by Takashi Morifusa

Created

April 12, 2011

Creative Suite CS5.5 will include Fireworks CS5.1, which is a minor update from Fireworks CS5.0.

In addition, we will be releasing a patch for Fireworks CS5.0 users.  This patch will include all of the bug fixes that are going into CS5.1.  It will not, however, include the subscription engine that will be part of CS5.1, so it will not fully upgrade CS5.0 to CS5.1. To identify the builds:

n  The full CS5.1 internal build number will be 11.1.

n  After applying the patch to CS5.0 the internal build number will be 11.0.1.

The following bug fixes will be included in the patch and the Fireworks CS5.1 release.
Major crash bug fixes
Thank you for using the crash reporter to submit crash problems. Our developers figured out the root cause of many crashes and fixed a variety of unexpected crash bugs when using the following functions and APIs.

• PS Live Effects area
  • Vector tool
  • Layer naming, editing in multiple pages
  • Undo/redo name change
  • Find and replace
  • Saving files
  • Opening legacy Fireworks 8 file
  • Win API related changes for 64bit

Color optimization improvement
We’ve heard customers’ complaints about the color banding issue of GIF, PNG8, JPEG optimization, and now we have improved color optimization to enable multiple bit depth algorithms for color optimization.

=======================================
Out of memory prevention on Win
Please be aware of 32bit application limitations. Since Fireworks is 32bit application, it is limited to accessing up to 2GB of RAM on Windows. As RAM prices have dropped, you might have a higher-end machine loaded with 8GB or more of RAM, but Fireworks cannot access anything but the first 2GB. Instead of popping up an out of memory dialog box, and risk losing data,  we’ve modified the behavior to bring up a “Low memory” warning dialog box so you can save and close the document, and delete the old history to free up memory. You may also assign a keyboard shortcut to bring up the dialog box to delete the history and close the document too.

Enable Save on Crash on Mac
When an application crash occurs on the Mac platform, Fireworks saves the most recent working file onto the desktop to help recover the file.

Improvements:
Sticky Save As… location
Fireworks used to keep the same file location as the opened file when the user chose “Save as…”. Fireworks CS5.1 will respect the last saved location.
Choosing export slice from the context menu also preserves the last saved location.

AIR SDK update
We replaced the AIR 2.0 SDK with AIR 2.5.1 SDK for creation of AIR applications in Fireworks.

More Bug Fixes
FXG related bug fix

• Buttons were not appearing properly in Flash Catalyst after opening a .fxg file that contains buttons.
  • FXG Symbols (button, graphic, and Animation) with same symbol ID were not being exported properly.
  • RichText tags in exported FXG were[JGW1] required to have a fontFamily attribute.
  • Fireworks threw an error while exporting a FXG that contained text with missing fonts or legacy text.
  • When an empty text object with the cursor on it is present, Fireworks threw an error while exporting to FXG.

=======================================
Image preview now preserves the settings done through “Save as…”  options dialog box.

=======================================
Fireworks no longer crashes when you try to edit a symbol with a blank name.

=======================================
When an empty text object with the cursor on it is present, Fireworks threw an error while exporting to CSS and Images

=======================================
When exporting an image, nearly white objects on a white background turned transparent.

=======================================
File overwriting warning didn’t pop up for “images” when exporting as HTML and images.

=======================================
The focus was not on the file name in the Windows Export dialog box, and the keyboard could not be used in that dialog box.

Regards,

Takashi Morifusa
Fireworks Sr. Product Manager

[JGW1]a“are” ?

COMMENTS

• By mrtreb - 6:11 PM on April 12, 2011

is there a way on importing brushes on photoshop to fireworks?

• By Linda Nicholls - 7:15 PM on April 12, 2011

Please address the unable to crop in Mac, and display flickering when selecting the erase tool in Mac.

