximize does on a Wintel box. Zoom in Photoshop works exactly as it’s supposed to, according to the Apple HIG. Is there any hack/script that restores proper functionality to Zoom?
    Cheers

• By Danielsun - 6:32 AM on May 24, 2010

Hi, I’m trying FwCS5 and I loose “full display” option from the view menu.
    There’s any reason to hide such a usefull feature.
    Bye Folks

• By Tomek - 11:01 AM on July 22, 2010

Yeah. Where is Full Display??? I found it in help/manual, but not in application! Why?

• By DavilaCS - 4:40 AM on August 28, 2010

Al igual que @Danielsun también echo de menos la opción “Full Display” ¿Que paso con dicha opción? . Full display era una herramienta muy buena par la mejor organización /ubicación cuando se tenia muchos elemento sobre todo vectoriales.

• By su - 6:29 AM on September 17, 2010

can we have some answers on these bugs above please

• By Aaron - 6:33 PM on October 15, 2010

Do not buy Fireworks CS5… Font rendering is atrocious – pixel equivalent to splintered nails on a chalkboard.

• By NormB - 12:43 AM on October 28, 2010

I came here to fond out why Firework’s text rendering looks so bad. Thought I was doing something wrong, but it appears thats just how it is. wow. why would anyone pay for this?

• By Johnson - 7:01 AM on November 19, 2010

I got a lil prob, I am nt satisfied with the twist and fade effect with the cs5.
    I suggest the fade(auto vector mask) in cs4 should be included.

• By Fred - 6:37 AM on March 18, 2011

Font rendering in Fireworks has NEVER left beta stage. Adobe couldn’t be bothered with fixing it like most of their software.