• By Takashi Morifusa - 9:20 PM on April 12, 2011

Have you try deleting preferences?
      Some user also mentioned some command extension that respond to user selection can be interfering the crop tool not working as well.

• By Linda Nicholls - 4:37 PM on April 16, 2011

I’m not using any extensions. It’s not a preferences problem. If I click on the eraser tool, my screen flashes. If I click through styles, my screen flashes and sometimes the system crashes. If I view videos on Youtube, my screen flashes and sometimes the system crashes. I suspect the problem is with Flash and Flash panels in applications like FW. I’m using a 27 inch imac and OSX version 10.6.7

• By Chris - 9:34 PM on April 12, 2011

Is there a way to import font families used in Dreamweaver? Did you make any fixes to network versions (like when the slideshow crashes?

When can we expect this update for CS5?

• By Mathias - 12:45 AM on April 13, 2011

Hi,
    great to see that Fw will receive an update too. Nevertheless I’m wondering, if the Flex 4 components will be available in Fireworks? Furthermore I’d be interested in the workflow with Catalyst. So far you can just export FXG but have no round-tripping like in Ai or Ps. The product managers of Fc were suprised too =) What’s the plan on this?

• By Tim - 4:20 AM on April 13, 2011

I have just discovered a big problem wrt symbols. When converting a rounded rectangle (used as a button) to a symbol, all is fine and saving the file, is OK. If I then open the file again and edit the symbol (e.g. just change colour of rectangle) the top and bottom edges go blurry – and there is no way back. Is this bug fixed in FW CS5.1? Would be a major headache resolved if it was. Thanks…

• By Jamhoc - 4:43 AM on April 13, 2011

Do all files on a mac still open full screen when the application frame is disabled?

Never used to do this until the application frame came along. Now I have to resize between 10-60 extra windows a day depending on how many fireworks files I open that day.

• By Peter Richardson - 5:28 AM on April 13, 2011

I was led to believe by Adobe ‘evangelists’ that Fireworks CS5 was supposed to fix all the problems with Adobe CS4??

• By Alecs Stan - 9:13 AM on April 13, 2011

When will the update for CS5 customers be rolling up ?

• By nocturnal YL - 5:38 PM on April 24, 2011

After CS5.5 (and thus Fireworks CS5.1 for CS5.5) is out.

• By ryan - 9:32 AM on April 13, 2011

the auto vector mask is really buggy (the mask doesn’t always use the proper dimensions).

would be awesome if you guys fixed up the font engine, the anti-alias options makes small fonts looks terrible and blurry.

• By Balavalli - 6:40 AM on April 17, 2011

Yes i totally agree with you ryan

• By Russ - 4:27 PM on April 15, 2011

Thank you for informing us of the forthcoming update! :)

• By Balavalli - 6:39 AM on April 17, 2011

Where can i find the new patches ??

• By Jamhoc - 4:00 AM on April 18, 2011

Can we have the “File Menu > Export > Pages to Files > Pages : Current Page” setting default to “All Pages” please.

It makes no sense to have to choose “Pages to Files” and then tell it again you want all pages not just a page.

Little tweaks like this make workflows so much smoother.

• By Robin - 11:54 PM on April 19, 2011

A bug that effects me all the time is not being able to save and load dual monitor workspace layouts. I can understand why this might be hard to get working but it would be good to have my palette layout restore on just a single monitor so I can drag the monster palette to the other monitor. Instead it just shows an error saying it couldn’t load it.

Thanks.

• By nocturnal YL - 5:44 PM on April 24, 2011

Great! The memory issue fix is much appreciated. I use Fireworks to help making Flash animaiton, and it is not uncommon that I could end up startng too many documents in Fireworks.

I hope to see Fireworks (and all other Adobe application, even the ones outside of CS) with an auto save feature. There are extensions and standalone programs that do the trick (for Flash, Fireworks, Photoshop and Illustrator), but it would be nice to have an official auto save feature.

The ability to read FXG would be appreciated too. (I did send this in as a feature request.)

• By tim - 5:19 AM on April 27, 2011

Please improve the anti-alias for fonts in Fireworks. In Photoshop it’s much better.

• By Zac Evans - 8:49 PM on June 7, 2011

+1 to this.. anti aliasing in general is superb in PS compared to FW – this would be a godsend!

• By Henry Moran - 5:48 PM on April 27, 2011

Would it be possible to get some information on what we can expect in the upcoming update from FW?

I would love to see a full featured PS Live effects panel.

Thanks,

- Henry

• By Eric - 3:41 PM on May 2, 2011

I “second” the many requests about improving FW’s terrible font display. We find ourselves migrating over to Photoshop for the simplest text graphics because the anti-aliasing in FW has been inferior for many versions now.

The fix for crashing on saves is great news! This happens all of the time at our workplace.

We are not upgrading our 100 licenses to CS5.5, so we definitely look forward to the 11.0.1 patch as soon as it is available!

• By Tom - 1:55 AM on May 4, 2011

Hi, would love to see the bug fixed that if you have objects with blending modes inside a Symbol, that these blending modes do not show if you are outside of that symbol.

• By mike - 6:35 AM on May 11, 2011

Can you have someone proofread your English before you post it?
    The grammar and general usage is terrible.

• By gbartosz83 - 12:10 AM on May 18, 2011

When can we expect Fireworksupdate for CS5?

• By Shao - 2:10 AM on June 1, 2011

PLease re introduce the way to preview and navigate fonts like photo or like previous FW 3 did in the past with @ least CTRL+F option …

• By Ben - 10:32 AM on June 1, 2011

Any chance Fireworks will be able to access more RAM? It seems like Fireworks only ever uses around 2GB.

We have to reduce the number of undos to 1 and save after almost every change. If we don’t, on save, we’ll see an “Unknown internal error occurred” and have to quit with unsaved changes.

We’ve seen this on four different Macs running 10.5.8 – 10.6.7 in CS5 – we’ve filled out bug reports, crash reports and feature requests.

• By Josie - 3:08 PM on June 22, 2011

Where is the link for fw 5.1? I can’t seem to find it.

• By Dave - 6:08 AM on June 28, 2011

Probably won’t get a response to this, but when is Adobe going to fix the Photoshop Live Effects in Fireworks? Half of them are useless because you cannot select any options or blending modes (gradient overlay – not able to adjust gradient, pattern overlay – bubbles anyone?, etc…)

I dont understand the lack of attention to this program, it seems like the Adobe folks don’t test Fireworks before making it public.

• By Amanbod - 8:38 AM on July 3, 2011

I fully agree with you Dave. This should be corrected / fixed.

It makes no sense that you have an option available (Photoshop Live Effects area) BUT you cannot do anything with it OR else it should be removed.

• By Atif - 7:56 AM on July 4, 2011

100% agreed with you!

• By KTC - 1:12 PM on June 30, 2011

BRING BACK CASCADING WINDOWS! I HATE TABS!

• By kimo_zh - 7:22 AM on July 13, 2011

thank u and I will update it to 5.1

• By Lauriz - 11:51 AM on July 27, 2011

tested the new fireworks cs5.1 which supossedly should have fixed many bug. unfortunately since the 3 days of testing it crashed 26 times. i can’t reproduce the crashes, it seems just to crash at every task whenever it likes. also the file restoration isn’t save, sometimes it just saves 0KB files. tested on mac os x 10.6.8.

my old cs5 crashed about one a month which is nothing (reagarding the crash-history of fw). so anyone who considers updateing. don’t do it.

• By Longitme FW fan - 3:19 PM on September 9, 2011

Unfortunately, I just purchased CS5 so i could move over to OS X 10.7. What a sad puppy I am. FW CS5 has an terrible bug that had I knew about before I would have stayed with FW in CS3. (Been using FW, daily, since 1999)

WHY, WHY, WHY must every image open up in full screen? What kind of idiot nonsense is that? FW from CS3 and earlier never did that. You open up 20 images at once and then have to spend time trying to find the hard-to-hit resize control and resize all the image. What a complete waste of time.

WHY Adobe, why did you ruin such a great program?

• By alejandro - 11:42 PM on October 19, 2011

I’m very upset with adobe,,, it seems that every fireworks release is worst and worst… I’ve got a new machine with 16 gb ram 2 tera hdd, i5, windows7, and the only program that crashes 5 times a day is fireworks,,, and is the program i use 80% of the time…. some times it just freeze when exporting, some times there is some “not enough memory” message… well if 16Gb ram is not enough memory for a 200k image i don’t know what else is…

what can i do?

• By Kyle Main - 8:51 AM on January 19, 2012

Please help, I have been troubled with a fireworks BUG for 3 years. I use a self made keyboard short-cut and use it 8 hours a day. Every time I close FireWorks, the app will forget and NO LONGER assign the keyboard shortcut. Other actions and menu selections with a keyboard shortcut will KEEP after reopening Fireworks. I have tried different keyboard shortcut keys (e.g., shift + C) or (Control + B [ re-assigned]) – 3 years, and finally I thought a release would fix this bug, but my whole team is now wanting to use the same keyboard shortcut (BUT without needing to re-program Fireworks). I’m using the [[[[ Select > Convert Marquee to Path ]]]] – this is the bug selection item. If you assign a keyboard shortcut and even save your own “Current Set” after duplicating the regular set of keyboard shortcuts. Please patch this or help me to make a patch, this is 3 years of finally thinking it is worth asking for help. Its a great tool to use if you can do it quick with keyboard shortcuts. I’m doing government Federal Work making eLearning with Images using Fireworks.

• By Guido - 9:38 AM on March 17, 2012

Hi, in my Windows version of fireworks the Color pipette for the brush tool is picking colors that are darker than the color that I am actually choosing. Please fix this as I use that function a lot!!

• By Guido - 9:39 AM on March 17, 2012

I am using Fireworks CS 5 (10.0.1.7).

• By Aida - 10:08 PM on March 23, 2012

Thank you for making Fireworks better, I love Fireworks, and I am using it a lot for mobile website mocks. Having more mobile templates would be great. I use Fireworks a lot, and I heard a rumor that it may not be included when CS6 comes out, hope that’s not true! I prefer Fireworks to Photoshop when it comes to Web Design, and I love how its so much easier to slice and do hot spots. Please keep improving it, and do not take it away from CS6. : )

• By Wawrzyniec - 11:49 PM on April 9, 2012

What about system anti alliasing? Using fireworks for creating website layouts and mockups without it has no sense.

• By caleb - 1:31 PM on April 11, 2012

I’m using the updated cs5.1 fully updated, and I’m still crashing when saving. Mac osx lion. any suggestions? looks like this should have been fixed a year ago?

• By Marcus - 8:25 PM on May 5, 2012

This is the WORST software ever created on the face of the entire earth, i’m a mac user using a macbook pro 15″ last generation, OSX Lion with all updates installed and also CS 5.5 suite including all updates too.

This soft always crashes, i mean, A-L-W-A-Y-S and this recovery system is a joke, never worked as expected, i can’t list the bugs here, we need to create a blog or something like that because the list of bugs are infinite!

• By Zen Alrighty - 10:40 AM on May 16, 2012

When I load a layered Jpg or Png image into FW CS5 on Max OS X10.7 from FW CS4, it openes as a bitmap and I can’t edit it?
    Can you help please!M
    Zen
    kenhappen@yahoo.com ; cell: 201 208 1900

• By Aline - 6:41 PM on April 11, 2013

Hello, just wanted to say, I loved this post. It was practical.

Keep on posting!